Newbies 2

Comments

• mharfmharf ✭✭
    Not sure how many I have made now
  • Im just here dying for a drink is that awful 
  • Really stupid question. I can reply to forum posts but I can't see how to create them (at least I could cretae 2 years ago but can't now). Where is the "new topic" button as it doesn't appear on my screen anywhere?
  • Ignore. The very act of typoing this post meant the new topic button appeared!
  • CaustyCausty ✭✭
    Why a random figure like 9 posts ? I can understand to stop people just spamming but hell threads like this become a long list of Post , post 2, post 3 ... :S .... when most people come for advice and feel awkward already then they initially have to make a nusance of themselves to post anyway :S strange ... I'll try to find some proper threads to post on ot just spam in a few days LOL
  • CaustyCausty ✭✭
    If nothing else .. can anyone tell me where I can find good advice for some one starting out completely ? I mean I dont think I have run since I was at school and I find the pain in my shins very off putting
  • Hi Causty

I was just like you 2 years ago, and now I would run every day if I could. Running can change your life for the better. There are lots of places to start, you could download the couch 2 5k app to build up your base fitness. If your shins are hurting it is important to go to a running shop and buy some proper trainers- they will have a treadmill they can put you on briefly to analyze your gait. It is critical you get the right running shoes- expect to spend £100.

I wrote a book about my first 18 months of becoming a runner and everything I learnt.

Don't be afraid- just go and do it!

Good luck

Jake
    Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59
  • I just created an account to post a question, but I can't start my own thread. Really annoyed by this, so I hope that someone can help me out here.

I am following the training plans that I found over here: https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/beginners/how-to-start-running-today

They have served me really well and I'm about to get started with the final plan (Get Faster), but I don't understand the speedwork sessions that happen to Thursday.

The sessions I'm confused about happen on: Week 2, Week 4, Week 6, Week 7 and Week 8.

If someone can explain to me what am I supposed to do, I would be really grateful.

Thank you for reading.
  • Not sure how to start a thread so thought I'd piggy back on here.

Not really new to running but need to start running again. I've always loved treadmills with a tv to watch or trail running because it keeps my mind busy as opposed to road running \ listening to music.

I'm looking at working my way up to a 5k over 7 weeks

The biggest problems I will have are:

1) Motivation

2) Getting to a place where I can just put my trainers on and go running on the streets (like normal people do lol!)

Tips on both would be absolutely brilliant and most welcome! :smile:
  • I started running last September 2016 at the same time I joined Slimming World and since then have lost 3.5 stone in weight. I have never been a runner although I have dabbled in the activity whilst playing football. Since taking running up I started on a treadmill in my garage managing 3k in about 28 minutes upto 6k in an hour and am now achieving 5k in 46 minutes.

I have since started running on the road and managing 3k in 25 minutes and 5k in 43 minutes so as you can see my time has improved even though road running is not as easy as the treadmill. On the road I am not always able to complete these distances without walking and at times I find breathing hard. I suppose I should state that I am on beta blockers for a heart condition.

Therefore, my million dollar question is, does running get any easier and will I start to enjoy it.

Many thanks
    Branchman
  • Hi Branchman and Stevey T,

Yes running gets easier, but only if you do it regularly. The bear minimum you should run is 30 min three times a week. After 4-8 weeks your body will start to adapt and you will start looking forward to getting out.

I have three young children so finding time to run can be a challenge. I often run in the dark- 10-11pm once the kids are in bed. Lunchtime at work is a good hour to use. I never thought I would be an early riser, but now I even wake up at 7am at the weekend and do an hour and a half before breakfast.

I had never run 3 years ago and now it is part of my life and I love it. I recently trained with UK athletics to be a qualified coach... Just stick with it and run when and where you can- it can change your life too!

Good luck!

Jake

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • stu1970stu1970 ✭✭✭
    I've just got back into Parkrun this year as part of a health drive. Ran first 10k a couple of weeks ago and have booked in for a half marathon in October. 10k wasn't any official race, just did couple of extra laps of local Parkrun course. Strangely felt pretty good at end of it but thought I'd stop rather than pushing it. Another odd thing was feeling fine the next day but legs feeling really tight the day after.
  • Hi Stu- that is normal, it is called DOMS- Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness. It is just the lactic in your muscles and should clear after your next easy run or a couple of days. Good luck with the half- make sure you don't up your milage too quickly and pick up an injury.

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Hi all,

I recently ran a half marathon in 1:43.59. This was largely a trail run and I had done a reasonable though not enormous amount of training. I have run a full marathon before (London) and really enjoyed the experience but shin splints in the lead up meant I really wasn't in great shape and managed to complete it in 4:50:00.

I'm planning on doing Paris 2018, I've heard it's flat(ish) and a good atmosphere - easy to get to from London and a great event.

What I'm keen to know is thoughts on what a reasonable marathon time would now be? I'm eager to train hard, I'm loosing weight slowly but surely although that's not a major objective tbh and I suppose I am moderately healthy. I'm 94kg 180cm 29 years old and at the moment I can comfortably run 30-40km a week, typically at 5mins per km. In short I am fairly fit but driven and looking forward to committing to a new goal.

Any advice around what an achievable time would be come April would be much appreciated. As a guide I am planning on training pretty hard, but I have no aspiration of going beyond the 'enthusiastic participant' level if that makes sense!
  • Hi Dave
    That is a good question.

First- you are a legend if you can even complete a marathon.

A reasonable time is purely down to how you feel. Sub 5h is amazing- 99% of the population couldn't do that.

You need to set realistic and achievable goals. The world record is just under 2h 3 mins- if you have that as your goal you are only going to be dissapointed. If you say- I did a 4:50 last time and if I train correctly for 12 weeks I could shave 20-30 mins off that time. Eventually you will be working towards a sub 4h and eventually sub 3h.

My first marathon was last year after only finding running two years before. I was aiming for a sub 3h, but I knew from my training that was the speed I was likely to complete it in.

If you think you have improved dramatically since your last marathon you can test your pace and get an accurate prediction of where you are by running Yasoo 800's:

https://www.runnersworld.com/yasso-800s

There are also online predictores where you can put in 10k/ half marathon times you have completed and they will give you an estimate marathon time.

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/rws-race-time-predictor

You can then put a programme together based on this as a goal time.

Good luck!

Jake

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Hi, I'm not really a beginner (I've ran 9 marathons), but I'm just really slow for a still (relatively) young male. Basically I spent much of my 20s doing a lot of working and travelling for work, and while I've got myself into a reasonable (still got a big mortgage!) financial position from it, and I'm happy with that, I'm not really as proud of my running achievements as I might be, because they're really rather slow. My fastest marathon was a 3:59:26, and fastest HM around 1:49.

I'm now 33, and got back into running a couple of times a week a couple of years ago. Back in April I signed up for Parkrun as a means of working on my 5k time, on the basis that I wanted something to build on. Get fast first, then build up. I ran about 25:30 first time, and set myself the goal of running sub-22 by the end of the year and sub-21 as a stretch target. I'm now down to 23:01 and have gone from about 96kg to 92kg as I'm aware that even though I'm 6ft 2 I need to get the weight down so am going for a measured approach alongside my running and some cycling.

I feel that I'm making progress toward the 5k targets, but really want to do better and frankly it is making me feel depressed, which is the opposite of what running should do! I have never reached out like this so please bear with me.

When marathon training I only ever got up to about 25mpw, what with work and all, and I guess that is the obvious thing to work on. Right now I'm doing about 3 runs a week, a 3 mile (or so) bit of speed work, a 5-6 mile long run, and the Parkrun on the Saturday where I go for my best 5k.

I don't really even know why I'm writing this as I guess the answer is 1. lose more weight and 2. run more miles, I just don't feel satisfied and while I'm motivated to do better I just don't feel like I'm ever going to do a much faster marathon or HM. I guess my goals for those would be 3:30/1:30, but I just feel a long way from that right now.

Other than run faster and weigh less, is the general approach of concentrating on 5k pace to set a base, then rebuild the distance, the right one?
  • Hi Huzzer

Don't despair- there is a lot you can do. Firstly it is great you are out there doing 3 runs a week, and a sub 4h Marathon is an amazing achievement.

I went from zero training to sub 1:30 half in 18 months, mostly training only three times per week. I started at 40, so you have a few years on me. I started at 73Kg so that gives me an advantage (I am 5ft 10).

Sounds like you have some structure and variety to your training, but if you are at a plateau you need to switch things up.

1. Trying for a 5k PB every week is not going to help. I would go for one a month at most. Training effect has 2-3 week lag. If you go and do a hard interval session your muscles develop micro tears. These grow back stronger and it takes 2-3 weeks for this to happen. If you do hard intervals or hills on Tuesday, by the park run on Saturday you muscles haven't recovered and your legs won't be fresh for a PB...
    2. 5K training is very different to marathon training- so it is a good approach to focus on short distance for a while to improve your speed. However, if you want to focus on weight loss you will need some longer runs and 10k-half marathon plans will give you more of this.

I lost about 6kg in 18 months, a lot of this was due to training in the evening so I was drinking alcohol 3 nights per week instead of 6.

I would suggest trying to get your long run up to 10 miles, or at least run for a longer period of time 1 and 1/2 hours. Keep it easy and build up the miles slowly. Use your garmin to keep your pace steady at a minute or two slower than your 5k pace. - You are currently at 4:36 so around 6mins per K depending on how you are feeling.
    Try and sprint the last 500m so you learn to finish strong.

Once every 10 days do some hard intervals and really push yourself start with 4x 400m with 4 mins recovery in between and over the weeks build this up to 6x 400, 4x 800 2x 1600 and over time reduce the rest period.

Mix up other runs with some hills, fartlek and tempo keeping 75% of your weekly miles at your easy pace.

After my first 18 months of running I was so inspired I wrote a book on my experience. :smiley:

I recently qualified as a coach and I am training for a 10k.

Good luck- you can go faster, just train right and keep injury free.

Jake

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Hi all, also trying to find the new thread button! Is there a certain post count before it appears?
  • Still no post button :s
  • Got it! Sorry about that o:)