How to make a fartlek workout on Garmin Fenix 5?

PatrickBPatrickB ✭✭✭
I have a Fenix 5 and I want to make a fartlek workout. I am trying to create a workout using Garmin connect. I am trying to create a workout so that when I click the lap button on my watch, it automatically starts a new lap etc; 

So for instance, I might start the workout and want to run 2 minutes easy, and then I'll click the lap button and then run 3 minutes hard. I'll then click the lap button again when I start to run easy etc; I'm wanting to do this so that I can see the pace I have been running on each of those 'laps' when I upload my run later in the day. 

I have tried to make this workout by doing the following; 

The problem with this however is that when I press the lap button I just get the sign that the 'workout has ended' instead of just creating a new lap etc; 

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    You could click on 'add repeat' and add as many of those steps as you like. However, you can just do what you are describing without setting up a special workout. Just start your watch normally and press the lap button whenever you like.
  • PatrickBPatrickB ✭✭✭
    Yeh that's probably the easy way to go about it. That makes sense. So, even though on my normal runs I have the lap set to every 1 mile, if I press the lap key will my watch still show a new pace for the next lap etc; or will it still be averaging the lap pace from the previous lap (with the watch thinking it's still on the 1 mile lap?) 

The reason I'm wanting to do this is so that when I look at my run later on Garmin connect, I'll be able to see how fast I was going etc; on each fartlek section. 

Thanks 
  • PatrickBPatrickB ✭✭✭
    So for instance. 

say I use the normal timer with the lap set to 1 mile. If I press the lap button after 2 minutes when my pace has 8.25, will the next lap reset or will it still be averaging that 8.25 for the rest of the mile. 
  • mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    if you just use the watch in normal run mode, but disable to auto-lap, then it will definitely split up each lap, and if one of your laps happens to be more than a mile the autolap won't mess it up. You can leave the autolap on, and each press of the lap button will split up each lap, but if one of your laps happens to be more than a mile, the autolap would kick in, but each press of the lap button kind of resets it to start a new 'mile'. Hope that makes sense!
  • PatrickBPatrickB ✭✭✭
    Yeh I understand what you mean there abouts. Thanks