Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• Thanks guys.

T-Rex what's this 3 stars? Hope the knee is better soon pal.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Well, you've only got two at the moment ...  You've got to keep posting!

Pen Llyn ultra place finalised at last and cabin booked for a week's hols 22-29 July.  With one of the UKs toughest marathons and possibly toughest ultras on the two weekends I think the rest of the time will be on the beach! 

Logistics are a nightmare because we've got a wedding to go to on the Friday before in Bournemouth, which we're going to by train.  Mrs T Rex will stay there another night while I return home on Saturday, collect the dog, load the car, drive to Snowdonia, and register for the marathon.  Next day run the marathon and go to Bangor station to pick up Mrs TR, where she will go direct from Bournemouth.

Coming back we've got to be out by the next Saturday morning, so drive on to Pwllheli on Friday, register for the ultra, deposit me in the campsite, Mrs TR goes back to the cabin for the last night and drives home Saturday morning with the dog. Meanwhile I run for 24 hours and go home on the train on Sunday with my camping stuff.

Anyone see a flaw in the plan??
  • What could possibly go wrong
  • That is quite some plan TR. Is the hound joining you to run the marathon? How the injury?

I really have a struggle to get up to fitness for the SNOD Trail. Managed a relatively pain free 11 miles this morning but very slow. Haven't run more than 18 miles for about 8 weeks now. Thought about dropping down to the half but they want to charge £10 to chance distances! Surely they could stop me just following the half marathon route at split? Perhaps I better take a tenner with me to hand to the marshal!! 

• sounds like a logistical nightmare t-rex :)
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    You're better prepared than me, TLG - you'll get round OK.

Yes, there is that flaw - what exactly do I do with the dog while I'm running the marathon?   Rather a long time to keep him inside ...

I'll have to think about that.

• Ha, I doubt that TR. Going by this morning's run I had better pack a head torch and tent as it is going to be a very long day!

Best marathon (apart from SNOD obviously) opens today but fills fast and only 150 places. Broadway marathon 19th Nov. A really tough but very scenic trail run (no navigation required). www.cotswoldrunning.co.uk/broadway-marathon-&-half

• Hi all, having settled down to life in france, joined local running club, and ran a few trail races . I need to star thinking about training for Snowdon, maybe after this bottle of wine. Sub 4 hours !!!
  • BritNickBritNick ✭✭✭
    It was nice to see Brer Rabbit last Saturday after Baslow Boot Bash. 26+ miles up and down the hills and dales of Derbyshire in that heat and humidity was quite a challenge, but most of us survived I think. Racing seems to be a bad idea at the moment. Trouble is I've got Offerton 10k coming up tomorrow evening and it's going to be even hotter than it is today. It'll help with the unbroken run of PWs.
  • mharfmharf ✭✭
    Hope to do this next year 
  • MisfitMisfit ✭✭✭
    I'm selling my place for this event if anyone is interested in doing the swap via the snowdonia marathon website
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    If that place is still going Misfit I know of someone who says he was after a place
  • MisfitMisfit ✭✭✭
    Yes, its still available.  I have the voucher code already for the replacement runner to use if you/they want to PM me their contact details.  Thanks!
  • Thanks to Misfit and John Bach for the place. Well after 8 years away, i'm going to take on the Snowdonia Marathon again. lets hope it goes better this year
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Nice one Poopster. What happened 8 years ago? I'm sure with your recent training you'll have a better one this year
  • I know 'up-and-down' instead of 'around' is not not long enough for most of you wonderful nutters, but just wondered if anyone (Panad?) is doing the Snowdon Race in two weeks time? I shall be working with the tv crew on the field as usual.
  • Morning- Well according to my calendar this is week 1 of my training for the mighty Snod!
    Anyone else starting a training plan?. Mind you most people on here do Marathons or ultras every other week  :)
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    FOOW Mr Panad is doing ras yr wyddfa, and i'm pretty certain TR45 is as well.  I'll be around in Cae'r Ddol, so will look out for you!

RR I keep starting a training plan...it doesn't seem to last long until I fall back into same old same old though..need to get some focus back and some miles on the clock!
  • I know exactly what you mean Panad, I also struggle to stick to a plan especially when the weather is hot it is tempting to go out on my bike instead. The one time I did stick to a plan religiously I did get my best time so I guess they do work 
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Lol! Me too regards the bike and my best time!
  • FOOW yep I'm doing Ras Yr Wyddfa
  • Well Saturday I took on the Snowdonia Quarter a 44 mile ultra marathon starting in Borth y Gest and finishing in Conwy. But it turned out the organisers had got the distance wrong it ended up being 47.9 miles with 10775ft of climb through the off road course.<div>
    </div><div>It was without a doubt the most brutally beautiful event I have ever done. It was basically a 48 mile fell race through the stunning play ground that is Snowdonia,  across the beautiful Conwy mountains and finishing in the historic towns Quay.</div><div>
    </div><div>The route took in the mighty Snowdon going up the Watkins path and down the Miners track with the perfect weather conditions the majestic views across this course made the event one amazing experience.</div><div>
    </div><div>The terrain had everything a Fell/Trail runner could want from massively steep climbs, crazy technical descents, running through miles of bogs/swamps, rocky tracks that were practically streams with the weeks rain coming of the mountains and long grassy trails.</div><div>
    </div><div>At times I felt like giving up, from the cramps in my quads at the top of Snowdon with 30 miles to go to the vomiting up an energy gel and salted potatoes at 30 miles because I eat them to quick. I remember the overwhelming feeling at 26 miles realising I'd run a mountain marathon and still had over 20 miles to go!</div><div>
    </div><div>The last 4 miles nearly broke myself and my running buddy Helen (we ran it together) as we were expecting to have finished at 44miles.</div><div>
    </div><div>We crossed the line hand in hand in 13:21:11 </div><div>
    </div><div>Apart from the mistake with the distance this was an amazing event, well organised from beginning to end.</div><i></i>
  • What a Fantastic achievement TR45, extremely well done. That is one long training run! :)
    Bet you feel sore today?!

Hello to all the new people on the forum. I managed 168 miles for June. Would have liked more but was unable due to my little one being poorly. He is fine now.

Mainly slow plods, but the past week did some faster stuff, threw in a few sub 7 minute miles and felt good.

Hope to get the mileage back over 200 this month.
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Well done TR45!  Sounds like it was an adventure in every terrain and emotion possible.  Fair play to the two of you for keeping going!  Ras yr wyddfa (and the marathon) will be a piece of cake after that  ;)
  • That is one epic run TR45 well done on completing it.
    Where is Trex? Hope he hasn't got lost on his bike!
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Nice one TR45. Good to hear that the event was well organised. Have you done the Snowdonia 50 which usually takes place in September? I've heard very good reports about that event, the course & the organisation - although it is a bit more than 50 miles (I'm sure one of my club mates said it was just under 58 miles!)
  • Thanks all, JB no I haven't done the 50 but have talked to people who have and yes they said it's about 57! 
  • Nice one TR45. SNOD is going to feel like a park run after that!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Well done TR.  That's immense.  Didn't know you did ultras, especially hard ones like that.  Those races are called Quarters because the start and finish cover 90 degrees of the compass between two coastal points.

I can't race in June due to work commitments.  The SNOD 50+ is on my bucket list.

I'm still around, but not much running getting done.  I've got a knee problem.  Marathon and ultra to come this month, but before that Velothon Wales next weekend.  I've now done the major hill on the route seven times in training, six of them at night, and got my time down for it from 44 minutes to 29 minutes which is something.

Might have solved what to do with the dog while I'm doing the SNOD trail marathon.  T Rex Jnr is thinking of coming up to stay as well for the first weekend.  In keeping with our household there is a nutter element to this plan - he intends to cycle up to Caernarfon on the Saturday - from Cardiff!!
  • Thanks T-Rex, Over the last few years I've been getting more and more into off road running and especially the fells hence why I haven't done Snod for while. But the Snowdonia Quarter was my first official ultra and longest so far!