P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Yep Tom's post did feel like going back in time which is exactly what the weather appears to have done too.
    Nice list forming.
    I'm sure you'll nail that HM Spoons if you put the planned miles in then taper for it.
    About to go do 5M to bring my month's running total up to a day in the life of Macca ;)
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Welcome back JCG!

interested in your HM exploits Spoons. Looks like you are going all out for a sub 80. 

Ive just booked my VLM hotel. £185 for 3 nights. Bargain. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Sub 80 is well within your compass spoons!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Time to call the first Beer O'Clock of the new thread.....Cheers everyone!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I've just registered for Manchester in April. 2 weeks before VLM and bang in the middle of the Easter holidays.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    No london Tom?

Sorry to hear your news coop. It can be very upsetting so hope you're ok. Good to see you on the abingdon list.

13 mile trail run this afternoon followed by a recovery speckled hen. It's got the perfect carb to alcohol ratio.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    HA-Haven't decided yet about London. Might do one or the other or both! Nice run and I like that type of recovery....

Very sorry to hear that news JCG. Hope you are ok. It must have been a tough time for you so glad things seem to be improving. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I've still not heard from London Marathon re GFA place :s 
    Well as suspected I'm not as fit as I was. Did a 5M MAF test after work & I've lost 26s/mile for 1 bpm higher. Don't suppose the extra 5kg is helping any. On the plus side that's the ton in June done & run streak stretches to 4 days now  :D
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Jools- give them a ring first thing on Monday on 020 7902 0200
    I hadn't heard after 2 weeks so rang them in the week. Took about 15 mins to get through but found out I'd typed my email address incorrectly in the rush to get it in before going on holiday. They sorted it within a couple of hours. 

Major parkrun panic for me at 7:30, unplugged my watch from the charger and it had frozen (not the best when you are the 21 min pacer) managed to reset it but then got the low battery warning. Had to run down with it connected to a power bank. Enjoyed pacing a couple of people to PBs, coming in in 20:54. Including the run home it's about 10 miles for the day. 
  • Great to have you back Coops. I'm sensing a triathlon comeback from you. So sorry to hear about the news. 

Excellent pacing millsy - would've been difficult without the garmin!

Nearly through the 'training camp'. 4 hours (75 miles) on the bike followed straight into 13 miles @ 7.05mm - surprisingly felt good considering the 32 hours I've 'banked' this week. 

Just the 1 hour swim and 3 hour run tomorrow and then I'll have a well deserved day off. 

Anyone racing tomorrow? Enjoy the rest of the weekend regardless! 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Yes Joe I think you deserve a day off. Incredible training!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    18 miles @ 6:40 m/m avg for me this morning felt harder than I was expecting/hoping. First long run since London though so something to build on with a nod to the Autumn campaign. Lovely weather here. Hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday!
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Great pace on the long run Tom. 

Incredible training volumes JB! Just seeing it on Strava is making me feel lazy.

15 mile longish run in the heat today. Brings up 60 for the week. Very happy with that after last Saturday's race.
  • Tom - great running mate, you've got to take that for a first run back, 18 miles is significant! 

Millsy - was hot out there today for sure, decent mileage this week, strava suggests the route wasn't too inspiring? 

So 'Camp Spragg' has come to a close. I've never done anything like this before and it was slightly surreal, getting to the end of today's run felt more like approaching the finish line of a race than just a normal long run -feel like I've actually achieved something which is odd.

Today was a 3.4km swim followed immediately by a 22 mile run (very steady - 7.50mm). Mentally it was really tough as I was knackered - had to slog it out in the sun. 

Final numbers; 83 miles ran, 414 miles biked and 13km swam for a grand total of 36 hours. Surprised it didn't break me, will wait and see what happens in the ironman before I decide whether it's actually worhwhile or not - hard to tell either way I guess.

Off to eat a pizza, drink some beer, and finish it off with a tub of ice cream. 
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your recovery food JB. 
    The route I ran has some amazing views but it seems that many people are using some of the secluded lanes to dump all their crap. One day I'll remember to take some pictures. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Why would you want to take pictures of rubbish, Millsy? Good week's mileage though, although Joe did more running than that with a the cycling and swimming on top!

Kudos to you for a mammoth week Joe. I think that's about the volume the Brownlees do every week when they're in full swing. I have a similar thing planned, well like a diet version of what you did but 2 weeks around the 25 hour mark, I plan to take a couple of days off each week just to smash out some big rides/swims. I'll probably get injured though!

Decent run that Tom. I did 90 miles on the bike yesterday, first long ride in the TT position and my back was very sore afterwards. Despite this I managed to do 13 miles on foot this afternoon, albeit very slowly.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Impressive stuff from the usual suspects.
    Nice long run Tom.
    As I said on Strava that was some ride Reg. 21.4mph average over that distance is awesome.
    60M after a tough marathon is no mean feat Millsy.
    Hats off to you though JB on that volume especially as you weren't hanging about on the bike or the run. I did 560M on the bike in 7 days at the end of May with 14,000m of climb but I only ran 13.3M & swam 2M in that time though I'm positive the bike training was what made the difference at Tri X. 

My run streak continues with day 6 bringing me to 41M for the week. Very slow 12K today sweeping our tri-club's annual Aquathlon. I also marked out the route first thing on the MTB then had to cycle home as I was in the pub so long afterwards my car got locked in! Probably for the best as I'd had more than a pint. Means I'll have a lot of biking to do tomorrow. Fingers crossed the forecast is correct
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Great week Joe. Like Jools says, great pace too. 36 hours in a week is crazy. I was happy with my biggest week in a while at 58 miles, but to run 83 miles on top of all the cycling and swimming is really impressive. Looking forward to seeing how your race goes.

Tom the machine is back. Great opening long run of the campaign. I can't help thinking of you as the T1000 from Terminator2. 

Well done on the aquathon Jools.

Nice ride/run combo Reg.

Millsy - Good long run with last week's marathon still in the legs
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to hear your news JCG, sending some love your way and hope you guys are coping okay.

Training seems a bit irrelevant after news like that. But,

A 36 hour training week probably puts some of the professionals to shame Joe, very impressive. Hope it's filled you with confidence before your taper.

That's a very decent post marathon training week Millsy, hopefully you've given your legs enough recovery too.

Tom - Casually disappointed with your first long run at 6:40's pace. Don't ever change :)

Nice consistent training Jooligan, looks like you're getting the mojo back.

Decent weekly mileage HA with a couple solid sessions too.

Solid 70 mile comeback week for me last week. All very slow but not worried about that at the moment, just building the endurance and still doing work on my back and achilles so that hopefully they don't give me any more problems. Much of the same planned again this week.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Very nice work Reg-looking promising if you can remain injury free!

Impressive weekly mileage from Millsy and Alan-building nicely.

Getting right back into it now Jooligan.

Not much more I can add about Joe and his amazing training. Superb stuff!

HA-last time you saw me I was about to collapse in a heap-hardly machine like!  

6 mile jog this morning-legs on the heavy side!
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Awesome work during the week Joe!!
    Impressive running as always Tom!

Big back to back weekend for me, did 28.3 miles on Saturday and another 12.5 miles on Sunday. Tried to do 12 with 3 at MP on Sunday but legs were not having any of that so did 2 with an easy one in the middle of the 2 MP efforts. That topped off a 65 mile week and 2 back to back weeks of 60+ miles.

Recovery week this week (approx. 35 miles), then another 2 big weeks before tapering.
  • PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭
    Hey - just noticed the thread. I'm on the P&D up to 70 miles plan in prep for Frankfurt in October. Sounds like this is the right place, so I'll jump in!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Welcome PJF. What's the date & target so we can add you to the list?
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Welcome PJF, definitely the place for you. With some fresh blood appearing probably worth putting a reminder to the Strava group, especially if you want your feed dominated by Joe.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/176424

• PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭
    Cool cool it's Frankfurt marathon 29 October 2:59:59 sounds good. Well thats my primary target, I guess it may take a couple of campaigns to get there so 7mm or 3:05 would still be a success! I'll get on the strava tip as well although I use Garmin connect to track performance against... no one really, just myself!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭

Oxford Half 8th October

RunSpoonRun - P&L 100 mi HM plan - Target Time 79:59

Birmingham 15th October
    SteveMac - P&D/DIY - Target Time TBA

Amsterdam 15th October

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

Melbourne 15th October
    JohnOz - P&D 12/70 plan - Target time 2:59

Abingdon 22nd October
    Reg Wand - DIY Plan  Target time TBA

HA77 - DIY Plan Target Time 2:30

Tom-P&D/DIY 12/70 plan-Target time TBA

AWC – P&D 12/55 – Target Time 3:29:59

Coops - P&D gently gently version - Target time TBA 

Eryri/Snowdonia 28th October

Jooligan - DIY (P&D guided) Target Time sub 3:30 (aspirational sub 3:15)

Frankfurt 29th October

PJFrizzle - P&D up to 70mpw - TT 2:59:59 (A) 3:05 (B)

Valencia 19th November

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Pjf-great to have you on board! Nice sub 3 target. Will this be your first marathon?
  • PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭
    Hi Tom - it's #5 I've been steadily improving, last race and PB was Berlin 2015 it was 3:10 P&D worked pretty well...since then I've been focussing on HM. So I've got Frankfurt in Oct then a GFA for London in April, I'd love to break 3 this year but recognise it may take a couple of attempts!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Welcome PJF. Good luck with that sub3 target. 

The list is looking decent now.

Did my hills + progression session today. Went well and felt a bit stronger at the end this time. I've also started doing some fast downhill sections too.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Welcome PJF, the 55-70 miles a week plan has managed to get many of us to that Sub-3 over the years. How have you done with the HM's?