The Middle Ground

Comments

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    DT19 40:38 (May 17).

10k is not a distance I run often as an A race. Because of our busy race schedule I only peak for 1-2 races a year so my 10K pb has always been one of the softer ones (versus 19:14 for 5k). Again this is not a target race, but I will have a go and see what happens.

Heat will definitely bring up the HR. 10 miles at lunchtime though?!? How long do you have for lunch?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I generally expect if my 5k is sub 19.30, I should be able to go sub 40 at 10k.

I have an arrangement with work whereby twice (sometimes three) a week I take a 90 minute to get training done. Today I have a spin class 1-2 at the gym so with travel time and shower, that'll be about 90 minutes.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Had an interesting few days. After my good intervals on Friday night I was feeling good. Had a good game of cricket on Saturday and went to bed feeling fine, but woke up Sunday morning to my knee being completely stiff, unable to bear weight or fully straighten it! This eased through Sunday but was still quite bad when I went to bed.

By Monday the knee had now largely loosened off, to be replaced with a calf strain in the same leg. I suspect the injuries are connected in the sense of one being the result of over compensating for the other.

Anyway calf feels better today so I just squeezed in a short 3 miler this morning. Going to keep a sensible eye on it all for the next few days though.
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Nice DT19... Always good to have some flexibility.

Yes I would agree, but the 5k is both a distance I love and something I run fairly regularly, whereas I do 2-3 10ks a year, always in road race season when I have a race every 5 days or so...

AndrewD ouch! Cricket is bad for you ;)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I tend to underperform the shorter the distance gets.

Yes the arrangement suits as I tend to train 2 lunchtimes, 2 evenings and twice on weekends.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Well I am very poor at the really short:
    100m pb - 16 secs
    200m pb  - 34 secs
    400m pb - 72 secs

So I am basically running the same time doubled +2 secs as I go up the distances. I've never run a raced 800m, but it would be interesting to see.

When I was genetic tested at london marathon, it turns out that I am all endurance - I could have told them that based on the above!

I have a 3000m coming up in August - I usually just end up running my 5k pace for less distance...
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    How can you get genetically tested for endurance? What's the "marker"?

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    The test is for ACTN3 and my result was XX

(I didnt pay for this test by the way - cant see how it is useful information for anyone except someone wanting to be an elite sprinter, but the result did not surprise me).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I have the same issue, Curly. I routinely match my 5k times in 10ks and 10k times in halfs. I was reading a McMillan article on this last week and it all made sense to me except the statement that 'speedsters' (bias to shorter distances) are usually those that that were very fast sprinters from other sports and school days. I was always that in school and playing footy, even into my 30s I was usually one of the quickest on the pitch.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Morning!

A good 5K time requires so much concentration and motivation. It's so easy to slip back into 10K pace without realising it.

10.8 miles of run commuting yesterday and then back on the bike today. Keeping it easy in the hope that I'll have some legs for parkrun... but doubtful seeing as that's now 19 straight days of training. Hoping to do 18 on Sunday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I had a surprisingly decent run last night which I needed following my last 10k outing. 5 mile long tempo run came out 6.35 average, which I just a tad slower than I managed in my recent 10k. I did question as to whether I worked too hard but it felt right and my HR and garmin training effect were if anything at the lower end of the scale for that type of run.

I also purchased yesterday the new vaporfly 4% shoe that was released. Cost me £200 so better be good!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    parkrun today, 19.05 so 6 seconds off pb. I think had I ran my local course where last 800 is flat downhill I would have got a pb. I want to Canon Hill which finishes in the complete opposite. Pleased to get clear confirmation I'm still in decent shape. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done DT!

Think I'm the opposite of you and Curly- I never get close to matching my 5k performance when I do a 10k, but when I do a shorter time trial I easily perform better than my 5k time indicates I should. Could be a short distance physical bias, or just a lack of mileage to allow for a full performance at 10k.

Ran 4 easy on Thursday and 5 easy yesterday- calf feels ok. Rest day tomorrow, just as well given the weather!
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Well done DT19! Great run after that tempo as well.

What are these new shoes? I am still in my usual zero drop, light as possible. Not into the moonboots that seem to be the rage at the moment. You know you've been running too long when you have seen two cycles of minimalist versus cushioning...

That sounds promising AndrewD.

Tring parkrun for me today as we needed to visit a friend in Berkhampstead to collect some wine so got him to run too. We all took it very easy (course is wonderful but challenging), its amazing when slower than 26 minutes gives you a 5th and 1st in age cat ;) Little sprint shows legs feeling good, but I do have an ongoing nerve niggle that I will have to watch on the road tomorrow.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow, Curly.

I may have faired a little better today had I not done that tempo Thursday evening. On mcmillan,  today's time gives me an LT pace of 6.35, which I know isn't my lt as I did 5 miles at that pace Thursday night without too much stress. 

They are the commercial version of the trainers that the athletes ran in, in the breaking 2 experiment. 

20 again tomorrow to complete my two for July. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Presume you mean 5th lady Curly, not 5th overall (as that would be a slow set of results!)? Hope the 10k went well today.

Good luck with the 20 DT.

Dan - did you do parkrun in the end? Good luck with the 18 too.

What a difference a week makes - this time last week I couldn't even put any weight on my right leg or straighten my knee at all, this week I've just churned out a 6 miler at bang on 9m/m pace and it all felt very easy. Rescued 18 miles from this week in the end (all easy paced, but better than I hoped this time last week). Strange things our bodies.
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    AndrewD of course, 51st overall ;)

Great news about the knee recovery and the run.

DT I never run long runs in the summer - the most I will do is about 14-16. Good work - hopefully the slightly cooler weather will make it easier.

I see on fb that Dr. Dan had a very good long run today...

Elmbridge 10k for me today.

No sub 40, but I was feeling pretty ill on the start line (stomach issues), so very pleased to come away with a smidge of a pb of 3 seconds, time 40:35.

The K markers were all over the place and as I manually lap this can cause me problems mentally, but I am really pleased that I didnt panic with the first K a 4:08 and the 6th one at 4:40 :o

Thats my 10k season done, got a few more short races and then its all XC and longer stuff. About 80% complete on my goals, but not the really stretching stuff, so need to have a chat with my coach what else we can do to bring everything together over the next 8 weeks or so...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Curly, it's my first and possibly only time. It is only because it's the inaugural birmingham Mara.

well done on the pb, you only need a very slight gain in fitness and to hit start line in full health to go sub 40.

Run went well despite the sun comming out at about 11 miles. Average pace 7.55. Started slow and progressed pace. Every mile after 8 began with a 7. 
  • Great news on the PB <b>Curly! </b>It's a long time since I ran 10K at that pace!

<b>DT</b> - good effort!

<b>Andrew </b>- great news on the recovery!

parkrun was a relatively easy 21:30 due to a very wet course and an event in the park forcing a longer than usual route. Today was 18 at 8:18/mi early this morning... felt good at only 129 bpm/ 71%maxHR, and 5s/mi faster than last week's 16. Happy with that with 11 weeks still to go.
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Thats an amazing run Dr. Dan - what's the target for Chester?
  • Well after a 3:30:14 just before we last met outside the The Red Lion, the target has to be 15 seconds faster this time!
  • Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    I think you can go quicker...especially if you are running 20 miles at 8:18 at that sort of heart rate.

But I do understand. Target number 1 for me next April is 3:14:59 ;)

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Well done on the pb Curly!

Dan - really good long run! Sure you'll hit your targets come raceday.

DT - good progressive run. Always feels great finishing a run getting quicker and feeling strong doesn't it?

Well, after yesterday's 6 feeling so good, tonight's 4 felt like running through treacle! Oh well, put that one behind me and on to a tempo run tomorrow night before a rest day on Wednesday. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I normally run on my own, but on sunday a friend of same ability was also doing 20 so he came to mine and joined me. It makes the last 5 miles so much easier!

The randomness of the human body, Andrew.

I did a very light spin class last night having completed 3 decent run sessions in the previous 4 days. Planning a mid week long run tonight of 10 or so.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    DT19 that is some good work on a mid week long of 10 miles.

Company really does help - I am lucky that I often get to do my long runs with OH, our training paces are not quite the same at the moment though so we are not sure if it will work this autumn/winter.

Andrew onwards and upwards

Woken up full of cold, which is annoying as I am coaching tonight and it is short reps. I will take it easy as dont want to miss Friday's race.

Did manage strength work, 1:15 of ballet and 6.4 mile run yesterday though.

Started my next level coaching course, which is mostly online, so spending today learning about classification hierarchies of types of activities for different endurance events.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Curly - I have had plenty of good training runs in the past and over 8 marathons I have learned not to count any chickens! 3:29:59 will do me just fine! :)

Andrew - those tough runs just mean that you worked hard enough on the previous training session. Onwards and upwards!

DT - agree! I did a 20 with a club-mate in the VLM build-up and it went by so much more easily. He ended up 14 seconds behind me in the race itself and I didn't see him until the finishing funnel at the end!

Yesterday was just bike commuting ... today was 5.7 mile bike into work (very early!) and then straight out for a 10.6 mile MP run at 7:51 min/mile and 73.5% maxHR. I am pretty much at the level I was just before VLM over that range.

Cut-back week this week. I've now done 23 days continuous training with a minimum of either a 5 mile run or 10 mile bike ... in fact I've trained like that for 35 days in the last 37, only missing the days I travelled to/from Dublin by car/ferry). So, I will take advantage of tomorrow's annual leave day (and rain) to have a break. I'll cycle commute Thurs and rest again on Friday as I am working in Leicester ... that should set me up nicely for a hard parkrun attempt on Saturday morning. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Some decent running going on! But not here...

Physio report: a particularly useful, interesting, session with someone that I hadn't seen before, but comes highly recommended. And a runner, which helps! And I got to run for 5 minutes, and pain free at that, although there is a slight catch as it was on a gravitational treadmill, so the bottom half of the body is sealed into an air chamber and I was able to run at 70% gravity, then 80%, without issue. All sounds quite weird...but it was even stranger than that! To continue with the Alfredson's protocol exercises, with slight modifications, plus general stretching and as much gym work as I can manage. Progress...just hope there are no set backs! No real after affects from yesterday's shock wave treatment either. Two links: one to the shock wave, and the second is a surprisingly good article in RW about Alfredson.

http://www.shockwave-therapy.co.uk/

<a href="http://" title="Link: http://">http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/eccentric-calf-strengthening-achilles-tendinopathy-five-years-later</a>

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Sounds like some very different treatment Alehouse - at least you know you are getting advice and treatment from the best!

Another terrible run last night. Plan was 2 warm up, 2 at tempo (7:15m/m) and a mile warm down all as one continuous run. Warm up felt sluggish but not too bad, but within about 200m into the tempo section I knew it didn't feel right. Legs had nothing in them, and I felt hot and quite light headed. By 0.5 miles in I was really struggling to keep 7:30 pace, let alone 7:15, so decided to call it a day after 0.6 miles. 

Stopped and walked for a good 5 minutes before jogging home to finish at 3 miles for the whole session. 

I've only ever once before had to actually stop during a run due to feeling bad, so not too happy about it today. Still feel quite hot and not 100% today, so suspect it may be some kind of virus lurking. Having a rest today and will reassess tomorrow before deciding what to do about tomorrow's run.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Alehouse, looks very interesting. I hope you get things sorted soon.

Andrew,vyes you may well be low level viral. Often we have these things that if we didn't train we would be none the wiser .

10 miles easy yesterday then 7 with 5 at mp at lunchtime. I wore my new vaporfly trainers. Took a bit of getting used too but run came in 6.43 for hr of 159. Statistically my best mp run ever. Comparing that run to Junes similar efforts, I'm 10 seconds per mile fitter right now. 

Almost a shame to be going on holiday next week for two weeks!
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Alehouse ... well that's different! Good luck!

Andrew - eat & rest and you'll be fine in a couple of days!

DT - your new shoes are magic and will protect you from loss of fitness while on holiday!

As mentioned above, no training yesterday or tomorrow and just bike commuting today.