Options

21'st Birthday Prezzie for my Son

Anyone got any good ideas for a 21'st Birthday present for my son ?

My wife and I are completely out of ideas. He's said that he wants something nice to keep and we've been through the usual list of things with him and he's said he doesn't want any of them. (Not in an ungrateful way, just that he doesn't want them).

Ideas we've had and discounted are :

TV for his student digs
Any other tech (phones/ tablets/ games etc)
Money
Sports gear
Jewellery 
Clothes

He's a third year Law student, quite big into sports and with a very active social & love life.

We were planning to spend around £500, so no suggestions of new cars etc please. I was thinking of maybe a watch, but he already has two or three nice ones and £500 is a bit of a no mans land. 

He wouldn't be too hung up on the value. I don't think that it'd bother him if what we bought cost £25 or £500 if it was something he wanted.

Does anyone have any bright ideas ? I've already asked his mates and he's not been dropping any hints.

Comments

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Given his potential career, how about a good quality pen, engraved with his name and DOB?
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    STA travel vouchers. Failing that, hookers and blow: the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    Luggage? Expensive kit bag for sports kit, weekend bag, suitcase for longer trips.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    My lad settled for a 'Colin the Caterpillar' cake. That's about as big a request as he's ever made in twenty years.

🙂

• Options
    RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. We'd offered him travel vouchers as he does travel a bit but he said no. 

He's very much against any sort of drugs (thank God) and don't think he has much need for the hookers, he seems okay on his on on that front (or back maybe).

His brother's bought him a nice pen. The luggage is good idea.

I think that this is more about us wanting to buy him something than anything, he's not asking for anything.

In the end we seem to have agreed on a TV as he won't have one in his Uni flat otherwise.
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    > @Redjeep said:
    >
    > In the end we seem to have agreed on a TV as he won't have one in his Uni flat otherwise.

AO.com are doing a Bank Holiday special (Voucher Code: TV40399) where you get £40 off any TV over £399. Worth a look.
  • Options
    I know for students, material goods are possibly more useful, but who will remember a TV in 5 or 10 years time?
    Experience is (arguably) more memorable.
    Chefs table at a starred restaurant? Weekend spa break? Flying lesson/helicopter flight? Hot air balloon? Tank /sports car driving? 
  • Options
    If you get him a gift voucher for the hookers and blow and he refuses it, PM me!