Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Thank you to MsE for summarising everything so well!  

I was away with my family in the Peak District this weekend so didn't get much forum time.  As I'm still only running 5 days pw at the moment Saturday was a rest day, but got out for a lovely 16 miles yesterday morning along a bike trail which had stunning views but was almost pancake flat.  50 miles for the week.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Gerard sounds like you had a nice time with your family despite the glass in your toe ..ouch !
    0054 If I don't get out soon I may bite someone lol ...enjoy your flight who needs luggage anyway .
    Jools sounds like a nice run alright.

Had my first physio session today ....proximal (high) hamstring summit or other ! is the diagnosis which is literally a pain in the A5se made worse by about 3.5 hrs driving yesterday .
    No running for a week to start with ,ice etc no trying to stretch it for now as that will make it worse which has been the case .I have scar tissue/goo/treacle build up where the 3 tendons join the bone restricting movement  very tight hammy etc ! 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good to know what the problem is and then able to take positive action to make it better, Leslie. Good luck with future sessions

Interesting session tonight. Planned to do hill reps but added extra stuff into the whole thing as I went along. For some reason I felt quite strong. Rather than do a 3 mile recovery run yesterday, I got on the bike and recovered with a cheeky 15 miler and it seems to have given me a boost.

Tonight ended up with 4 miles of tempo, 10 hill repeats and 2 tempo miles to get home. 10 miles at 7.16 pace in all and feeling strong. In every campaign I seem to go through some sort of upshift in form, tonight felt just like that. A rare good feeling.

The other bonus is that's my 10 miler done for the week and I can take the shorter 6 mile run commute home tomorrow.  B)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Quiet on here, must be holiday season. 

Jools - Sounds like you had a nice trip in the peak district with your family and you enjoying your running at the mo. 

Leslie - 3.5 hours driving is never good. I hope you get fixed soonest! 

G-Dawg - You're getting fit and running well at the mo. Remember to get some recovery in as well. We never seem to get injured when we are not running well. 

I didn't manage to get out for my long run on Monday. It was my first day back in work after a week off and all the entertaining and early morning runs caught up on me and I fell asleep when I got home from work. Not to be denied a run though I went out and did a lovely 6k hilly tempo run after Sunday's track sesh i felt good. Bagged a double today. 11k early doors with a new running buddy and another 11k tonight solo, all easy pace around 8:10mm. Hoping to do an easy 20k tomorrow after work and have penciled in a proper long run this Saturday morning. All being well I should hit close to 100K/60+ miles this week. 

MsE - You mentioned a race list. I can't remember who's doing what but I'll put mine down.

Guys -Please feel free to add any up and coming races and re format if you like. 

Summer/Autumn race schedule

Gerard - Amsterdam marathon - 15/10/17 - Sub 3:15 (GFA BQ attempt).

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Gerard - Amsterdam marathon - 15/10/17 - Sub 3:15 (GFA BQ attempt).

OO54- GNR- 10/09/17-target 1:23

OO54- Paris Marathon- 8/04/18- sun 3:05

OO54- VLM- 22/04/18- sub 3:05 (GFA BQ attempt for 2019)

Plenty of slow miles this week. Trying to squeeze them in before the Hols. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - I thought you were doing Boston in 2018. All being well, we may be there at the same time ! :)

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    More run walking from me. I am up to 3 min blocks now - wooooo!

I am sure your weight gain is transitional matter, OO.  Liking your race schedule but those targets seem super soft for you.

Gerard - racking up the mileage nicely.  Your glass in foot incident sounds horrendous.  I do love reading about your father son outings.  Great to get them in while they are young.  When MsEsq reached 13 and became interested in girls, he suddenly lost all interest in hanging around with his dad (boo!) until MrE bought a Rib to whizz around the sea in (yay!)

BTW, I may try join you both in Boston in 2019 if things go according to plan. A thread trip to the US would be awwwwesome (as they say). I missed my first entry due to injury and the second one due to work so perhaps third time lucky?

Jools - sounds like the mojo is returning.  

Leslie - be a good patient won't you?

GD - great running from you.   

Wet wet wet here.  Love the rain.  Makes me feel alive.
  • Quick drop in as I am on holiday and using a phone. I am in Cornwall so the main aim is to surf but bad weather means a few empty days so some decent runs. MsEs comments ring true: today was too wet for the cliff tops so I did 12 miles out and back on the Camel Trail at 7:17 average pace so the miles on the hills have made decent road pace. Pacing parkrun Saturday at 21
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - Haha, whizzing around on rib sounds fun! Ooh, a Boston thread outing sounds great!

PMJ - Pacey 12 miler there. I hope the weather improves and you can catch some waves. 

It's soaking here too, 10 soggy but splendid miles done tonight. Very easy pace, just plodding along and racking up the miles is the main aim at the mo. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Good to see more progress MsE.

Enjoy the hols PMJ.

Rest day for me today but did have a good run commute last night. Did the direct 6 mile route and got all miles at 6.4x, averaged 6.48. Really pleased with that as it was warm and had a small back pack.

Usual train commute tonight and then bike...oh no, not bike, because someone had chopped through the 2 locks and nicked it.
    Two bikes gone in a year having never had one stolen before. Not impressed.
  • Quick dip in via phone from the Yorkshire Dales after spending a long weekend canoeing 75 miles from Hay to Monmouth.

Dry for the run first thing this morning followed by a wet walk. Looks like both will be wet tomorrow. 

Boston thread gathering sounds interesting although I may have to do a reconnaissance mission in 2018.

Great to see MsE back running and Jools' mojo coming back. 

That's a real pain in the proverbial G-Dawg - can't understand some people

Anyone else going to watch the athletics on either Friday or Saturday this weekend?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    7 windy but dry miles earlier this morning. Rest day tomorrow beckons after 60k in the last 5 days of runinng, the legs are starting to feel the increase in mileage but not too bad. I'm looking forward to spectating on Saturday at this year's Jersey Ultra. Quite a few friends doing it so will be interesting to see how things pan out. 

• Anyone else going to watch the athletics on either Friday or Saturday this weekend?
    75 miles is a decent paddle. I'm at the Saturday night session. Bolt time. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - tel more about the canoe trip. Or was it a kayak? Great upper body exercise.

Smokey - tell more about Mont Blanc

10m yesterday, got soaked, walked quite a bit of it.

You would all love Boston, just remember that a BQ time doesn't guarantee entry so aim to beat the age/gender cutoff by a few minutes to make sure. And to get in a better pen - there are 3 waves at the start and the earlier the better in case it's hot (+ to get the the pub sooner to make friends with Samuel Adams). :p
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Anyone else going to watch the athletics on either Friday or Saturday this weekend?
    There on Friday and Saturday night.  Then again on evening of Sat 12.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    morning all

yes, I'll be watching Fri & Sat (and each day) on the new tv I purchased  last week :)  

my hamstring issue, whilst still present, seems to be receding a bit ( I've been here before, tho' )   so I'm increasing mileage this week, whilst closely monitoring. I noticed my annual total as at July 31st was 830, so have set a target (all being well), of 170 for this month, to take me to 1,000. 
    Started with 7.5 Tues (including 5 longish hills at the end), 10 y'day, 6 today.  I'm way off where I'd like to be, but it's a start, and I'm not giving in just yet  . . . .
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - OO only needs sub 3:30, so all being well he'll smash that and get the beers in, mind you, if MsE decides to rock up it might be a close run thing.  

I'm envious that you guys are getting to see the WC's, I've never been to an elite athletics event. I really hope Bolt bows out with a win, not too fussed about Farah I've never been a huge fan, but I expect he will get the biggest cheers from the home crowd.

G-Dawg - That sucks!

Smokey Joe has a nice ring to it. :

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm going to all the evening sessions at the athletics :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    anyone know how to change forum name - the "edit profile" page has the name field greyed out, and can't get cursor to appear there
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I really detest sprllckeckers

Birch what is the new identity...
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thought I'd follow Gerard's example and go for the less formal "first name & initial", rather than plain surname  . . .
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg said:

Usual train commute tonight and then bike...oh no, not bike, because someone had chopped through the 2 locks and nicked it.
    Two bikes gone in a year having never had one stolen before. Not impressed.
    Sorry to hear about the missing bikes.  Are your locks the D-type?  Do you leave both wheels on? Wonder if a missing wheel and D lock might make it less attractive to steal.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Birch said:
    morning all

my hamstring issue, whilst still present, seems to be receding a bit ( I've been here before, tho' )   so I'm increasing mileage this week, whilst closely monitoring. I noticed my annual total as at July 31st was 830, so have set a target (all being well), of 170 for this month, to take me to 1,000. 
    Started with 7.5 Tues (including 5 longish hills at the end), 10 y'day, 6 today.  I'm way off where I'd like to be, but it's a start, and I'm not giving in just yet  . . . .
    Good to hear it.  That's the spirit!  There's always a way (one hopes).
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Birch - You can call me Mr Dawg!!  :D 

I'm at the Champs on the final Saturday and Sunday, 12th and 13th.
    Not looking forward to the travel chaos at Waterloo.  :/
    Still, it will be worth it.

Track tonight, 6 x 800 session. Ouch!
  • That's not a bad total Birch, I'm on 90.45 miles for the year (you know it's bad when you feel the need to quote it to 2 decimal places!). Glad the hammy is easing off.

And yes, have an IM coming up in early September which, if I don't do any training runs for between now and then (and I probably won't) will take me to a stellar 116.65 for the year.  B)

Fly out to Canada in 2 weeks for hols and world swim bike champs and then IM is euro long distance champs in Holland. Can't wait - the GB tri suit has arrived and looks super pro even when I'm wearing it.

Poacher, TdMB was fairly epic I have to say. Probably the hardest thing I've ever done.  Even the hardest IM race I've done (Wasdale X with the Fred Whitton as the bike leg and a mountain marathon up Scafell Pike as the run leg always felt comfortable and achievable- the pain is in trying to be quick (much like running a fast mile)).  But this thing required a fair bit of battling just to beat the cut offs. Combination of distance, huge climbing, and high temps over a LONG day made it a real ordeal by the finish.
    First half was great (felt invincible) and the second half, riddled with effects of heat, continued nausea, cramps, inability to eat and including a final descent in the dark down a mountain road which is a red ski run in the winter whilst unable to feel my hands and fighting to keep my eyes open, made for a grim 9hrs.....

But you can keep going when you just focus on turning the pedals. 
    18hrs 58mins, 330km, 8000m climbing, 9 categorised climbs, (last 5 super category (HC)), temp range 5degC to 37degC, start and finish in the dark. Would highly recommend it. 

Got a nice jersey! 
  • In other news, I was swimming in Windermere on Tuesday morning, minding my own business right in the middle of the lake and felt something jagged grab my ankle really hard. Not very enjoyable!

A giant bird dive-bombed me and bit me! Must've thought my foot was a fish.  I think it was a juvenile cormorant?  brown, big with a long yellow beak....

Really freaked me out but got myself together and carried on. 10 minutes later the bl00dy thing did it again and grabbed some of my toes!!!

Ended up doing breast stroke so I could keep an eye on the skies.
    Left with a red stripe and a cut around my ankle 

Dangerous business this swimming lark.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Looking fit there Slokey! Enjoy the duathlon in Canada.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Very smart indeed, SJ.  And thoroughly well deserved.  Planning on trimming the pit/[anywhere else] hair to make yourself more streamlined?  ;) 
  • Nah MsE, (other than the obligatory brazilian).  ;)