Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Well I am not up to normal training volumes yet, but I am pain free around the hips now so glad to run on the days when I have the time and don't feel worn down. I will still be under 40 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - which marathon is it that you are doing?

Muddy - have you looked at vale of York half in September? I've entered that one for a crack at a time.

Lou - wish I was at the stage where an easy 20 wasn't strenuous! I've done one so far and I certainly wasn't up to running 10 miles the next day.

Lit - how's your running going? 

18.16 parkrun for me this morning which is much better than my last effort 5 weeks ago (19.03). Although coming back from injury is kind of frustrating there's also something nice about seeing the fitness start to return and the times coming down.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Not bad, thanks Mr V. I've been a bit slow and shit for ages but have been patiently doing 50-mile weeks and waiting to get fit again, and now seem to be getting back to some more encouraging form. That's a good improvement on the parkrun!
  • Options
    Mr V - I can't make the date for Vale of York so will be doing either Major Stone up north or Kenilworth, and the Isle of Axholme. Birmingham half for sure in October. Good parkrunning! 

Black Country 10k for me this morning finishing 7th in 37.55 on my watch for threshold effort.  I was surprised to pick up the v40 prize (£20) as there were a couple of baldy 'eds ahead of me but won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Good to see you posting and running well again, Mr V

I love how you can win the V40 prize at threshold effort, muddy!  Must be wonderful to have that amount of talent.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the scale, I've completed over 60 km this week for the first time in three months.  I'm getting less slow and shit too :)  Might have to throw in some harder efforts soon.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes, is like to threshold a 37 minute 10k!!!

Sounds like your at a good level, Pete.

Just completed my first 40 plus week in ages with 17 today to give me 42 for week. I decided (following a beer festival yesterday) to delay the 17 until 3pm. By then the sun was in full flow. Kept it very easy at 8.50 pace. 

Mr v, I'm running the inaugural Birmingham Marathon. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Good stuff from muddy and V

and well done Pete and DT on the kilometerage/mileage

I managed an 11 yesterday for a 32M ( 51km B) ) week which is my second biggest week and second longest run since January ( 42M / 15M ). Came out at 8:54/M at a mid-easy HR range ... can definitely feel some strength returning now and my injury woes appear to be in the past (* touches wood ).

Wish i was 20 years younger though, it might return a bit quicker then  :/
  • Options
    jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    What qualifies as 'overdoing it'?  I feel pretty achy this morning after my weekend...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done Mace.

jtced, Id say feeling achy is fine if you've trained hard. It's now up to you how you deal with the aches as to whether you tip into overdoing it.

I'm feeling achy after yesterdays 17. Though is it was run so slow (I'd normally look towards 8mm), in time on feet terms that was equivalent to 19. Tonight I plan 20 minute treadmill recovery followed by spin.

I have recently joined strava. I am gobsmacked by the training paces put in by pretty much all my running equals. It's a bit like a permanent thread on here where everybody posts completely unstructured mental sessions. They are probably going to think I am a right lazy sod.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well done muddy! & mace, Pete & DT for the training. I did a very pleasant (except for the dead deer) 15-mile run yesterday, while feeling grateful I was not doing the Edinburgh 70.3 like some of my nutter friends.

I think Strava encourages runners to train like twats. Ooh, that's a good example of 'overdoing it', jtced: running as fast as you can all the time so people on strava don't think you're slow.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    8 pints on a Sunday night would do it for me
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That is why I have held back from joining so far. I am adopting the approach that I will feel smug for the lack of effort I put in to achieve the same level as my running equals.

• Options
    The problem is that Strava only allows one to give kudos and comment, and you can come across as the training police that way if you comment on paces. My son has learned something at school, "my body, my choice" which he rolls out at every opportunity when I decline to feed him sugar. I think this is the approach a lot of people have when it comes to owning their training. I think this ownership is why they can resent any comments made with the best of intentions.

I was discussing this with DT last night and the idea that the harder you work, the better you get is ingrained, even in top elite athletes, but it is misconstrued by many people. The hard work takes place from teenage years; it's hard because it involves sacrifice and dedication to nutrition, sleep and recovery. It is not hard because it involves running like a nutcase throughout. Instead I think people (wannabe athletes, and wannabe coaches) need to work this in reverse - that the more you improve, the more capacity you have; that the more you "spend" on recovery, the more capacity you have. Then again, in reference to Pete's compliment about my talent I do wonder if I've got it all wrong, and my own ability to respond quickly to moderate training (and less well to hard training, both in volume and intensity) has completely skewed my perspective.

Anyway, I don't feel sore or achy today, apart from sunburn from picnic-ing all afternoon. I will still take it very easy with a core session and a recovery jog. No point following a hard day with a hard day, Jtced.

Good mileage Pete, and good long runs there DT, Mace and Lit.

37 miles for me last week and a vomit free parkrun marshalling stint. So I did manage to meet last weeks goal of increasing mileage, and hope to push on a bit more this week. A hilly trail half marathon awaits me next Sunday, a much tougher proposition than 10k at threshold, but I feel strong enough to give it some marathon effort over some of that distance.
  • Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi everyone

The TTT hasn't been updated since 17th May so I've sacked TTT Dan and moved back into my old job - sorry T'Dan but the thread needs its foundations.

So attached file updated for:-
    Me being a year older and half a stone fatter less skinny.
    Muddy being a year older half a stone less skinny too but still being able to tempo his way to an age category prize  B)
    Mace allowing me to utilise the 'less than' symbol for first time ever on the TTT.
    Lou putting on a few pounds.
    Lit winning two stunning prizes in the Chariots of Fire race - I loved the golden spade. B)
    DT being heavier too.

Perhaps the TTT was a heavier a burden than T'Dan was expecting with us all putting weight on.

Three other points of note.
    There is no home in the TTT for Tommy's wind assisted road mile of 5:13.
    Prizes need to be for merit so spot prizes aren't eligible (and I presume the raffle prize discussion was to tempt me back from retirement - more of that in next post).
    I've hidden the BMI nonsense.

Cheers

(not quite as) Skinny 
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Skinny!!!! <3 You're alive!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    hurrah...now I have purpose to lose weight!!!!!
  • Options
    Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Yes - where have I been?

Well firstly I can't run because my foot is still not better so I've been trying not to think about running.

Secondly I wanted a bit of time to decide whether I really wanted to attempt to do the London Marathon again or whether I was just doing it because I posted on here. I am entered now but my foot may make that decision irrelevant.

Thirdly last week was my 25th wedding anniversary and we spent the week cycling round the Loire valley from chateau to chateau eating good food and French wine (not our favourite) and generally having a lovely time.

As my foot is still not okay I'm probably going to disappear again for a bit but just thought I needed to sack T'Dan and reappoint myself before DT got any stupid ideas! ;)

McF - delighted to see you are managing to run again so soon and hope it goes well. Enjoy your holiday.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It is a tricky one, Muddy. The problem is, invariably these runners still make some gains so it is difficult to persuade them they don't need to do it. Then, when the gains slow, their natural response is to smash it more and then injury follows.

I am also seeing no real defined structure in anyone's training as I scroll through it. If you look through mine (I like to think) you can see where I am going each week.

• Options
    Welcome back skinny! Strava might encourage people to train inappropriately and this thread generally encourages sensible behaviour, but I have to admit i have notice there is a tendency for certain people on this thread to pressure others into running (or at least entering) marathons.  sorry, I won't do it again.
    DT - I think strava is interesting to see how people have done in races, but you'll be better off ignoring the training data.
    Congratulations to all the weekends racers.
    jtced - overdoing it is when you don't heed the warnings and the aches and pain develop into a proper injury.  A bit of aching is normal, but the trick is knowing when to ease off.
    Leisurely twenty miles for me on saturday; all off road and with the first six with a very lazy dog.  Took over three hours altogether.  Though I did practice eating some snacks en route. Recovery six yesterday, complimented with some heavy deadlifts, so I'm definitely aching today. Fortunately, monday is rest day!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good to see I am not the only chubbing on at present! I currently don't have any weighing scales so cannot attempt to change it. I have been smashing the press ups of late, just trying to do a block each day. At the point now where 35 is unchallenging so need to graduate beyond that.

It is quite surprising looking through strava. Some of the people (who are generally good runners) who I thought would be smashing it seem to run a sensible way. Everyone at my level or just below don't seem particularly keen on running slower than 7.30mm.

Interval session planned over lunch. I have to play a 6 a side football match tomorrow night with work. From a running perspective I am not happy, particularly as I am 1 of 3 expected to play the full hour whilst my other less fit colleagues will do rolling subs.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - It's interesting isn't it. There's one guy on strava I know who runs all his miles at 7m/m but only just manages a sub 40 10k. He does pretty decent mileage as well so not sure how he physically manages it.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    DT - i think you're spot on about strava. Seems a tool that invites overdoing training to look like a hero. 

The holding the fastest "segments" part seems the most mental. So you hold the fastest 1.3mile from Dirty Hoe Lake to the Three Cocks Pub, what of it? 

My club seem to be big on it, but then my club seem to have quite a few chaps who do an insane amount of races. I think it was the bank holiday weekend that I clocked a couple doing a 10mile race Friday, 5k full on saturday, and then a 5miler MT Monday.
    A couple have done marathons in April, but then continued to storm at least one race a week since.

Meanwhile, I did a sub 5.5 mile offroader Saturday that was demanding, and 3 days on i'm still feeling a lil knackered, so much so i'm binning off tonight's potential 5k! 

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Stevie guess it just depends on what your body is used to. I know a few people who race all the time because that's what they enjoy and they seem to be able to recover fine and not get injured. 
  • Options
    Tommy's our resident race-fiend, isn't he.  I think I'm just too lazy to both run fast in training and race very often.  I do like quality sessions, though, but prefer to plod the rest of the time.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, I am finding now that unless I have my head geared up for a session, I struggle to want to run faster than 8mm.

Press-ups are going well, pushed to 45 last night then 50 this morning. Still don't think i've quite my level so will add a few more next few days.

Sadly I am going to probably be injured tomorrow. I have to play in a work 6 a side match tonight and I am one of 3 mobile enough to have to play the full hour whilst the other 6 play rolling subs. In the meantime, spin at lunchtime. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bad move DT.
    Tell them you're too big a face on the running scene to be risking yourselves for their poxy game.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SG- I kind of wish I was a better runner so that I could perhaps make that argument without looking like a massive twat.

I have sent an e-mail to the key players explaining that running a long way doesn't necessarily equate to a 6 a side engine, and that I am training lunchtime either way. The problem is, everyone else is so ill equipped to play that it is considered that I still present a better option than being excused.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    My last footy team, from a decade ago now, had the genius idea of some sort of re-union game.

I had to put the group chat on mute there were so many notifications.
    I was captain of what included a lot of 16-18 year olds at the time, so now, they're all mid 20s and at the peak of their footy desire. Unfortunately, i have zero desire and probably ability to want to play anymore....

Wouldn't change those footy days, glorious times. And joining the work footy team i realise now, it didn't half help get known around the company, and was a very good foot in for future jobs!

As you all were
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    8 miles this morning to celebrate 21 years of marriage .... poor woman !!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Congrats, Mace.

I'd like to say I walked away unharmed from the footy! Tried to run last night but my legs are so stiff it was impossible. Plus I have a slight strain in my right calf. Going to try a few flat miles over lunch to loosen off. I used to play footy like this (and put a lot more in) 3 times a week and have no issue.