Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    B)B)B) For 2017 the two silhouettes have received a dark night blue upper and contrasting vegetable tanned leather lining. saucony bullet shoes, I photographed thy walls, I hope that this rendering will be restored to my dear saucony triumph womens readers Any this share of beauty that is yours. Arthur Ashe was the first tennis player black to win the US Open and to win a total of 72 titles including the Australian Open in 1970 and Wimbledon in 1975. The ostentatiously futuristic shoe, featured as a part of the label’s Constellation line, dons a chrome Foamposite shell, speckled laces, branding on the heel, and an icy blue outsole. San Francisco3162 16th St. It is in a ball in a corner of your living room.
    <3<3<3
    www.shop-saucony.com/saucony-women
    I meant this shit. I assume everyone saw this polluting the thread.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Think SG was having a little joke, Ric.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    It may be shit, Ric but at least it's longer than Simon's race report.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe Ric has quoted it.
    Everyone knows that will have set some spam bot sensor off, meaning we'll now be subject to what the cool kids would describe as a sh!ttonne more.
  • On holiday so brief but congratulations to Dean and Simon 
  • Dont expect anything longer for the 5000m. Especially if I bomb, which going on today's few strides, may be a distinct possibility. Sneaking a medal would involve jogging to the main stadium for the medal ceremony, which would obviously be whilst drinking a tinnie at the same time. 

At least 'reportgate' has replaced the javelin throw fiasco. 
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Good luck today Simon. I assume your mate will stream it via FB again?
    flight home last night and with slight delay meant home for 3.30am!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Good luck Simon, crank out another great race.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep - whatever happens you'll have done us proud Mr Coombes!

First track session for a while today, which after a double yesterday and hilly run on Tuesday was probably a bit much for the leg. Hey ho. I took it relatively easy though with a simple 400, 800, 1200, 800, 400 pyramid. Aim was just to go sub 6 pace for each as a starter, but it came out a wee bit quicker than that, despite the strong wind (1:28, 2:56, 4:17, 2:54, 1:21 I think) so happy enough with the speed in the circumstances, if not the bit of pain. Physio and F-off tomorrow!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice one Bus.

I managed 6.5 miles at lunch, all easy, no obvious hamstring issues.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Reg - think it was a mistake though, as its quite stiff and painful now.

Glad the hamstring seems to be on the mend.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Come on SC: short report before the beers please!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I can get a quick report in before the main man appears if anyone's interested?

Wednesday night - final race of the Yateley series.  All I need to do to win the series is finish within two places of my clubmate, who has never beaten me and who was 2 minutes behind me in the last race.  Running has been suffering over the last week or so, and I've been feeling lethargic generally.  Suspect it's one of those mild illnesses you barely notice unless you run, and it probably explains my 3000 last week.  Wife has also felt dodgy recently.  So, running is generally OK, but probably that top-edge for racing is a bit absent, and had the series not been at stake I possibly wouldn't have run.  Pissing rain and strong wind don't make me any more up for it.

Young AFD guy who didn't run the first two is there on the start line.  Think I know who he is, and if I'm right, he's faster than me.  I also have to put in an honest effort to avoid being beaten by one of AFD's top women, which my foolish male pride will not allow.

Take the first km conservatively, and once my fast starting clubmate fades away, sure enough it's the young guy and I at the front.  He starts to push on, but I make an effort to draw level, edge in front, and try to slow it down a bit.  I'm in no mood for a massively fast race, and he doesn't seem particularly bothered either, so is happy to run at that pace.  We have a decent gap, and go through 5K in about 16:35.  I feel OK at this point, but then he puts in a turn of pace and opens up 20m on me before I have any chance to respond.  Try to up the pace, but I can't.  As he pulls further into the distance, I start to fade more and more, and begin to feel pretty rubbish.  At about 8km, secure in 2nd and feeling crap, I stop pushing hard, and just try to bring it home in an OK time.  Somehow, despite having run this race 12 previous times, I find myself on the wrong side of the tape as I turn into the field at the finish.  Stop, duck under the tape and continue.  Finish in 33:30 and secure the series win, albeit on a pretty underwhelming note.  In the end, I was 40 seconds behind, but the good news is that me slowing the race down meant that I preserved my Strava course record for the 10K route by a slim margin, so swings and roundabouts.

• Nice one Dachs - decent series win and not feeling great 33.30 is very good.

So the 5000m. Had done sod all apart from a. 30 min run on Tuesday morning, but I can't reallly tell if I fell OK or not, felt slight wheezy this week at times, been very showery. So yesterday morning the weather was absolutely terrible, hammering down with rain. By the time we get to the smaller Viby track by 12, it's started to ease a little. Find out that there will be 2 races and I'm in the second one, no great surprise. See Guy Bracken finish his V55 race in 16.18 and he's a bit pissed off. Have a chat with Ben Reynolds before his V50 run also.

Do my warm up and get back to the call room tent for 1.00 for the race at what will be about 1.50 after the first race has finished. So warm up watching the first race and have a first chat with Kerry-Liam Wilson the good GB vet. Fred the French guy who won the 1500 is the clear favourite as he has done sub 15 this year. Rain eases off more, I'm feeling loads more relaxed than Sunday and legs feel ok. 

So we're off. Fred moves away right from the gun, and it's me, KLW and a danish guy in a little group behind, generally hitting 75/76's. This carries on to about 6 laps when I feel the danish guy struggling a bit. A couple of the laps up until this point I have thought about dropping off a little, but thankfully KLW has slowed it up a bit and we've come together again. On lap 7/8 I go past the local and into bronze, obviously pleasing, but still work to do. Thankfully within 2 laps the gap is up to 70/80m, KLW is about 10 seconds ahead. So just churn out the last 3 laps and try and keep the laps honest, which I do and enjoy the last 400 to finish with a bronze and a 15.46 seasons best. 

So happily give KLW a lift over to the other track for the medal ceremony and listen to the Marseillaise again! KLW did 15.39 and Fred way clear in 15.13. Big Frankfurter and a large pint to celebrate. Sorted!!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Great stuff Simon, double medallist. The report dragged on a bit though, when is the Javelin final?

Well done Dachs. Not chicked and more importantly not lost your Strava CR.

I got a KOM this morning on the downhill through traffic past M'head train station, I had to go in the middle of the road between two cars and squeeze past the zebra crossing before some old codger got to the point at which I would be expected to stop :) It's a lethal KOM to be honest.

Got out this morning for 8 easy miles so three days running/running and no obvious hammy issues. I think I will keep it all easy though from now on and just get more easy miles in.
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Double European Medallist Siiiimonnn Coombrez!

If, when you return, the streets of Leighton Buzzard aren't packed with cheering spectators all greeting you by waving their six-fingered hands in jubilation, it will be a travesty.

You can't argue with a season's best in a European final. An adequate report as well, so it's all good.  Now enjoy your well-earned beers.

Reg, I've driven that road many times, and anyone cycling fast down the middle of it needs their head read.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    My school once insisted I go and see a psychologist. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Wonder why :-). Surprised its not flagged as dangerous on Strava - any slight descent with a bend seems to be!!

Nice one Dachs - holding on for the series win and a perfectly respectable time is most impressive in the circs!

Simon - we are not worthy!!! I am trying to source an open-top double decker as we speak, but only the Leighton Buzzard Buzzer seems to be available......

Very well done!

• SC great result for the 5000m, can't sniff at a SB! Not to mention, two medals! Well done :)

Dachs well done on your series win! Male pride often wins out in races ;) don't wanna get into the habit of being chicked!

Sounds like a good couple of days running from everyone - good news on the hammy front AG.

Session last night was meant to be 2mi (5mins) and 4 x 1mi (3mins) at 10k effort - legs were heavy, and given it was my return to sessions this week I thought I'd see how I fare and may cut the session down.
    The 2mi came out as 12:31, and the first two miles as 6:08 each. I was feeling a bit ragged by this point, so decided to drop the last mile and push the envelope on this one - came out as 5:57! 

Very happy with how the session turned out, although not quite a true reflection of where I'm at for 10k performance, it gives me confidence that I'll be in a strong position to challenge my weak PBs over the next few months!
    I've a road 10km of 40:12 and 7mi of 49:30 - both of which I have races eyed up for :)
  • Cheers All! Dachs- I managed to tell the hottie doing the medal presentation the correct pronunciation of my name just before I got up on the podium, so no giggling this time. 

I agree with the reception back in the 'buzz'. I'll slip in there between Kajagoogoo and the Baron Knights in the hall of fame. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Nice one SC!
    And Dachs.
    And of course I have reserved half an hour for SG's monster report on how he monstered the monster hill mile.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah,but you're not too shy to shine Simon.....(what did you say to the podium girl - "hey girl, come a little closer"....)
  • The Bus said:
    Yeah,but you're not too shy to shine Simon.....(what did you say to the podium girl - "hey girl, come a little closer"....)
    Not as slick as you mate! Just sort of shouted my name at her basically..
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but you'd already walked the walk!! (or ran the run to be precise!)
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Well done Simon. Two medals! Result!
    Don't mention race walking. Jeez, what a load of old toilet.

Mind you, I can walk but not run. I tried this morning with encouragement from my occasional training partner. No way. Knees seemed stuffed on both sides. Ok to cycle on, no pain at all.

I cycled, she ran. 

It's the impact aspect. 

Quite odd really. Anything else I want to do, I feel nothing at all.  If I try running it's a total 'forget it' job. 

I don't enjoy running if it hurts.

My running partner is the same. Dedicated but not obsessional.

She knows of some obsessive women who was almost full term pregnant. Ran until her waters broke. Was hospitalised. Discharged herself and went running.
    Had the kid. Ran the next day and ripped herself. Got stitched up. Did it again.

Needs to be sectioned that one.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cesarean sectioned? Definitely bonkers! Do you know what the knee issue is Ric?

Planned a nice flat 12 miler this morning, with the kids on bikes along the Phoenix trail. Loaded the bikes, kids etc into our old car with the big boot, whihc doesn't get driven much, and of course - wouldn't start! Dead as a dead thing, and only one slim chance of a bump start off our drive, as i is then up hill! Didn't work of course, so unloaded the car sent the kids for a bike ride locally and went off for a hilly 12.3 miler instead!  Kept it very easy, and all was OK. Not 100% yet, but better....made a nice round 40 miles for the week too, so starting to get back to a sensible mileage again.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds promising Bus, bar a classic vehicle breakdown as you're making your middle name, normally bikes in fairness, so a nice surprise!

What else can we say about the medal twins, most high profile result since me winning the Wycombe 5k ;)

Hopefully Ric is back properly soon. Whenever I see a post with so many spacings, I know something is amiss :)

Right, this is the longest I've ever taken to get a race report up - 2 days on! But it has been more of a trip and stuff to fit than normal, as well as trying to get a cold away, so we best get a cracking......

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Double European medalist SC. Great stuff. Think you should change your username to Bronze Bomber now. 

Well done on the series win Dachs. Does your clubmate never think of easing his way into a race as that's a painful way to run. 

Hope you can get your injury sorted Ric. Like SG said, it wasn't long ago you seemed to be training well and consistently. We never know when we're one step away from a big spell out. 

Hilly off road long run. That's a staple diet there Bus. ;-) 

When I first saw this weeks training on paper I was pretty keen to get stuck in but the nearer it got the more I was dreading it. 10 miles yesterday at 5.49 pace in which I paced the 18 min group for the first 5k. I started to feel my foot around 5 miles but managed to get it done. A few stretches on my warm down and ended up with just shy of 17 miles done for the day. 
    Spent the afternoon at a house/garden party and lossened up with 4 cans before an evening jog. 

Part 2 was a 10 mile race this morning where after speaking with the boss we decided that if I went out around 5.40 pace and tried to finish stronger it would be a good session. No chance of the win (carl hardman there) so thought I'd just tuck in with whoever was around as there was a decent headwind on the 4 mile stretch out. 

I was sat in 5th for the first 3 miles until the early pace setter went back through the field. Front 3 were Carl Hardman and Rob Affleck who were racing as part of their long run. Carl had already done 12 at 6min pace and Rob had done 10 but one is looking to run sub 2.18 and the other 2.25ish in Berlin. The other was my clubmate who is a 32 min lad. 

Felt pretty strong after the hilly section at 5/6 miles and managed to pick up the pace over the back half. 28.15 for the first 5 and 27.35 for the last 5 and just managed to pass my clubmate with 200 to go with a 5.17 last mile. Easy few days now until Thursday but I just need to get on top of this plantar now. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Mynyddislwyn "Murder" Mile - Fri 4th August - Race 200

A race I've wanted to do for years and years now, I did think my realistic chance of ever doing it had gone the season Wycombe had an away game the day after at Newport, 15 mins or so away, 3 years ago (!) and not quite fancying it enough to do then.

However, after basically missing over a year of racing, I vowed to get this one done, as you never know how many more chances you'll get.
    My sheer magnificent timing, this ended up being my 200th race. Good news in the end that I turned down a number of July races after all!

A stay over with a couple of pals in Bristol, and then bringing them back to Wycombe the next day made it slightly less madcap, than a 260mile straight round trip could have been.

Half day at work, and the plan was to get going at 2.30ish, for the 7 start.
    I'd been feeling a bit coldy since the start of the week, which probably peaked on the Thursday, so I decided to bin the planned 4mile morning jog, and just focus on getting there! Getting home from work, and a quick 1 hour lie down helped a bit!

Actually got going at 3.15, for the130mile trip, i'd budgeted "2 hours for". Sat nav on, 2:30 expected time. That's still comfy I thought, 5.45 eta for a 7. :)

Set off, trying to straddle that fine line between lots of fluid to help with the cold, and not so much fluid the bladder is going to combust, and most of the journey went swimmingly. A few 50s and hold ups on the M4, and in a couple of hours plus, we were into Wales.

£6.70 toll (behave!), and suddenly the terrain had switched from grey to epic views.

The last couple of miles were where I was expecting any awkwardness of directions to kick in, but a firm postcode for some pub, and only half a mile off that for the start looked fairly safe!

Into a series of quant little villages, and suddenly the task ahead was looming large, as it had all changed to these sort of mountains!

"I'll tell the guys on the internet this was the actual race" I think to myself.

I'm starting to regret not stopping for a bladder relaxation, as we're back into vaguely populated terrain.
    I decide to park on a pretty steep incline (an ominous sign of what's ahead), putting more effort into a handbrake check than ever seen, and duck into some woodland, for literally a 5min unleashing (ed...is this bit necessary -there's kids reading this)

Back in the car, and I clock a "runners caution" sign. Yes, we're on the right lines! Although the sat nav suggests another 2-3miles away still.

Drive up this hill, and there's a farmer type fella hanging around, he's put some seats out. I drive past, and suddenly think, hang on, i can't drive any further up, as it's way too narrow. Heck...i must have to go up and round a different way.

Awkward reverse down and back up a little gradient, trying not to run over the famer's duck and dog(!), and some other guy is patiently in his car waiting for me. I give him a hand gesture of "where are you trying to go son" and he's patiently waiting for me to get out the way.

He drives straight up the road i'd decided was too narrow! Heck! Oh well, only 2 people and a dog and duck have seen it.

Exchange some chat with the farmer, "it only goes up and up from here" he says.

I set off, thinking, this aint too bad, this can't be the actual route. Thinking i'm still 2-3miles away, and forgetting i'm in a car.

Driving up this narrow road, i'm really hoping no-one comes down it at the same time. It's literally a car's width, and even people walking would have to really stand over to one side in the undergrowth.

I'm driving up so cautiously, that suddenly the road is getting super hilly, and it's struggling in even 2nd gear. Come to an almost standstill, and am sweating, as for a second it looks like we're not getting going again, even in 1st gear. Noise is horrific, rev-city, slight panic. Wouldn't be the place to get stuck. The smell is very noticeable (car, not me!) . Just about crawl to the top of the hill, worried i've obliterated the clutch, as it smells like burning rubber :)

I've realised by now i'm on the actual course, and the postcode is luckily miles beyond, and wouldn't have helped much if i'd come in that direction.

Some gallows humour to the organisers about how i'd just about been able to "drive" up, and pure relief on parking up, on the flat in a huge field, and it's 6.10. Only 50mins to the start, and not the "Hours" I thought I might have to hang around!

Relief. And that was just the getting here part!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mill around a bit, get my number sorted, and looked to get stuck into taking a few pics to capture the quaint nature of the race.

A bit of excitement and noise was afoot, as some farmer geezer was steaming down the hill towards us in this.

Couldn't help but be glad this wasn't 20mins later, as the guy didn't look like the type who would "Hold off, because there's a race on"

I went to take a pic from the peak of the hill, well...the peak of the racepeak (the hill went on further!), but i'm not sure the below gives any real impression of the steep nature. Quite hard to because of the slight windiness, and the woody setting.