What to do with valuables on race day?

What do you normally do with things like your phone, wallet etc? I've registered for my first half marathon and they have the usual bag storage area but recommend not leaving any valuables. I won't have anyone around to leave stuff with as it's away from home so I guess it's a case of leaving things in my hotel room, barring a credit card to use in the runners village immediately after the race. Would have been nice to call a couple of people immediately after but don't fancy idea of running with my phone in my pocket.
Tagged:

Comments

• I always leave my phone in the bag. It's my lookout if it goes missing - but that's so rare....

Just put it to airplane so its not ringing. 

As to the wallet - well yeah just take a card out with you.
  • Careful cougie, stu might be a robber... doing some market research  ;)
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'd keep your car key on you.  Put it in a small ziplock bag to keep dry.  Most running shorts have a pocket just about big enough.  Nothing worse than losing that at the end of a race.
  • ness3ness3 ✭✭✭
    If I'm not with my OH (he usually supports me at races), then I lock everything in the car and put key in pocket in shorts. I'd think that most race bag stores would be safe though.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    I bought a Spibelt about 4 years ago and it carries a phone, keys and a credit card wallet without any bother. It fits snugly around the waist and is unnoticeable whilst on the run.
  • I use a flipbelt for carrying phone / keys / other small items when training but haven't yet in a race situation.  It is quite thick material so I tend to sweat under it in warm weather but it works otherwise for me. 

I generally take as little as possible to a race in terms of valuables.  Never for example a wallet but just some cash and some sort of ID or driving licence / travel card depending how I'm getting there.  Not having too much money with me and certainly no credit card means I also can't spend too much money on things I don't actually need.. :)   

I tend to trust my fellow runners and generally leave stuff in my race bag - though not instantly visible.   I haven't lost anything yet.  (touches wood). Like above - If I have driven to a race I take my car key with me during the race.  
  • Flipbelt for keys, cards & phone.
  • I always like to either wear a bum bag inbetween my t-shirt and running vest, or wear a pair of running shorts with pockets.
  • I carry them around in a large safe on my back. ;)
  • I keep my phone in arm strap thing, try to get someone to give me a lift there so I don't have car keys to worry about and I'll leave my cards and stuff with them. If not then either pockets or the belt round my waist.
  • Haha - you said Fanny !
  • Just leave your bags in the baggage area if it's at a race - there's usually someone there, very unlikely anything will get swiped..Never realised people actually race with their valuables on them! Or at least put the wallet/phone in a shorts pocket or stick it down the bottom of the bag

I got my phone stolen at a track meeting in Mile End - that's a bit different, my fault, should have used a locker, plus anyone could walk in and out of the track too.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just leave your bags in the baggage area if it's at a race - there's usually someone there, very unlikely anything will get swiped..Never realised people actually race with their valuables on them! Or at least put the wallet/phone in a shorts pocket or stick it down the bottom of the bag

I got my phone stolen at a track meeting in Mile End - that's a bit different, my fault, should have used a locker, plus anyone could walk in and out of the track too.

Well, people of your pace don't, that's for sure!

I keep my keys on me.

At one race, when my little pocket broke just before the start, a guy suggested that I just "Throw it in the bushes", and it'd be "fine".

I carried them. Just a 5k.

I have seen people hide their keys on their wheels, or in random bushes though. Sooner them than me!

• Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭
    I know someone who did (I think) a 10k in Monaco a few years back. She said everyone left their bag at the side of the road and picked them up after the race.
  • I always use a belt for my things.
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    For races I've always left my phone, wallet, keys in my bag in the baggage area. I've always trusted that my bag will be safe.
    I'e never heard of anything going missing, but I guess there's always a chance. 
  • Idle question out of interest:  do UK races never provide a drop-off for valuables?  I understand it with the big events with 000s of runners but here (Switzerland) at smaller races it is a service which is almost always provided.   You put your things into a plastic bag onto which your start number gets written, do your race and then afterwards go back with your start number to collect your stuff.   Maybe it is due to the fact that for the vast majority of races you have to pick up your number on the day so they need facilities for that and providing an extra desk / corner for the valuables and someone to watch them isn't a big thing. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hazel - I've done a lot of races and only one race that I went to last year offered a safe keeping for car keys.   Races here will offer baggage storage but at runners risk, in the same way that cars parked are at owners risk in any car park.   It would be a minefield re insurance and liability to offer secure services for valuables.   Here in the UK the race permit provides the insurance required for a race, it doesn't cover runner's personal belongings, up to the runners to have their own insurance.   Personal belongs are usually covered by your home contents policy or your travel insurance if travelling abroad.

I usually leave my valuables in my car and run carrying my car keys.   If I have to use the race facilities for baggage storage then I don't put valuables in there, maybe a small amount of money for coffee post race. 
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    I put mine in a bum bag....plus I can keep. My Fruit Pastilles on there at the same time 😉 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I remember keeping some sweets in a pouch once.

Dissolved into a sticky frothy mess in no time at all!