Anyone risking predictions? I ain't gonna be quick

Solo

Stickleback (Mrs Paperman)  194
    Meldy                    221
    Road to nowhere   236
    Simo429                413
    Flat Footed            687
    Cheggers              811
    Gambatt3             1080                            (15:30-16:00) So long as it's under 17:00!

relay teams:
    Golden Girls          25
    pirate team 42     44
    Podd's Little Knockers  46
    The Ironhens         57  
  • Solo
    Road to nowhere   236
    Simo429                413
    Flat Footed            687
    Gambatt3             1080                            (15:30-16:00) So long as it's under 17:00!

relay teams:
    Golden Girls          25
    pirate team 42     44
    The Ironhens         57 
    FAT Pirates            20    
  • Solo
    Road to nowhere   236
    Simo429               413
    Flat Footed           687
    Gambatt3            1080                            (15:30-16:00) So long as it's under 17:00!

relay teams:
    Golden Girls          25
    pirate team 42      44
    R2L/PSOF              49
    The Ironhens         57 

• At least it's not too windy
  • To be fair Symes, we've had a hot, dry, windy race this year, only fair we have a cooler, soaking wet one.
  • Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    Its getting worse and worse but I would rather be wet on the run than on the bike
  • Now lightning forecast for middle of day!!...physics not exactly my strong point but I believe still being on the bike at that point may be a tad protective....deffo my excuse for going so slowly anyway...
  • as long as there aren't any hills with right hand bends at the bottom I'll be ok
  • Solo
    Road to nowhere   236
    Simo429               413
    Flat Footed           687
    Gambatt3            1080                            (15:30-16:00) So long as it's under 17:00!

relay teams:
    Golden Girls          25
    pirate team 42      44
    R2L/PSOF              49
    The Ironhens         57  
    Rumalumadongadingdong   48
  • no race reports yet?
    What has happened to the pirates, it used to be a race to see who could get their reports up first, slackers the lot of you

• :) still struggling to wake up at work after a late finish- great weeekend

• Race report, by A. Knackered-Pirate

I rode my bike. It hurt. It was slower than last year and I realised Brutal is a stupid idea this year so I've withdrawn.

Undies run however, well, that was something amazing. There was a slight drizzle so as the participants de-robed to reveal their stunning outfits, the drops of rain could be seen slipping over the curves of their moist chests and down their cleavage. And that was just me and Flat Footed.
  • mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    well done for getting the first report in puffy!

I ran, it hurt, just as slow as last year when I should have been quicker as I had trained better and my times have been coming down, but it is what it is on the day, conditions are different, I had a weird pain in my shoulders from about 6 miles in which was agony by the time I got to the end. Hi-fiving you all as I went past the finish chute was so painful! But so great to get the support from you all I couldn't not do it! So fab to see JP and Lumpty walk out in the dark to meet me with cake (the pirate not actual cake) I was only about 500m away from the finish when a voice from the darkness said 'who is that pirate?'. Finish line was fab. Cake and citizen told me all about the posh food in the food tent, took me there, I sat with evil pixie who promptly puked up her posh food! The hazelnut and choc cake was just what I needed shame I didn't manage to eat the salmon pasta! Finding the car in the pissing rain in the dark afterwards was horrendous even with a torch. 

Brilliant to see supercaz there having completed her swim - so proud of you!

didn't think I would be last pirate on the course but it was a fab finish, only trouble is I didn't get chance to catch up with you all!

Thanks to the pop up pirates around the run course, it makes such a difference - who was the pirate with the brolly up near the end of the lake? Sorry if I was a miserable sod when I went past you, and thank you for being so positive :smiley:
  • cougie and his wife usually position themselves at the far end of the lake.

I had a great weekend.i managed to get the bike done and get very drunk

• My son asked me about pirates getting drunk and your name got mentioned - I categorically said you were just enjoying the atmosphere and couldn't possibly get drunk on such a long day as this!! 

My Race Report
    Stepped in at the last minute, and having done a trail marathon a week ago hoped I'd get round for the team, but was nervous about starting a marathon after feed station duties ... didn't quite manage the little sleep I'd planned around lunchtime ... 
    Quick hug from Little Sister and then set off around 3 o'clock, ... with "I am a machine" mantra, which after about 10 miles became "ok, so its an old banger of a machine, but I'm still a machine, more of a solid old Volvo ... that type of a machine."
    Heading for the second long lap, "I think I'm machine, I was one, a machine doesn't stop being a machine, ... well just keep going until you think of a better mantra"
    During the second long lap I decided I needed a run / walk plan, but spent at least three miles trying to work one out, which meant I kept running in the meantime. Eventually the plan was to run past three competitors, then walk, then start running when I meet the fourth. That got me back to the lake, and after that it was run to a sign, walk to a sign, run to a sign, well ... run a bit, walk a bit. My knee started giving way then, so I walked the rest of the third lap of the lake, but when I met with Tall Yorkie (my son, now inspired so much he's got himself a forum name and so is now a 'real' pirate) and Little Sister, I got a big power up from them, and managed to run quite a bit of the final lap. The finish was just ace - and many, many thanks to Little Sister in getting me a T-shirt after I'd given up waiting in favour of a warm and a feed - I love it!
    In short, the whole weekend was just wonderful ... I love Outlaw, and I love the pirates, as does Tall Yorkie now, too!
    Here's to meeting you all again, shipmates  :)

• A great day. BBC need to spend a little less on presenters and a little more on weather forcsting. The stress of watching there app !!
    Anyway, can anyone explain why your tri suit has to be done up ? Only comes down 8". Told to do it up ??
  • Agree re weather. Didnt bother with sun cream as I was expecting imminent rain; after all, it had started spitting out on the bike. My first full distance, my first outlaw, can't wait to do it again. Atmosphere was incredible so thanks to all of you on the sidelines supporting, and special thanks must go to the little boy manning the hosepipe dutifully on the hill by the lake. Total superstar...Stopped me truly cooking on a gloriously sunny day. Next year I'm taking a bloody camelbak to the briefing though....had a truly shocking headache after just an hour in that marquee and spent rest of day furiously rehydrating so as not to bugger it all up before I'd started. Apologies to the running pirate I greeted with "ooooh arrrr"; always get Bristolians mixed up with pirates somehow....
  • A great day. BBC need to spend a little less on presenters and a little more on weather forcsting. The stress of watching there app !!
    Anyway, can anyone explain why your tri suit has to be done up ? Only comes down 8". Told to do it up ??
    Think that it is in the rules, if a front fastening trisuit then has to done up, that's why loads have full fronts and rear zips now

• As FB is not here ....

Rule 15.7(b). Zipper can be undone to the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum) during the competition, with the exception of the last 200 meters of the run, when it needs to be zipped up

• Another good event, and the Pirates were out in force.  Very well organised, superb support and fortunately the weather was kind on the day.
    Was nice meeting Stickleback in Transition tent before the swim, but then everything became a blur, but smiled/said hello as we passed in opposite directions along the towpath.
    Hope you all had a great time.  Might go back next year to volunteer/marshal.  My body is feeling a tad battered but I'm sure I'll feel loads better tomorrow.  :) 
  • Rafiki said:
    As FB is not here ....

Rule 15.7(b). Zipper can be undone to the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum) during the competition, with the exception of the last 200 meters of the run, when it needs to be zipped up

Anyone know this "Rafiki" is, I used to know someone but that was when he turned up to races....................
  • Here is my report, I actually wrote it for my coaches facebook group so some of it may not be relevant but I don't have time to edit it.

Warning this race report may be as long as my race.

I don’t usually do race reports but this one has some lessons to be shared in both perseverance and learning at least a few basic bike mechanic skills.
    I am lucky that I have spent half my life working as a motor mechanic and without it my race would have been over in an instant. I could deal with pulling the plug but I was part of a relay team which adds another level of commitment.
    First of though a big shout out to coach Kristian Manietta for all the work he has done with us both through the Facebook group and through the Fatblack podcast series and my fellow relay team member and fellow Pirate Graeme Monteith , if you hadn’t swam so fast I may not have had the time to make it. Have a great race in Whistler buddy. Looking forward to racing with you again soon.
    I know this is starting to sound like an Oscars acceptance speech but then I do have a slight drama queen tendency.  :) One more shout out must go to Lesley Paterson and Simon Marshall for their inspirational book.
    So the race was the Outlaw 140.6 and I was the bike for a team, including our own Graeme Montieth.
    The first 100’ish Km were fairly uneventful. Everything was going well and I was on top of my hydration and nutrition. Then disaster struck with a crunch and a clank my drive chain locked up. I looked round and the rear mech was in a bad way. The hanger had bent and thrown it into the wheel. The first thing that went through my head was “Calm The Fuck Down and Rise To The Occasion”. After 15 minutes of a mixture of deep breathing and fiddling with a bike tool I had turned the bike into a single speed. I limped along like this for a while but every now and again the chain would ride up the cassette and force the drive chain to lock up. The only way to deal with it was use the chain splitter tool and break the chain then reposition it on the next gear down the cassette and put the chain back together. It was frustrating and excruciating in equal measure. I limped on for about 15 km like this until I was sat at the side of the road affecting yet another repair when the bike course director pulled up and asked me if I wanted to withdraw. It was an easy call to make, an emphatic no unless I had missed the cut off? I had passed the intermediate cut off point and was 50 km from T2 with 3 hrs left on the clock. Again I was thanking Graeme for the quick swim. From this point I made it to the 10 km point without having to repair the chain again. It was tough going I was stuck in 39/13 and the hills where frazzling my legs but I was moving and still within cut off. Dory from finding Nemo sprang to mind. I have to say that not a single athlete went past me without offering to help me in some way, thanks guys you rock especially as you were also up against the cut off. 10 km out with 40 minutes to go and the chain just snapped. I must admit that I cried a little at that point then got back on with the job, I still had time... Calm the fuck down time! Luckily I had kept the pieces of the chain I had taken out during the initial incident and used them to repair the chain again. I don’t remember how many more times I had to fix it in the last 10 km but when within a couple of Km of T2 the chains finally gave up its last. It had been repaired so many times it was knackers every time tried to peddle it just snapped. 20 minutes to cut off. Right if it’s good enough for Chris Froome its good enough for me. I ran with the bike for the last 2km and made transition with 7 minutes on the clock. As I rounded the corner there was a huge crowd of my fellow Pirates stood up on the embankment cheering me in. The only time I have ever felt that much relief and joy was at the birth of my children.
    Biggest lesson is that if you can keep moving forward do so until they sweep you up. You never know you just might make it. Also learn the basics of bike mechanics it’s not that hard and it really may save your race.
    As a team we finished the race in around 13 hrs, not the 9 something we had hoped for but the meddle I have from it is the one that means the most to me.
    Thanks for reading. xxx