Hamstring advice

Hi

I was doing a few sprints on wednesday night and felt the dreaded sharp pain in one hamstring so I stopped and walked home slowly. Sadly my regular physio is away for a couple of weeks and I was not impressed by the other one near me so I cant see a professional for a litle while.

Since the injury I have iced it a couple of times yesterday and today.

Yesterday my walking was a little off, but today its pretty much back to normal and minimal soreness. Though if I bend forward seated I feel it a little (but not pain). I have no brusing at all.

What it best until I can see a physio? My plan is to totally rest for another few days, then do some gentle curls each day against a yellow theraband to try and start it working again, I will stop if any pain of course.

Does anybody have any advice they can offer? would it be okay to jog in a week if no discomfort with simple exercises?

I dont want to make it worse, but hate the thought of losing fitness that I have built up this year.

Thanks

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I think it'll be fine to gently jog in a week but stop if it's sore and give it a bit longer.
  • Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I have been suffering from a hamstring injury on and off for over a year. I first had it for a few weeks over 2 years ago but it cleared up and I didn't have any trouble for a while. However, it's come back and it doesn't want to heal. I've been to physio and they told my I had misfiring glutes and knots on my hamstring. I had treatment and then I trained  again for a few months but yet again it has come back. I had treatment last week to get the knots out again. Does anyone know how many treatments you need to get the knots out or have any general advise to get me running pain free again. I ran on the track 3 days a week and I started doing road hills when the injury came back worse than before? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Courtney - your physio should have given you a rehab plan with lots of exercises to do to strengthen your glutes and hamstrings.  A bit of treatment and then you do nothing will not cure the problem if you don't deal with the cause.

No track and no hills until pain free. Training on the flat is fine but no speedwork.
  • Thanks, I'm doing exercises and stretches twice a day so I hope the knots won't come back when I get back into running. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, your post made it sound like the only treatment was at the physios.
  • CrazeeTCrazeeT ✭✭✭
    Inrecently had a groin strain, and my sports masseuse said that my hamstrings where in a terrible way ! She said calves were almost fine but hamstrings were incredibly tight and knotted. She then worked her magic as gently as she could building it up slowly, a few places I felt like I'd been stabbed in the back of my legs, anyways next daybi was very very tender but have done light stretches and will continue to for a while. Mine was also brought on by stupidly competing against others when sprinting. Knots are caused by hard work. Some of us are prone. That said if you continue stretching as a regular thing you should get very little. If you can afford it though a sports massage every so often is well worth it. Good luck.
  • I had the exact same issue a couple of weeks ago. I did some sprint interval training with a friend of mine but hopefully I stopped before the pain got too strong. I am pretty sure I did not tear anything since I could not see any swelling, however, the hamstring was troublesome even after some time off. I went to see a sport massage clinic, and all my hamstring needed was to remove the tightness in there. So I would suggest that you go a visit your physio and assess the injury. You may only need some help for the hamstring to get back to normal. For me it did the trick, two days after the massage, I could not feel the pain or tightness.
  • >> ✭✭✭
    Hamstring injuries are very common in faster paced work - particularly with sprints.

If you have hamstring problems then it depends where in the hamstring is injured.

A muscle strain, typically in the middle, heals quicker than an tendon injury where the muscles is attached which can take a long time to recover.

To have a very good warm up, with dynamic work is a must for sprints. If you have ongoing hamstring problems a slow build up avoiding very fast stuff is helpful.

Sometimes hamstring problems are a result of poor glute activation. Some exercises can be helpful to get them firing well.

HTH x