Sub 3h15

Comments

• PMJ - there's always a touch of hyperbole when it comes to naming ultras, but I guess that a. it's an ultra and b. it's on Arran. At least they haven't called it the "Ultra Tour of the whole of Arran" ;)

Great half from you there Madbark - sounds like OO is challenging you to a smackdown somewhere!

Go easy if you feel a niggle coming along G-Dawg (says the man who steadfastly refuses to heed his own words) - my Salomon 5L pack has arrived but I'm away this weekend so might have to leave it a few days until I give it a trial. I'm still a bit concerned about whether there's enough space in there for what ultra organisers generally say is mandatory kit (e.g. jacket, over trousers, food, first aid kit etc) and it's a bit odd that there no zip on the main compartment. Was it raining when you took it out and if so, did your stuff stay dry?

Agree with your assessment GD but the average was still under 3:00 so good stuff.

On a positive front, I've got myself sorted out on the work front with a new job (subject to agreeing the contract) in the charity sector - very good news. Scheduled start date of end September so I'll have a few more weeks off post-summer holiday in the States.

At the moment, I'm looking at the possibility of flying to Barra (in the southern part of the Outer Hebrides) and then running up to Stornoway (in the north) - I reckon it's about 130 miles and the aim would be to do it in 3 and a half days.

Why the Outer Hebrides? Because I've heard / read that it's stunningly beautiful and I fancy going there but can't convince Mrs L that it won't rain all the time so mid September is an ideal time as she'll be back at work. Has anyone been to that part of the UK?

GM - on the subject of short trips, we (me, Mrs L and elder Lorenzito) also tentatively thinking of hopping on a ferry next week and heading over with our bikes to Guernsey for a night and then onto Jersey. Am I right in thinking that it's about 20 miles all the way round Guernsey and 35 miles round Jersey? If so, then I suspect that I'll be doing some running as well. Which part of Jersey do you live in?

4.5 easy miles yesterday morning, 17.5 on the bike this morning and the weekly trail run with the club to look forward to this evening. :)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    PMJ sounds like a challenge from your wife ,nothing motivates us like being told we are too old for it !
    GUl nice reps .
    0054 nice 1/2 time,sure you can go quicker though !
    Lorenzo great news on the job front .

just walking the last 3 days  and the sacked club session tonight before work, physio appointment booked next week but timber starting to pile on this last couple of weeks so need to keep it under control ! 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - great news on the job! Enjoy the running between now and then.

A while back I watched a video on packing for an Ultra event. I was amazed at how the guy got all the stuff into such a small backpack. I've just watched it again, if we both have the Salomon ADV 5 then we'll be OK for capacity as the guy has the same backpack, although it does say the smaller 3 litre version.
    I've worn mine twice now, both 16 milers, and have been very impressed at how comfortable it is. It will be interesting to see what it's like fully packed.
    Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URBDZC6C1vM

Did the longer run commute last night, 10 miles. It was warm and I had my cheaper backpack on which is adequate for the job. A good run with a 7.18 average. Final 2 miles were tough as the first 4 miles are very hilly and training fatigue crept in.

After 4 consecutive days and 37 miles, it's a rest day today.  B)

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - what did your rep session consist of?
    Lorenzo - pleased you've found the sort of job you were looking for. Hope you find it satisfying. I've never been to any of the Scottish Isles, but would love to visit the west coast and the isles. It does look amazing.
    Leslie - hope the physio can sort you out next week.
    GD - I will get round to buying a running backpack one of these days, so I'll keep the salomon ADV 5 in mind, thanks. Enjoy your well-earned rest day.
    6 mile recovery run d&d this morning.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice reps Gul
    Excellent job news Lorenzo - congratulations. Not been to the western isles but done lots of west coast Munros. One of the most beautiful parts of the UK.

As for ultra packing, the rule is as little as poss while being aware than a lightweight wind or waterproof, or a compass, or a pair of gloves, or head torch batteries etc etc can be the difference between finish and dnf.

OO legs good, run up the beach to Beadnell on Mon and down to Craster y'day; Sunday was a wake up call for lost fitness after a month of eating or living in a tent since rinsing myself on the bike. Going to get fit again starting this week. See you in Hull ;) 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    On ultra packs, look for compression straps or bungees so it doesn't flap about when not full - e.g. when wearing the spare clothing or when the water bladder is not full. Inov8 kit is worth a look.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Glad to hear you feel motivated Poacher.

Gul the session was 4*1km at 3:40 pace. I also ran 5 easy in the morning so 11.5 miles yesterday. Decided to rest again today then 8 easy tomorrow. Considering a 5k race on Friday with Junior, then parkrun, then 15 Sunday. Should scrape mid 40's.

So pleased you got a job  Lorenzo. I'm thinking what to do when I retire next year and the charity sector might be an option.  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Well done on your half, outstanding performance. 

Leslie - Well done too.  I Saw you are going to see the physio. What's up? Hope you get it sorted soon.

Lorenzo - Congrats on the job front and it's nice that you get a bit of time off too before you start. Ooh, so you might be heading over this way? Guernsey is approx 27 sq miles and Jersey is approx 45 sq miles. When are you planning on coming? The Jersey Ultra is next Saturday which takes in some road, beach and cliff paths and is about 48 miles. It's a fab event and there are usually some very quick runners that come over it. Quite a few of my running pals are doing it. I'm hoping to get down to the finish to see the 1st runners come in and may hang around there for a few hours. I live on the outskirts of St Helier. Please do let me know if you get a booking sorted. It would be great to meet you.

Poacher - Great to hear your going to be doing a bit more running. 

Gul - Good reps. Those sessions get easier the more regular you do them but you seem to have quite a bit of natural speed. Are you able to get to parkrun this weekend?

G-Dawg - Nice mileage. You're knocking out some quick MLR's. 

I've been ticking over nicely here and doing a few 60-70 min runs most days. My mother is here on holiday, so it's great to be able to get out early in the morning while my son and her are still in bed. Hoping to get my first 20 miler in of the year this weekend. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Inov8 - noted, thanks. I think Lorenzo mentioned one of their backpacks before.
    OO - tidy pace for 1km reps.
    GM - hope you can fit in your 20 miler this weekend. I've got a new gardening project starting on Saturday, so no parkrun yet again.
    Thought I would sneak in a long run this morning and did 17 miles. 9@ 8:11 and 8@7:45.
  • Gul - yes, I've got an 12L Innov8 pack which I use for commuting runs (i.e. taking a laptop, documents, change of clothing) as well as for Ultras. I've been very happy with it. I think I'll use it for my Outer Hebrides run.

G-Dawg - just watched the video; very useful indeed and has convinced me that I should definitely be able to get everything in a 5L capacity vest for a day long Ultra.

GM - would have loved to come over next week but suspect that the logistics won't work in our favour - as much as anything it's the length of time the ferry takes!!! Looks like it'll be a cycling trip in the Dales and a trip to the in-laws!

Pleasant 7.5 mile trail run with the club on Tuesday evening and then on the bike yesterday morning (recovery ride) and this morning (up Box Hill). Heading off this afternoon for a long weekend (Fri-Mon) with a mate, canoeing from Hay on Wye down to Monmouth so no plans for any running for a few days.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hey everybody!
    hope all is well and that you are having splendid a summer.

It's been crazy hectic with work, training, travel here but have tried to catch up with events on the thread.

Well done on Vatternrundan Poacher. Quite an achievement as a novice cyclist! What's next on two wheels for you? Tour du Mont Blanc was epic  ;)

BB - fantastic, fantastic work! What an achievement!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Apologies - I'm sure I've missed loads of other epic achievements 
    I will try to lurk more effectively in the future
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back SJ hope you found some time to train!
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Leslie – I hope all goes well with the physio

GD – Good 8 and 10 milers with a nippy averages

Poacher – Have fun getting fit again! I agree with the Inov8 recommendation for a back pack. I’ve had an ‘Elite 25’ for years, use it daily for work and think it’s fantastic.

OO – I might have faster times at marathon+ distances, but you are a much faster runner overall. You can run multiple mile intervals in faster than I have ever run a single mile! That’s an active weekend of running you have planned.

GM – Good running and I hope you enjoy the 20 miler

Gul – Good intervals and a nice sneaky long run!

Lorenzo – Good running and enjoy the canoeing! I’d image you’d be pretty good at this as it involves cycling, paddling and running - http://www.26extreme.com/productdetails/1448/ireland-coast-to-coast-multisport-race.aspx

SJ – Thanks and welcome back

During this morning’s 12 mile run I broke the 2000 mile barrier for the year. The run included 8 miles at MP effort which averaged around 6:30 pace, so well happy. I should go over 70 miles this week, as I increase my mileage towards 90+ for Chester.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

What is you mileage target this year BB. I'm currently approaching 1400 for the year and expect to land around 2300. Interestingly your normal training pace is much faster than mine. I rarely get below 8m/m on my solo runs.

Honestly don't know how your bod takes all that punishment.  

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    WFH today so was able to chalk off 6 tempo miles at 6.48 pace with a couple of 6.2x spits so show off  a bit.

Then got to Lord's for some T20 cricket where I had the privilege of being in the Pavilion for the night. Such a great experience, proper tradition in there.

Next up, 20 slow trailers on Saturday.  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - enjoy the canoeing. Is there still a catamaran which sails to Guernsey - quicker than the ferry! The Inov8 backpacks seem to be more competitively priced than Salomon's, but I haven't found any information on sizing. I think I'm only a 38" chest, so maybe a S/M might be large enough for me rather than a M/L?
    SJ - hi! Hope the training is still get a look in with all the work and travel.
    Badbark - cracking MP run. 2,000 miles before the end of July is impressive. Looks like being quite a light year mileage wise for me, with just 1149 so far.
    GD - highly privileged indeed! Those trailers might cause quite a tail back tomorrow ;) Tidy tempo run BTW.
    5 recovery miles this morning. Fortnight's holiday starts this evening. The garden is beckoning me for some XT.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    GD - My Salomon backpack is M/L and I'm a 40". Fit's perfectly. There is some play in the sizing due to the materials etc...

Enjoy the fortnight off.  B)
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Slokey welcome back sounds like you are busy.

Badbark cracking mileage ,about 1750 here so far .

0054 nice target for the year.

Gul enjoy the gardening.

nothing to report other than 2 mile walked !

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Quiet on here - must be holiday season!
    Just time to sneak in a quick tempo run this morning. 2 mile warm up in 16:09 and 7 miles in 47:16 (avg 6:45m/m). Can't avoid the gardening any more.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Cracking tempo Gul. My garden is a wilderness :(

Temple Park 5k produced 18:45 last night. Junior was 1 sec in front. Nowhere near as pacey as I was hoping but a decent progression (6:12, 6:01, 5:55 per mile). Then this mornings parkrun was 19:26 on tired legs. It was my 200th parkrun and good enough for 5th place.  

Just need to bag 16 tomorrow to scrape a 50 week. Weather not looking too promising.

Anyone racing this weekend?  

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice going, lads. Some sharp work going on there.

21 miler for me this morning. Mostly trails but with some tarmac along the A30 as we went to Viginia Water to run around the lake and back again. Only 8.30 pace but these sessions are great for time on feet fat burning fuel efficiency and core workout. I can feel myself getting stronger, my glute/hammy issues are miles better.

Legs are sore now but that's just strength going in, right?  :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hello all - I'm still lurking :) 

to those omitted - sorry - ;)  but just posting off the top of my head  . . . . .

Lorenzo - so pleased you landed a job in your preferred sector - best of luck !  nice 75% WAVA also, and super speedy by junior . . . .

Leslie - not too shabby in your half, carrying a dodgy hamstring - how is it?  and how's the "timber management" ?   

Badbark - 2,000 already - nice one - I'm on 830 (which actually doesn't sound too bad in light of my (running) travails this year )  

GDawg - fine 21 - don't think I'll ever enter one of those in the diary again  . . .

MsE - I'd not omit you from my post ;)   you are a great example of fortitude and positivity . . .   hope Devon was good  . . .

OO - continued excellence from you and junior with the 5K's  . . . .

speaking of juniors, I always enjoy your posts, Gerard, of times with your boy - great that you have your mum there at present to be with him whilst you run :) - and Gul - your mention of beach cricket took me back to such times with my son & daughter - induced a feeling of "sweet melancholy" - I think there's a word for this (happy remembrance of times past, but with the knowledge such times can never be repeated) , but can't bring to mind ( for which state there's also a word, but prefer to ignore this ) :)    anyhow, made me dig out a photo of my lad, aged about 5, wielding the bat  . . . .   but ,  still very privileged to share the running exploits of them both - was there the other week when my lad (now 29  (!!)  ), bagged 16:03 in the Doncaster Town centre 5K  . That's now my 5K, 10K and half mara PB's broken  . . . .  he's been too sensible to consider marathon yet.   

anyway, enough for now - 11 slow miles this morning, despite tight h'strg  , keeps me moving forward, one way or another  

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Back from a lovely week with the family in Devon.  Catching up it seems the thread has been busy!

Leslie -  I hope your diagnosis of high hamstring tendinopathy isn't as sinister as it sounds.  1:33 is a great time without that to factor in (love the cheery face in your race photo).  Get the injury nipped in the bud sooner rather than later though.  Nothing worse than chronic injuries, for the body and the mind.

PMJ - your comment made me laugh about your wife working out how long a run around Arran would take.  If you don't run around it, at the very least you could take in Goat Fell which is a great run and very much in keeping with your current excellent off road exploits.  The view from up there first thing in the morning is stunning.  When I was up there, someone had managed to get there just before us and sat on (ahem) a designated "Throne" leaving behind the perfect pile of poo. Can you imagine the views doing that?!  I actually think your off road running is going to give you extra all round strength that may surprise you (and your wife!)

OO - well done at the Coastal. An outstanding time showing you haven't lost any speed endurance at all. Lovely photo of you and OO Jr who also ran an great race.  Having not seen you, Poacher, for a couple of years I can say you don't seem to have aged one bit.  Agree that your biking has kept you fit.  Definitely one race I plan to do in the future.

Lorenzo - Congratulations on the new job!  (However) commiserations on not achieving your goal at Elmbridge.  It is still a great time/WAVA rating. I can't help thinking that a track session, the week of the race having rolled the ankle, wasn't helpful.  After all, training comprises:

running + strength and conditioning + resting (inc refuelling and hydrating) = optimally trained

So, if any of those elements is compromised, it is fair to say you can expect a result that doesn't do you justice.  Our friend rolled his ankle while we were on holiday last week and I whipped out the Tiger tape to get that compression on straight away, I'm so convinced that the recovery protocol can make all the difference.

Your son is showing impressive gains! That 800m time is mindblowing.

Great continued running from Freemers, quietly getting on with ticking off MLRs on a weekly basis it seems.

Well done on your HM AG win, BB.  So pleased to see you in your happy zone. ticking off races and reaping the benefits of your diligence with those wins. You thoroughly deserve them and they really do justice to your continued hard work.  Best of luck with the British Masters Marathon Champs. I was hoping to run in a GB Masters vest this year before my ankle ruined my plan so make sure you go and take one for the thread!

GD - good to see the Abo plan continuing well.  Hill sprints are great speedwork without aggravating too much, esp when walking down. Agree those fat burning runs are great to just tick over without punishing the body too much. Fully expect the old niggles to reappear (that soft tissue damage is always there) but treat them more as a reminder that you need to train smart with your injury history.  You know what works for you, so don't be a sheep and get drawn into others' plans when this happens.  I cannot recommend regular sports massage enough and if you can fit in regular sessions, it will help and is money well spent.  Mine recommends weekly if there is an ongoing issue which drops to fortnightly/monthly depending on where we are with things.  Like maintaining an old classic car!

Happy days for you with your mum and son staying, Gerard.  Good luck with the marathon campaign.

Birch - good to see you moving but I hope it isn't painful.  I was reading this article which has a wonderful runner in it who I often came across while in California, Christine Kennedy.  She obviously worked out how to continue running at a high level and everyone always talked about how well she managed it.

Lots of advice for all in here!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/masters/mastering-running-as-you-age

Excellent all round training with beach cricket and LRs from you, Gul. What is your goal race?  I think I need a reminder of which races are in the timeline for the thread so I can virtually cheer and support properly.  How about we pull together one of those?  GD (Abo), Gerard (?) - details (races and dates) please!

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    And I have been continuing with my run-walking while in Devon.  I have a nice flat area alongside a creek where I can run without fear of tripping up.  Having started the week on 1 min intervals, I ended with 2 min intervals for a total of 17 mins running yesterday (errr, I might have got carried away with the last few, it felt so good).  Hilariously, I narrowly missed a Strava CR which cheered me up and has encouraged me to think I am getting there, slowly but surely.  Yoga and pilates today.  And some weights now we are back home and I can hit the home gym.  

Happy weekend all.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Great progress MsE, you'll be flying soon.

And great to hear about your son Birch- he sure has got some pace!

I've had an average week in terms of pace and seem to have gained 3 pounds in weight. Scraped a 50 mile week though so not all bad.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    0054 200th parkrun you have had plenty of practice and a 5k the night before ! Decent 50 miler week.
    Gdawg very decent 21 miler.
    Birch timber mismanagement more like , Need to move up a jean size very soon as I soon won't be able to breathe or see my shoes if things continue much longer ... Keep plugging away it will all come good soon  and your son is in the big league now sub 16 very soon !
    MSE makes a change from me looking at my shoes in the foto's , I knew there would be a pic around there so was determined to smile and look up , just dragging my gammy leg home by that stage anyway .Physio tomorrow so will report back what he says as I'm just guessing ...
    I guess if you had know it was a strava segment you would have been tempted to beat it ! sounds like things are going well for you .

Not 1 run mile carded this week , will go and duly stand on the naughty step ! and I will be interested to see what the physio says tomorrow , rest will no doubt be uttered so I've already had 8 days now so that's that one covered  ...

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Evening all. My Mother departed back to the "Motherland" today and I thought it was an opportune time to have a proper catch up on what’s been occurring around here.

Gul – Very nice 17 miler and a cracking pace for your 7 miler tempo run. I hope you enjoy your break. Are you planning any trips or will you be bust doing gardening and staying local for the duration of your holidays?

Lorenzo - Ah, that’s a shame but maybe we could make a plan for next year’s Jersey Ultra? I think you would love it. Enjoy your trip in the Dales.

SJ – Nice to see you stopping by. How’s the swimming and biking? Are you doing an Ironman soon?

Badbark – Amazing mileage! I’ve heard Chester is a good one and think Literatin did it last year and the feedback was positive.

G-Dawg – You are knocking out some fast tempo runs and sounded like a lovely long run too. Great training.

Leslie – I hope you get sorted soon.

OO – Was the Temple Park 5k a road race? Good that you got quicker each mile and still a decent parkrun after that effort. You could fall out of bed and run a very good parkrun.

Birch – Your son is still improving and will probably bag a 33 min 10k soon if he races one. That’s a really good 5k time. Plenty of time for him to move up to the mara, I’m sure he will one day. Bet you’re proud of him and you would have every right to be. Glad to hear you managed to get a decent run in.

MsE – You sure do make the most of life, glad you enjoyed your trip to Devon. I’ve never been but it sounds and looks stunning. You’re making good progress and I’m really impressed with your discipline as I know you just wanna run and run and run.

I had to abort my planned 20 miler on Saturday as I managed to get a fragment of broken glass in my little toe, I set off and binned it after a mile as It felt like a dagger (not that I’ve ever had one in me) been driven in. Luckily my mother was on hand to perform the necessary surgery and oh my, what a relief it was when it was out. It was my Mum’s last day here today, so I didn’t want to be selfish and go out and disappear for 2.5 hours early doors. Never mind, I dropped my Mum at the airport around lunchtime and took my boy to a nearby hotel with an indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi, steam room, gym etc and we had a brilliant afternoon. I was feeling totally recharged and must admit I felt like I needed to compensate for not being able to run on Saturday, so I headed down to the track with my boy with some mile reps in mind and he was up for it. He did 5 x 100m sprints as well as a mile warm up with me and I managed 3 mile reps with 3 min recoveries. I was cautious of going too fast as I haven’t done any proper speed work for quite some time and was pleased to complete the session. Nothing spectacular, but they came in at 6:08/6:07 and 5:59. My son ran the last 100 with me on the last rep and I couldn’t keep up with him. He’s only just turned 9 and I think I’ll be passing the baton on to him sooner than I’d ever imagined. Lovely to see though but he was gutted not to break 20 seconds for his 100’s. He did 20:00 according to my stopwatch for his last one. Great session though and he enjoyed it and that made my day. Next week is gonna be a big one for me and I hope to get two long runs in, starting tomorrow. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - strong finish in your 5k and a very decent parkrun too.
    GD - good miles. Pleased your glute/hammy issue seems to be clearing up.
    Birch - happy memories. Stonking 5k from your son.
    MsE - nice progress. My target is to find a target at the moment!
    Leslie - good luck at the fizz.
    GM - ouch! Good your mum was on hand to do the honours. Sounds like a great afternoon with your son. Hope you get your long run in today!
    Rest day yesterday (from running and gardening!). Went to see an open air production of Emma at a local water garden. I had forgotten that the picnic scene was at Box Hill! 10 MP run today @ 7:27 m/m this morning. More digging lined up today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Go easy Gul- mind your back with all that digging.

Shame on you Leslie- I bet you are like a caged tiger!

Gerard that sounds like a pleasing track sesh. Your boy sounds quick- for sure he'll be on your shoulder soon enough on the longer runs, enjoy every minute.

Thinking about a plod later then up early for a Paris flight tomorrow- baggage handlers permitting.