Incontinence after pregnancies - tips please!

Hi, i have three beautiful children and problem with incontinence. True I have put on weight a lot during pregnancies and still haven't lost everything which I am sure would help (would it?)
After my 3rd one was born i went to see a private "lady bits" physiotherapist and that helped a lot. But as soon as I start running again I feel the incontinence gets gradually worse. 
Any tips please? Thank you!!!
Tagged:

Comments

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    And yoga. Anything that encourages the body to engage the pelvic floor or mula bandha which gets it working ("Mula bandha is associated with the center of the perineum. In men, mula bandha results from contractions of the muscles surrounding the perineal body, which lies midway between the anus and the genitals. Some texts suggest that by applying light pressure beneath this area (sitting on a soft, rolled sock or a specially designed cushion) contraction can be stimulated. Postures in which pressure is applied by sitting on the heel of one foot have also been described. For women, the contraction of mula bandha is said to be felt not at the perineal body, but at the area surrounding the base of the cervix. As in men, a soft cushion at the center of the perineum is said to stimulate the lock.

Practically speaking, attention might be focused on the back, the front, or the middle of the perineum—or on more than one area at a time. To practice mula bandha you must learn to activate the perineum at its center.")  I find both really beneficial and do something daily to accompany the running.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Not sure that weight will have a lot of effect either way - as MsE says, it's all about the pelvic floor, which will have been stretched during pregnancy and labour. Loose PF muscles allow the bladder to tip, which makes it impossible to keep urine in when you put stress on the muscles (e.g. sneezing, coughing, jumping and as you have found, running).

If you google Kegel exercises, there are lots of online resources to help.

Always emptying your bladder before running, and finding the balance between enough hydration and too much will help.  As will running alone and getting your kit in the washing machine as soon as you get home.  Sometimes, you have to be pragmatic about these things......
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Agree Nessie! and might I add, avoid hot drinks just before running.  :#