Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Long time no speak, Richard. Welcome back!  You've come to just the right place for running motivation....
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Oooh it's Richard!!! How exciting. Maybe we really should reinstate the UniChall league, to be just like the old days.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    DT - assuming 4% improvement ( is that 4% on Addidas? Brooks? Pumas ? Tesco wellies ? ) i'd say the latest run is slightly down on the previous one. As noted at the time, that run of 6:35 @ 163HR was 6:19 @ 163HR "Vaporfly equivalent" assuming the marketed 4% improvement. So, assuming 3-4 secs per beat, 6:43 @ 159HR equates to 6:29 @ 163HR for a direct comparison. So about 10 seconds worse.

Of course, there are umpteen other variables that can affect these stats. My run of 3 miles yesterday morning was total garbage statistically for no apparent reason, but i do feel a bit crap today ....

And you'll never know if any improvement you might make from now on is a result of the new shoes or your training ?
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Richard!

Muddy - any chance you can get CJ Ford back?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mace- What I should have done was run at 6.35 pace. There are several factors-

1. It takes some 30 miles to break them in and maximise responsiveness.

2. The weather conditions midweek were far windier than the other stated run and whilst I was running a loop so benefitted equally from wind assistance and resistance, you always lose more than you gain.

3. I was feeling much more fatigued this midweek than last.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy- how about Bob? He popped up on my connect last night having uploaded a load of easy runs.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    10k today at long marston airfield. Went as I noted last year's v35 prize went in 40.xx. Settled into 5th place after 1 mile with a clubmate chasing v45 on shoulder and couple of lads just behind. At the 5k point the 4th placed runner peeled away to the 5k finish so I was in 4th with clubmate on shoulder still, both knowing that if we held these positions we were guaranteed age prizes as no double dipping. At about 4.5 miles working into a strong head wind my clubmate waivered so I capitalised and put a surge in and opened up a 15 metre lead. I was conscious he would beat me in a Sprint for line. Managed to hold 4th without any challenge in 39.45 on watch. first v35 came second but he can't win twice so I got it. Just a free entry to another of their races which is fine as planning to enter one in October and they cost £20. Course measured 6.27 for me and 6.29 for clubmate so another day and another course I may have been 30 seconds faster. 

Didn't wear my magic daps as reserving them for halfs upwards. 
  • Congratulations Rich. Personally speaking becoming a parent helped me get out and run. When they get to two and three and start running round, fitness seems to matter. And it sets a good example.

Well done on the 10k pb, The Dan. Abbey Dashing ? I'm in. 

Welcome back Richard. Are you back in the north west? Set yourself a motivational target for the Lancaster half in early December. It was a nice race last year.

Tommy - I see CJ around but not sure how much he is running. I was chatting to Mrs CJ at parkrun this morning and she seems to be getting the miles in though.

Congratulations on the prize DT and looking good on all the metrics for sub 3. I am sceptical that shoes can make 4% of difference though.  Wasn't the analysis that the arrow shaped wind break (and pacing)  helped the most with Kipchoge. Quite surprised how big the shoes look too in terms of height. How do the ankles feel with them?

Not much running for me this week, as on holiday and doing fossil hunting, swimming, magic shows and kids discos.

8m at top end of easy on Tuesday. Then after 6 hours in the car stretched my legs for 4m in the pouring rain last night. Headed for parkrun this morning, ran as a threshold session. 600m of warm up so not ideal. It came out at 17.58 for 161 av heart rate, so about a minute faster than the last threshold parkrun I did early June. 1m of cooldown, so will double today with 4m recovery later to try to put a 30 mile week in once the long run is done and dusted. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Muddy, I don't think they actually knocked 4% of the world record time in any event, even with all the other factors in there. 
  • Where does the 4% number come from? I l remember vaguely something about energy usage compared to other shoes? 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Muddy I think it's 4% advantage compared to Nikes previous fastest marathon racer (the zoom?). Not sure what advantage it would give over shorter compared to shorter distance racing flats.

Have to say I have mixed feelings if they really work. Would be a shame to see technology becoming a significant factor in times. Plus if you really got that much advantage wouldn't it make any pbs feel a bit cheap? 

DT - Well done, looks like you are going well. Is sub 3 the target? 

Muddy - good tempo and nice to see decent progress being made. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I'd disagree, Mr v. Technology is giving advantages in all sports. Not just race day kit , but training stat availability etc etc. Should football still be played with an old leather laced up ball and big clumsy boots? Should all cyclists ride the same bike and wear same kit? There are endless examples. 

It's a 4% energy efficiency gain over the previous fastest shoe for marathon running. I don't think Nike have said that means a 4% reduction in times, the public have just construed it that way. 

I'm not sure I will in Birmingham as it is an undulating course, but it's the aim for London next year all being well. 
  • Speaking of shoe technology, I quite enjoyed the Brendan Foster documentary this afternoon with footage of him training in his Adidas Gazelles !
  • Thread dead.

I did around 17 miles today as a 14 + 3 to make 37 mile week. Feel a bit battered now after cramming most of those miles into two double days this weekend and a Friday night run. Rest day tomorrow. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, Muddy. Excellent squeezing. I'm 0.5 miles away from my highest ever mileage month so I'll be doing a 15 minute recovery run tomorrow following this morning's easy 15.

Managed to hit my pre holiday pressup target on Friday night by doing 100. It's a bit like endurance running in that I did 70 tonight just for maintenance without any huge effort. 2 weeks ago 70 was maximal. 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone! Just popping in to say I made my track racing debut on Friday night (the horror) and although I was surprisingly slow (18:59.8 for 5000m!), in the spirit of 'you can only race whoever turns up' I did still win a bronze medal for third V35 lady in the Scottish masters championships. Not doing THAT again.
  • Well done - what was so bad about it Lit ?
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Good stuff DT - my record is 116 but i reckon i'd be struggling to hit 20 at the moment

welcome back Rich

I managed 15.1M on Saturday for a muddy-topping 37.4M week  :p Started at 6:30am with 2 clubmates which was pleasant enough but the first half along the coast was into an annoying headwind, then it died down as we got to the turn point and by 9-10M the funking sun made an appearance and we were melting even though it was only 8am !! Last couple of miles were a bit of a mission and overall the effort was a fair bit higher than it should have been ( as was Thursday's 3 miler )  so i think i'll take a little cut back this week.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Quick one.... Skinny, chin up son. You'll be back im certain. I bet my running forum fame on it. 
  • Hello all again. I'm probably going to end up in St Albans or somewhere equally expensive.  I have been running but lord, slower than before. 

Tommy - I did the Notts 10 in June. Well I did 10k and then dropped out with stomach cramps.  Saw lots of Holme runners but not you or Bob. 

When my jet-lag is better, I'll chat more. 

But it's nice to be back 
  • Well done - what was so bad about it Lit ?
    Rain, wind, 12.5 laps of a track... I quite enjoyed the rest of the evening though.
  • I had an X ray on my foot today - the nurse (?) told me it would be 6 weeks before I got the results. Useful..........

Then she told me I could ring my doctors in a week.

Perhaps they get told to under promise and over deliver?
    Or perhaps my doctor will just say the results aren't here yet.

Hi Richard - welcome back - I hope you enjoyed your time in New Zealand - it looks a beautiful country from afar. 
  • Stevie G said:
    Quick one.... Skinny, chin up son. You'll be back im certain. I bet my running forum fame on it. 
    Thank you - well I wouldn't want to jeopardise your running forum fame  :#
  • Hi Richard, 
    ive just been to France but now I'm back. Well, almost back; currently approaching the tunnel at 90+ mph. McF's running might have slowed, but her driving hasn't.
  • Hi Skinny. Yes it was a beautiful country, full of farms and long straight roads. Weather was great. It's just out of winter and although it was freezing overnight, during the day, temperatures would reach 17-20 degrees. Summer was 25-30 degrees daily. Lots of rain. Running is increasing in popularity with longer runs being favoured. But 2 park runs within a 20k radius. Enjoyed it. 

Sorry to to read about your injury woes. Hope it sorts itself soon 
  • Hope the results give you something to move forward with Skinny.

I racked up a 50 mile week for the first time in ages. I did around 9 miles of quality within that, a 5k paced session earlier in the week covering about 2.8 miles, averaging around 5.30 min/mile pace on some loops with climbs. Definitely felt like I worked very hard in that session, and while I was cooking on gas decided to throw in some hill sprints.

Then last night I did a tough trail 10k race at threshold effort, finishing 9th and 1st v45 in just over 41 minutes. Thunderstorms during the day and a good bit of rain had nicely soggied up the course to help me revisit the cross country experience. Nothing much exciting happened except I had to stop to tie a shoelace around half way and at least 5 guys streamed past me at that point. I'd been leading a group down a narrow gully and was exercising caution as I could feel my laces flapping about so they'd had to queue up behind me. Legs were burning afterwards, not because of lactate but because of nettle rash.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Skinny, 6 weeks !?!? .... my foot x-ray a few months ago took about a week to come back. And the one i had to rule out a fracture when i picked up the PF last year they gave me the result on the day.

Richard - New Zealand is definitely on my bucket list

Good work muddy .... i'm pretty sure that's not the only time you've had to stop to tie a lace mid-race. I've never had that problem myself as i have an ingenious way of preventing it, it's called a double knot ;)

Last week was a cut back week for me as I wasn't really feeling it on a couple of runs the week before so i decided that i'd just go out when i felt like it with no pressure so 4M on Tuesday evening it was then B)

And as if by magic i woke this morning at 5:30 and couldn't wait to get out the door. Funny old game !!
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny - seems a bit odd, hope you get an answer sooner rather than later.

Muddy - Good week there. Nothing more annoying than a lace coming undone mid race though!

Mace - sensible approach. Lack of mojo tends to be the body's way of asking for a rest I think.

As I'm off work today I decided to have a bit of a marathon dry run this morning.  13.1 done at roughly marathon goal pace (probably ended up slightly too fast).  Tried to do it properly with the same breakfast I'll have on marathon day, plus gels etc. Came in at just over 1.26 which felt pretty comfortable. Legs were a bit tired towards the end but that seems to be a fairly permanent fixture of marathon training!
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Mace - Thanks for the tip - I have a 5k race on Wednesday night which may turn out to be an eyeballs out affair (will see how I feel, been a bit snotty recently) so wouldn't be stopping to tie any laces (actually, it's mostly my trail shoes with crusty laces that come undone)

Mr V - I did a similar run 2 weeks before Hull, and ran 2.53 off the back of 1.26 for the marathon paced half. Looks like you are in great shape!
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Skinny - 6 weeks?! Surely they can do better than that.

Muddy - nicely done. What's the 5k?

Mr V - looks like you're in good shape! How long till the marathon?

I've been doing a bit of running as and when I feel like, although I seem to be a bit knackered all the time. A progressive 10 miler with club last night was good fun but feel a bit stiff legged today.

Got a new watch the other day, when I officially became eligible to race as a vet on the track, which spits out a plethora of information that I don't really know what to do with, but at least I can quote my HR stats when the conversation turns that way. I recorded a max HR of 197 at the end of a summer league race last week which sounds pretty high to me and my limited knowledge so I guess that was a glitch on the watch.