New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Columba/HS feeling bad now that I whinged about my 5K time - especially given HS's incapacity right now.

DBI - race report(s) eagerly anticipated.

A bit of a hamstring strain today stopped me from completing a 5 mile brisk training run. And an injury sustained from picking up apples in the garden - of all things!

Lots of televised sport for addicts like me this weekend: great rugby, good cricket and some decent athletics, including the almost unbelievable new world record of 5:30 for I mile (wait for it) race walking!
  • Morning all,

Bright and sunny, but rain possible later.

JB, oh dear, injuries on this thread seem to be catching, hope not too serious? I've been watching the athletics and the cycling and saw the incredible world record for the mile race walking. Seb Coe, who once held the world record for running the mile, said he was pleased to have run a 6 minute mile recently. Puts into perspective how impressive the walking world record is.

Knee continues to improve, but I'm sticking to my one week rest period.
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, i am back after another lapse.  i am pleased to say that i got a pb at the Southend half yesterday, which was 2.13:13 so very pleased with that, however i had my cousin with me and she coaxed me through the difficult patches, just typically as we got in  the pen the sun shone straight down on us, so it was a bit difficult as i found myself hydrating more and then feeling a little uncomfortable.  not sure what next but i am going to reduce my days a little and maybe just maybe think about Birmingham Marathon, but i don't want to commit just yet, but i think i need to just ease up a bit  for recovery purpose but still continue with shorter times and still have my long run on Saturdays with a view to increasing it.  still not sure i have the nutrition right on the day i just always feel so exhausted after, but i was aiming for 10 minute miles however i was doing under this for about 1 hr 50 mins but then it started to decline a bit,  did not have a gel until 10 miles so  perhaps i need to experiment more.

My knee was good throughout, but the balls of my feet were so sore, still quite tender today, i had taped them up with cotton wool discs, perhaps the thick socks did not help, but i was thinking they may cushion my feet more.  my hubby had a great day and parked the motorhome up on the seafront and was able to see me go past a few times and i also had my own drinks lined up, it was almost like being an elite athlete lol, well i can dream....  he was busy sorting out tea and rolls for after and entertaining my supporters, and he was host to a few desperate ladies that needed to use the convenience bless him.

Also caught the sun so a little sore where my t/shirt was, did factor most places but not my back  :(

I hope you all get you knees sorted and take the rest you need accordingly, popping a pic up so you can put a face to the name, hope this is ok?

Cannot post pics because they are coming out too big? i have a new iMac and i cannot find anywhere to resize once i have chosen them, never mind 
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Just had an email to say i have been promoted to level 3!!!  so a PB and a promotion, can't be bad lol.
  • Morning all,

It's raining already and forecast to rain on and off all day.

Welcome back glo2 and congratulations on your promotion to level 3. Well done for your pb in the Southend Half. Hope the soreness on the balls of your feet soon clears up.
  • Hillstrider, why did the race on the track start at 0500hrs and only last for 2 hours ?
    Glo2 well done on your half mara pb .
    The 10 k race turned out to be 11.5K . 5 laps of a village and through a old quarter that lead you up a flight of steps ! Good fun tho 54 mins, and at the back of the field.
    The following day "Sunday " I ran in a 11K trail race, 5 euros to enter and at the finish you got tin of pork a t-shirt and as much wine to drink as you wanted . Will be going back next year for sure.
  • HS - lots of athletics this summer. Pleased to hear that the race walker is from Sussex. Glad to hear about the knee.

Glo2 - a PB - excellent! I'm sure that the sore feet were worth it. Looking forward to seeing the picture(s) - but not of the feet please!

Mokshaeight (I'm still struggling with your name) - sounds brill.  5 euros for an endless supply of red wine alone is pretty good value! Sounds like a really good event and location although not keen on flights of steps when I run - but would rather run up them than down them.

Tested out hamstrings today with a 6x hill repeats in 28 minutes at a steady pace, so reasonably intensive. No problems, I'm pleased to report.

The rain has finally arrived.

• We still have had only a sprinkle of rain, desperately need more. The swim and run race on Sunday was exactly as I expected it to be, steaming hot, a slowish swim and a fast run.  Ended up with a medal for age group 3rd, also got a small gift as oldest female finisher. However, that was easily eclipsed by the oldest male finisher at 89 years young! Asked for advice when he was given his medal, he responded with don't drink alcohol and take a 600mg Ibuprufen tablet before the start. Have to say he really does not look his age so is obviously doing something right!
  • Morning all,

Rain has stopped at last, after raining heavily all night.

Mokshaeight, it wasn't a race, but an event to raise money for "Children in Need." It was called a bog eyed jog, hence the early start, and the idea was for those partaking to be sponsored per laps run in a 2 hour period. Many runners didn't run for 2 hours but just for a number of laps. I ran the whole 2 hours as I wanted to run as many laps as I could in that time. I like the idea of unlimited wine at the end of your trail race. There is a 5 mile road race local to me that gives tokens to the finishers to hand in for a pint of cask ale, or a soft drink for non drinkers.

JB, hill reps with dodgy hamstrings was a bit risky, but I'm glad didn't cause any problems.

DBIW, well done for your achievements at the swim and run race. Remarkable achievement by the 89 year old man. Not sure that I agree with taking an Ibuprufen tablet before an event, as I have heard that it can effect the heart. It obviously works for him though. I suppose he takes it to mask any muscular pains.
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone thank you for your comments, had a lovely walk yesterday to ease the aches  and already wondering what next although i initially want to ease off for a few weeks i have post running blues now and i need a plan!  may go for a short run tomorrow, did consider it today but decided to have another rest day.   i will post a pic but it will come out large as i cannot reduce it, sorry in advance lol.

Feet are feeling fine now though thank you JB, promise i won't show you 

• glo2, that's a great picture, looks like you are really enjoying the race!
  • glo2 - you should get a special medal just for that smile!

DBW -  a placing and a medal are always good......I suspect you've got quite a collection. And as for the 89 year old - wow!

HS - yes I got away with it yesterday but went out today and was creaking a bit so cut the run short.

I'll be having an enforced rest day for two as I'm off on my travels to Colchester which come to think of it is not too far from glo2 country. It's a work trip so not much fun anticipated and Colchester isn't really a fun place in my recollection - I was at university there 1973-6 and it was a pretty grim old place at the time packed with squaddies looking for a fight an students looking to overthrow capitalism!

There is a fine castle and they have a parkrun in its grounds (which must be rather splendid) and I did consider staying over and having a crack at it.........but will probably head for home and my own patch.

• Morning all,

Bright and sunny, and I'm going to attempt a short run/jog this morning.

JB, I'm visualising you in the seventies with long hair and a beard :D
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much HS and JB that is very kind, as we had to go up and down that road twice this was probably the first time roundabout 6 mile point, i have yet to see what my finish photo look like, its probably a grimace by then lol. i decided to just have 40 mins on treadmill today to help my bones, was only going to walk but couldn't help myself, not sure whether to do a long run Saturday or not, aches and pains seem to have gone now, but i do not want to tire myself as i need to take away the pressure a little because i feel like the training was beginning to be a bit of a slog, so i am going to drop a session or two midweek to see if that improves my long run and my mind set.  

Yes JB colchester is near my neck of the woods, i remember when my son was younger he done a few cross country runs starting at the barracks.  Think it has all quietened down now apart from the odd stabbing/murder/mugging... and now these seem to be all over the place, one such stabbing was less than a mile away from me almost 2 weeks ago, right outside my sons house, poor lad lost his life stabbed in the throat heart and abdomen 24 years old, and tree others injured 2 with life threatening injuries, it is a sad world we live in.  if i come across a finish photo i will post it, but cannot reduce the size as you can see!!
  • National holiday tomorrow here and another trail race of 13.5K, then a week end of no running.
    Glo2 you look as if you could run further and faster  well done .
    Hillstrider, how did your run go ?
    Everyone have a great weekend and you never know when a PB can turn up

• Morning all,

Another bright and sunny morning.

glo2, a great finishing photo! 

Mokshaeight,  I only jogged/walked 0.5 mile yesterday, as I just wanted to test the knee. It was still a bit sore, but I think it is on the mend. I will go a bit further the next time which will be Saturday, or maybe Sunday.
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Mokshaeight and HS, believe me i couldn't have done another metre! however my cousin who was with me  is just great and gave me lots of support.  

have a good weekend everyone and enjoy your runs!
  • glo2 - another good photo - but is it a smile or a grimace??

HS - good to hear that your knee came through it's test.

Mokshaeight - another trail race then. At least you have a week to recover, aided no doubt by copious intakes of the local wine.

Well I've returned in one piece from the mean streets of Colchester. I actually liked the place this time; so many historic buildings and a magnificent castle and grounds. The parkrun there must be one of the best in the country - and there's a lovely walk (popular with local runners by the look of it) alongside the river. Typically that in my days as a student (long hair but no beard) I never discovered it.

Parkrun for me tomorrow.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Hello again everyone, it seems ages since I posted on here. Sorry to read about so many injuries, hope none of them prove to be long lasting. It's so frustrating when you want to run but can't.

Congratulations Glo2 , great photos. I must be doing something wrong - I always look exhausted and about 90 on any photos taken of me running! I do have a recent one which was taken in our clubhouse when our ladies XC runners were awarded their medals for winning the harrier league last season. It proved difficult to get everyone together on the same day for the photo, and in the end only about half of us made it. I'll try to upload the photo if I can. I'm on the right on the front row, kneeling on one leg. 

I've done very little running since I last posted, my chest x-ray results weren't great but after a course of antibiotics I felt a bit better. I have to have another x-ray at the beginning of August so hoping that one will be better. Last week we were at the Anniversary Games in London and saw some great athletics. We were staying at the Premier Inn right next to the Olympic stadium so managed to get a few short runs in around the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. My first running in ages.

As I've hardly run much these last three months I'm finding it hard to get my fitness back. I mentioned this today to Lesley, the physio I see every 2 or 3 months for a "tune up". She recommended weight training, in particular dead weight lifts, to strengthen my glutes, hamstrings and core. She felt that rather than stress about getting my mileage up I should concentrate on conditioning and circuit work, as this should result in gains on the endurance front in the long run (no pun intended). So I'm considering looking around for a suitably qualified local trainer who can show me the right way to perform the lifts. Have any of you done any weight training like this? If so, did it help? Any advice would be welcome.

• Morning all,

A bit dull at the moment, but I think it will stay dry.

JB, I'm still not happy that my knee is 100%, but it is definitely much better than it was. I won't run today, but will have another attempt tomorrow. I have tried to come back too soon a couple of times during the last 2 weeks, so must be cautious, especially at my age. Good luck with today's parkrun, which you have probably completed as I write this.

Aquarius, welcome back, its been quite a while since we heard from you. Glad to hear that your antibiotics seem to be helping, and hope that your August x ray shows improvements. It must have been quite inspiring watching the Anniversary Games, for you to endeavour to get your fitness back. That's a great photo of you and your other club runners, and congratulations for winning the Harrier League last season. I did do some work with free weights a few years ago, but it wasn't with a trainer and I'm not qualified to offer any advice in this area. I did a lot of circuit training nearly 30 years ago with Team Solent, but this was with a qualified coach and I believe that it is important that this type of training is undertaken with a qualified trainer or coach. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I can confirm that circuit training will help with your endurance. Good luck!
  • Aquarius - hope you are on road to recovery. I can't give much advice on 'form' for weight-training but having done my back in deadlifting I'd just confirm the need to use good technique.
    They do quite a few 10ks in/around the Olympic Stadium and I quite fancy doing one just for the buzz of finishing in a stadium. Am enjoying the Para World Champs on TV. I went part the Olympic park on the train yesterday. My goodness that part of London has had some investment.

HS - I might be taking your place on the injury bench! My hamstrings seized up today after 1k. They've been hinting at something nasty for a week or so but I thought I'd nipped it in the bud. I had that horrible experience of walking back and being passed by about 350 runners, one or two of whom recognised me and sympathised as did the marshalls. People are nice aren't they?

Oh well, ice-pack time!
  • Morning all,

Quite dull at present with a possibility of rain later.

JB, sorry to hear about your hamstrings injuries. Hope it's not too serious and that you won't have to rest up for too long. I had a similar experience at the Brockenhurst parkrun a couple of years ago having to walk back. It wasn't through any injury, it was just that "the tank was empty." It's a 4 lap run and I had completed the first and realised that I  was slowing down. I tried to speed up but to no avail, so I stopped and walked back. I was quite a regular then and runners were asking me if I was alright.

Haven't decided yet whether I will try a run, I'll fast walk to the supermarket and back and see how I feel.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your hamstring problem JB, with luck a few days rest will sort it out. As I've said before, it's so frustrating when you can't run, particularly in your case when you've been on such good form lately. I can imagine how you must have felt when you had to walk back at your parkrun. But the sympathy and support of other runners and marshals will hopefully have eased your distress. That's the nice thing about the running community, everyone is so supportive and encouraging.

HS I hope your knee passed the "fast walk to the supermarket" test and you are able to get out for a run today. I think this is the first time since I've joined this forum that you've been laid up with an injury, you're normally such a consistent runner. This enforced lay-off must be very difficult for you. Fingers crossed you'll be back to your usual form soon.

Last week I went back to the Derwent Resevoir trail course (where you may remember I had such a disastrous run in May and came in last with the tail runner). I know I wasn't well in May, and in hindsight I shouldn't have taken part, but nevertheless that performance still haunts me, therefore I was determined to prove to myself that I could  do better. So last Tuesday I had another crack at it, but only ran the first 4 miles (2 out, 2 back). Again I found it really hard towards the end, but was pleased to see I ran faster than in May. Another hilly 5 miles on Thursday (different course) resulted in me feeling quite tired yesterday, so with my sensible head on I'm going to have a few days rest. (I'm pleased to have rediscovered my sensible head, just hope I don't misplace it again). ;)
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Aquarius - I'm tempted to observe that we were all subject to the decapitation of our sensible heads when we started running! It's quite funny (in a way) that between those of us on this thread and the Over 60s thread, there's usually more crocked runners than fit ones. Well done to confront your watery nemesis!

HS - hope you get back to running soon - for one thing I'm missing your race reports...........

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    JB I suppose a few days rest won't do any of us any harm, and what with the TdF, the Hamburg triathlon and the Rabat Diamond League there's been plenty of good sport to watch on television this weekend. 

I agree with you about HS's race reports though..... it definitely feels like something's missing from this thread.
  • Morning all,

Knee continuing to improve and hardly any problems during yesterdays walk. I've decided though, as we are talking sensible heads, to wait another couple of days before attempting a run, to be on the safe side. My last two times were probably too soon and set me back.

Aquarius, thanks! This is, I think, only the third time I have had to take days off from running through injury in over 35 years of running and racing. I suppose old age has caught up with me. :'( Good to hear that you are running quicker now, and a few rest days will be beneficial. Hope it won't be too long before I am able to write race reports again.

JB, I can't wait, to get back into running and racing again as I miss it so much. Alice ran 18 miles yesterday and said that she needed me back long running as it was boring running alone. 

I've got the Salisbury 54321 33k on 13 August and Alice is running the 42k. I'm hoping that I will be able to run it, as I'm not worried about the lack of recent mileage, as I've lots of mileage "in the tank." The race after that is on 10th September and is the New Forest Marathon which I have run the last two years.
  • Morning all,

I've decided to make an appointment with a physio, as it's taking too long for my knee to recover. I can walk with no trouble whatsoever, but resting from running doesn't seem to be working. The physio I want to see is a member of our running club, so we get 10% discount which is useful.
  • glo2glo2 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all another sunny but blustery day in Essex.  

JB that was the beginning of the grimace the one that was taken just over the line is a clear grimace and from that i went to the side to catch my breath, although when i compare from my first half marathon i do look better, either that or i have got better at being ready to smile for the camera!  Sorry to hear about your hamstrings,  i dod hope they recover for your New Forest run.

Aquarius - Nice to see another photo, it must be great being in a running club, where you can all give each other support, we have a club nearby but i am not good at running in the evening, however that may change next year when i start the training for my job, i will try and do early morning still but may have to do early evening, it just doesn't sit well with my digestive system.

i hope  your chest is improving, but it will be easy to overdo things so strength training will be good, not that i have ever done any, i  am trying to do a little core work at the moment.

HS sorry to hear you are still suffering with your knee, i did have a a wobble with my knee leading up to my half, but  strangely it held out well for the run, so perhaps the taper did it good, and it is handy having a son who is a physio even though he is in NZ!

Having a rest day today will do a 5 or 6 miler tomorrow.

have a good day everyone