Melbourne 15th October
    JohnOz - P&D 12/70 plan - Target time 2:59

Abingdon 22nd October
    Reg Wand - DIY Plan  Target time TBA

HA77 - DIY Plan Target Time 2:30

Tom-P&D/DIY 12/70 plan-Target time TBA

AWC – P&D 12/55 – Target Time 3:29:59

Eryri/Snowdonia 28th October

Jooligan - DIY (P&D guided) Target Time sub 3:30 (aspirational sub 3:15)

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sheeez..... You set what you think is a ridiculous target time and still get accused of sandbagging. I guess I've got form now so have to expect it. 

What should my target time be instead? I know they've changed the olympic qualifying to 2:19 ............
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    2:19 might be pushing it a bit mate.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    2:19! Who do you think you are, big head.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I have entered as a speculative exercise, I want a sub 2:45 to get on the champs starts with the cool kids in London. The way things are going I am more likely to be walking round.

Lunch run today ended in a 1.5 mile walk having pulled my lower calf muscle. Having said that it doesn't feel too bad a couple of hours later so I don't know what's going on. I am seeing a sports therapist next week with a view to get a regular pummelling.

I even tried some of Spoons' Yoga for runners this morning, it's amazing how good I am at some of it and how god awful I am at other bits. Shows how I have totally fucked up certain parts of my body.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm just the same with yoga/pilates. Some of it is piss easy while other stuff is nearly impossible and even trying it is agony. I do find it useful though.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Reg- Hope the calf is nothing serious. I'll set out at 2:44:59 pace with you if you like?
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Macca... if you've walked up a mountain called Fan y Big, then it seems that it's MY geography that is ropey.  I thought you'd made it up, for comedy value  :p

Not sure if my ultra goes on the list, as it's not a marathon.  Jul 29th Pen Llyn Ultra - target time 22hrs.

I'll probably do an autumn marathon... and probably roughly follow the last few weeks of one of the 18/55 or 12/55 plan.  Will depend on family holiday plans... which might preclude the Dublin marathon (my first choice)...  or perhaps Chester - but being on 8th Oct, that doesn't leave me much time to recover from the ultra and refocus... but seeing Birmingham mentioned on 15th Oct, I'll  look at that as the timing is better.  One on 22nd October, if there is one, might be best.
  • New thread - love it!

Reg - us 'cool kids' would love to have you there - you've certainly got it in you (you're a much better runner than me) - hope the calf is ok.

HA - quality session there, I think 2.19 is more than achievable. 

Millsy - looks like you've got absolutely loads on!

I'm doing Amsterdam on the 15th of October and then Valencia (probably) in November. Could someone add me to the list? I always mess it up. Will be just seeing what I can run off the back of ironman training. 

Legs were very stiff this morning after yesterdays big bike-run. So I tuned it down a bit, swam for an hour in the morning and then ran 16 miles @ 7.25mm straight from the pool. This afternoon biked 62 miles in 3 and a half hours or so which had a fair bit of climbing. Enjoying a well earned beer now.. Day 4 of camp complete - 3 to go. 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    New thread's got everyone quite excited judging by the volume of posts.

Nice to know your body is a little bit normal JB - still a massive day's training.

NE/Macca - I've got a fell racing w/e coming up on the 8th & 9th Pen-y-Fan on Saturday then Fan-y-Big on Sunday.
    The 1st is short & brutal https://www.strava.com/activities/635250013
    the 2nd climbs 600m in 10.3M https://www.strava.com/activities/636567416

Run streak reaches 3rd day :smiley: 7M at sub 8s. Might even hit 100M for June at this rate! 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Getting back into it nicely Jooligan. I agree that a new thread is great for giving a boost in motivation. 

I know this is a P&D thread but as there are a few of us like NE and Joe with non-marathon target races, maybe we can add them to the list as well to get a better view of what each of us are working towards?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Birmingham 15th October
    SteveMac - P&D/DIY - Target Time TBA

Amsterdam 15th October

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

Melbourne 15th October

Abingdon 22nd October

Valencia 19th November

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Nice targets Joe!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Added you to the list Joe. I've given you a provisional target time of 2:39 for both but I might need to decrease that for Valencia depending on how you're coming along.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 2:19 target as well. Tokyo here I come. Delusions of granduer.

Reg - I agree with Joe. If you hold together I think you'll get 2:45. 

John - I think you can add whatever events you like to the list. Like you say it's a good way to see what everyone is up to. Just got to watch out for Macca doing a 100 mile ultra on the sly.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Just back from a nice 10 mile progression run. Started with a 6:40 and finished with a 5:45. Felt good. 6:12 m/m avg for the lot. Lovely running weather-very cool for June!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice one Tom. Back to the usual. I love a 10 mile progression. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the votes of confidence, the question is if I hold it together though! I've walked in 4 runs this year so I need to put as much focus on injury prevention as anything else. I have no doubts about running sub 2:45 with a good build up, but I realise that may never happen.

Nice to see a Tom special, I fully expect to hear him ring the beer o'clock bell this evening.

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Nice running Tom, normal service resumed.

Reg, apologies but you've been struggling with injury for as long as I've been on this thread so don't really know what performances you were knocking out before then. 2:45 is a good target though and champs start is definite motivation to get there. I'm hoping to be toe'ing the champs start line at London (after using the nice posh toilets) along side you all too.

9 hilly miles for me yesterday, pace is still down about 1min/mile from before holidays but endurance is improving as it's the first run this week that I haven't cut short.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Alan - I was expecting special toilet facilities at the champs start too. Unfortunately they're the same toilets as everywhere else and the lines are just as long. Very disappointing. 
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    HA77 said:
    Alan - I was expecting special toilet facilities at the champs start too. Unfortunately they're the same toilets as everywhere else and the lines are just as long. Very disappointing. 
    Can't actually believe how sad this news has just made me. Currently questioning life and it's purpose..

Saw your session from yesterday on strava HA77. Absolutely flying, and you wonder why we highlight your sandbagging. If you want us to believe 2:30 isn't achievable, you can't be knocking out performances like that!  :p
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Blimey I forgot this thread was going to end up like the others with Tom doing 4am LT sessions at a comfortable elite marathon pace :D
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    HA77 - yep your sessions are impressive at this stage of the build up so 2:30 is definitely on. I don't have any target races myself but I also remembered Spoons has talked about a few big bike races. Maybe we could start a separate list for trail/ultras/tri/bike races. 

AWC - it's a sure sign that we're back into the training when tom throws out the early morning runs! 

Alan and Reg - am sure 2:45 is on for both of you if your buildups are smooth. 
  • Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks for adding in HA. Absolutely no idea where I'll be running wise post-IM, but would probably make sense to have a crack a 2.40, will do some sessions in the build up which could give me some indication of fitness. 

Back with a bang Tom, that's speedy running mate.

The big week continues, with 90 minutes on the turbo this morning followed by an 8 mile run off the bike. Another 8 mile run on the cards this evening. Logged 26 hours of training so far this week. Two more big days this weekend, and then it's into the taper. Bring it on. 

I figure there's plenty of running chat in this post so it's perfectly acceptable..
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    AlanB said:
    HA77 said:
    Can't actually believe how sad this news has just made me. Currently questioning life and it's purpose..

It's all lies. They are still portaloos the same as elsewhere, and it is true that the queues have become slightly longer each year I've done it (every year since 2013) but they are nowhere near as long as the queues outside the champs area. This year I rocked up a bit late (staying nearby) and abandoned my non-championship friend in a MASSIVE queue outside. I was definitely peeing a good 5 minutes before she was. And there is a special marshal who goes round checking the toilet paper supplies and replenishing them.

However, if you want seriously good pre-race toilets, get yourself into Chester marathon as an elite runner. Actual cubicles and sinks with hot water.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Tom's already back and in form with that 10miler. 

After hearing about the VLM champs toilets situation I don't think I'll bother now with my 100 mile a week plan for a 2:44:59 ;)
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

The longest I have ever queued for the loos was at the champs start this year. HA and myself left it very late thinking there would be no queue at all. As a result we hardly had any time to warm up. Didn't effect his performance though! 

Massive week you are having Joe....you must be in phenomenal shape!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I spent 20 minutes chilling out in the GFA toilet and almost missed the start. When I emerged everyone had gone.
  • Ooh new thread, how exciting! Welcome jtced. News that the champs start toilets aren’t gold plated may force me to entirely rethink my running goals...

Great reports in the old thread NE and AWC, nice work. 

Joe’s epic week of training seems to be going well, top stuff. 

Also nice to see Tom back at the epic early morning sessions. 

I’ve been finding the motivation to get out running a bit lacking this week. Only managed 10 miles so far! Various excuses like being in London for a few days, but I could have got out if I really wanted to. Anyway, I’ve still been keeping up the bike rides, and I’m looking forward to Cardiff a week on Sunday, although I probably haven’t done enough hills to be fully prepared!

My autumn target race is the Oxford Half. Looking forward to getting stuck in to some proper miles again. Lest I be accused of sandbagging I’ll declare a target of sub-80, although may revise up depending on how things go! Might be a touch ambitious, but given I did 83 in Feb on a windy day, after four consecutive 100 mile weeks, and with not much of a taper, I’d like to think I could get close at least...

• Oxford Half 8th October

RunSpoonRun - P&L 100 mi HM plan - Target Time 79:59

Birmingham 15th October

Amsterdam 15th October

Melbourne 15th October

Abingdon 22nd October

Valencia 19th November

• Right, I'm back and looking to target Abingdon - I'm on the waiting list, if another spot comes up I'll take it. I'm not sure about targets just yet, I haven't run a great deal since London, and my body is still a bit delicate, so I'll wait and see how I get on over the next few weeks.  

Oxford Half 8th October

RunSpoonRun - P&L 100 mi HM plan - Target Time 79:59

Birmingham 15th October

Amsterdam 15th October

Melbourne 15th October

Abingdon 22nd October

Coops - P&D gently gently version - Target time TBA 

Valencia 19th November