Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Don't say that Birch- you are the backbone of the thread and we can't live without you. Performance level is almost irrelevant- it's the giant Oak behind the Birch!

Good to hear you are going well BB- what's the next mad exploit you have in your sights?

I had a parkrun dust up with Junior this morning and came off worst. Best I've seen her run in a while. I managed 18:38 in windy conditions and she was 2 secs ahead. I'm still pleased with my run- 3 weeks of 50+ miles is starting to pay dividends and I moved through the field from 20th to 14 in the last mile. Just need to sharpen up with a bit of speed work before GNR.

I've spotted a 10 mile race in Victoria Park London on the 8th October- if anyone fancies?    

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Bonjour from sunny Turkey! This is my current view:

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    It's quite tricky reading back on the phone (I usually use both laptop and phone to make sure I don't miss any of you out), so apologies if I overlook anyone.

Good to see you picking up after all,  OO. None of us doubted you would and I'm confident after some sharpening up you'll easily run 83 mins or less at the GNR. You've definitely built up the speed endurance. Junior is so lucky to have you pushing her along! 

He is right, Birch. You cannot ever leave. (A bit like that creepy line from Hotel California, you know?
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Noooo my post has disappeared. Sigh. In summary: good to see BB back winning and still racing, GD ticking over (but keep it just under where you think you can roll so you play it safe), and Gul's outstanding double LR. 

I'm up to 25 mins continuous running but still alternating runs with run-walks to ease the ankle into the pounding. A decent but hot hotel TM here to do the deed. More later! 

Bon journée! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Can you believe MsE is on holiday AGAIN
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Poacher nice cross training in the pond
    Birch you're running far more than me at the minute and I ain't even an old git (yet)just feel like one! Outrageous chat leavin' the thread !!!!!
    0054 I think you just let her win ! great parkrun.
    Badbark saw your pic on the podium ,great stuff.
    MSE going well now ,enjoy the sun.

1st run in exactly 4 weeks , 20 min easy to start the ball rolling again , so unfit now and had to go up a jean size due to stacking on too much timber ..went ok so far lol

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Birch – You have our permission to post on VoGit threads, but don’t you f-ing dare leave here! :smile:

OO – That’s a cracker Parkrun time in tough conditions. I’m sure racing junior helps!

MsE – You should always write your posts in Word, then copy and paste to the forum. That way nothing will ever get lost. It’s great to read your come back is progressing well. Enjoy your hol!

Leslie – Another runner on the comeback trail. Take it easy and don’t worry about your fitness level. Returning slowly is the way to go.

I ran the Dambusters HM today and was pleased with 1:27:16 on a very tough course. The starting point was over 350 ft lower than the finishing point with some rocky up and down trails too. There were some stunning views, and it was a really enjoyable race. I was 8th overall and 1st M45.

The overall race was won by Laura Graham (Marathon Talk 358), who is the Irish Marathon champion and mother of 4. That’s the first race I’ve ever run with the overall winner being a lady! Well done to her.

I’ve now 4 very tough weeks planned, before the taper to the Chester Marathon. I’ll be averaging about 90 miles weekly including two 10ks, a HM and marathon race at the weekends. Next up is the Carrickfergus 10k next Sunday.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    This is how hard I had to work Leslie.....
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Delighted to see you out even if it's only for 20 mins, Leslie. You will soon be back in gear. It's taken me 5 weeks to get to 30 mins which I did today on the hotel TM, huffing and puffing away.  

Huge congrats on the HM AG win, BB. I looked Laura Graham up and she is one of those annoyingly talented people who just takes up running and discover they are BRILLIANT at it.  So they come to marathons with lovely fresh legs.  I am doubly jealous because she is just 30 and isn't going to waste the next 10 years waiting to get stuck into running because of her kids. She is doing it now!  

30 min TM run. Core and strength work. Paddle boarding.  Pilates.  
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    OO - fabulous photo of you! You can see you are working hard but the face is nice and relaxed so all the effort is where it needs to be.  Were you pleased with the time?
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all

OO - the usual excellent parkrunning from you & junior  . . .

MsE - good t'mill running & multi-sports  . . .

Leslie - onwards & upwards now, & trim that timber !  

Badbark - great work on a tough course;  good luck with the planned training  . . .

10 yesterday & 6 today (tried strideouts, but hamstring still not playing ball) - 35 for week

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Interesting LSR on Saturday. 21 miles on the trails again but this time my legs didn't want to play. Cumulative training fatigue had kicked in and the last 7 miles felt like the end of a hard marathon. But that's OK, I always have one of these runs in a campaign and having previous experience of it helped to get through it. Just tappped it out and bagged the miles.

Did a 3 mile recovery run yesterday and that really did feel like I'd run a marathon the day before. Ouch!   :D

Quiet on here, hope we're all doing well and enjoying summer breaks.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GD - nice pace for your 8 miler. Well done toughing it out on the 21 miler.
    Badbark - amazing performance in the HM. You should be on target for a great race in Chester.
    Birch - pleased to see you have posted again! We definitely don't want to lose you on this thread. And good to see you're managing some decent mileage - sounds promising.
    OO - tidy parkrun.
    MsE - good dedication on the hotel dreadmill. Steady progress!
    Leslie - hurray! Good news.
    No running this weekend. Think I have a tooth infection and Mrs GD prescribed me lots of rest. Off to the dentist in a few hours time.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

We've all had runs like that GD- as you say, just bag the miles and wait for the fatigue to pass.

Yes MsE I was please with the time, but I'm targeting next Saturday to go even faster- closer to 18 would be nice.

I closed out a 50 mile week yesterday with 15 at 8:24 pace. I'll be cutting back slightly towards GNR but with a bit more quality and pace. 

Dentists are my dread Gul, hope it ends well! 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Pool running, Birch. Don't knock it till you try it. I'm reliably told Eilish McColgan does a large proportion of her mileage in the pool because her biomechanics easily lead to injury. 

GD - I reckon, a bit like in a marathon, those training moments are almost to be expected. You were due a difficult session after your succession of great runs. 

Gul - hope the toothache gets fixed soon. The MsEttes are going to red a dentist after this trip as they keep going to the free bar for Shirley Temples. Remember those? Grenadine syrup and lemonade (eek!)

Looking nicely on track to peak for GNR, OO. 

Rest prescribed for me today so I just did core work and yoga with a very short paddle boarding session (which I ended as it was so choppy it was making me seasick
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    35 mins today. My longest run of 4.19 miles since April!  It did require lots of running in circles around the hotel complex but it was much nicer than being indoors on a TM.  Rounded it off with core and upper body work and then a dip in the pool.  I am only just starting to feel like my old self again. Run-walking is great but it's the run-running that really hits the spot.  Hope you are all having a good start to the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see how you feel after 4 miles MsE. Was it easy, any soreness after?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    MsE - it's great to see you progress and gradually increase distance and time on feet. 

Nice 50 mile week there OO and a great picture tooI've only every done two of those but have hit over 50 in a 7 day period a few times. Knackering stuff! Seeing Badbark state he has a few 90 milers planned is beyond comprehension for me.  :#

Last night, despite massive mojo issues, I set out to do hill reps. However, during the warm-up mile I had an old knee problem come back. It's as if something is floating around the knee cap. It feels fatty and it almost did a full circle, like hands around a clock face during the run. I've had it before and it does settle down.

It was hurting more on inclines so I ditched the hills idea. I noticed the first mile was 6.48, so decided to see if I could do around 5 or 6 miles at that pace. All the time I had bail-out sections on the route if the knee played up any more.

It gradually got better and I managed 10k at 6.40 pace. Rescued a quality session without doing any damage. Funny how recovery runs work too. Did a little 3 miler on Sunday to shake out the 21 LSR from Saturday and it really did seem to do the job.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - nice miles. How many weeks till GNR?
    MsE - great news - that must have been a good feeling.
    GD - hope the knee is okay now. Good 10k training pace!
    Dentist prescribed me some anitibiotics and I am going back for an extraction in a few weeks. 11 miles this morning. Still got a bit of a temperature, so just recovery pace (8:47).
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Just went to make a cup of coffee and discovered that my White Peak marathon mug has been broken :( Oh well, I'll just have to run it again.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    OO54 said:
    Will be interesting to see how you feel after 4 miles MsE. Was it easy, any soreness after?
    I've been sat dangling my legs in the pool this morning while I finish my book in the hope it helps.

Sorry to hear about your bad tooth, Gul. Is this the first extraction or am I confusing you with another thread member?  

GD - you are in tip top shape so make sure you take it easy now.  No reward for heroics in training.  Try some easy aerobic miles that won't put excess strain on you while the knee settles down.  I bet your easy range is around 7-8min/mi now?  Better undercooked than overbaked.

Just had the sobering news my uncle has passed away.  He was always messing around when I was younger and I will forever remember him for his silly jokes.  
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sad news, MsE, sorry to hear that.  :(  Lovely memories of a nice man by the sound of it.  :|

You're right on the running front, paced a mate for 10 miles tonight. He's had a cold and is a little behind where I am right now, usually the same. We did 7.21 pace tonight on a very consistent run and it felt very straight forward. No knee issues at all and apart from feeling the last 3 days of running in my thighs in the final mile, it was nice that is felt comfy.

Rest tomorrow.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Cheers, GD.  There is not enough silliness in the world (and I don't mean the Trump sort). Sounds like a great 10 miler for the engine but gentle on the joints.  First consecutive run today - just 25 mins but it feels bl**dy excellent to run TWO DAYS IN A ROW!  I am hoping I am past the run walking now.  Then did 30 mins of core and glutes stuff.  We fly home tonight and I am looking forward to running on my usual routes.  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

MsE - sorry to hear your sad news. Treasure those memories. Have a good flight and enjoy getting back out on your familiar running routes.
    GD - sensible session - are you feeling okay?
    Another very slow run this morning. 7 miles @ 8:57 m/m. Probably need to keep it easy for the rest of this week.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all 
    sorry to hear of the tooth trouble, Gul, and worse, breaking the mug !!!  

GDawg - good solid training around the knee issue - nice work  . . .

MsE - consecutive days B)   !!   condolences for the loss of your uncle  . . .  

9 muggy miles with my pal this morn . . . . .
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    0054 looks like you are going nicely in the pic with good leglift .
    MSE
    sorry to hear about your Uncle 
    Gul toothache, nasty stuff indeed...and who broke your nice mug ? get the thumb screws out now !
    Gdawg your a machine these days !

Physio yesterday some resistance band exercises but no running as it rained non stop from about 2pm till 10pm last night  ..the last 6 hrs or so were biblical rain with regular thunder and lightening , the city was cutoff as all inroads were flooded ,couple of small bridges collapsed with the water and large chunks of road washed away....summers gone ! my daughter's summer club she goes to has been wrecked under a metre of water so on childcare duties rest of the month .

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Gul - if that is a roundabout way of challenging for another White Peak smackdown, you're on. Don't leave your chip in the clubhouse next time. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    BTW Gul MrsP says: persicaria, astilbe, dryopteris, carex elata aurea. And if there's a spot without full sun, hosta (not if you have lots of slugs). 

Talking about plants as I have been under the weather and not exercised much. Bah.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Evening all! Got back from Mallorca today after a fabulous week spent with my sister and her family. We were staying in a Finca up in the hills in the north of the Island and the wifi was poor, so wasn’t able to keep up on here. We had an amazing week, low to mid 30’s every day, just perfect. I went into total relaxation mode and sacked off the training for a week. I managed three runs without the vest and it was sooooo nice to run in that heat although trying to run fast was not an option. Training won’t resume properly until next week as I’m looking after my boy but I’ll be back doing 60 mile week’s next week. Just weighed myself and after all the eating and drinking I put on a half a kilo. So not bad really considering, didn’t drink during the day (never do on holidays) but had a few Cervezas and plenty of Rioja, so it was a lovely week of indulgence  Oh my, am I gonna miss swimming in the sea there, it’s unreal, so warm. My sister has recently taken up running and we went out for a run on my first day. It was 35c, I loved it but she was cooking but it was great to run together. Back to reality now and in work tomorrow. :( 

MsE – Sorry to hear about your uncle. Great news that you are running consecutive days, I’m so pleased for you, as I know you really love it. Nice to see you were on holiday too. How is it?

OO – Great action photo. Looking fit and solid mileage too. When is the GNR?

Birch – Great to see you getting some nice runs in.

G-Dawg – You’re in good shape. We all have those tough long runs in a campaign.

Gul – Sorry to hear about the tooth infection and the mug! Hope you get sorted soon.

Leslie – That sucks re the torrential rain. Hoping we get some nice weather for end of Aug and September.

Poacher – Get well soon! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for you MsE, hope the family and you are all coping ok .
    Great pic Gerard, GNR in 2.5 weeks
    Talking of smackdowns Poacher we might need one on the lakes soon. Just made a small purchase;