Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Yeah, cheers for the support 'Vet friend' (inbetweeners styleee). Nice to know someone values me LOL 

Apparently I qualify for Bedford & Co records too, as I'm 2nd claim. V45 800 record 2.06...will have a go at least..

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

2.06!  you should be able to smash that surely...is it in any race or does it have to be in the league?

my club doesnt do vet club records but the league does...and the 1500 record which has stood for 20 odd years is held by former WR holder Dave Moorcroft at only 4.05.   i have run faster than that a couple of times but never in the league as the competition at the sharp end isnt great some times...eg the last 1500 was won in about 4.40.  so not much to keep me occupied after 100m.   i do fancy getting a 800m mate to pace me a 2.10 out and giving it a chase one day.  be nice to take Daves record off him.

Sg - the timing on that relay sounds bad...shows how good it is at the national relays at sutton park

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty excellent in comparison, more teams, more legs, and all manual!
    Although having said that we walked away thinking we were one position, and ended up about 3 further down once they'd made some corrections!
    But still!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dean, that last session of 200's you mentioned had me reaching for my copy of, 'The Complete Middle Distance Runner', by Watts, Wilson and Horwill.
    Here's their recommendation for 200's run by international 800m runners.
    In March  8 x 200m in 28 seconds with 100m jog in 60 seconds. And In June 6 x 200m in 25 seconds with 200m jog in 3 minutes!
    No wonder your legs burned.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Promising Reg....

Had a scare whilst doing a quick blast on the MTB tonight to try an get the heart rate going. Not a running injury, so not really mentioned here, but a metal plate from an old shoulder has been given me real gyp lately. Pins and needles all day and almost constant pain when working on a PC. I'm still waiting for an MRI scan. Anyway, it has settled down the past week or so, but then I hit a bump on a fast downhill tonight, and I felt a crack. Instant  numbness and loss of power in the arm, and thinking "here we go again, best call the wife to get me to A&E". Anyway, maybe 10 secs later, when the initial fog had cleared, I tested the movement in it and it all seemed OK, just a bit sore, so carried on, quite gingerly. A few minutes later full movement seemed to be restored and afterwards there is nothing but a residual discomfort - bit weird really!

As for the TDF, I love watching the highlights, doing whatever physio exercise are de rigeur and drinking a beer. I don't blame Peter Sagan personally - I think the shoulder was instinctive i the heat of the sprint. Eitehr way, he apologised immediately to Cav, and again on the phone later and Ca holds no grudge so who are we to judge? 
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    So how are the walking wounded this morning? keep going I guess. Those guys in the TDF certainly do. I see the accidents and the next day; unless there's something badly broken, they are back on the bike.
     I meanwhile make huge efforts not to let my smile reveal the actual grimace. This past week makes me appreciate running all the more.

🙂

• SG - No worries, only messing I'd gladly be back up to the dream team (then not have to run and watch with a beer). Ooh Bus that sounds a bit dodgy, hope it calms down

So last night at MK - very hot, 20 minute warm up around the old Southern relay course, then had to change all the hurdles for the race my missus was in (she did 85 secs)..classic vets meeting capers eh. Uusal warm up and strides etc and we were off (the curve - as for some reason we can't be trusted on the break point!)..didn't feel too bad, 62 at the bell. Obviously faded a bit on the 2nd lap, felt quite lacticy in last 100m and ended up with 2.08.4. Felt slower, so not that bad after a sweaty day at work where I didn't feel that great either.

Did about 59/60 in the 4x400, we won it in 4.00 dead which I thought was quite good for some old geezers etc etc..in the dog house for not timing the missus' leg in the relay too. Oops!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how it feels for you proper track runners, but i'll never forget my 60sec 400m job at a Sandhurst "fun night". That feeling of pure lung burning is one i'll never forget!
    Good turn out Simon as always, I thought there was a big difference for a second's improvement on a mile, but clearly for half a mile 1 second can be big! Do you think you could "smash" 2.06, as per Dean yesterday? I had a sniff through your PO10 and i think i saw a 2.06 on there, but a few years back. But then i think you might only do 3 a year....so maybe you'd need to put 5-6 in to do it?

Ric n Bus, hope all is well, Ric in case there's some between the lines hurt in there, and Bus, metal plates and reactions don't sound good!

Back to the most soft core racer on here aka me...it's Thursday, after a 5.4mile offroader run on...Saturday, and I feel decent again :)

Chest/shoulders decent, a few toe glimmers, and breathing probably felt in keeping with a day off and humidity. 6.59 for a 6miler featuring a climb in the first half means i'm back on.

4 later, maybe some sort of track offering tomorrow, but light, and then try and get around 20miles in this weekend for a low to mid 50s week.

Next week has a few racing options... BP 5k Monday, Datchet 5k Tuesday, and 3 options for the Sunday, 2 local ones with 2 distance options at both, and a double header a huge distance away!
    May do one, two, or none of the above!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yes, as Dean alludes, I am shit at the one mile.  Simon is your man.

Bus, you bionic bastard.  You'll be cobbled together out of all kinds of bits by the time you hit pensionable age.  Like General Grievous in the bad Star Wars films, his eyes are his only organic body part left.

Ric, how does one jog 200m in 3 minutes?  That's 24 minute mile pace.  Sounds harder than the fast 200m.

Simon, another solid turnout, and 2:08 ain't too bad in a low-key race on a hot day.

6 x 1200 last night.  Thought I'd try to do a fast 400 afterwards to replicate a fast finish.  It wasn't a very fast 400.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I dare say your crap mile would still be more than worthy of a Battersea Park one mile relay job Dachs!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I reckon I'd struggle to go under 5:30 for a mile at the moment. I still remember the shock of running a parkrun not long after my first Ironman, having done nothing but slow runs for 6 months.

I came second behind Dachs that day, he was a bit slower then and I suspect I would have been planning on doing lots of training so I could beat the guy that beat me. That's not really working out is it.

Nice 800 SC, that was my favourite distance at school, I would always get my fastest time in the first race whilst I was still fit from the hockey season and get progressively slower possibly because my training consisted of messing about doing field events and sunbathing on the high jump mat.

Shoulder injury sounds interesting Bus, maybe it was a bit of rust breaking loose, did you get the operation in Blackpool?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Dachs, jog 200m in 3 minutes! I see what you mean. However, I tend not to take instructions too literally myself. In fact, the only instructions I'm prepared to follow to the letter are the medics and the law.

Mind you, that book is full of gems. How about this one on the principles and benefits of high mileage. " I convinced Peter Matthews of the value of this scale of training in the autumn of 1968 and within a year his 5000m and 10,000m times had improved by 25 seconds and 1 min 40 seconds respectively. But it took him six months before he was able to handle 100 miles a week regularly and another year before he cope with 180 miles a week!

Or about intervals:
    5000  metres runners: 24 to 48 x 200m
    10,000 metre runners: 24 to 48 x 400m
    And this was just a guide. The author then casually mentions that Zatopeks standard training session was 20 x 200; 40 x 400; 20 x 200

And finally he makes mention of a truly courageous trainer who ran 40 x 400m in four sets of 10 x 400. The first set started at 70 seconds and each set increased speed by two seconds. Rest between each 400 was a 200 jog and a 400 jog between each set. Last 400 he did in 60 seconds.
    However the next paragraph stated that this guy did not live up to the potential of his training.
    Can't imagine why that would be.

🙂

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Bus - in those circumtances i would have continued to the docs at the least.  you lost feeling in your arm.  what does it take to scare you into precautionary action?  does it have to happen again and you fall off your bike in traffic?  in fairness you have had an MRI...maybe stay off the bike until the results are know  /(mum mode off) :)

Dachs - in fairness i didnt say your mile was shit...just that simon would be about 70m ahead of you ;)

SImon - based on your training and race levels i thought 2.06 would be in your wheelhouse, particularly as you go through 2.10 in the 1500.  Vets races are hard to get going for when there is no-one challenging.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Following Dean's post, and re-reading yours a bit closer Bus, definitely wouldn't have hurt having a quick check out for that.
    Probably somewhere in the "Nothing major"/minor nerve issue territory, but best to make sure. A guy at work had constant pins and needles in an arm, similar age to yourself, and the doc wanted to rule out some mini, but serious stuff! (he was fine in the end! and yours could well be some little reaction to that metal plate)
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Dean - don't usually go through 800 in a 1500 that fast, usually 2.12 ish. Shame the race wasn't a tad later, it was perfect by about 9pm. SG - My PB is 2.02, but that's well old and not on PO10. It was a Jubillee cup match, which was a club competition for BAL clubs..it was at Copthall in about 2002 I think. Tbh, I just don't train for 800's or do enough of them. I could bust a gut for 2.04/5 or so...but can't really be arsed..

Reg - same as my xc season..go well at the start then the summer pace fades and I go backwards!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Dachs - I'd love some bionic eyes. Gotta be better than the varifocal contacts I have to put up with!

Dean - it's OK, I can cycle one armed no problem ;-). Didn't actually stop last night come to think of it. Seriously though, it is almost certainly something to do with the plate and the Dr said something about particles moving about after they've been in for several years. I've been referred for physio and MRI and (still!) waiting for an appointment, otherwise I would have gone to a Dr today. It's still uncomfortable, but that's been the same on and off since February, so its not a new concern, and I can't tell whether last night's episode has made it worse.

Reg - it's Titanium mate - thinking of making some bike parts out of it if they have to take it out!!!  It is feasible I suppose that I actually do have a screw loose though!!!!!!!

Anyway, double bike today (with no loss of feeling!). Boy was it hot and humid on the way home. If I wasn't sweating enough when I got home, I had to dig a bloody big hole in clay and flints to bury my daughter's rabbit deep enough not to be dug up by the local fox

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Oh, and  nearly forgot to say - got a 2nd and 3rd on Strava hill segment(s) today. Admittedly, only a minor one that few people have done, but still.....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That was one of those days that are probably up there with as hot and humid as we see in the UK.

6&4, second run feeling harder and a lil bit more breathy/achy. But being in the peak of the conditions probably doesn't help.

Scrapping any idea of track tomorrow, will do another 6&4 for mileage, then a couple of singles at the weekend and see how tings lie.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    How tings lay for me last night was a full quota of 'jip'.
    First of all I had a couple of muscles spasms while asleep - those woke me up well enough so I decamped to the front room while wondering if I'd put my self back two days with the 'rip' feeling from the injury site epi centre.

Fell asleep on the sofa, and while trying to get up for what old geezers have to do most nights, not only felt another rip, but had both legs go into a massive cramp for added attention. Whey hey! Christ, that hurt!  

Another dose of aspirin and I went back to bed. An hour later I woke up feeling really grotty. Damn, I'm soaking wet. That's right, my system had decided to sweat out about two pints. What a mess. Bed completely soaked my side. Tea shirt and gruds may well have been dunked into a bucket of water.

Back to an armchair this time. Soaked that as well.

Didn't stop my re-hab plan. V easy spin on the indoor bike (5:00am) followed by some light massage. 

The only area I can now determine is damaged properly is a finger nail size spot on the piriformis.  The other stuff are just strains which came out in protection of the main event.

Customers have all said 'Have you gone to a doctor?'. At this level, I've no need of their attentions. As for the physio. In my case, I'm too much of a wimp to cope with the elbow, which is the weapon of choice in dealing in such cases.

Instead I use the pointy end of an (golf) umbrella with the blunt end fixed up against the wall.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds like a hugely pleasant night there Ric! Hope you get a better one tonight..

At the risk of this turning into an old bloke's agony column, I'm not a happy bunny either! Physio this morning gave me a load more rehab exercises, but still doesn't want me to run - Grrr! What a waste of this lovely weather! As for the shoulder, the first appointment with NHS isn't until August, and that doesn't include a referral for an MRI. Double grrr!!

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Bus - he may not want you to run, but I bet he didn't mention anything about hopping.  So I expect to see reports in the next few days of 11 miles hilly off-road hopping, 8 miles skipping including 5 x 0.5 mile skipping efforts, and a goosestepping parkrun (19:42).
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bus.
    The limiting factor for me  is pain. It matters not how much I would like to do something. If it hurts so much I don't enjoy the experience, then I don't bother.
    I'm happy not making things worse.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    That's fair enough Ric, though pain is a subjective thing in some ways. I'd like to think we all have a threshold of pain that, when crossed, we instinctively know they are doing more harm than good and say "nah, not happening..."

Dachs - made me laugh that (and tempting to try!) but truth being even funnier than fiction, among the plethora of rehab exercises I am being instructed to do, some hopping based ones are featuring large! It would be so much easier to say, "sod it" and go do a parkrun tomorrow instead of all the faffing!!! On the plus side, I did get a gold star today for learning the new ones quickly as they are apparently "advanced"!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, I've had enough experience of runners getting fed up of waiting for their ailments to heal, who one day decide, 'Sod it. I'm going to run. It can't hurt anymore than it does already'.

So out they go and smash themselves in permanently; or at least for so long they forget that they once ran.

Ironically, it's when they finally give up running that the injuries get the time scale required to fix.

Exercise addicts are a different matter.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity, I've just checked out a name who was once a main feature of the running landscape when my lad was running.
    Just a quick glance at their 'twitter' account.

Yeah right!

Meanwhile, back on the planet I thought was home...

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, this is the only forum that's cool to muse on :)

Hope you two get back in the game shortly. Otherwise i'll have to do a few more races to swell the pages along a bit ;)

It's been a steady/recovery week after last week's tough race, so a 6 today only takes me to 42miles so far.
    It's so relative though isn't it. A guy at my club has done 12miles this week, and barely reaches 30miles a week on top mileage.

Chances are I could keep the same performance at 5k off a lot lower mileage, but you get used to running a lot don't you, and it serves part of the day as well.

Somewhere in the 10-13mix tomorrow.

• Yeah easy 12 miler for me tomorrow too. So today's race was down at Aldershot in the SAL, decided to get there for about 1.15 as the 3000 was 2.15 and the 1500 at 3.15. I didn't actually know what I was running until I got there. Found out that it was going to be just the 3000m.

Very hot warm up and a few strides done, it was time for the off. Couple of young AFD runners in there and the Kingston v40 I pipped in the BAL. Went off in the lead and that was the case for the first few laps,,think the splits were 69, 2.23, 3.41, 4.55, 6.08...roughly!! then the AFD kids both went past me with about 2 laps to go, I was feeling a bit leg weary at that point but managed to pull myself together for the last couple of laps. Bit annoying that a V40 came past me again to put me down to 4thbut came across the line in 9.06.

happy with that, I will most likely battle with the Kingston V40 again next week in the BAL atBedford. Spoke to the winner and he had done 8.13 at Watford, so he really was jogging around!!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good race SC.
     For someone who's pb for a track 3000m is 9:54, I can only imagine what it's like to motor around at that speed.
    Actually I know what's it's like. It's running the same way as usual but with the track coming up short or the watch mysteriously ticking over slower.
    It's relative, isn't it?

Today I can walk normally (a loose description in my case). I like to think I can do some work tomorrow. I won't try running or cycling yet. 

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice work Simon. Hopefully on the mend Ric.

10th day of no running for me, and I'm itching to get back! Doesn't seem to be any pain anywhere, so may talk nicely to the physio tomorrow and see what he says. In the meantime, long bike this morning - 50M at18.3mph. I actually cracked the 20mph barrier for the first 17 miles, but the hills behind Marlow put paid to that! I'm happy with that, but for context (and without wanting to steal his thunder), Reg did more than twice the distance, 3.5x the climbing and still came out over 1mph faster yesterday! Incredible stuff!
    161M for the week though, whihc is my biggest bike week. I must be a real cyclist now as well - thought about shaving my legs this morning (briefly!!!)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Simon, was that a 1.18 3rd lap? What happened there?

Bus, I have visions of the physio thinking you might just have a gentle cycle to the shops and back, and there's you pumping out 50milers!

12 for me. Started with 10 in mind as a taster, up to Beaconsfield and back, but added a little loop at the end.

About as hot as I can remember a morning run, dead on 7min miling, and I clocked a 193 max HR, but an average of 156.
    I only give these figures a cursory glance afterwards. You generally know how something is feeling, and that was comfortable. Certainly wouldn't want to race anything beyond 5k in this sort of heat though

Last 5k in the summer series on Tuesday, my lot's home event. Only did 2 of the first 6, and we'll see about this one. I'm just so programmed to run morn/lunch these days, and it's easy to become a bit knackered by the afternoon and the last thing you fancy doing is a race in the heat.

Do have the Wednesday off though, for any impossible to sleep adrenaline afterwards :)