Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Well the results came in from the midweek race 17.45 officially and 1st v45, so that's a small consolation. Not sure whether they award prizes, nothing mentioned on the race entry form so I think not. Poor pot hunting skills there. If something comes through the post I shall update the thread but otherwise my sole claim on the TTT this week will be my parkrun first finish this morning in 18.00 officially but actually 17.59 on the watch.

I stayed ahead of a man with a lovely border collie for much of it until he tried to catch me towards the end. I was feeling rather knackered (ran last night) but when the collie was right at my heels, I decided I was having none of that and finished the last 300m around 5 min/mile pace with a 1 second margin of victory. 

• Options
    DT. That's shameless advice but noted in case!

i have done 60k last week and 68k this week including a park run of 22:39 and 10 mile race (hilly and hot) in 82 mins. Feel a long way from prime fitness but that's 1,600km for the year so far. 

Back to NZ in 10 days for a week to pack up all things and then back to the UK on the 9th I think. 

Hipe all are well even if running is not top of the the to-do list 

Thanks for the Bham course info.  The half starts at 2:00pm approx I think, so all the marathoners have finished and toilets cleaned
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Nice oe, muddy. Shame there wasn't prize.

RAH - good to see you getting back in to it. I'm sure it won't be long before you're back to prime fitness.

I feel like I'm starting to get back in to the swing of things with an undulating parkrun on Saturday morning in 19:25 which I was pretty pleased with. Will have a steadyish week before racing the steam train on Saturday.  

• Options
    Tommy - are you doing Race The Train in Wales?  If so, it's a great race. There is a section after 7 miles which is just slow going on narrow sheep trails and up to the quarry. Once clear of that, it's 10k across fields and up one real horror of a hill before getting onto the road to the finish (1 mile). You need 1:48 maximum so stay near the front. It will get crowded but it's one of the best events I've ever done. Of course, if it's not the race I describe, feel free to ignore
  • Options
    Hi Alehouse - thanks I almost certainly will message you but I've got private health with work so just getting my doctor referral lined up first to see if I can save a bit of money.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Richard - Yep that's the one. I've heard the course is pretty challenging. I'm aiming for 1:45 which is 7:30 min/miles which doesn't sound too challenging but given the elevation gains and the cross country nature of the course, I reckon it will be a bit of a stretch. From the online description you need to be well ahead of the train at the half way point as the second half is tougher, so will go off a bit faster to try and get a bit of time in the bank and also hopefully avoid getting stuck behind people on the narrow sections.   
  • Options
    Well done on the parkrun Tommy, and the kilometrage Richard.

I did 53 miles last week with around 7 miles of quality. The increased mileage is starting to bite - I was too knackered to do much more quality than that.

I was curious about Race the Train and looked at last years results - I can see a couple of sub 1.15 half guys from the West Midlands in there running 1.32/33  :o
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Muddy - that sounds about right, the general consensus seems to be you need to be able to do 1:27-28 for a road half marathon in order to beat the train, so I am going to be right on my limit.  
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Hello, everyone but especially Richard: welcome back!  Is that a Brentrance?

Sorry to read of your setback, Skinny.  Hope you get a diagnosis and a speedy, effective cure soon.

I've not posted for a while as I've mainly been doing eccentric heel drops and short slow runs on alternate days.  I did walk two sections of the Cotswold Way but I certainly haven't been trying to race the local trains on the West coast main line. Good luck with your challenge, Tommy!

After nothing but easy running since early April, I tried a baby session yesterday in anticipation of a possible Edinburgh parkrun in the near future.  I planned to do 3 x 600m (off 90s) at 5k pace but I was prepared to bail out at any sign of trouble.  It felt hard, and I very much doubt I could maintain the pace for anything like 5km, but I finished successfully.  Mean pace was 4:14 per km, which is faster than my pb pace :)  Achilles was a little tender to the touch afterwards but reponded well to some firm self-massage and feels ok this morning.  Fingers crossed.

• Options
    Tommy it's really dependent on the weather in the weeks leading up to the race. It's 80% off Road and if it's been a wet summer, it's a mud fest. You need to get to the front on the road section at the beginning. There are narrow paths when you get off the road and you need to be at your pace rather than stop starting.  After the half way point, you climb up about 15 metres and run along a single track path. I got stuck at this point and dropped to 12 minute miles. After you get out the quarry, it's cross country for a bit and then back through a farm, onto the road for a mile to the finish. So i agree that a sub 90 half is about right. Don't worry about the train going past on the first half. It stops for 15 minutes to turn around and that's normal to be behind up to half way. Good luck, I have managed 1:57 at best and that was in muddy, windy conditions. Great fun though. 
  • Options
    Glad it's working out for you Pete, good luck with Edinburgh parkrun. Are you participating at or just visiting the festival ?

Nearly 8m at marathon effort last night, the kind of benchmark run I do fairly frequently after a 48 hour rest period  Anyway this one came out at 6.38 min/mile. I had thought I was in slightly better shape than that. My watch seems to have lost records of the last two so I can't determine if I've slipped backwards. A glance back at the last one that I did pre-London shows 6.23 min/mile for the same effort. I'll do roughly one of these a week in the run up to my Sept/Oct halves.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Thanks, muddy.  Just visiting.  Will be participating at Oxjam in Beeston mid-October though :) 
    There are many variables that can affect heartrate/perceived effort so I wouldn't be too despondent about a single below par run.  Of course, to a mere mortal, 6:38 per mile would be 3k pb pace!
    Are you aiming to do Lancaster half again?
  • Options
    Yeah, I know Pete, I'll track how those runs go over time. I'm suspecting a low grade virus is affecting me at the moment but worth tracking these training benchmarks, with notes about any unusual conditions. Certainly the 2 5ks last week were below par compared to the 17.58 5k at threshold I ran a few weeks back.

Funnily enough while out for an easy 7m at lunchtime, as I was running down a leafy walkway I was thinking about the Lancaster half.  I'm booked in for a local race the week before, so it's looking a little unlikely at this moment in time, and both possibilities will depend on childcare plans - it's a long way off to know for sure. How about you ?
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Lancaster is a happy hunting ground for me and I would like to try a half but I'll have to see how Edinburgh parkrun goes.  Would love to be able to ramp up the training again. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I am now back from holiday, having landed in the small hours last night. Had the morning off so got up, did a 10 miler then in work for 1pm.

Managed to run about 40 miles in the 2 weeks away, but seemed to go a lot quicker than I normally would, which I quite enjoyed. It's more running than I thought I would end up doing, which is good. Don't feel like I have put a great deal of weight on either, by the fit of my clothes.

I shall do some reading backwards in a bit.

• Options
    Hi Pete - did the BP settle down?
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Hi, Skinny.  It seems like the tablets are keeping it under control, thanks.  No biggie. GP was much more concerned about it than I was.
  • Options
    marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. Long time no see

Skinny - still having a horrible time with a sore foot - how frustrating.  It's not well advertised but in some hospitals you can pay a fiver for a copy of your scan/xray on a disk, the same day the scan is done, even if you have to wait a while for follow-up consultation.

I am interested to hear about the magic Nike shoes, DT. What do they feel like?

I now have a nice fat hairy baby, a chip off the old block with short legs of impressive girth.  I gave up running at 30 weeks pregnant, when it became uncomfortable, and still have some healing to do before I can restart, so have not run at all for 3 months. The highest my HR has got in that time was probably watching the world champs 5K at the weekend, and I'm 5 or 6 kilos over racing weight. So the comeback will be hard work.. maybe McF has some words of wisdom?

• Options
    A big hairy congrats Marrows! 

p.s You made me wonder how Madbee is getting on. Hope all is well Madbee.
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Hello Marrows and congratulations.  Are you going to call the baby Courgettes or Zucchini?
  • Options
    Congratulations marrows!!!
  • Options
    Congratulations Marrows!!! Really pleased for you. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Congratulations, Marrows! Enjoy the tiny baby stage as before you know it they are ripping the house apart! I have only had the pleasure of wearing them for a 5 mile tempo a few weeks ago. Bascically they make you feel like you are slightly tilted forward and have this springy rebound effect. If ever you are in a childrens playground they often have these tiny trampolines embedded into the ground. It feels a little like running across one of those.

Going to pop along to parkrun in the morning as I have 3 miles at short tempo scheduled. Don't feel like I am firing enough to go full beans so going to aim for something around 19.45.

Good luck with the train racing, Tommy (I think that is this weekend?).

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Congratulations marrows!

DT - yep, it's this weekend. Setting off shortly. My mate is already there, he's sent me a message telling me to bring extra tent peg and loads of fortitude... Apparently the weather has been pretty bad there this week so that should make it even more fun.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Promising noises from Pete :-)

Congrats to marrows :-)

Ive finally managed to make an impact on the TTT other than weight .... 51 this week and still no racing as a V50 

edit - actually, weight will have dropped a bit but I can't be arsed to get on the scales 
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Parkrun in about 24:16.  Arrived rather late and had to make do with a 1km warm up.  Congested start and I just couldn't pick up the pace.  Good training run, I suppose, and pleased to have come through unscathed.  Need to push on with some hard training now (and shed a couple of kg).

Meanwhile, MsPete smashed it.  Accompanied by younger daughter, she knocked 90 seconds off her pb :)
  • Options
    Well done Pete, and family.

DT was special guest at parkrun this morning.  Adam Gemili was also in attendance :wink: I ran at threshold (in a fairly stiff breeze)  for 18.01 officially. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Pete. Decent effort. 

I did the same as Muddy and ran a progressive tempo, probably hitting threshold in middle middle mile. Splits went something like 6.32, 6.26 and 6.20 with a finish time of 19.34. Felt good and nice to end a parkrun not drowning in lactic acid and cursing why I was there. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Here's a nice picture of Adam looking like he has just got up. I post a group one of him and a few of us in middle ground.