Correct cyclist vs runner road/lane behaviour.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I hate to break it to you Colin but nobody cares  :D
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Just nobody cares. The running on the road thing was worth discussing but now you're just rambling on about stuff. I can't even get past your first sentence so I think you should be more succinct with your drivel.
  • Colin - you're fighting a losing battle by lobbying on a forum of runners. Get a grip and make a legal movement and start an insurance firm if it bothers you so.
    Until then, we will continue practicing the sport of road running.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    That's right Colin, there's nothing you can do. Just today I ran a very busy road forcing three cars, a moped and a bus into a ditch. The authorities can't touch me because I have runner's immunity. And by God Colin I'll do it again. We wont stop until we've brought mayhem to the roads. We run where we like, when we like, and how we like. But you won't hear about the carnage in the media. And you know why? Because we're the running illuminati Colin. We own the media, the police, the courts, the insurers. Under every suit and uniform a pair of high split shorts. You can't win Colin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Near me, they have been relaying some old water/gas pipes on the main road into Reading.
    The utility company as well as the local Highways agency have laid on a perfectly acceptable detour on two way roads to avoid the traffic lights and lane closures. This detour adds perhaps a mile and a half to a 10-12 mile segment.

There is a narrow, single lane that connects two villages (more probably hamlets given the lack of houses, post offices and pubs).
    This road I often run on as it avoids the main carriageway and said two way roads before hopping back into the fields. 

Over the summer this small stretch has become a 'rat run' trimming the mile and a half detour to just under a mile, meaning that I have seen something like 100 cars on it in a couple of months as opposed to one tractor and one car in the past ten years.

Using Colin's logic, all these idiots behind the wheel should be bludgeoned to death with a worn out Asics for needlessly being where they don't need to be.
    There is a perfectly acceptable road (with traffic works) and a more than adequate detour with free flowing, albeit slower, traffic.
    Are they surely in such a rush to get to their destination and plan the next Governmental lobby?
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭

Go and ask seventy million people if they care. Then come back and write "nobody cares" when you've asked them and found no one cares.

I never imagined someone like you could exist Colin so I will  concede that there may be more out there.
  • > @"Colin McLaughlin" said:
    > (Translation: Now clique let's all pretend the idea of pedestrians being put under a legal responsibility for where they put themselves is just so absurd and laughable. Because there's a danger runners would have a responsibility and a legal liability and we wouldn't want that would we. So carry on pretending there's something wrong with this guy. Pile on the ridicule in huge amounts. Other people will fall for it won't they. Won't they? They won't see our dishonesty. No. Not if we all say the same thing. Pile it on. )
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Maybe there's someone from the insurance industry in the UK nodding and saying, yes we've missed this whole area completely. Why have we failed to put pedestrians under a legal responsibility and a legal liability in the UK for so long? They're "road users" too. Not just victims if there's an accident - often joint perpetrators of the situation.  Motorists and cyclists are entitled to see pedestrians put under a due responsibility for their own safety, and put under a liability if they don't (e.g. careless walking, like drivers are given a liability for careless driving). Let's get some legislation in place.

Fucking prick
  • I could have paid good money to see the Edinburgh Festival, but this forum is way funnier and free.
  • definite lack of good "discussions" on forum recently. Tuppence worth - I did a 15 mile road run down country lanes, no paths up North - saw about 4 or 5 cars, 1 tractor, loads of push bikes,  and 4 all terrain farmers go-karts. All polite - slowed down, pulled out and smiled/greated/waved. Felt safe as houses.
    Ran from my hotel in London. Not a smile or greeting or acknowledgement. A mile or so down the sidewalk and canal towpath - and pedestrians, often glued to smart phones, stopped suddenly, change direction without indicating, blocked me off, tripped me, barged me, formed 3 or 4 a breast human barriers - far less safe and more scarey.
    :-)
  • Colin... You've obviously got a grain of truth in your argument... that some runners are stupid, some are selfish.  But you keep avoiding some key points.

If you completely ban runners from roads, how DO you deal with runners who realistically need to run (or even walk) on roads to get from one off-road path to another?  If they are involved in an accident on this stretch, it will be hard for them to prove that they are not guilty of "Jogging without due care and attention"  or "Wanton and furious running" (or whatever law you'd introduce)

These country lanes were built for horses and carts... and pedestrians. You argue that runners have lots of other places to run... but why should they be moved off these ancient rights of way?  Equally, you could say that cars have got lots of other roads they could drive on (like motorways, where runners are banned)

What makes you think you've got the absolute right to drive at the speed limit?  The limit is a maximum allowable speed - but often driving even close to that limit would be simply impossible without killing yourself... or someone else.

You talked about a scenario where a runner is on a road, just round a corner with bright sunshine making it "impossible" for a driver to see them... but you think you should still be able to drive round that corner at 60mph.   OK...  so you don't care about killing a runner, because they are stupid for being there, but what if it's a young family in a small, dark, broken down car just round that corner.   Are you happy to kill them? Or maybe it's a stray bull... so are you happy to kill it and probably yourself?   Or do you think you should approach blind corners slow enough to be able to stop if no matter what hazard might be just out of sight?

You repeatedly belittle posters, saying something like "so you've asked everyone, have you?" when they've generalised about you or your views... but you've done exactly the same yourself many times.  For example, you've said that all drivers hate runners (or words to that effect) multiple times - which is clearly very very wrong!

The most dangerous drivers are not the youngsters who screech around the streets with wheel spins and excess speed - because generally, they are cocky, irresponsible but skilled drivers. Much more dangerous are the ones who think that drivers are kings of the road, too often drive up to the speed limit because "it's their right to do so" and who have an uncaring aggressive attitude to other (more vulnerable) road users. What really exacerbates the danger these drivers pose is that they see themselves as very safe behind the wheel.

Do you consider yourself to be a safe driver, Colin?
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    JC07 said:
    > @Colin McLaughlin said:
    > Maybe there's someone from the insurance industry in the UK nodding and saying, yes we've missed this whole area completely. Why have we failed to put pedestrians under a legal responsibility and a legal liability in the UK for so long?

Fucking prick
    And JC is Chair of the British Council of Insurers.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    There was a segment on BBC news a couple of nights back about fatalities on rural roads. This piece gives some interesting figures and details, albeit from 2015 https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/rural-road-safety-factsheet.pdf
    There is an issue here for debate (which no doubt has taken place on these forums before) about the responsibility of and safety issues for runners on roads. Albeit this thread is more about keeping Colin and ourselves entertained.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    +1 for what David J said
    I work and run in London and it's the cyclists and phone zombies that are the hazard.
    15 miles on country roads yesterday afternoon, 1 Tesco delivery van, one tractor, three bikes and a walker.
  • A quick Google comes up with 6 runners killed while out running in the last 2 years. 

That includes the two teenagers killed by a drunk driver in Aldershot. 

It also includes a lady who was crossing the road to get to a bridleway. 

Others died in city centres. 

No pedestrians have died from being hit by cyclists although more than 100 pedestrians were seriously injured in 2015. 

There must be thousands of people out running. 

Colin seems very selective in posting US clips...
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I knew the two teenagers in Aldershot, they were on a pedestrian crossing with a green man at the time.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I got buzzed and beeped at by a car while out running on a stretch of straight, wide and otherwise empty road yesterday. Just didn't like me being there. Only the third time I've experienced someone deliberately drive close. Once was a bunch of lads in a car, which was reckless bravado - from the revving engine and windscreen full of gurning faces it was pretty clear what they were gonna do. The other time was a driver so absurdly angry he swerved into me from the opposite side of the road whilst shouting abuse out the window. Weirdest thing was a driver who on an isolated road braked to a stop 50metres ahead and sat there until I was about 20m away when he put his full beams on. When I got level he sped off. Very odd.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I had to run on the road twice on Sunday as cars had parked on the pavement, blocking it entirely. On balance car drivers are much more of a nuisance than any other. I saw a guy driving behind a tractor as I was out cycling and he was full on smashing his horn continuously through a crimson strained face. If people behaved like that whilst walking in the high street they'd get clobbered.

This is the thing about drivers, they feel safe and cocooned in their cars. I reckon the way forward is compulsory convertibles for all. If people are move visible and accountable they tend to behave more reasonably.

Whilst out on my bike a few months back a car that had been stuck behind me for a while, when passing, stuck his arm out the window with his middle finger raised. Little did he know that he was heading towards a 20 minute traffic jam. So I stopped for a chat, he was with his mate, both about 18-20 years old and he was as quiet as a mouse whilst I started taking the piss out of him. It wasn't until I cycled off that he started getting lippy again.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Most of us are car drivers as well. I've found running and cycling on the roads has made me more sanguine and patient as a driver. The most shocking stuff I've seen has been other drivers take absurd risks trying to get past a slow vehicle, be it a bike, tractor, caravan etc. 

On the subject of redundant horn usage, funniest thing I saw was young man stopped at a junction as the local army regiment did their annual march through the city. He was going nuts sounding the horn and swearing at the unremitting rows of heavily armed infantrymen to get out of the way. Got arrested.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I find I am still a bit of a prick when I am driving  :D
  • This thread is pure gold.

I promise I won't shout you down Colin, you make me laugh so much.

Please keep it going.
  • Colin, imagine a world, just like this one but where cars have not been invented yet, roads exist for bicycles, pedestrians, horses and other non motorised vehicles though. Road deaths this year were 1, some idiot on a fixie hit another idiot who was looking at her phone instead of where she was going.

Now some bright spark has invented a motorcar and has just taken it out for a test run and on his third test run he hit a runner who tragically died. What would happen?

I'll tell you what would happen, the car would be banned from the roads because it was lethal and if he wanted to drive this contraption he would have to do so on his own race track, not on the roads because it was too dangerous.

The word would spread like wildfire because of modern communications and the evil car would never be allowed. It's a bit like if you raised a petition to copy the USA's gun policy and replicate it in the UK.

I know that last week you were allowed to go out at night in this rough area but we've just legalised guns so you better stay in because otherwise you'll get shot. 
    edited September 2017
    edited September 2017