Half marathon wobble

I'm training for my first half marathon at the end of June (9 weeks to go). Yesterday evening I ran 9 miles and by the end of that my legs were killing me - really aching - and I felt like I couldn't have run another step. This has got me wobbling and wondering how on earth I'll be able to add another 4.1 miles onto that. They still hurt today, but from being on my feet too long rather than DOMS if you see what I mean?

Most people say that ten miles should be the longest you need to run before a half marathon, but psychologically, I feel like I need to go further.

I know I'm probably just being daft and that I still have 9 weeks left, but can anyone reassure me? Many thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• You've got plenty of time Kate.  You don't say how often you're running or at what intensity.  It sounds like you'd benfit from a cutback week; so just 3 short runs, at a really easy pace, to give your body a chance to recover and benefit from the training that you've done to date.  After that, perhaps just stick at 9-10 miles as your longest run for a couple of weeks before adding an extra mile to your long slow run for the next couple of weeks. 

It's true that if you build up to 10 miles in training you will have done enough to complete your half.  The key is to listen to your body and not to push yourself too hard or you risk giving yourself an injury which will stop you even starting the race.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • Thanks Trogs. I'm running three or four times a week depending on work/school holidays and kids. I do one long run, one parkrun (which I use as a tempo session) and one or two easy 3 -5 miles. 

I did a 10k (pb)  nearly three weeks ago and then got a pb in the parkrun 6 days later (my first under 30 minutes which I was quite chuffed about). I also think I may be going a little fast on the long runs so I guess I might be overdoing the pace a little.

I'm volunteering at tomorrow's parkrun, so will probably do easyish runs on Sunday and Monday and maybe not go so far on Thursday (Thursday is long run day). I think I know I'll be OK really - just wobbling a bit
  • Sounds like your sessions are spot on Kate - as long as you remember that your long run is a long, SLOW, run :-)  Generally you want to finish it feeling like you could have carried on for a little while longer. 

Congrats on your recent pbs; you're well on target for your half.  The build up to the first is always a bit scary!
  • Dont worry about it - on race day you will have fresh legs. Youve run your longest run on tired legs. 
    if you have 9 weeks left you could easily work up to race distance - just add a mile a week to the long run, with a few step back weeks and then a taper. 

• You will be fine. On race day, you would have rested a few days and your legs will be raring to go! Don't underestimate the power of race conditions too! It really will give you a boost!
  • JoeyJoey ✭✭
    :p
    Kamagra Oral Jelly , Kamagra 50mg Tablets ,Kamagra 100mg Tablets ,Super Kamagra 100mg .

http://www.directkamagrauk.co.uk
  • Hi Kate, you don't say if you're following a plan i.e. RW, ASICs or similar.  If not, I would highly recommend them as they can indicate when to take a cutback week and give you a good idea of long run pace compared to your parkrun pace - try the smartcoach tool on here - I used that and a RW half marathon plan for my first HM and it really gave me a lot of confidence in what I was doing.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Fantastic, Kate, well done!
  • Congratulations Kate, job well done :smile:
  • Sorry to jump on this post but could someone please explain how i write a new post? I just want to ask what the Manchester half marathon is like before i sign up to it. Thank you.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    You have to post 3 comments before you can post a new thread, apparently (to stop spammers).  So just post another couple of times, and you will be able to start a thread.
  • Ah! I've been struggling with trying to figure that out too! Thanks Lisa!!!
  • stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    Got my first half marathon at the start of October. Have had a couple of weeks off after stubbing toe badly running down the stairs. Thought I'd broken it for a moment. Anyway, legs were really aching just after doing first Parkrun back on Saturday. Shows difference even a short break in training can make.
  • Have my first half in Feb terrified as I just seem to have no stamina at all right now but will keep pushing.
  • As a new runner, I have similar challenges with fatigue and mentally being able to complete. Once I get my post count to 3 I might raise a question thread on it!
  • If I could go back to 2014 when I did my first half marathon to give me some advice it would be "Keep building up the volume week by week and vary the types of runs" e.g. 3-4 runs per week varying between tempo, fartlek, easy, long run (usually at the weekend, increasing it week by week up to race day), interval etc. And if you find long runs daunting, then do them at the weekend and listen to podcasts to help your mind wander. Any enjoy it!
    PB's:

10K: 00:46:18
    Half Marathon: 01:33:42
    Full Marathon: 03:37:21

I adore metal music. And running. Preferably at the same time.
  • Fartlek a cool new word i've learnt on here
  • : ) Believe it originates from Sweden and translates as "speed play"
    PB's:

• My second half is in two weeks. I really haven't run enough over the summer (difficult with kids being off school) and then I was ill a couple of weeks ago. Was thinking I should probably not do it, but I thought I's go out this afternoon and see how far I could get before making a final decision.

I managed 17km (10.5 miles) with no ill effects (except for aching legs!), so I think if I can do that, I can probably manage a half marathon. Got a 10k next weekend as a "warm up"!
  • 10.5 miles is great! 10k chipped races/events are super warm ups in my opinon, and on race day you'll be buzzing on adrenalin so will be able to hit 13.1 miles no problem. Just don't go out too hard at the start which am sure we've all been guilty of in the past.
    If you can't smash out longer runs in the training building up to the half, try and do x2 10k on successive days. The next day you're body and legs will be a little sore but it's replicating the latter part of the half, which you naturally have to push through.
    PB's:

• I had the same problem when I"ve started running. After few miles I felt exhausted but then with training and will power things get better. Running is not just physical challenge but,mostly, mental. Don't think about the end nad try to enjoy your run, maybe exploring new routes.
  • I'm signed up to my first half marathon too and your post has given me reassurance - well done for completing it and raising all that money too!
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    > @butterfly said:
    > I'm signed up to my first half marathon too and your post has given me reassurance - well done for completing it and raising all that money too!

Good luck, build up slowly and learn to enjoy it. I've far too many friends sign up to and complete a marathon to never run again. I did my first HM on Sunday and am about to decide which one to do next.
  • I'm about to start training for my first half too. Eek. Glad it went well for you!
  • PS mine is in May and I'm worried about the heat in London... How was it in June??