Overdone it?

Comments

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

The fastest course local to be is definitely Long Eaton, which is ranked at 86th on the link with an elevation of 73 feet. This puts it below two other local courses (Colwick and Beeston) but they are considerably slower than LE, mainly due to the terrain and also at Beeston there is a 180 degree switchback to negotiate. Long Eaton is two laps of a figure of 8 course on smooth tarmac paths which makes it so much quicker.

I've ran a few of the courses which feature with the most elevation gain including Mount Edgcombe which has 483 feet making it the second hilliest and that was tough going. I'll hopefully be able to give Lanhydrock a go later this summer and I'll be able to see how the two compare. Having had to grind out over 1000ft of climbing in less than two miles on Saturday I'm sure this will feel easy in comparison.

• Hull at 33 in the list holds my own personal best and I would say it is the fastest course above all the brummie ones I've done too, having two mostly circular laps on reasonable surfaces. I look forward to tanking round it in August some time! 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Pegwell - 11th

Very flat but only about 20 yards of tarmac and another 20 of grass, the rest is gravel. There's some building work going on there at the moment too which explains a lot of pb's there on Saturday - Connect shows the course is now just 4790mtrs !!

35M last week over 5 runs including an 8M and a 12M  ..... new highs for 2017 !!

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Albert & Riverside are my go to PB courses at 56 and 124 respectively. Like Skinny pretty surprised that there could be 123 flatter courses than Riverside.

Tommy nice double up racing there.

Bit of an odd question but does anyone have any solutions for not getting covered in sticky gels doing long runs on a hot day? I'm finding they kind of melt and I'm using them without water so I'm basically ending up a sticky mess which is really quite unpleasant. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Apparently the data was taken from some kind of uk footpaths database, which is already established as very wrong. I have heard that there are now facebook parkrun groups repeating the exercise using runners gps data.

Good going, Mace, you'll soon be back at 80 mile weeks!

10 miles easy yesterday lunchtime. Wilted quite a bit in the second half in the heat.

Weight is now back down to 11,2, however, according to various devices available to me my bodyfat is reduced. My fitbit scales show about 2% less than over spring and the bodytrax device at the gym says I am carrying 2kg less fat mass. My own press-up challenge is progressing nicely, hit 80 this morning.

I use jellybabies Mr V. When I used gels I encountered the same issue and the best solution I came up with was using my hair to at least wipe it off my hands!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. I'm on holiday in Samoëns, which is lovely. Hastings and Aberdeen are both fairly high up that list because they are along the promenade on the seafront. However, they are unlikely to be the fastest courses unless it is a freakishly still day.

I would avoid getting sticky by not bothering to take any gels with me.
  • There's something about DT ...

Good work Mace, I trust it's all feeling easier too.

Mr V, I rehearsed with gels twice, poorly. Sure there is knack to it, but I never found it. At least in the races there is water around to wash your hands. Otherwise in training it's a tradeoff between sticky hands and sticky t-shirt.

I managed a brisk 5k, a 5 mile fartlek and around 7.5 miles of easy so far this week. Looking forward to some gym work at lunchtime and then a recovery jog this evening. Long-ish run with a bit of marathon effort planned for tomorrow night, so easy does it today.

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - Good work on the weight, sounding lean. Not sure I have enough hair for that to be a viable strategy!

Lit had to google that but looks very nice. I can imagine there's some very pleasant running to be done. Do you take gels in an actual marathon though? I wouldn't bother on long runs but feel I should practice for the race having never done one before.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Yes I do in an actual race but now that I have done a few and know that I can digest them without shitting myself I don't feel the need to bother practising. When I did I used to just take one or two out on a couple of long runs to make sure I could get them open while running and consume them without needing a poo. I find if you score the packet slightly to make it easier to open them at the narrowest part it is not too hard to squeeze them into your mouth without getting them all over your hands.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Am I alone in being able to eat the gels without getting sticky hands? Maybe because I don't run as fas tas the rest of you over a marathon.

Mr V - I'm up at a wedding just south of Middlesbrough in a few weeks, I was going to head to Stewart parkrun but could be tempted by Albert if you think it's a decent course?

Club track champs tonight - hopefully all my bones stay on one piece. Only doing the Mile though so hopefully no dipping for the line required.  

• Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Tommy - Albert is really good if you are after a fast time. Very flat and all on tarmac paths. Not really any tight turns or anything. It's 2 laps so there is a bit of traffic 2nd time round but you can easily cut onto the grass to pass people without losing any real time. Good luck for the mile tonight.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Tommy2D said:

Killed the thread.

Anyway, just been sent this, which people may or may not find interesting

https://jegmar.com/fastest-races/parkrun/

Interesting break down there Tommy! And like mentioned, not quite a guide on "fast" nature of the course, but still very interesting.

Fulham Palace is one that many down my way rate as some sort of super fast course.

407th on this list!  And looks like a dodgy 3 lapper with a climb on each!

Similar scenario for Black Park though a lot higher up, seems to be a lot of small ups and downs (I got it on a boggy day years ago too)

Meanwhile Dulwich (pb course) doesn't figure too high up the "No elevation" list either

At least South Oxhey (302) 3 lapper with a steep hill, and Gadesbridge (374) look as severe as they felt at the time!

Lanhydrock must make you feel like an absolute don...for half the run!

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

I've just checked my Strava and that has Mount Edgcombe as 621 feet of elevation gain and not the 435 that site reckons. It must depend what base map they are using to calculate the elevations. Still useful as a rough guide.

Mr V - Cheers, might head to Albert parkrun then.

Didn't end up running in the mile last night, wasn't feeling 100% and with thunder run this weekend I thought better of it.   

•  Hmm, shame Tommy, I thought you might excel over a mile.

I didn't know what thunder run was, so googled it. It said something about a 24 hour ultra marathon  :o

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes there are a team from my parkrun going, all comfortably sub 40 10k runners, with the aim of winning it.

Planning a tempo run tonight after work, probably a bit faster than mp. Hopefully it will remain cloudy and miserable.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Sounds like we'll have some company then, DT (assuming they're in the small team category not the large team). Our men's team came third last year and are looking to improve on that. We have one 34 minute 10k man who's also an excellent ultra runner (he completed Bob Graham round a few weeks ago) and then the rest of us are 37-39 minutes for 10k with a decent amount of ultra/endurance running between us (Steve also tickled out 100 miles in the solo event last year). So on paper we've got a decent enough team but these 24 hour events are tricky beasts so who knows how this will pan out.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes I think they are a 5. I know 4 of them and 2 are 35/36 min 10k runners and other 2 are 38/39 mins so probably quite well matched to you.
  • DT19 said:

When I used gels I encountered the same issue and the best solution I came up with was using my hair to at least wipe it off my hands!

There's something about DT ...
     :D 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Surprisingly good run last night. Went out a bit undecided between mp or long tempo. First mile came in at 6.40 which was long tempo pace but not really long tempo effort so I pushed on a bit so ended up with 5 miles at 6.35 average for 163 hr which is bottom of long tempo hr range. As good a training run statistically as I can recall which suggests that there is little wrong with my fitness following Droitwich last week.

In other news, following initial disappointment missing out on the vaporfly 4% which sold out in about 45 minutes yesterday morning, I stumbled across a pair on sweatshop last night. I've never spent £200 on any item of clothing so they better be good!!

• macemace ✭✭✭
    By my reckoning that's 6:19 average vaporfly equivalent ...

38 mile week off 5 runs including an 8.5 and a 14 @ 8:45/M ( 129 av HR so nice and easy ) yesterday

Getting there :-)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, looking good, Mace. 

Following Thursday's tempo I decided to parkrun Saturday. 19.05 for my 4th fastest and 6 seconds off pb. So I think Droitwich 10k was definitely a blip.

20 this morning at 7.55 pace. Was nice and easy until Sun came out around 11 miles in. Been a decent weeks training.

Just as I was running down my street a delivery man was at my door with my magic daps.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about thunder run off Tommy. I heard that the rain started early doors from about 3rd lap and it turned into a swamp.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Mace - good to see the progress continuing, definitely getting there!

DT - You seem to be going well, Droitwich excluded. Be interested to hear your opinion of the vaporfly. I'm expecting something special for 200 quid!

21 for me this morning at 7.35 pace. Was feeling it a bit in the last couple of miles but it brought up 66 for the week so no surprises there. Biggest week mileage wise for me for a long time, possibly ever. 
  • Well done Mace. Leading you slightly with 45 miles for the week. Long run today came out a bit sharp after a rest day with about 13 miles around 6.50 something min/mile. Heart rate top end easy. Always find relative freshness make a big difference on these runs. 

Great long runs and mileage Mr V and DT. But what the heck are magic daps? Did I miss something? 

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

I'm looking forward to hearing all about thunder run off Tommy. I heard that the rain started early doors from about 3rd lap and it turned into a swamp.
    Thunder Run - the horror.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Mace - great to see. Any plans for a race any time soon?

Mr V - seems like you're coping well with marathon training, how long till race day?

DT - Another 20 and still fairly early in the training plan. Nice parkrun.

Muddy - tidy LSR.

So...Thunder Run 2017. As I mentioned last week, the men's team (of 5) from our club had come 3rd last year with a total of 31 laps. The team this year (which only featured 1 member of last years team) was aiming for 32 laps and to improve on last years 3rd place.

Arrived at Catton Park in Staffordshire on Saturday morning in bright sunshine, although things were a bit damp from the heavy rain the previous night. Our star man lead us off and started off with a 39 minute 10k lap, which was a decent start but his feedback about how tricky the course was and how it would deteriorate over time were concerning.

I was fifth on our rota and as such I got to start my first lap just as the rain had started. Excellent. The course was entirely cross country and plenty of hills and narrow tracks through woods etc and very very twisty which meant getting into a decent stride impossible. First lap came out at 44 minutes but I had to put in a decent effort to get 44 minutes. By the end of our first rotation we were in 9th place in the men's small team category.

From then on, the rain never relented until mid morning on Sunday. The ground conditions deteriorated so it was just a total mudbath. It was brutal. Here's a summary of my laps:

Lap 2 - 47 minutes. Wrong shoes. conditions so much worse than first lap. Team moved up to third place.

Lap 3 - 48 minutes. Had put on fell shoes and they were handling the mud very well. My mate ame over to pace me for this lap, however, he'd paced another guy the lap before and was struggling to stick with me so I had to drop him after 4k. He's just ran a sub 18 5k so he's no slouch but not so good the hills. Team moved up to second place. Team in 3rd.

Lap 4 - 56 minutes. Rain at its heaviest. Couldn't see where I was going. Getting windier. People falling all over the place. Nearly vomit after I finish the lap. Team in second.

Lap 5- 52 minutes. It's light, which makes things a bit easier. Still raining. Not very much fun. Team in second but being caught by team in third.

Lap 6 56 minutes. Stopped raining, wahoo! However, mud very sticky and my legs are shot. Feel completely spent. Have a little lie down at the finish and consume. Team in third. Just need our star man to finish the lap to secure the spot.

12:15 on Sunday, our team finish in 3rd. 11minutes behind second and a full lap behind the winners. Think we were 30 minutes ahead of 4th.

14:00 - award ceremony in bright sunshine drinking a delicious pint of lager.

Totally different experience to the last 24 hour team race I did where it was dry all the time, we had a fire pit to sit round etc. Which I really enjoyed despite doing 70k. This was just totally savage. Getting piss wet through and covered in mud time and time again and the git of a course just made it bloody hard.

How did your parkrun team get on at Thunder Run, DT? 

Skinny, next time you do a table update can I have the hardest ever earned team prize point to grace the TTT? Last year the 3rd placed team all get a pair of adidas trainers, can you guess what we won this year...        

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Magic daps- Vaporfly 4%. Mr v, I am expecting a world of magic. I will do 5 at mp Wednesday lunchtime to get a feel for them.

Good long running, Muddy. I managed 43 for the week so my highest in some time.

Tommy, I was 'watching' it unfold on strava over the weekend and could see the times dropping dramatically. The guys I know came 4th with 29 laps. One of their runners picked up an injury at lap 3 and looking at times, it appears that was their best man as his later laps dropped with the weather but disproportionately compared to others. It sounds like anything but fun to me. I am assuming that the weather wasn't a surprise and you were well equipped? 

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

DT - the weather forecast was for a bit of rain but nothing like what we experienced. I was prepared in that I had plenty of changes of clothes and waterproofs etc but I only ever ran in either a vest or a t shirt as it wasn't actually that cold when running.

Guess your guys were Wu Tang Ran then? They were ahead of us until the middle of the night and then started to drop away noticeably. We had wondered what had happened to them.

Something I forgot to mention is that at one point in the middle of the night a guy went off course and ended up falling down a cattle grid and broke his leg, poor bloke. He was back on site on the Sunday morning in a cast.  

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    That sounds like no fun at all Tommy. Looks like everyone else had nice runs though!
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Imagine running an entire cross country season in 24 hours entirely in the rain. That's how much fun it was.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have just seen some pics and that is the name on their t shirts. I shall make a note to ensure I never ever get any degree of curiosity about taking part in such an event.