Periods and running

What do other ladies use when its 'that time of the month'? My daughter has become self-conscious during PE when wearing a pad, and would prefer to use a tampon. Does anyone else use a tampon for running / other sports and have any issues?

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I find a mooncup or equivalent (e.g. this one: http://www.femmecup.com/) is best, but it's very personal and she'll need to try different things to see what she finds comfortable, especially as she's so young. I remember I didn't even find tampons comfortable at that age so they wouldn't have been a viable option for me then.

• Sal84Sal84 ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. She's of with pads, but it was visible when she was doing PE a couple of days ago. I think she'll just have to try different options.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    It's probably easiest to start with applicator tampons (perhaps with a pad too just in case) and see how she gets on.
  • I ran when using tampons with no issues at all but agree with literatin that it's probably easiest to start with applicator ones.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I had extremely heavy periods as a teenager, and quite often "leaked" even not during sports.  Once I had overcome my fear of tampons, and used both a tampon and a thin towel, things were much easier to manage.  Towels are much thinner and more absorbent these days too, which helps.  Dark coloured knickers and loose dark shorts also help make them less visible, but that will depend on school uniform arrangement, I suppose.
  • Sal84Sal84 ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Nessie">Nessie</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Dark coloured knickers and loose dark shorts also help make them less visible, but that will depend on school uniform arrangement, I suppose.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    I think the issue was she didn't have her PE uniform with her, which is why she was particularly self conscious that particular lesson. But perhaps tampon + thin pad and remembering PE kit might be the answer! 
  • I was wondering the same actually, I get quite heavy, use tampons at the moment but i see people mention mooncup?
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    I do hope that isn't a euphemism. 
  • Andy, using a running forum to creep on women isn't the best look mate. Maybe knock it on the head eh