Calf tightness!

I have been running for 7 years (half marathons and 10k's) but a couple of weeks ago at about the 4 mile mark something went pop in my calf  :'( i managed to stretch it out and hobble home!! I struggled to walk for the next few days but had no swelling in my leg.  I rested, elevated, iced, went for a sport massage, tried kinesio tape etc etc......

A week or so later (after deciding not to run a half marathon i had been training for) i resumed some light cross training at the gym and some swimming.  Last weekend my calf started to feel much better, have tested on the treadmill doing 1 min walk, 1 min jog and it seemed ok so decided to go out on the road two days later and try the same thing. I managed two miles but i still felt tightness although it wasn't painfull just niggly.  

Just looking for advice do you think the muscle is a bit tight because it hasn't been used for a bit so is a bit stiff or  is it because i am not ready to run yet? Have been doing calf raises to try and strengthen my leg as well.  
Tagged:

Comments