P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• AWC - That's more like it!
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I'm back from Dublin and still in one piece, just!

I Didn't manage to get to Dublin parkrun. I packed my barcode but we were booked into a galic games activity at 10am so wouldn't be back in time

getting back into training has been a bit of a struggle but feeling ok now.

Have a marathon on Saturday (East Farm) but it will be done  as a training run. Only entered as my wife is doing the half and thought might as well do my long run whilst I'm there. It will be a good, last long run for my 50 miler on 16th September.

Welcome to Phil and welcome back to Muddy!
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Impressive training volumes Reg and Spoons. Hope it pays off.

Welcome back Muddy.

You must be getting sick of that loop Jooligan. Enjoy the last few days of your holiday.

Welcome Philip - sounds like you might be the one giving us advice but fire away with any questions. Going by what you've put in the sub 2:30 thread, you'll be getting the London qualifying time no probs.

21 miles whilst on holiday, very impressive SQ. I normally drop the mileage about 20 - 30% (or more if I'm particularly tired) and ease of the volume of the sessions about similar on cut back weeks.

HA - I had hoped to do Warsaw but unfortunately it has just come around way too quickly and I'm nowhere near ready. I have a stag weekend at the start of October and a wedding in the middle weekend so I'm not having much luck finding a race that fits. Currently looking at Valencia but if I don't manage to get one that works it won't be the end of the world. Hope your daughter is feeling better.

Sounds like a better target AWC.

Good luck for the marathon Millsy.

Made my return to club on Tuesday for the first time in months. It was my favourite session of 5 x 1 mile loop, unfortunately the coach decided last minute to change the location to the local track. 50 people of varying abilities doing mile reps on the track was quite a sight and i spent of my time in lane 3 or higher but got it done. Very tired legs so wasn't expecting great results but held it pretty steady around 5:30's. Garmin had it around 5 min/miles but there was no way I was doing that given how tired I was. Yesterday I planned a 14 mile MLR home from work but shortly after setting off realised I really couldn't be arsed so after some quick calculations worked out if I picked up the pace I could stop at 10 miles and catch an earlier train. Cue a progressive 'final' 5 miles culminating in a 6:15 then 6:10 last 2 miles. Only to get to the platform to watch the train disappearing off in to the distance.. Really need to work on my maths. Had a 30 minute wait until the next train so ended up plodding to the next station anyway and getting my 14 miles done.

Best laid plans etc.
  • Great track sessions Spoons, I think sub 80 is a very achievable target for you, and I think you'll get there sooner than you think.

Reg - huge day there; taking holiday from work to exercise is the way forward. Not long to go now.

Good to hear from you Muddy, as others have said, still posting some impressive runs. Good luck for the upcoming race.

Jools - enjoy the rest of your trip, always wanted to check out Shanghai. Might not be great for running though. Haha.

Welcome Phil. You're obviously quite the speedster. All tri talk is welcome here, we love it.

SQ - track situation sounds like a bit of a farce. Think I'd have just gone home, so to bank 21 miles instead is very impressive. Looks like you're hitting it hard at the moment, a cutback week will be much deserved.

HA - business as usual, nailing some hard sessions, don't worry about missing one now and then, your general condition is obviously pretty awesome at the moment.

Millsy - it would be rude not to I guess! I get jealous hearing about all your longer racing. Found myself tied up in a lot of bike training over the summer, looking forward to having some fun post Tenby and just entering things when I feel like it.

Alan - glad to hear you're back at the club. Sounds like life was telling you to run 14 miles - can imagine those last 4 were fairly difficult..

Lots of training this week, a real mix of swim, bike and run. I won't bore you with the details, strava can do that. I'll be having a crack at a parkrun on Saturday - will give it all I've got and see if I can get somewhere close to 17 minutes, we shall see. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Just pacing Katie around then?
  • She's got bigger fish to fry mate. Maidenhead half next weekend - I'll be playing the role of superfan. 

Assume no-one on here is going to be there? Reg?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    AWC: good shout.
    JB: best of luck for the 16:xx attempt
    Cheers Alan - kind of enjoying it in a strange sort of way but planning to venture outside the campus for a trail run to explore a path around the reservoir tomorrow which we found this evening. Didn't go all the way tonight as had a swim to do, beers to drink & no torch so retreated to the dam after one. Great evening chewing the fat, watching the stars, bats & fishermen. Sounds like another good session.
    Casual marathons are the way forward Millsy. Have fun & remember you're not actually racing it ;)
  • Millsy - Good luck for the marathon.
    Joe - Fingers crossed on the sub 17 attempt!
  • Can I be added to the thread, please? Abingdon, DIY BAC sessions, 2:52 dream target. 

Jooligan, I have done Snowdonia the last two years and loved it. A truly epic race and so much fun. 3:04 last year which I was well chuffed with. But not this year. A former lurker of these parts, trirunningfaster, convinced me to enter Beachy Head. But ongoing running injuries for him mean he probably won't do it so neither will I. One autumn marathon should be enough. Although I could be persuaded to do Broadway Trail Marathon as well. 

Nice Mona Fartlek again, HA. And thanks for the cutback advice. Easy running with strides should be just the ticket. 

Well done on surviving the stag, Millsy. I love one night, but two breaks me. Solid return with a marathon on this weekend's horizon! 

Great but unfortunate progression run, Alan. It almost sounds like some evil coaching motivation. 

Just an easy five miles for me. And was then wowed by spoons' speedy trainers MLRing!

• Thanks guys, this is a very friendly forum! I am doing the Northampton half on the 3rd September,  but this is just a hard tempo run really as I'm not in good enough shape with enough run training to nail a half marathon. I am going to doing either the great Eastern Run at Peterborough or the Manchester half for my qualifying time. These will both give me another 7 weeks training which hopefully will be enough for a decent time. 

Tonight's run went really well with 11 miles at 6.10 pace then last 2 at 5.37 pace. I'm hoping to get another 50+ mile week in with some quality work.
  • It's a friendly forum until you mention Tri Phil. Then war breaks out.  Welcome anyway.
    Spoons...  thanks... I haven't got that book, yet.
    Reg - fair point about maybe a poorly executed recovery affecting me, post ultra.  It's hard for me to judge if that's the case because so much of what I do is poorly executed. Actually, I have to take account of the fact I'm 10lb heavier than in April... so that probably explains 15-20s per mile. So that means I just need an explanation for about 40-50s per mile. Hopefully it will pick up.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Good luck at Parkrun Joe, you've been edging towards the sub 17 for a while it's going to happen. If you could just leave my PB alone that would be decent of you :)

Millsy just dropping another marathon in like it's a parkrun! Sounds a great time Jooligan.

I'm impressed with your form lately Spoons with and without those fancy shoes.

Sharp run that Phil. I hope you're not sandbagging with this tempo run HM nonsense. I bet you head out at 75 pace and pick it up after a few miles!

You're pretty consistent with this MF sessions HA, looks like you're chipping away at the Strava CR each time. I don't think you'll be in our sights at Abo for long. Will they have a car with a clock for you do you think?

Nice session Alan.

Club swim champs for me tonight 2.4 miles, i'm far from a contender so it didn't matter that I was 10 minutes late. 1:05:50 which was a PB but I was flagging the last 2 laps and really slowed down. Had a little 3 mile run after.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭

Oxford Half 8th October

RunSpoonRun - P&L 100 mi HM plan - Target Time 79:59

Munich 8th Oct - OuchOuch 2.49-2.52

Birmingham 15th October

SteveMac - P&D/DIY - Target Time TBA

Amsterdam 15th October

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

Melbourne 15th October
    JohnOz - P&D 12/70 plan - Target time 2:59

Abingdon 22nd October

Reg Wand - DIY Plan  Target time 2:43

HA77 - DIY Plan Target Time 2:30

Tom-P&D/DIY 12/70 plan-Target time TBA

AWC – P&D 12/55 – Target Time 3:20:00

Sorequads - DIY BAC sessions - Dream target 2:52

Coops - P&D gently gently version - Target time TBA 

Autumn 100 21st October

Maccatheknacca

Eryri/Snowdonia 28th October

Jooligan - DIY (P&D guided) Target Time sub 3:30 (aspirational sub 3:15)

Frankfurt 29th October

PJFrizzle - P&D up to 70mpw - TT 2:59:59 (A) 3:05 (B)

Valencia 19th November

OuchOuch   2.49-2.52

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Good luck with sub 17 Joe, it's there for the taking

Jooligan - well done on getting the runs in, I've heard it's not easy sharing the roads with cars bikes and random pedestrians. Did you run in Shanghai? Will be there in Oct so any route tips would be great. 

SQ - solid LR whilst on holiday, always nice to see new routes. 

Spoons - ridiculously fast session in the new vaporflys, I reckon you'll have a real shot at 80 mins. 

Reg - solid tri training, you're fitting in a great block. Are you going to do more run specific sessions nearer Abo?

AWC - fast MP run for the start if training!

Philip - welcome and look forward to hearing how training goes. You should add yourself to the above list of target races. 

Muddy - great to have you back. I'd be interested in why you're stopping marathons if you can be bothered to retype it. 

HA77 - nice mona fartlek, you must be confident about your form. 

Almost back into it after my sickness. 15 miles MLR on Wed and 11k alternating HMP/MP. Tough one as I still feel a bit drained in my core so couldn't quite hit 10k pace. I definitely prefer this to 11k@LT so may even do an extra session of 12k in a couple of weeks. 

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice session John. You're probably still getting over your bug.

NE - I find that extra weight makes a big difference. I'm sure it'll pick up

Phil -  I know you asked about setting paces on the other thread but I thought I'd answer here. This far out from a marathon I just run on effort. So when I say MP/HMP really I mean marathon effort and half marathon effort. Generally it comes out pretty close to my target paces. I'll try to target goal pace for a couple of sessions closer to the race and I'll use a tune up HM race so see if I'm on track for my marathon target. I think if you're just targeting London next year I wouldn't be too worried about running at your goal pace at the moment. Alternatively you could be more scientific about it and base your efforts on HR, but I've never bothered. Nice pace in your training run by the way. Like Reg says, you're probably on for sub 75 on 3 Sept.

Reg - Well done on the swim PB. Good signs. It would be quite cool to run along behind a lead car with a big clock. I really hope there is a group looking to just dip under 2:30, even if it's just a couple of other guys. I know last year's winner (2:30:38) will be there again.

All this talk about being in good form must've put the mockers on me. I got out last night thinking I'd try to do my missed session from Wednesday. As soon as I started trying to pick up the pace to MP I knew I wasn't quite right. Legs felt fine but the engine was feeling run down, so just jogged home. I think with 3 hard weeks and 3 hard double session days I'm a bit overtrained. Looking at the last 3 double session days and considering both sessions, they have probably been harder than any I did leading into London. I've also been pushing pretty hard on the hill/tempo sessions. I did want to see how hard I could push and I guess I just tipped a bit over the edge. Not to worry. A very easy week coming up (will be lucky to do 20 miles total), then a more measured approach for the last 7 weeks before Abingdon.
  • Right then going to put it out there and stick the target time down at sub 3:05 (GFA time for London!), I'd like sub 3 but feel that I'd need a full P&D build up again to get that. So going with 3:05 and a 5 minute PB.

Oxford Half 8th October

RunSpoonRun - P&L 100 mi HM plan - Target Time 79:59

Munich 8th Oct - OuchOuch 2.49-2.52

Birmingham 15th October

SteveMac - P&D/DIY - Sub 3:05 (although any PB will be good!)

Amsterdam 15th October

Melbourne 15th October
    JohnOz - P&D 12/70 plan - Target time 2:59

Abingdon 22nd October

Reg Wand - DIY Plan  Target time 2:43

HA77 - DIY Plan Target Time 2:30

Tom-P&D/DIY 12/70 plan-Target time TBA

AWC – P&D 12/55 – Target Time 3:20:00

Sorequads - DIY BAC sessions - Dream target 2:52

Coops - P&D gently gently version - Target time TBA 

Autumn 100 21st October

Maccatheknacca

Eryri/Snowdonia 28th October

Jooligan - DIY (P&D guided) Target Time sub 3:30 (aspirational sub 3:15)

Frankfurt 29th October

PJFrizzle - P&D up to 70mpw - TT 2:59:59 (A) 3:05 (B)

Valencia 19th November

OuchOuch   2.49-2.52

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Heading to Shanghai tomorrow John so yet to find out what that's like. Main problem so far has been the heat/humidity so I've been running early & sometimes later too. I've been working on a private campus with a 2.2M tarmac road which runs around the perimeter so been spoilt in that respect: as it's still summer holidays here it's been relatively traffic free. I plan to run here one last time first thing before catching the train to Shanghai then hopefully get an early run in Sunday somewhere near the hotel. Monday I fly out at 10am so unlikely to get much done before that what with transfers & the usual pre-flight hanging about.
    Managed 7.5M this morning. Tried the reservoir path which was interesting but not great for running Did afford me an opportunity for a refreshing(ish) dip before turning around :it petered out after less than a mile. Still with the run there that was just over 3M so I then did my usual 2 laps but in reverse for a bit of variety! Reckon I'll stick to my recent training pattern this evening. Cheers :)
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Good target Steve.
  • SQ/Jools - I've always wanted to do Snowdonia, definitely on my list, heard great things.

Great run Phil. What's your current half/marathon PB then? 1.15 is the target right?

Reg - what time have I got to aim at then? Not sure how it'll go really, legs feel like wood at the moment, been another heavy week, so not expecting to be flying. Nice swim there, you'll go much quicker in the real thing when you're tapered up and raring to go.

John - glad to hear you're back into the swing of things. what kind of weather do you normally get for the Melbourne race?

HA - I think an easy week is definitely what the doc ordered, you've been absolutely hammering it as of late. Take it easy, you've got yourself in great condition, you don't want to throw it away now.

Been a pretty big week with 13.5 hours of training already logged. Had a big day yesterday with 90 minutes on the bike including 14 x 2 minute hill reps which were horrible. Was worried the legs would be jelly in the evening, but ended up having a decent run, keeping it nice and steady with a couple of efforts on the later hills - 13.1 miles @ 6.57mm.

Could go either way tomorrow at parkrun, going to set off like a lunatic and see what happens. Katie's birthday so we'll do something active during the day before a nice meal or similar. Last big ride on Sunday, I'll be attempting to keep pace with Paul Burton who a few weeks ago finished first brit at the legendary Norseman triathlon. 

Good luck anyone racing (Millsy I think?) and enjoy the long weekend.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the parkrun joe. I reckon you must be in goodshape for a sub 17 and with your sandbagging will probably do a 16:29.

Have been enjoying hearing about everyone's different sessions, John, HA77, Spoons, SQ, Steve, etc. Will have to remember the best ones and incorporate into my winter speed training for the road race league.

Some great trip training reg, will be interesting to see how this translates to your Abingdon performance.

Jools, enjoy Shanghai. Not racing it is always the plan... until the gun goes. The trouble is, the field tends to be a lot weaker in my "C" races so the temptation for a decent finish place creeps in.

Doing a 1 day carb load for tomorrow. It's my 3rd marathon+ race in 29 days.
    actually looking to get some proper structure back as continually race, recover, taper, repeat isn't actually progressing my form.
  • HA,  one (of many) of my problems is I'm very analytical and look a bit to deeply into most aspects of training and racing rather than just going out for fun or a relaxed run. In some ways this can be good but in the past has led to me not listening to my body as much as I should and finishing sessions that I shouldn't due to fatigue or slight niggle. I am trying to look at the long game this time round and realising that individual sessions don't make a up a great performance. I'm going for more consistency this time around. With the last few years being more cycling specific it's been much less of a problem due to the reduced chance of injury with cycling compared to running. At the moment it's taking longer to recover from the increased mileage and harder/longer runs than I'm used to so I'm going to have to be very careful.

Joe my PB is mid 1h12 but this was a long time ago now. I've ran faster run splits in a 2 hour duathlon that pace so hope to improve on it by next spring.
  • Great “day off” Reg, top work.

Good luck at the Pershore Plum Muddy.

50m pool must be fun Jooligan! Enjoy the sightseeing.

Welcome Philip Melling

The 1/4 track is very odd SQ, I had a look on Google! They advertise it as a “world class” facility - for 100m runners maybe…

Nice Mona session HA, hope your daughter is ok. Take it easy, sounds like good timing with the holiday so you can have a bit of recovery.

Welcome back Millsy. Good luck at the marathon.

Good couple of runs there AlanB. My maths while running is terrible too, although it does help pass the time sometimes!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joe! Good luck at parkrun for the sub-17, and good luck to Katie too.

Cheers Reg, yes training all seems to be kicking in at the moment. Always nice when you start to feel the effect of the hard work! Congrats on the swim PB.

Solid alternating pace run JohnOz, I think those are the new favourite session of this thread!

As others have alluded to, I had a very good medium-long yesterday testing out the “magic” Nike Vaporflys. 15 miles around my usual route, and I averaged 6:51/mi, with an average HR of 163. For comparison last week I did 14 mi at 7:10/mi with a HR of 168. I actually had to check over the route to make sure there wasn’t some GPS error making me seem much faster!

The weather was certainly more favourable than last week - less breezy and a bit cooler - but I was still pretty surprised how fast I managed to run at such a relatively easy effort. I don’t know how much of the improvement is due to the shoes, and how much is just my fitness improving, but regardless I’m very happy! Just 6s/mi off my marathon PB pace, but 18 BPM lower than my marathon HR. Big confidence booster.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Spoons that just shows what consistent hard work can do for you. I have always been tempted in the past to knockout a few noteworthy sessions, something to write about to strangers on the internet! I am being a lot more patient this year.

I have barely done anything above zone 2 all year and I am not sure what I will do in the lead up to Abingdon. I think, I'll just do some long intervals between MP & LT. Cheers re the swim PB, I don't get excited about swimming as there's still a long way to go before I am any good.

Nice target set there Steve, I remember going for GFA in 2015 and I changed my mind on the start line and ran 2:59:xx instead. It's tempting with just 5 minutes between them.

Joe, 16:52 I think is my PB, this should be within your compass. I'd like to at least go sub 16:30 before age becomes a barrier. Not a problem for a whipper snapper like you.

That's some string of marathons Millsy. You must have been pretty handy at duathlons Phil, I've contemplated them but it's never quite seemed right somehow.

8 mile run and bike to work and back made for a lighter day today, long ride tomorrow and long run Sunday and I'll probably be knackered from my biggest ever week.
  • Some great sessions being posted on here and Strava, and some missed trains.  I'm going to sound really lazy but too many to mention.  However, yours jumped out off my Strava feed though Spoons, well done. 

Welcome Phil, I recognise that problem of not listening to my body.  I think the key to reaching my potential will be to avoid serious injury (touch wood). On that note, well done HA for backing off.

Millsy, I recognise that feeling of recovery / race / recovery, lack of decent training block...although not as prolific as you, next week will be my third ultra in 3 months.

NE - I recovered quite well after the first 2 ultras but the last one has knocked me back a bit.  As Reg suggested (i think), with a taper, big effort, then recovery, its going to feel like a while out of the saddle, I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the spring plan already.

Liking the targets AWC, Steve and SQ, best of luck.

Good luck this weekends racers, Millsy, Joe and Muddy.
  • Solid MLR (forum lingo) there, Phil. Nice work. 

Impressive swim, Reg. you seem to be putting in a great block at the moment. How long until the unmentionable? I went to the waterpark where you did your recent half today. It really is a nice place in the sun. 

Nice session, John. And good you enjoyed it - a solid signifiers of a positive return. 

Sounds like your getting the balance just right, HA. And your easy week will be well timed. Are you hoping for a Breaking 2 style wind break clock on the car?

2.2M traffic free loop sounds great, Jooligan. In Sri Lanka there were so few places where running was feasible that when I did find a loop of about that length it was heaven. Enjoy the beers. 

14 hill reps sounds filthy, Joe. Good luck at parkrun - setting off at a crazy pace never goes wrong. 

Enjoy the marathon, Millsy. You nutter!

Spoons, those stats make great reading. Really looking forward to seeing how your races go. Although worried by PBs will be heavily troubled. 

16M tempo sandwich today. Ran to track (2.7M) arriving at 5:45am. Tried to pay, but no one on the desk. 20 min MP effort (6:29 miling), 4 x 4 min hard tempo (5:55) then 20 min MP. Just about managed 5k each MP section. Despite running about 10M on the track, really enjoyed it. The maths kept me engaged and perfect conditions/flat and obstruction free meant fast times. Will definitely repeat as that session builds. Felt good in the second MP - in the zone, metaphorically and HR - but knackered once home. Coughing a bit during the intervals and hammy a little tight so will decide on the day whether to race a hilly 10k on Sunday. 

• Reg, duathlon are good fun to be honest. I've had a good year and won 2 of the 3 races I've entered including the British Age Group
    Championships.  Balancing the 2 sports is hard though (sorry for the tri talk) which is why I fancy focusing on running for a while.
  • SQ I assume MLR means medium long run?
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    HA77 - a rest week will probably do wonders , you've logged some great workouts so just lock in the improvements!

Jooligan - look forward to hearing what you find in Shanghai (it's a pretty crazy city as well)

SteveMac - great target, and there's still time to see if your training can edge you closer to sub 3....

Joe - Melbourne can be hit or miss, last year was gale force winds, year before pretty much ideal. It can even change during the race!

Spoons - you should try a few workouts at 80 min pace to see how you feel, you can't be far off now with these magic shoes. 

Millsy - you're a machine to fit in so many marathons, good luck

SQ - impressive session, sounds like another variant of the above and below LT runs, they really seem to be beneficial going by how many of us here are doing them. 

Macca - you've finished some big races so it's only natural to feel it at some point, and you're still going! What race is it next week?

Reg - well done on the biggest week, how many miles/hours have you done?
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm back from my marathon. Turned out to be 29.8 miles! It was 8 laps so decided to limit myself to average under 8 min mile per lap but no faster than 7.30. It was a training run after all. Not a massive amount of quality on the start line (one 2.30 guy on the way back from injury) and a fast looking lady who was about 6 stone wringing wet. 
    First 2 laps went to plan and I was settled nicely in 5 th and on the 3rd they re-routed us to to a little bit extra making the initial hill about twice the length. This also added on some distance to each lap. As the laps went on and the day got hotter I managed to work my way through the field to be neck and neck with the 2:30 guy by 20 miles. (Pace still on target) turns out he hasn't run a long run for a while and took his wife's place at the last minute so by 23 miles I was out on my own. Due to the laps being lengthened and doing the maths in my head I presumed this would be my last lap, finishing on 26.2. So I decided to push on for the last 3 to keep in first place. On crossing the line (26.0) on the Garmin I was informed I had to go round again!!!
    Mentally I nearly lost it and struggled to keep going. After 27 miles the lady came flying past and I just had to make sure no-one else got past. I was struggling with jelly legs as I'd had all my gels and not much water after 24 miles. Managed to shuffle on to the last aid station with 28 miles on the watch and had to hold onto the gazebo to stop falling over. Got a bit of a pep talk from the guy in charge, downed 2 cups of Coke and just went for it. Managed to stagger across the line in 3:59 and promptly collapsed in a heap. Was 1st man home and 2nd overall. Slightly more tired than the plan (at 26.2 I felt great) 
    a pint of ice cold Coke and some rehydration drink and I was compus mentis again and was able to chat to the rest of my club mates who were also running. 
    There was some confusion at the end as after a while they stoped sending people out on the 8th lap and let them finish after 7 and some did a shortened 8th lap so the results are a bit all over the place but I've got my trophy so that's what counts. 
  • Sounds epic! Must of been mentally tough thinking it was all done. Congratulations.