My Last Run

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    JT: i can imagine it is a struggle to put those shoes on.  I find the vibrams tricky at times (or maybe it is my toes..)

Jtced: good running.  With increasing fitness I find I recover a lot quicker from long runs.  I stick to the don't do 2 hard sessions after each other as much as possible and in particular not two days in a row. 

Nessie:  well done for going out there and running nonetheless.  

swittle:  gigs = glasses?

Good luck this evening Cal.  I hope it is not too hot for you. 

For me:  about an hour and around 9km for me yesterday evening - watch free for once.  Went paragliding in the afternoon and landed earlier than I hoped.  Had chucked my running gear in the car in the hopes of getting back for my Tuesday group but decided I wouldn't make it.  Went for a trot up and back down the local brook instead.  Initial well-groomed gravel paths quickly turned into washed out sometimes steep trails and meadows where I had to watch my step closely as I was wearing road shoes.  Opened and closed a vast number of gates.  Was sometimes slow enough that the horseflies got in for a bite - new running accessory required - a fly swatter..  A hat will often do the job but I wasn't wearing one.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Nessie: hope you're feeling in better shape now.

Will: you're right, of course, but I avoid having to adjust to warmer conditions  ;)

Hazel: yes, glasses, which I've worn since I was 4  :o  Oh, a good topic here would be flying insect repellant!  I'm out too early to become a 'meal'!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, that was a pretty gruelling 10K. Much too warm for my preferences but there was a bit of a breeze that made it less horrible than it might have been. I started well but the heat soon took its toll and I finished in 57:38 (just over 4 minutes outside my PB). It was only ever intended as a training run but I had hoped to run it at the pace I am hoping to hit for my forthcoming 10 miler. Unfortunately I fell well short of that. My hamstring also grumbled throughout and I managed to choke on some electrolyte ball thingy they handed out at the water station, so in all, not a great race. However, the medal was cute and I won my age group (although, it has to be said, there were only three V50 ladies, and one didn't finish). So, no regrets.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    A win is a win Cal.
    10.1miles in just over 1hr14. Cooler this evening so decent pace. Took in a circuit of the Knavesmire where they do the Parkrun. A couple of hot air balloons in the sky and a passed a few women's running groups - kind of big mobile conversations.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks JT. Turns out all three V50 ladies did finish - the last one was just really slow. So first of three is better than first of two. :grin:
    I got myself out for a recovery run this morning, which is unusual since I normally take a day off after a race. Felt I needed it though, despite it being only 11 hours after I'd finished the race and having had a very poor night's sleep. I ended up doing 6 miles, although it was very slow (averaged over 11 minute miles, though there were a couple under). Hamstring wasn't as bad as yesterday, so that's good.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Another 6 miles this morning. Very humid and already 21 degrees at just before 7am. Started slow but my body perked up after a couple of miles and I finished the run with two MP miles. Happy with that but I'm not sure if I'll be able to regain my speed in time for next weekend's 10 miler.  My goal was to go sub-90, but I don't know if that's realistic right now. Anyway, onwards.
    Well done Cal.  Had a similar experience in 2008.  I was a bit embarassed at the time that my time for winning my category was quite a lot slower than everyone else's but like you I was out there doing the run and that is what counts.  Did you get to stand on a podium?  I hope so.

swittle:  nice new word for me then - I soak them up like a sponge if I like the sound of them.  Its how I learn foreign languages as well.  Shame it doesn't work for the grammar rules.  I'm another glasses wearer - could someone invent little windscreenwipers for running please?

Just short of 18km undulating in 1:44 for me yesterday evening.  Didn't go out until 8pm due to the heat / humidity with the intention of doing a 10 miler but took a wrong turning on the way home in the woods so had to add a bit.  Met several other runners and a few horse riders also out late . 
    Wildlife watch:  one red deer and about 40 mallard ducks which shot out of a field into a neighbouring pond with a right clatter.  
    First longer run in the new trail shoes - no blisters or otherwise sore bits - haven't worked out whether to do mid or forefoot running in them yet - I keep alternating between the two.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ha no, alas - Runthrough events don't have age group prizes, just finisher medals for all. Good flapjacks too. :)

I used to wear glasses but had laser eye surgery in 2006. I had brilliant vision for a while but unfortunately my eyes have subsequently regressed to -1. I stubbornly refuse to wear glasses considering I paid for the privelege of not having to wear them, so I go around in a slight blur. I see well enough on sunny days but struggle in dim light such as twilight.
    When I was wearing glasses, I found a baseball cap kept the rain off them, unless it was windy as well.
  • Great running, Cal. This heat is an absolute swine and London is always a bit more suffocating than everywhere else, so go and shine that medal :)

Hazlenut, I always like the sound of your runs. I wished I lived somewhere a bit more exotic, but the delights of Norwich will have to do for now. Good deer spotting!

We had a huge thunderstorm yesterday avo, which cleared the mugginess away for a bit, but by the time I got out running last night it was feeling like a balmy night in the tropics again. I did a slowish 6 miler. Had planned to do 10, but my running schedule is determined by the mayhem that my two tearaways cause and preparation for tomorrow's 3rd birthday party is at fever pitch. So 6 miles it was and my 4th run of the week, so my current 3 week training plan is still within sight of being completed.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Great running all, especially in this heat
    Me- I did a steady 4 ish miles on Wednesday just to ward away the heebie-jeebies, then it was a club 6 mile part XC, part road race last night, on a hilly, killer route with two dreadful hills in Epping Forest.  In spite of the humidity I was really pleased with my time, which was around 52.40, and definitely a course best.  Amazing really I've had two really good runs in a week, both for fairly difficult club races. Yet I feel like absolute poo. Haven't slept properly in weeks, stress levels sky high.... 
    In non-running news, today I went over to Hampstead ladies' pond with a friend for an absolutely super swim. OW swimming is definitely the sport to do in this weather
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a very good time, Nessie, especially in this weather. And hang in there - end of term approaches!

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Not so hot up in Yorkshire. Cloudy but humid. Run didn't go as planned. Was thinking 16miles. Took a water bottle belt and that felt like an anchor. Never got going and knackered from the start. Slow, but figured that would stop me blowing up. It didn't. Stopped at 13miles. Walked and rested a bit. Ran another couple of miles but hit a point of exhaustion again. Not far from home so walked back and was freezing cold - which isn't a great sign. Combination of humidity and too much banked up tiredness. I really hate "failed" runs, but I suppose cranking out 15 rough miles with sod all in the tank isn't so bad. Loads of fly tipping down isolated country lanes, which is depressing. There was even a whole air conditioning unit dumped by the road. Could have done with that.
    Great time Nessie well done.

Take care JT.  Freezing is always a warning sign for me too that I have overdone it a bit for the current outing. 

Will, living in Switzerland at the moment makes up for 18 years of Northampton where I spent my younger days (quite a long time ago now).  In Swiss terms its not too exotique where I live but I do have access to some great places which I do appreciate.

Around 8km speed hiking today with + 1670m of continuous upping.  Its a mountain with good running infrastructure - you can send a drop bag up with the railway that goes to the top and once you get there have a brrr cold shower.  Some people actually run the thing - I certainly can't other than about 500m distance or so on flatter terrain.  Took the train back down as planned.  Missed the worst of the heat and the humidity by setting off earlyish.  Tough with many rocky steps and tree roots.  There is annual race up the staircase next to the railway - more than 11600 steps if anyone fancies that - I don't!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Take it easy, JT. Getting cold in this weather isn't a great sign.
    Hazelnut, nope. Stairs are hard and my knees don't like them much!

I woke up too late for the run I'd planned (as I have yoga to go to as well) but I did 5 miles progression, starting at just under 11 min/mi and finishing just under 9. I need to be sub-9 for 10 miles next weekend if I want to break 90 minutes. Not sure I can manage that at the moment. Earlier in the year I did it twice during half marathons but I'm not in that kind of shape, currently. I guess we'll see what happens.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Oh, I've been a naughty boy.  I did back-to-back back-to-backs.

Friday, did 11 miles at HM pace.
    Saturday, did 8.5 miles at a relaxed pace.
    Today, did HM at HM pace (and got a PB!)...  

Though to be sure, I'd never run a strict HM and no more before - previous HM runs were actually either a tad short (~20Km) or part of longer runs, so it was interesting to see how I'd fare with somewhat tired legs but offset by being around a fairly flat route.  Was ~52 minutes to 10K but a tad slower on the second half.  I also had a couple of short stops as I was running along with my kids who were cycling, and kept stopping.  Not wanting to get too far away from them, I'd stop too.  And my younger son struggled on the only real hill on the entire route, so I had to run whilst pushing his bike for a couple of minutes, after a brief (~1min?) stand-off whilst he refused to attempt to cycle and I refused to walk back down to help him.  8 year olds, arghhhh!!!!  

Anyway, pretty pleased with this weekend, especially the fact that I would have had an even better time but for those stops, etc., and the fact I was unrested.  

Tomorrow, you'll be pleased to hear, I *will* rest up.  Properly. Promise.  Maybe a short walk with the dog, but that's about it.... :wink:
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You mean to say you set a HM PB in training, jtced? While pushing your youngest up a bill on a bike? :o
    8 miles today. Started easy but got quicker as I warmed up until I hit MP for three miles, then I decided to do a faster mile to finish. It felt like HMP but was actually about 30 seconds slower, which is disappointing. Got my work cut out on Sunday.
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Yeah, HM PB in training, whilst pushing my youngest (briefly) up a hill on a bike.  On tired legs (carrying 20 miles from the previous two days' runs).  Makes me feel I can probably subtract a couple of minutes for what I might do in a proper race without the bike thing and on fresh legs!

Definitely done too much over these past few days, couldn't get a decent sleep last night.  Lazy day for me :smile:
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    PS. It wasn't a staggeringly quick time - 1:53:54 for the HM - so I feel a 1:49:59 would have been achievable in a race.  Compared to some folks' times, that's slow, but for me that's about as good as it gets currently....
    Have a good rest day jtced what is left of it.  A 52 min 10k would set you up nicely for a sub 1:50 HM according to the McMillan calculator.  (plus take off a bit more for the race environment and ideally fresh legs).

Just a 5km outing for me over lunch.  Wanted to do more but will be out again tomorrow and will put in my last long run later this week so sticking to my (DIY) plan.  Finally found some mud to christen the new trail shoes.  Ran past several of the local storks stalking (storking?) around a field and another field full of sunflowers. 
  • jtcedjtced ✭✭✭
    Thanks - I did a detailed look over the run via the Strava web app, and noticed that during the HM I spent no less than four minutes actually not moving at all.  So, yeah, sub 1h50m should be more than possible.  Paying for it a bit today, knee is a bit iffy and my legs are tired.  Training calls for an easy 11 miler tomorrow, which is a pain as it's a busy day for me....

Storks, eh?  Around here, best you get are gulls and the occasional heron....
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Eight miles of beach & trail late last night and four miles of similar nine hours later - and I wonder why I have a shouty knee  :o

jtced: don't talk to me about back-to-back runs.  My total this morning was 558 days! 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    jtced, come to exotic London and see parakeets while you run!
    swittle, hope that knee isn't a problem. Mine get grumpy often. They make a lot of noise going up and down stairs. With all the yoga I do I should be as limber as a colt but sadly, I'm more like a grumpy rhino.
    4 miles easy today. Actually enjoyed the grey skies and damp.
    Alert to London's population:  there is a grumpy rhino loose .. :)  Quite dangerous things I believe...  Sorry Cal my powers of imagination just went into overdrive...

Watch that knee swittle.

Re. Storks: there is a decent sized group nesting each year in my village - one of two regional ones.   They seem to like it here.  This year's chicks are pretty big already.   

Tuesday trot for me yesterday - 10.4km with the group in around 58 minutes.  Addiitonally jogged to the meeting point and back so an additional 10km in around 1 hour.  Lovely evening and a good turnout considering that the school holidays started here this week.  My watch (TomTom Runner, around 3 years old) decided to stop working (blank screen) - might be a good excuse to buy a new one.  :p  It does this every now and then. 

Rest day today.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    10.4miles in over 1hr19 on/offroad mix. Went okay. Sluggish at first. Not all that warm but hard work. Feels like my running has been below par and inconsistent for a bit. Could just be grumpiness. Running often goes in phases though. Not much happened. I was trying to remember the name of the gardener in Lady Chatterley's Lover. I still can't think of it. It's in my brain somewhere so am trusting it will eventually wiggle it's way to the conscious bit.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Right there with you, JT. I'm usually very sluggish at the start of my runs and I am a bit frustrated that I'm well below the level I was before Manchester. I do wonder if this is down to doing two marathons (8 weeks apart) but a lot of people do more and seem fine with it. Eh, I don't know.
    Oh and it's Mellors. :)
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Been AWOL this week and off on my holidays in the early hours of Saturday, so run strong and stay safe over the next week, MLRers :-) We're off to Corfu where I hope to swim, eat, drink, read (lots) and run (a little, and as early as I can drag my lazy backside out of bed before it gets even hotter).
    I've managed a couple of 4 milers this week, and will do around 6-8 in the forest tomorrow morning before I go home to pack
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    4.13miles 30mins in the barefoot evoskins. Feet a bit sore.
  • Seems like it'e the time of the year for a bit of a lull in form. I'm blaming mine on a very stressful time at work. I'm limping my way towards the finish line that is the end of term.

JT141 and Cal, I hope the sluggishness wears off for you and Nessie, I hope the Corfu break is ace.

I'm jealous of your Storks, Hazlenut. I've only ever seen one stray continental bird over this side of the channel - looking very lost.

After an unplanned 8 day break (apart from my boy's 2nd fastest Junior Park Run) I hit the lake trail this morning for 7 miles of goodness. It did wash away some of the stress of the week, but a steady turned into a slow and again reminded me how quickly my body becomes untuned. Feeling good after it now though and planning to do the Park Run tomorrow for a bit of speed work and then a long run on Sunday. 
    I run, therefore I am.
    Have a great holiday Nessie.  Is that the order of priority you've listed there? :)

Know the feeling Will - unfortunately I don't have an end of term to look forward to - just more and more tasks piling up at the moment.  On the other hand I don't have back-to-school to "look forward" to in a few weeks time.   Running isn't such a good stress reliever for me unfortuantely - if I have goals to work for then that adds even more stress than I already have.

Certainly had a lull in form yesterday.  Set off (gently!) for my last pre mountain marathon long run yesterday und underestimated the heat of the sun.  Had a goal of 35km and was sitting on a bench in the shade after 14km overheating and almost hyperventilating for a few minutes.  Got going again with some walk / running and was very tempted to get on the train about 5km later when I passed the station within about 100 metres.  Said to myself, ok if you can't run then walk and actually completed the 35km after all in 4:20.   Managed to jog the last 6km or so.  Pleased to have got round - it being the last long run pre race it was important to do so from the mental side of things.        Otherwise a run to forget about it.   A big green combine harvester was about the most exciting thing I saw the whole way round but maybe I wasn't really looking.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Happy hols Ness. 10.1miles in over 1hr16 this evening. Felt lousy at 3miles but got better. Otherwise event free.