P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Reg - Fantastic performance, great report too.
    Joe - Great result by yourself and Katie, she really is improving rapidly.
    Alan - Solid mileage there already.

Easy week last week, with just the 12m Saturday and 8m Sunday. However back on it today with a 13m MLR this morning (4:40am start!!), felt good, HR low and pace easy. Got a 50k event on Saturday, using it as a training run, but want to see if I can beat last years time!!
  • Congrats on the TT trophy and the 7th place Reg.

Nice work on the track double Millsy.

THM3 - having to dig in at mile 14 suggests to me you simply went out a bit too fast. It’s easily done, as it’s so hard to really know what your perfect race pace is, even with a multitude of calculators and other predictors. Marathon training is also very cumulative, the more I do the better I feel towards the end, so another trying cycle should see you better prepared.

Solid long runs there JohnOz, Tom, and Millsy.

Well done getting back in to things JCG.

Nice racing Jooligan.

Amazing work Joe congrats. Very impressive stuff from Katie too. You’ll both be at Kona at this rate?! Looking forward to seeing how you do at the Outlaw.

Solid couple of weeks there AlanB.

I had a good time at Velothon Wales. Cycling on closed roads was great fun - especially going down hill on the wrong side of a dual carriageway :D . I think I paced myself quite well finishing in 4:35 (including a few minutes at one of the food stops) - well under the five hour goal I had in the back of my mind. I managed to do both big climbs without stopping too, which I was pleased with as I didn’t really do much hill training. Totally overdid it on the nutrition though - my jersey was packed with gels and flapjacks but I only ate a few flapjacks. Still don’t quite get cyclists obsession with fuelling…

My attention turns back to running now - I’m taking this week as it comes although I have the Bourton 1 mile race on Saturday evening. Then next week it’s back to the big miles. Quite looking forward to it!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    NE - One 3hr run sounds enough to me!

Impressive collection of MLRs Steve, good luck with the 50k

Well done on the Velothon Spoons, I also did that in the first year but it was more of a social one. Re fuelling I did the Wales Sportive on Saturday on about 4-5 gels and a banana and just two bottles of water and felt fine. 

I had about the same on the marathon the next day, they were giving out Torq gels, I don't know if I needed them but they go down well.
  • Well done on the top 10 Reg, I quite fancy the idea of the long weekend myself. Maybe next year. Macca.. come over the dark side, it's wonderful. Not that I'm doing a tri this year.. my bike is stuffed and we're buying a house instead (I may or may not have preferred a new bike). 

Fantastic efforts Joetie, I'll be keeping an eye on your progress at Outlaw. Podium potential? 

I don't like to eat on the bike either spoons, I tried to experiment before Outlaw last year and just ended up choking on a sandwich. This clip of cyclists eating silly things made me laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvy43QrIW5I

I went to a HIIT class yesterday, can barely walk today. Next is yoga this evening, then a run of whatever I fancy tomorrow. Lovely. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That image is disturbing. HIIT to Yoga, Coop, that one extreme to the other
  • Hahaha, oops!  It will be extreme yoga thanks to DOMS.   
  • Thanks all for the kind words - Katie getting more of the praise and deservedly so. I've told her there's a bunch of folks on the internet who know more about her than most of her normal friends!

Reg - really enjoyed reading the report, sounds like you had a really solid weekend, excellent performance. Would obviously love to pick your brains on the bike course at some point. 

HA - hope the sore throat clears up, take some calpol or whatever it is you're meant to do.

Good luck for the 50km Steve Mac you nutter!

Spoons - great day out at the Velothon. I'm on your side when it comes to being confused about the amount of stuff cyclists are eating. I just normally have water and might take a clif bar with me or maybe something like a flapjack. Never really fancy anything else.

Coops - rather you than me on the HIIT, not sure I'd survive more than 10 minutes.

Ticking over today and yesterday, just a couple of swims and a run this morning. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    More inspirational stuff going on this w/e.
    Great report Reg & incredible performance.
    Well done on the prize bagging JB/Katie. 
    Well done at the Velothon Spoons - looks like you paced it really well from Strava segments.
    Big mileage Alan & encouraging improvements in pace/HR in such a short time.
    Dw NE I only managed about 3hrs running over the w/e too - shame it should have been more like 2:40 based on previous performances.
    Well done JCG - love the video.

1st track session since VLM for me this evening after 2 5K jogs between mechanic & work (car has a shiny new MoT :smiley:) Inspired by SQ I did a verion of his descender 8/6/4/2/1 min efforts with 2 min jog recoveries. It was a popular session with everyone at the club given the rain: over & out in only 33 minutes. I was horribly slow but at least the legs were forced into some proper running after the earlier jogging. Onwards & upwards.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Great report Reg. You make it sound easy. Confirms that you've maintained fitness really well despite the injuries.

Liked the blog as usual Joe. Mostly I liked your new jumper though.

Great work in the velothon Spoons.

Nice one JCG. I also found the image somewhat disturbing. 

Seeing as it's summer and there are no marathons, I'm being a bit more lenient on the tri/cycling talk at the moment.

The sore throat is still hanging around, thanks Reg. Supposed to be the kids school sports day today, but it's been raining all night so not sure if it'll be on. I've packed my lycra sprint suit and spikes for the parents race anyway, hoping it dries out this afternoon.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Joe - Love the fact that someone doing an Ironman is calling me a nutter :D:D

Had a sports massage last night.....ouch is all I can say, it was brutal I had so many knots in my muscles and my legs felt sore afterwards. So did a really easy 4 mile recovery run this morning (10:04 min/mile) with 117 HR average, aim was to keep HR below 120.
  • Jooligan - great work with the track session - was a wet one out there yesterday evening!

HA - the jumper is classic, was gutted not to be able to keep it. Was amusing to be wearing around transition with everyone else wearing all their serious triathlon gear. Hope sports day is on and you crush all the other parents - show no mercy. 

Norwich write-up is up on the blog. 11 days to go!

https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/11/norwich-triathlon-09072017/
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sad to report that there was no parents race at sports day, so I just sat there in my lycra and spikes like a loser. 
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    8 miles for me this morning, 3 easy then 2 at LT pace (6:26/6:19) then another 3 easy, felt good. Much easier to run those LT miles when it's a bit cooler though!!

I'm hoping that by just running 2 LT miles a week, although not every week will help me come marathon time in October, as most of my miles in the build up to this ultra have been easy!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Morning all.

Quality performance at the weekend Reg and enjoyed reading your report. Incredible how you have maintaned such high fitness levels despite the injuries.

Well done on the Velothon Spooons. Looking forward to hearing about the upcoming monster mileage!

Nice track session in the rain Jools-much more preferable than running in the heat!

Gutted for you HA-was looking forward to reading about you winning that race by half the track. You will just have to win Abo now to make up for it!

Looking forward to reading your report a bit later Joe. Cheese sandwich and coffee to accompany it.

Not much to report hear. 9 miles with strides Tuesday, an easyish Half Marathon yesterday and then a 6 mile jog this morning. Feeling a bit sluggish this week. Not sure why......could do with a holiday and more sleep!

• Devastating news HA. 

Tom - solid work as always. Summer holidays just around the corner surely?! Very jealous.

Been a fairly steady week so far, easing back in a big way. 3 swims, a couple of bikes and a couple of runs, all 45 minutes or less. 

The benefits of the taper seem to be kicking in though, went for a general aerobic run yesterday and just turned off pace and ran by feel. Felt like I was jogging easy the whole way and it turned out I'd run the 6 miles @ just under 7mm! I've never run that speed for that effort level before. Promising signs. 

Anyone racing this weekend?
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Awesome report Reg, great marathon time to finish off the weekend. 

Fantastic result Joe, you're on for a seriously good performance in a few weeks and surely Kona beckons!

Nice Tom-esque run 1SteveMac. What's the 50k you're doing?

Well done on the velothon spoons, you're training this year seems to be on a roll. 

Good mix of sessions JCG, variety is the spice of life!

I front loaded the sessions this week with 6x800m, 12m MLR and a 6k LT run. Couple of easy days and then a small HM on Sunday to see where I'm at before I start P&D. Looking forward to it and if I can get anywhere near 1:25 I'll be happy. Before that I'm attempting my first parkrun with my daughter, she's never been over 2k so fingers crossed she keeps going. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Solid early week training John. Good luck with the half and parkrun.

Joe - I like those sort of runs, things obviously going well. I imagine it's hard to predict how things will go over a ironman distance but you must be going into it confident you've done everything within your control to have a great race. 

Tom - I've constantly felt like I need more sleep since my kids were born 6 years ago. 

SteveMac - I think it's a good idea to put in those little bursts of pace in your runs to keep your legs turning over. 

Had limited time today but still squeezed in a Mona fartlek session with limited w/u, w/d. Was good to get out for a blast. Still not feeling 100% but much better than I did at the start of the week. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Belated......

Pen Llyn Ultra 29th July
    Northender - P&D/DIY - Target Time 22hr.

North Downs Way 5th August

Maccatheknacca

Oxford Half 8th October

RunSpoonRun - P&L 100 mi HM plan - Target Time 79:59

Munich 8th Oct - OuchOuch 2.49-2.52

Birmingham 15th October

SteveMac - P&D/DIY - Target Time TBA

Amsterdam 15th October

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

Melbourne 15th October
    JohnOz - P&D 12/70 plan - Target time 2:59

Abingdon 22nd October
    Reg Wand - DIY Plan  Target time 2:43

HA77 - DIY Plan Target Time 2:30

Tom-P&D/DIY 12/70 plan-Target time TBA

AWC – P&D 12/55 – Target Time 3:29:59

Coops - P&D gently gently version - Target time TBA 

Autumn 100 21st October

Maccatheknacca

Eryri/Snowdonia 28th October

Jooligan - DIY (P&D guided) Target Time sub 3:30 (aspirational sub 3:15)

Frankfurt 29th October

PJFrizzle - P&D up to 70mpw - TT 2:59:59 (A) 3:05 (B)

Valencia 19th November

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

OuchOuch   2.49-2.52

Currently running c65 mpw, but need some speed...

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me crashing the party. I'm a bit late in the day! I've fallen out of love with the new look RW website so not been around for a while but popped on today and saw your thread. I'm running Fort William on 30th July.

I'm following an abbreviated (10/55) P & D plan, but I'm a big Pfitzinger fan having used the 12/55 to get a marathon PB of 3:45:12 (those 12 secs bug me) in 2013; this took 14 mins off my previous best. I've not done a marathon since.

Following Pfitzinger and Latter plans I've run PBs across the distances, switching to a different plan (or part of) this past year, so I started my training with a consistent base of 30 miles a week this year - that's good for me! 

I'm now beginning to panic as I don't know how to pace this marathon! It's an undulating route:

https://www.fortwilliammarathon.co.uk/route-profile/

I've done 2 X 20 & 1 X 21 mile runs, and peaked at 53 miles (run over 5 days) followed immediately by 6 days if hill walking (another 53 miles with 13 Munros and a Corbett, and quite a few miles on the bike to access the hills). I think my endurance is pretty strong as I've felt good on finishing my long runs. I just don't want to go off too hard and burn out!
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Nice target Ouchouch. Are you following a plan or DIY?

Another solid mona fartlek HA77, great speed work for Abingdon. Are you finding them getting easier?

Welcome Clag, P&D can really help you get your time down, however you should make sure your runs are on hilly routes as often as you can as no amount of mileage can prepare you for that. You'll get a feel for what pace is sustainable uphill and downhill so maybe focus on effort rather than pace. Any HMs coming up that you can try out your target pace?

1:27 today on a flat course except for steep ramps going over a bridge 4 times that sucked the life out of my legs. Still OK considering I haven't started specific training yet and I have another in mid Sep, the Sydney half which goes over the harbour bridge when they close it down and finishes at the opera house. 
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭
    I raced a couple of weeks ago in a hilly half (first 6 miles uphill) and did a hilly warm up prior to it. Ran the half in 1:41:06 as I was able to hammer it coming back down. Taking in the warm up I did just over 17 miles at 7:52 average pace.

On my long training runs I've been running hilly courses, the last one covering a greater elevation than the marathon overal, and I ran 21 miles at 8:51 average. I've generally felt quite strong on these and have run by feel. At the end I've felt that I could have continued happily.

It is just the whole question of how to do my best without overlooking the down/flat bits so I've nothing left for the ups. I maybe just need to decide on a pace and not go any faster, but slower is ok.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    JohnOz - Decent HM time as not really in training. DIY, the target "inspired" by the 2.50.06 at London....just want to tick off a sub 250 marathon.   So a few tweaks to have my running weight nearer 10.8 from 10.10, increase weekly miles from low to high 60's and run a fast weekly 5k.  
    Clag - welcome, sounds like your in good shape - pacing will be key. I've beaten plenty of faster runners who go too fast too early or on the climbs.   
  • John - sounds like you're in a great spot to start training from, well done today. That Sydney route sounds awesome, loved the place when I was there in November. 

Clag - welcome mate. Sounds like you've done the right thing by training on hills - will put you in a good spot for a couple of weeks time. Very hard to judge pace on hills - if I were you I'd run to feel/heart rate (do you normally train with heart rate?) and make sure you're not burning too many matches early on. Run easier on the ups and push hard on the down - I always think thats the best way. 

OO - I'm very confident you'll find those 6 seconds!

After a easier weeks training we were over in East London on saturday morning so took in Raphael parkrun. The plan was a steady 'tempo' effort. Went off and just sat behind the first two guys for a couple of miles, probably at about 80% effort, before kicking on nearer to the end. It's only when I looked at my watch with half a mile to go I realised how fast I was running. Upped the effort and finished in 17.08 which is an all-time 5km PB. The best thing about it was I had plenty left in the tank - hoping to break 17 at some point in the near future.

I know you all love the Katie updates - this one is probably the most absurd. She shaved over a minute off her PB to run 19.30! I've told her she's now officially the runner of the household as she has a better age-grading than I do.. The scary & exciting thing is I think she's just getting started. 

This morning was my last ride of note before next weekend, 50 miles in the saddle and a little 5km run off the bike. Time to wrap myself up in cotton wool!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

Very decent effort today John. Looking very good at the start of the plan. That Sydney HM sounds like a great event!

OO- That sub 2:50 is a certainty given decent conditions!

Welcome Clag. You seem to be in good shape and well prepared for a good race as long as you get the pacing spot on.

Fantastic Parkruns from Katie and Joe. What are you two sprinkling on your cornflakes? I'd like some please!

20 miles at an easy 6:50 m/m pace for me this morning. 65 miles for the week.
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    HA - hope the sore throat is improving. Nice sessions again.

Welcome jtced - good luck with the training. Keep us posted.

Saw your Iron weekend on strava Reg, well done and shows you've kept the fitness.

Good luck with the taper NE.

How did the 50k go Steve?

Well done on the velothon spoons, hope the mile race went well.

Well done for slogging through the sessions Jooligan, I'm too scared to try any sessions at the mo.

Well done on the half John, remind us again what your PB is?

Welcome again OO, nice target. 

Welcome Clag, is the Fort Bill mara not mostly a trail route these days?

Great blog Joe, well done on the parkwon yesterday and once again congrats to Katie.

Impressive training week as always Tom, keep it up.

Scores on the boards again;

Week No. 1 2 3
    No. of Runs 8 9 9
    Miles 72 88 87
    Ave pace (min/mile) 07:19 07:15 07:03
    Aerobic Efficiency (bts/mile, Ave) 1049 1033 1010
    Long Run (distance & pace) 16 miles @ 7:34's 18 miles @ 7:15's 19 miles @ 7:10's

Good progress again this week, long run was tough though, back and hips were giving me bother again. Hopefully it comes to nothing. More of the same this week.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the great PBs Joe/Katie.
    Welcome Clag.  Good luck with it all.

My last big run today.  18miler along fairly undulating fields and trails along Offa's Dyke.  My mileage has been a bit disappointing during this campaign (as always!)...  pretty much the same as for the marathon... but it's been much slower mileage so I suppose I've had a lot more time on my feet.  Taper time.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    NE - Hope the taper in uneventful, looking forward to seeing how you go on the LLyn Peninsular. Love it up there.

Alan - Solid mileage and solid improvements. What's your maximum planned mileage?

John - nice work in the half. I don't know if I'm getting much faster in my short workouts but they certainly feel more in control.

Tom - T1000esque long run there as expected.

OO - Sounds like a good plan.

Welcome Clag. Must be taper time now with Fort William on the 30th? Good luck. I'm with Joe on the hill pacing, maintain effort on the uphills and open up on the downs.

Joe - Great 80% effort PB!! It must be disappointing to do all that training and still not be the best runner in your house. You'll just be the support staff soon. What's Katie's plan next? If she was really keen she could build up training a bit, choose a half marathon in October, run sub 1:30 and join you on the champs start in London. Really no need to rush though. 

Sore throat has cleared. Backed up the Mona fartlek on Friday with a 13ish mile tempo run on Saturday, which was good. Felt like I was losing it in my legs a bit at the end but held it together with some concentration, which is how I like my hard sessions to be.
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    HA - Glad to hear the throat is getting better. That is pretty much as high as the mileage will go for me. Have just been running to feel so far but planning this week to start working more to an organised plan. Will be using the heart rate to keep in the right zones and will just go by the plan I used at the start of the year.

Ooops, table didn't come across as planned, will try again.

Week No.  1 2 3
    No. of Runs 8 9 9
    Miles 72 88 87
    Ave pace (min/mile) 07:19 07:15 07:03
    Aerobic Efficiency (bts/mile, Ave) 1049 1033 1010
    Long Run (distance & pace) 16 miles @ 7:34's 18 miles @ 7:15's 19 miles @ 7:10's
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Nice stats AlanB, everything moving in the right direction! My HM PB is 1:23 off the back of marathon training last year so I've still a bit to go to regain proper fitness so the Sydney HM will be the real test of what shape I'm in.

Amazing PBs Joe & Katie, however at the rate she's improving she'll be overtaking you soon! You're in great shape for the weekend, are you willing to share any predictions!?

Good back to back sessions HA77, maybe it's time to try out your fitness in a race?
  • Glad I’m not the only one who thinks cyclists overdo the eating. I suppose being used to doing most of my runs before breakfast helps. Haha that video made me chuckle JCG, I do like GCN it’s a shame there isn’t a similar running one around.

Nice track session Jooligan.

Impressively low recovery HR Steve

Enjoyed the race report Joe, and looking forward to seeing how you get on at the weekend. Good luck! Congrats to Katie too, her progress has been incredible lately. Given how quickly she’s been progressing, who knows how far she can go!?

Sorry to hear the sprint suit went to waste HA;) 

Top running as ever Tom.

Quality sessions there John, and nice HM. That’s a solid time to be doing at the start of a training block.

Welcome Clag.

Training looks like it’s going well Alan, solid long runs and nice downward trend on the aerobic efficiency.

Hope the taper goes well NE.

I had a reasonable race at the Bourton One Mile Challenge on Saturday evening. Bourton-on-the-Water is a ridiculously pretty village and the route is a nice simple point-to-point running in to the centre of Bourton. I had no idea how I’d perform given the Velothon was less than a week ago, I hadn’t done any specific training, and I’m a good 1/2 stone over race weight. My legs felt very flat at the start but I tried to just push on as much as I could, and finished in 5:29 with the last 1/4 mile being my fastest split, for a 2 second PB.

The legs felt fine afterwards so I think I had more in me, but I’m happy enough with the result. I definitely want to target a mile race one day, and do all the super-fast speedwork. It’s a shame there aren’t more proper mile races around - most tend to be kids races tacked on to bigger events!

I followed that up with a 16 miler the next day along the canal, which I was happy to average 7:31/mi. Then today the 12 week P&L plan officially started, although it’s been totally rejigged this week as I have a meeting tomorrow and a 10K race on Sunday (replacing the tempo run), so it was another 13 miles for me this morning.

Legs felt a bit tired from yesterday, but still managed an average of 7:21/mi so pleased with that. Right around the higher end of the pace I was doing medium-long runs at during the Brighton build-up, so a good place to start from and hopefully plenty more to come over the next 12 weeks.