The Thousand Mile Club - 2017

Comments

• 'Ay oop, me ducks!

Some AMAZING running logged since my last foray on here - loving it!!!

Apologies, Andrew... didn't mean to denigrate anyone else's efforts by describing 9.55 miles as "measly" - I was just disappointed with myself (more specifically my digestive system) ;) Great, consistent running by you (consistency is what I'm lacking at the moment) - I trust today was the day when you broke the 500 barrier...

David - very nice potted race report. I can't believe you managed a 4:24 in tough conditions... fantastic running - well done! *reeeeespect* :smiley: Also good to hear the trusty spreadsheet is back in play - LOL! Which marathon is it? It appears to be on a Tuesday, if it's 3rd Oct... I have Chester Mara on Sunday 8th Oct.

Nice to see you again Faya! As Harmander says, give it a good shot... 1000 Km should be doable. Hope your back is fully recovered.

JR - I get the same sluggish feeling in Summer... much prefer training in Autumn and Winter... but LOL at you doing 5K then deciding to go out and do a 18-miler self navigated race! Well done on making it to the finish after going so far "off piste" and with that amount of elevation!

I'm guessing you have also broken through a massive barrier this weekend, DadAgain... well done on making the 1000 miles!!! A fantastic effort - very nice to have someone in Harmander's ball park :smile:

Seems to have been the week for trail races... brilliant running by you, Hobie, in what sounds like challenging conditions and a lot of climbing!!! *reeeeespect* also due to you too. :smiley: Glad to hear the marshals were OK as well. 

Donnie - very good to hear you're still managing to do some outdoor running as well as the treadmill... I admire your determination!

Your new training approach is making you catch up (overtake further) in leaps and bounds, Harmander... well done! *she says through gritted teeth" ;) You can collect your chips at the GNR - I'll look out for you at the finish and buy you some recovery fuel.

I've saved the biggest plaudits to last (although there were a few contenders!) Excellent effort there, senidM - I am most impressed!!! You weren't wrong when you said you'd be making up some ground this weekend. Congrats on the >57 miles in one outing... and briefly nosing ahead of me :smiley: Certainly no crash and burn -hope you are suitably nursing those trusty legs of yours now... I highly recommend a sports massage! 

As billed last weekend, this was a quiet week for me run-wise. Work was hectic as we hosted about 20 or so customers from Japan, Korea and China for a technology conference. It's always fun - but very "full on". I did 4.53 mi. yesterday with 2 miles at goal 10K pace (Wrexham 10K on 30th July - so I need to get my arse in gear with training!). Today was 16.06 mi. LSR... felt good to be back out putting miles in the bank (sans toilet issues this time)!

YTD: 694.32 miles.

• Good to see you back Little Nell.
    So you are now 82.55 miles ahead. 
    I got a busy week ahead of me so maybe if I just match you I will not fall behind - am planning about 36 miles during weekdays still.
    If I catch up with you, I will have the chips at Richmond on the 17th September.
    All the best

• Ah - OK... Richmond it is then, Harmander.

I take you are still doing GNR though - you just don't want the chips there?
  • Morning all,

Blimey, it has all been going on since last week, where to start.

Sendim, Wow, what a great effort, I bet your calf's still have not forgiven you, I did look at this event early in the year, and thought it seemed a possibility, however I am just not ready for a 24HR event as yet.
    JR, The Blackdown Beauty sounded like a lovely Trail run, even if you did get "slightly" lost, and what a bargain at £10.00 to boot.
    Hobbie1495, Glad everyone was okay at your event, sounded like a really tough one, congratulation on the time, 4.12 in those conditions was fantastic running.
    Andrew, I am guessing you will give an update later today, however in advance well done for getting to half way, all down hill from now.
    Harmander, Another solid week from you, where is your Ultra on the 29th?
    Nell, Glad you enjoyed getting out for a LSR, since last week I have booked another 6 hour timed event on the 14th September, at which I intend doing the marathon distance, this event is being held at Dorney lakes just outside Windsor, so third time lucky to crack 4.15? we shall see.
    With regards to October 3rd, which is indeed a Tuesday, this forms part of a three day 6 hour timed event at Hillingdon cycle circuit in Hayes and the medals are made of old 7" vinyl records. 

Stats for last week.

12.07.17 - 5
    14.07.17 - 4.37
    16.07.17 - 6.25

YTD = 621.15
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    David Charman, actually feel fine this morning, not many aches or pains, just a bit stiff, but not in a good way! And I won a gold coloured plastic cup in my category, so all good.

The Spitfire is a great event, lots of fun, and as a 24hour event means the number of laps you run is entirely up to you, most teams run about 3 each, which is doable for almost everyone over 24 hrs - so come on in. :)
  • Senidm, Does sound like a lot of fun and these events seem so well organised and friendly these days, so maybe next year we shall see.
    Glad you are feeling okay with not be many aches or pains, and well done on the cup, yet to win one myself!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, had a bit of a setback in the form of a very stiff knee yesterday which meant I could hardly walk, let alone run
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Weird, message cut out halfway through!

Anyway, much looser today but calf is definitely strained. Not sure if connected or not.
  • David Charman - it is the Twilight event in Redbridge on Forest Road Cycle track. Ultra starts at 10:00 am, the marathon starts at 2:00 pm and the half starts at 5:00 pm.
    Little Nell - yes am doing GNR - how can I miss it? it will complete my streak of completing the London marathon AND the Great North Run every year for the last 33 years. I believe this could be some sort of record.
    I missed the first four as I still considered myself a 10,000 m runner then. (PB of 30:14).
    Richmond on the 17th September is better for a nosh up afterwards as it is less crowded near the finish - but if you insist then we can arrange for the GNR as you are unlikely to be finishing several hours before me as you may do at Richmond.
  • hi guys.. completely irrelevant to this , but...how do I start another thread?!!! Can't see anywhere of how I can?!!

thanks! :)
  • Hi-dee-hi campers!

David - with your solid training, and the hard racing, of late I'm sure that sub-4:15 will be yours for the taking in September :)

Good to hear you're feeling well after your exploits, senidM... and very well done on the golden coloured receptacle - I'm sure you will treasure it always :smiley: 

Take care with your calf, Andrew - I recall how frustrating it was when I had a calf strain.

Harmander - I have no particular preference... I was just checking you were still planning on being in the NE the week before Richmond. I'm happy either way - the only caveat being that I have to catch a train on Sunday afternoon from Twickenham station - so depends when you finish (I take it you're pacing 5 hours again?)...

Ran back from Pilates again this evening. Totalled 3.53 mi. Was supposed to be a recovery run but turned into a progression run: 9:42/mi., 9:15/mi., 9:09/mi., 8:49/mi. I also tried out my new rucksack I'm planning to use for run commuting on Fridays (~16 - 17 miles). This is part of my plan to practise running long in quick succession - on Fridays and Sundays - to simulate the Boston/London double planned for next year. All seemed OK but we'll see on Friday!

YTD: 697.85 miles.

• Quickly - you need to have made three posts on existing threads before you can create a thread of your own. I believe it's to try to stop spammers - fat lot of good that does though!
  • Little Nell,

Yes I will be the 5 hour pacer at Richmond.

The Chips/Burger vans no the road just behind the finish at GMR then - as one comes out of the enclosure turn left.

This is all assuming I get to 2000 miles before you get to 1000 of course.
  • Little Nell,

Yes I will be the 5 hour pacer at Richmond.

The Chips/Burger vans on the road just behind the finish at GNR then - as one comes out of the enclosure turn left.

This is all assuming I get to 2000 miles before you get to 1000 of course.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    One projectile vomiting child in the house so one parent having to stay at home today......and this time it's me. This did mean, however, that I was able to get out for a gentle 5k before the wife leaves for work. What a beautiful morning!

July - 31.4

2017 - 484.76
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Little Nell I have often thought about running to work. We have a shower available and although it's not quite the workout you'll be getting at just over 4 miles something I really should give a go. Nice progression run, one of my favourite runs!

I do hope your pain will ease soon Andrew. We are level pegging Donnie, i'll try and stay with you!

David, you're going well, very consistent and yes, this thread moves way too fast!

• Aiming for 1000 miles can be addictive.     Since starting to record every run I did (yay excel) in 2005 I had done 1000ish miles 5 times, but hadn't noticed as I never looked at my yearly mileage.  But after having a bad ultra in 2011 my yearly miles dropped down to 500-600.  Last year I decided to do 1000 and ended up doing 1185, my highest ever total.  This catapulted me into doing a couple of ultras this year and I have just checked and will be hitting last years total by the end of this month.  I won't keep this up - I want to gain speed now - but I expect to average 20mpw to the end of the year.  I can definitely that having the 1000 mile target rekindled my running enjoyment.
  • Wotcha peeps!

Urrgghhh - JR, the mini Linda Blair vomiting everywhere sounds awful... hope all is well again soon! Your early morning 5K sounds idyllic though :) I'm planning to get a lift in to work and then do a point-to-point and run home from work. I figured it'll be Friday - so if I'm totally knackered I've got the weekend to recover.

Hi Popular Side (henceforth PS... sorry - I'm a lazy typist!). Nice to have another spreadsheet fan on here - there are a few of us about :smiley: Feel free to keep us up to date with your current total "Year To Date"... sounds like you might be able to give Harmander a run for his money in the distance stakes!

I did a very, very, very hot track session (and not in a good way) this lunchtime - decided to do a repeat of fast full lap (0.37 mi.) followed by half a lap recovery x5 that I did the other week. Totalled 4.36 miles - and made very grateful use of the excellent shower facilities at work... although, even after a couple of years running at lunchtimes, I still have an "OMG I'm naked at work" moment each time - LOL :lol:

YTD: 702.21 miles.

• Well done on your rejuvenation PS, depending on your current total, you could be in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place right now.
    Steady on Little Nell - Yesterday was my Court sitting day so no running. I did 8.87 miles in the morning on the flat and another 6.09 on hills in the evening. Total of 14.96 miles for the day. Makes
    YTD = 1626.73 miles
    That is 75.48 miles behind you (less than three marathons).
    Think I will revert to hills after the Ultra on 29th July - to be stronger for the pacing and the dozen or so marathons before the end of the year
  • My 14.96 total for the day was today.
    Just Run, if I ran to and from work I won't get very far - I work from home. lol
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Rugby pre-season training is underway for my daughter so its back to the rugby club loop on Wednesdays. Its like a road version of a fell run, what goes up must come down! Despite the very muggy conditions I set off a little too enthusiastically but decided to hang in there as the legs felt pretty good. I walked up the steepest climb as its ridiculously hard and doesn't gain much time trying to run it. Although I had to lean into the hedge for a couple of tractors (not so much the few seconds of time as the effort to get going again) I even managed to set a pb at 42:30, i've been waiting quite some time to go under 43 minutes so very pleased. There's clearly still improvement in me so thats given me a bit of a boost. A very short warm up rounded up the evenings work to 5 miles (4.8m loop).

July - 36.4

2017 - 489.76
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    4.2 this morning, felt better than yesterday.

504 YTD
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    496.6 miles

Almost half way!
  • Well done AndrewD on getting over the half way mark.
    Donnie2 - just a bit over a Parkrun to go.
    I have gone back to my harder course as I build myself up for the Autumn races and just gently tested myself over 16.27 miles (want catch up with Little Nell asap) so my
    YTD = 1643.00 miles.
    I make that 59.21 miles to catch up.
  • Evenin' all!

JR - I love that your daughter does rugby, good for her! And very good for you too, on breaking the 43 mins for your "loop" :) 500 miles is in sight...

Woo hoo, Andrew... there goes that 500 mile barrier - well done! :smiley:

So close, Donnie - just 3.4 miles to go. So that's Donnie, Andrew and JR neck and neck and neck... can't wait to see the sprint finish at the end of the year... LOL!

Nice going, Harmander - not long now I see... although I nearly matched you today, you only gained 0.8 mi. on me.

I did my first run commute point-to-point from work to home this evening: 16.19 miles. Made it OK but stood on the sharpest stone imaginable at about 9 miles so the ball of my left foot is killing me. Just had a shower and hadn't noticed that my 11.5 lbs back pack has chewed up my back so it's covered in open sores - was screaming with pain... not nice but need the hot water to help relax and recover as I had also developed the "white zombie fingers of death" (Raynaud's Syndrome) - so summer is officially over - booo!!! :( 

YTD: 718.40 miles.

• Yes. totally agree with Little Nell - well done to all over the half way mark - the competition among you will help you complete the downhill bit quicker.
    Little Nell, 0.8? I make it 0.08 miles (16.27 - 16.19) - but 0.08 is better than nothing. 
    As I am only doing a Parkrun tomorrow, I would have fallen below the 56 miles for the week by 2 miles - so I ran 8.86 today making
    YTD = 1651.86 miles
    66.54 miles behind you - and I have an Ultra planned for 29 July.
  • You are, indeed, correct Harmander... I missed out a zero when I typed :smile: but it's a moot point since you've added another 8.86 miles today anyway!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Managed another 5 miles yesterday, so up to 509. Weather looks awful for the weekend, so not sure if I'll add any more miles until next week.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Little Nell I love the fact my daughter plays rugby, she's a flying winger and an absolute try machine. She is sports mad and has also just been accepted into Exeter City's U16s for next season with football. She doesn't like running (yet) although she has run around 15 park runs and did win all her races on sports day at school. There are no prizes for guessing what she wants to do in life.......PE teacher!

A lovely 5k loop for me this morning. Ran along the canal before dropping down into my village for the last half mile.

July - 39.5

2017 - 492.86

• Today is day 203 of the year and I did my shortest run - only a Parkrun making my 
    YTD = 1654.97 miles.
    This averages at 8.15 miles a day