The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    450.3 miles

Little Nell: You mentioned comparing half and full marathon notes. My half is at Newark in Aug and I'm hoping for sub 1:50, the Marathon is York in Oct with a target of sub 4 hrs. I did York in 2014 and 15, my only marathons, just dipping under 4 hrs both times.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    4.5 miles in the heat and humidity of yesterday afternoon. Got home just minutes before a large thunderstorm. 470 YTD
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    5.5 this afternoon - 475.5 YTD
  • Howdy pardners!

Excellent holding the fort Andrew - very nice intervals session, plus a daily double today... good going!

Donnie - your Half is a little before mine... I'm doing GNR in September (plus Richmond the following week) and my next Marathon is Chester in October - so I'm guessing we'll be on roughly similar training sessions. Are you following a plan at all? I have a few other shorter races in the interim as well (10K, 5-miler, 5K).

I did my first ever strength training session with a trainer on Wednesday night. Previously I've just done some body weight stuff at home myself - but I don't really enjoy it and if I drop a session it's always the strength stuff so I decided to make sure I do it properly. It felt fine at the time but BOY did it hurt yesterday... so much so that I skipped my lunchtime run! Not a great start - but I'll see how it goes. I'm alternating one week massage and one week strength - so luckily next week is a massage... woo hoo!

Anyway - despite residual aches I went out this evening in a light breeze with a muggy drizzle as well - quite nice actually. 6.66 miles of steady running.

YTD: 657.11 miles.

• 12.1 miles on Thursday plus 10.19 miles including a mistimed pacing for Parkrun (I was 8 seconds out) makes
    YTD = 1522.74 miles
    Little Nell, I have caught up 15.63 miles meaning you are 134.37 miles ahead - no need to look over your shoulder yet.
    If you do beat me to 1000 before I reach 2000 then I shall offer you a vegetarian meal - only fair.
  • Ahoy-hoy peeps!

Harmander - that's very generous of you... in the unlikely event that I stay ahead of you I'll go for the bag of chips - the same as you - since they're vegetarian  :D

A very entertaining Fartlek session for me this evening - anything that was remotely up hill I ran as hard as I could (about 10K pace if it were on the flat) plus a few other flat out sprints between lamp posts, etc. It was very enjoyable and I'm now 141.44 miles ahead of you, Harmander, as the total distance was 7.07 miles.

YTD: 664.18 miles.
  • Whoa, - Hold on there Little Nell,
    I did 14.33 miles today so my
    YTD = 1537.07 miles
    I make that 127.11 miles behind you
    And just for the record, I will be doing more (but shorter runs) until the ultra on 29 July - rather unconventional I know but there is a method to my madness - will explain later.
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Felsted 10K today, bit too hot and only 1 water station so just glad to get round and finish.

YTD:         601.54, hurra for another milestone, only about 60miles behind you Nell, but may catch up a bit next week,  ;) or may crash and burn. 

• Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    459.4 miles

Since last post, park run and 6 sweaty gym thread mill miles.
  • Bonsoir mes amis!

Harmander - you've made up some ground on me... I had 15 miles planned (which would have given me a little bit extra over you) - but a toilet crisis caused me to have to cut my LSR short... it turned into a MVSR in the end... hahaha!

Congrats on both crashing through the 600 barrier and on managing to race in this heat, senidM... good work. Good to have you right on my heels - I have a big work event on this week - lots of eating out but not much opportunity for running, so plenty of chance for you to make up ground... sounds like you've got a plan afoot as well!?

Nice and steady there, Donnie - I agree, on the rare occasions I've run on a dreadmill I've definitely sweated more than had I been outside... even if it was 30 degrees C outside!

So - as indicated, the planned 15 LSR turned into a measly 9.55... but some miles are better than none at all... I'll start saving up my pennies to buy Harmander his monster bag of chips... :D

YTD: 673.73 miles (nice and rhythmical!) :)
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Nell - for some of us 9.55 miles is not 'measly' at all, but only just short of the longest I've ever run (10 miles)!

I did 4.5 last night, which brings me to 480 YTD. I'm hoping get through the 500 barrier by the end of this week (so around two weeks behind target, which isn't too bad).

• Morning all,

Well didn't quite manage the sub 4.15 target on Thursday, but did have an interesting run overall. Arrived after a 2 hour drive for registration just before it opened at 07.00, had the required pre race briefing and then we were off at 08.00 on the dot. The weather was warm and humid but not too bad, I went through the first 3 aid stations well within my target, felt good and was enjoying the natter with other runners, then around 20 miles someone put in a very long hill and followed it up with a Thunderstorm (with the really hard rain) Joy!
    Finally crossed the line in 4.24 so not far off.
    The event was the Great Barrow 10 in 10 and I did day 8 of 10, it was really friendly, well organised and relaxed, I believe around 35 runners did all 10 days with the winner being a young chap called Adam Holland who seemed like a nice chap, he averaged 2.58 per marathon (maybe next year?)
    My next planned marathon is not to October 3rd, so have just printed out a nice crisp new spreadsheet for the next 12 weeks.

Stats for last week:

06.07.17 - 26.2
    09.07.17 - 3.75 (Recovery run with no aches or pains - always a bonus)

YTD = 605.53

Nell, Great running last week, I think all of us can relate to the toilet crisis, it is most annoying.
    Harmander, Enjoy your upcoming chips! (Sorry Nell)
    Senidm, Well done on the 10K, boy has it been warm & humid lately.
  • FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    I am so far behind. I've had a month off due to pulling a muscle in my back. Had a short 30 min run on Saturday and I'm happy to say my back appeared to be fine. I have a tiny count of 260.54 miles for the year. At this rate, I'm going to be happy just getting to 500 miles.
  • As promised, shorter but more frequent runs means 8.86 miles yesterday and this morning means 
    YTD = 1554.80 miles
    That's 118.93 miles behind Little Nell - Thanks David Charman.
    Faya - of course yo will - set yourself a slightly more ambitious target, say 1000km.
    Hayfever is doing me in now
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    471.4 miles

Can anyone recommend a website for buying trainers? I've previously used sportshoes.com but they no longer stock Nike. I know the brand, size and model I want so easy to buy online.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

I've just used Start Fitness to purchase a pair of racing flats - they were very efficient and the shoes arrived the next day, the order was tracked etc.

6 miles last night brings me to 486 YTD

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Wow, some big mileages being logged, amazing work all.

Celtic Trail Marathon for me this Saturday so just a few runs done this week along with marshalling at our club 5k beach race.

650 YTD

• 8.87 miles yesterday and this morning makes 
    YTD = 1572.54 miles
    This makes me 101.19 miles behind Little Nell
    I will try and catch up by the time of my birthday at the end of the month.
    Hobie1495 - marshalling cannot possibly count towards your run total lol
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Another 5.5 last night, so up to 491.5 YTD. Got another 5.5 planned tonight (incorporating an intervals session of 4x1k at just quicker than 5k pace). Then hoping to get some in on Sunday to take me past 500.
  • Well done AndrewD,  a little push and you will be back on track.
    last of the five paced sessions this week - 8.87 miles making 
    YTD = 1582.41 miles
    S just 92.32 miles behind Little Nell - I can faintly smell the vinegar on the chips.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    5.5 tonight, intervals went well. Up to 497 YTD
  • A much better 10.19 mile run including Parkrun today making
    YTD = 1591.60 miles
    Just 82.13 miles  behind Little Nell with an Ultra lined up for 29 July. 
    The method to my madness is working - more later
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi all, really lost my mojo lately, typical of me this time of year. Gets hot and I just can't be doing with it. Anyway, this is a challenge after all so on with the battle.

Ran an extreme off road 4.1m route with Mrs JR last Friday. It wouldn't have been extreme had anyone walked those public footpaths this century!

Ran 5k yesterday afternoon after a whole week off suffering from 'It's Summer and I can't be bothereditis'. It was good to be out again.

Then today, after I told myself i'd really just been tapering, I ran the Blackdown Beauty. An 18 mile, self navigation off road run, where we got lost at least twice, climbed 1,981 feet, missed the cream tea checkpoint, met a farmer who gave me a lovely slice of chocolate cake and our group a cup of tea before telling us we were so lost we weren't even on the map provided. After following his (excellent) directions we managed to find our way back to the finish and finished with a lovely cheeseburger and a cold pint. 150 entrants, lots of old friends and a £10 entry fee. Will be back next year, who knows if we'll get the route right!

July - 28.3

2017 - 481.66
  • DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    YTD 996 miles..... after an easy 16km this morning.

Should crack the target on tuesday :)
  • Dad Again - well done on getting to 1000 miles in 200 days (on Tuesday)
    Just Run, I have managed to reboot myself by chasing new targets - like Little Nell's running total by a certain date - assuming she does't read this and reboots herself. It is why I did 20.17 miles LSR today and I found I was about three minutes faster over the same distance from four weeks ago. 
    This was my madness, I have an ultra on 29th July which I aim to jog around in but at a faster pace than my usual casual speed. I therefore started just trying to knock off whatever time I could over a given shorter distance for a week or so and found I have now got a faster base speed. I know three minutes is not a lot over 20 miles but it all helps.
    YTD = 1611.77 miles
    This is now 61.96 miles behind Little Nell
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Tough Great Celtic Trail Marathon yesterday (4hr 12 mins), wet, foggy 1200m of climbing. Slight issue when the vehicle carrying marshals out to the course crashed down a bank due to slippery conditions, happy to report all ok.

676 miles to date
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Sounds like some lovely runs being done out there, the Blackdown Beauty sounds a fantastic run, Just Run. As does the Great Celtic Trail Run Hobie, great time by the way, those runs can add loads of time compared with a flat road race, so a 4:15 sounds great.

And thanks for the Heads-up re the 10in 10, David Charman; I used to run the Bury 20, back when, and the inner running masochist in me thinks "10 marathons in 10 days, trail runs, I could do that" but perhaps thats a bit delusional of me. :/

Anyway, for me, this weekend was the Spitfire Scramble, a 24 hour event around my local Country Park, (its a psychogical bonus when you run the course twice a week, and know it like the backofyourhand). As many laps of 5.72 miles as you can manage in between 12 Sat and 12 Sunday, and I got into double figures (just) so a 57.2 for me this weekend. 
    Almost Harmander levels there, but just for 1 weekend!

So YTD:      676.74

and no crash or burn, Little Nell, hurra, but I do feel a bit fragile at the moment. :*

• Wow SenidM, that is amazing total for the weekend.
    You are right about the weekly mileage, I was planning to go to 42 mile a week (from 56) but chasing Little Nell has just edged the average over 28 weeks to 57.54. You however did it in 24 hours - am impressed.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great effort Hobie. Glad to hear the marshals were all ok!

senidM 
    Seriously impressive! 

Harmander I have entered another event to give me something to aim for. The 3 peaks in Dorset with panoramic views and breathtaking countryside. A visually stunning 25k trail run and a stunning medal is promised. That should get me out the door training!
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    482.5 miles, sine last post another park run plus a few bits and pieces at the gym and on the road. 

Thanks to AndrewD for the recommendation of Start Fitness site to buy new trainers.