Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck at the Fizz, Leslie.

Sounds like a nice waker-upper in the lake SJ. Brrr!!

Got my longer run for the week done last night in order to free some time on Saturday for the World Champs.
    15 miles on the trails again at 8.10 pace. A nice follow-up to the quick 5 on Monday and well over a week to my next LSR which should see me nicely recovered.
  • Too wet today. Moved my planned rest day from Friday to today. Hope those going to the champs tonight get a good race with Mo. Always a bit of a worry with the heats of the 5000m as they can become a two part race with a bunch out front taking it easy and the real action going on behind.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - Nice training again and good planning ahead of the worlds at the w/end.

Leslie - Fingers crossed your patience pays off and you are back soon.

Half marathon training run tonight in the pouring rain and wind completed in 1:35:47. Steady but comfortable pace. Ran with a quick friend and 5k of it was off road with a few steep hills. Pretty pleased with that run and starting to feel fit. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Wicked skills, GM.  B) 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    10k recovery plod tonight in 55 mins. Lovely and sunny for a change. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A leg trasher tonight. Being short of time this week I needed 10 miles so did a 6 miler at 6.55 pace before a track session. 

Intervals at the track were 1 mile reps at sub-6 pace with 2 min recoveries. Did them all at 5.5x but it was tough after the extended warm up. 

My legs were a bit shaky at the end but it was a quality session.
    Legs don't like me at the mo.  :|
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - Quality reps! You and I are keeping the thread alive at the minute.
  • G-Dawg said:
    A leg trasher tonight. Being short of time this week I needed 10 miles so did a 6 miler at 6.55 pace before a track session. 
    Never sure if that is a good plan or not (which means I think it is not a good plan). To be more precise, if you have a training plan then you need to stick to it. If the plan says track session then that deserves full attention. If the plan says X miles for the week then do the X miles. Life gets in the way of all plans, so e.g. Wednesday it chucked it down and I had the CNBA fairy on my shoulder so didn't run, and today I need to get out and find my lawns as the grass is now a meadow so that is 2 days off this week and 18 miles so far. My plan is for 40 miles a week so 22 over tomorrow and Sunday is easy but it does mean a hard parkrun tomorrow can't be attempted.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    As I make up my flexible own plans, I guess last night was in plan!  :D

There was method in the madness in that my longer run this week was only 15 on Tuesday and I saved some of the 6 mile segment energy knowing I had the track session to do and had the comfort that it's easier running at quicker pace on the track.

One thing about this particular campaign is that I'm listening to my body more and binning runs if I have too much fatigue. Previously I've felt invincible and then caused an injury by being stupid.

In general this campaign comprises slow trails (all over 8 min pace) and midweek work of hills, steady, tempo and track depending on work/life commitments. 4 or 5 runs and about 40 miles per week. So far so good.
  • G-Dawg said:
    Never sure if that is a good plan or not (which means I think it is not a good plan).  My plan does mean a hard parkrun tomorrow can't be attempted.
    So ignore all of what I say. Rolled up to parkrun with a plan to run somewhere between 20 and 21 (I paced 21 last week and it was easy but haven't gone sub 20 since mid-May) and I started sensibly for the first couple of hundred metres. Our parkrun is in a long, narrow park so starts towards one end and heads out to the end, then goes up and down the full length twice before doing the bit to make up to 5k. This means you get sections of almost 1k in the same direction and today the wind was a headwind on the first up section. I decided to make use of those around me and closed in on the group ahead of me and took shelter. Got to the turn at the top of the park and the next 2km is sheltered in trees. I was passing the usual fast starters but was also up with a few guys who I used to beat but have been beating me recently. Let the legs turn over at the pace they wanted to and found I was pulling away from them. One came back and passed so now I was the filling in a sandwich with a rival ahead to chase and a rival behind chasing. The guy ahead (ahead by maybe 20 to 30 metres) was slowly passing those ahead of him so I just followed his lead and we moved through 2 or 3 runners nicely. Got to 4k and now running the section in reverse had a tail wind where it previously was a headwind. By now, the legs were saying it was time to go slower but all thoughts of an easy one had gone so I pushed hard. Got to the bottom end of the park and two guys were behind and closing fast but didn't have enough left to overcome the final burst I put in. Retched on the line but it all stayed down. 

19:42, happy with that. Best this year is 19:33 so need to get back down to that and then set out getting down to low 19s.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hello peeps.  A quick read back confirms you are all going strong.  Power to the thread (insert fist bump).  

Good to read the hamstring is holding up for you, Birch.  About time.  Hope you can start to build back up.

Lorenzo - nice to see you running with (after?) Junior.  

Excellent midweek tempo, GD.  Good to hear you are taking it cautiously and listening for warning signs.  Would be a shame to succumb to injury when you have obviously got yourself nicely fit.

Gerard - marathon training seems to be going well. Enjoy Majorca.  I hear the running (and biking) is excellent out there.

Leslie - yay!  Progress.  Are you staying sane?

SJ - all this swimming is obviously keeping you super fit.  Is the hip bothering you?

PMJ - great time at parkrun; no surprise the speed is there.  That trail running has certainly rejuvenated you.  

Keeping things ticking over here. Went to cross fit this morning and then hopped on the treadmill.  I have now built up to 5 min blocks of running off 1 min and today felt brave enough to try a 15 min continuous block.  Oooof! I am so unfit.  The ankle felt excellent.  The lungs less so.  
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hmm, lost some of my post.  I also commented on GD's decent paced MLR and track work, plus Gerard's HM.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PMJ - Good parkrun. Sub 19:30 next and then quicker. Local 23 year old won ours in 15:12 this morning for a new course record. 

MsE - Good news the the ankle. It won't take too long before you get your running legs back. Thanks, we fly out direct on Wednesday. 

21 miles for me early in the pouring rain and into a strong headwind for the 1st 8.5 miles then onto the trail path up hill for about 2.5 and back down. Felt tired by mile 14 and plodded on to finish strong on an uphill section. 2:44 time on feet and 61 miles for the week. Rest tomorrow. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gdawg your campaign is going well so I wouldn't be too worried about the plan.
    PMJ glad you are getting some of that long grass cut on the far side of the hill , time to drag yourself back up again ! Nice sub 20.
    MSE excellent news on the ankle. I'm staying sane yes but the cnba fairy has set up home now and If I hadn't paid my accommodation for Dublin already Id probably can it !
    Gerard nice 21 your flyin' again.

20 mins on the stepper xtrainer thing this morn after nights , 3 mile walk this evening.

• Hey MsE - hip is goosed I'm afraid 
    Moderately uncomfortable if I don't do anything at all, a bit easier if I bike and swim regularly, horrible if I run. 
    Good news on your ankle! :) 

Rehab on track then Leslie?

Solid LSR and week there GM. 

Well done on a sub20 PMJ - lots more to come I'm sure 

I like the sound of your campaign GD

A nice couple of swims in Windermere the last 2 days - one in the rain yesterday in a deserted lake and one this afternoon on the sunshine dodging canoes and paddling tourists.
    Tti bike session tomorrow morning - zoooom 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Just back from Ibiza so need a proper read back. I kept up the miles on holiday but have gained about 5lb in weight.
    Just wanted to say well done PMJ, that's a massive step up in your 5k pace- great effort sir. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Chapeau for GD, GM and others doing serious training in what should be the height of summer. You'll be on the money when it cools down in the autumn.

Nice park running by PMJ. I was handing out the tokens y'day, you really get to see the effort that even the slower people are putting in on the uphill muddy finish.

SH any more psycho bird encounters?

Busy week here, trying to get fit again so 25m run, 55m road bike, 31m MTB and aiming for 8m kayak later. Beats working anyway.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Excellent mix of training. Enjoy the kayaking, sounds fun! 
  • Any thoughts on what the minimum is needed for a casual off-road marathon? I'm thinking of doing the Chiltern marathon, http://www.chilternmarathon.org.uk, simply because it starts and ends a couple of miles from me and is on paths I regularly run on. It costs £5 or £7 on the day (probably works out cheaper on the day by the time you use two stamps). I did 14.88 today in a shade under 2 hours and would plan on doing the 26 in round about 4 hours so way easier than today. I am confident I can do a 20 off what I did today, so does it make sense to do a 20 or just go out and do the full 26? 
  • Just do it PMJ and run to feel and enjoy it - the off road events give you a bit of an excuse to run within yourself and flex the effort up and down according to terrain rather than sticking to a metronomic pace. 26 will be no problemo.

Poacher, "psycho bird encounters" - hmmm,  I'm very tempted to make a joke there but will pass on it.  Drama free for the past week, however I'm still not entirely relaxed in the water - post traumatic swimming disorder....

Super fast blast out on the tri bike this morning - PB fest with long sections holding at 25-27mph. She's now all packed up in the bike box  :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Been a while since you did a marathon PMJ- must be tempting to go all the way.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    PMJ - Given the location, low cost, familiarity, no time pressure, etc, it would be rude not to. Something new and all and you seem to take great pleasure out of running, purely for the sake of it and enjoy taking in the surroundings, sounds ideal. Put your Nike's on and just do it! 

OO - Welcome back. Good holiday? 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    OMG!! I have had the best two nights at the World Champs!

Witnessed 5 out if our 6 medals including the amazing mens 4x100 which saw us take gold and Bolt hit the deck.

So proud of our athletes! B) 

Managed a pair of 5 milers on each day. One on the trails at 7.20 pace and the other on road at 6.48 pace.
    Drank far too much lager as well. That's why (and lack of talent) I'll never be elite!!  :D
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Hi folks. My holiday is officially over and it's back to work today. Pleased to see some good training going on.
    GM - great 20 miler and good tally for the week (week before last?!) Good steady HM training run too. Solid long run again last week and cranking up the mileage.
    Birch - encouraging mileage.
    Lorenzo - glad the canoeing went well.
    GD - nice 18 off-road miles and tempo run. Not surprised your legs were complaining after those intervals!
    Leslie - nearly time to hit the road again?
    PMJ - good parkrun. Probably don't need to do a 20 miler if you're only aiming on taking it easy for the mara.
    MsE - building up nicely.
    SJ - watch out for those canoes!
    OO - nice holidaying.
    Poacher - nice variety of training.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Gul, now get training. Oddly, MrsP and I were driving past Stratford the other day so I "entertained" her with tales of the dull marathon...only to find that the satnav took us right past the entrance to the Raceway
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your hip Slokey. Is it likely to be long term, or just a short rest from running.
    Poacher I assume you kayak in the sea. Been thinking of treating my self to one- ideally light enough to carry 200 meters from my house to the beach. Do you have any recommendations?
    The holiday was great Gerard, except for drunken revellers still going home every morning when I was out for my early morning run- not a great display. Mostly Brits in their 20s. No chance I'll go back to that part of Ibiza.
    GD I agree about the athletics. Glued to the TV the last few nights. Has helped me re-engage with the sport I love.
  • OK - time to get posting on here after a week of amazing athletics. Like G-Dawg I was at the evening sessions on Saturday and Sunday and words really can't describe it. After the disappointment of Mo "just" getting a silver, to see the women's 4 x 100m relay team take silver and then the men put in a stunning performance was just amazing. And then almost the same last night - wow!!!

Hats off also to Hellen Obiri for a stunning bit of 5000m running and Castor Semenya for a demo of how to run an 800m. We were on the top bend so had a great view of the high jump competitions (as well as the PV from earlier in the week), but with the aid of the trusty binoculars the discus and javelin also came into sharp focus.

As we were walking back to get the tube last night, it felt a bit like we'd come to the end of a holiday with a bucketload of wonderful memories.

Talking of holidays, we're off today for nearly 3 weeks in the States, including rafting down the Grand Canyon and hiking in Yellowstone. To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement - I've been getting excited ever since we started planning it!!! Running kit is all packed and the challenge is to go for a run in as many different states as possible - I've worked out we're staying in 5 different ones. :)

No surprises to see some great running going on here. The sub-1:36 half marathon with off road stretches in wind and rain from GM was pretty darned good and delighted to see MsE making good progress.

Impressive cross-training from Poacher and worth "I'm never running another marathon again" PMJ's comments are duly noted.

Welcome back from your holiday Gul - hope you had a good one.

In between the champs, I've managed to get out for a few runs this week including a track sesssion (6 x 600m) on Thursday evening - or one reason or another I hadn't been to a track session for a few weeks so I was a bit short on pace, especially in the last few but they averaged out at 5:30 pace so not too bad.

41 miles in total for the week, plus 24 on the bike yesterday morning.
  • Sounds like a fantastic trip Lorenzo! Have a great time!

Damage is permanent OO so regretfully hanging up my trainers (or maybe ceremonially setting fire to them) after my last run on 9th September 

Enjoyed watching bits of the world champs this weekend- amazing 4x100 - the fact they were so happy made it even better :) 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - have a great holiday - sounds exciting!
    SJ - sorry to hear 9th Sep will be your last run.
    Poacher - you weren't tempted to nip in and do the odd few laps then? And yes, I have been training. Last 2 weeks:
    {10/7:28, 4/8:54, 11/8:13, R, 6/8:48, 14/7:47, R} & {R, 8/8:52, 11/8:11, 7/8:33, 10/6:55, 14/8:24, R}
    And this is the result of my XT. Just needs some plants now!
    Just 6 miles this morning as I'm planning on running to work and home again on Weds.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Nice one Gul - if the pond is deep enough you can do lots of lengths (remember to duck under the bridge) and become a triathlete. What are you aiming to plant up the trellis?

My last post was half eaten, the baby cormorant was a beautiful thing to see from the kayak. OO - mine's an inflatable for use on rivers/lakes/canals, great for e.g. Derwentwater. I'd think very carefully before taking an inflatable on the sea.  For simple leisure use, a sit-on-top might be the one for you. However even the lightest rigid kayaks weigh approx. 18kg so aren't great to carry.  Some have a built-in wheel so can be pulled like a suitcase. Or you can use a small trailer. Or develop big biceps.