Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Birch - nice muggy miles (no pun intended!)
    Leslie - saw some of the flooding on the news including a collapsed bridge.
    Poacher - ok, let me check my diary... Thanks to Mrs Poacher for the horticultural advice.
    GM - sounds like you had a great time!
    OO - getting serious now!
    11 more slow miles this morning avg pace 8:46 m/m. Proud to hear Miss GD the younger opening her GCSE results live on Radio Norfolk a short while ago, but really felt for her - it's nerve wracking enough as it is!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    GM I hear they are casting actors for Greek gods in the next superhero movie....

OO that looks like a beaut. Suggest getting a paddle leash, a very cheap bit of kit but one day you will be glad of it. If you are taking it to the Lakes I can suggest a few good places to get on/off the water. If inland on lakes, rivers, canals etc there is a licensing system, have a read if you are not covered already.

And reading back...MsE, sorry to hear that; enjoy the weather and training. GD - running well.  Birch - you have the best pedigree of any poster here so please don't abandon. 

I have no mojo whatsoever but have just entered the New Forest mara on Sept 10, the aim is to get niece/goddaughter Poachette2 round her first 26.2.  Although she may end up dragging me round instead.  Then Hull later in the month.  Hard to get anything done at the moment as MrsP has a prolapsed disc (OUCH!) which is a really big and painful problem given the physical demands of work.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Welcome home, Gerard!  Lovely photo of you and your sister.  A down week is important when training and you will probably find yourself revitalised for it.

Good to see Gul and Birch chugging along regardless.  Keep it up.  And I am sure congratulations are due to Miss GD The Younger.  So brave to open her results on national radio!

Loving the new toy, OO.  You look so chuffed with it.

Poacher - you never fail to inspire with the "no mojo so have entered a marathon" mantra you espouse on here!

Third consecutive day of running with a 35 min pootle through the woods.  Followed up with 45 mins of core and full body strength work. Go me.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Gerard sounds nice if a bit too hot but half a kilo ? come on man I can put that on every day on holiday just looking at food  !!!
    0054 planning that retirement already with the canoe !
    Gul nice 11 mile , one main road out is still closed today and underwater awaiting the river to go back where it came from ...gridlock yesterday so just abandoned travel and went back home .
    Poacher sorry to hear about Mrsp , hope she gets well soon.at least you don't have to run a mara soon , oh wait.. ya madman !
    MSE cracking comeback continues ,powerhouse of this thread at the minute !

Went out with my (nearly )10 year old yesterday 1min on , 2 off for most of 2 mile then again when my wife got home as she wanted to make a start so 1 min on 3 off for her (she was out monday as well) then after that I did 20 mins on my own  so got about 7 mile yesterday in dribs and drabs !

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Bit of a belated catch-up, so:
    Birch: don't you dare go!
    Gul: hope the tooth is now better
    GD: go easy on that knee
    OO: another good 5k.  You're getting into shape well!
    MsE: hope the holiday is nice, but sorry to hear the sad news about your uncle.

Not much running this end of late, as the man flu lingered and work was ridiculous last week, but hopefully I can string a few good weeks together, as the Bristol Half is now just 3.5 weeks away.  Realistically, it'll just have to be an experiment to discover quite how much fitness I've lost/retained, as my training has been very hit and miss since VLM!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Birch - I would also like to plead that you stick with us. It wouldn't be the same around here without you! 

MsE - Thank you. You are really inspiring! Are you back home now? 

Jools - My sister had a bad bout of the lurgy too that lasted 3 weeks! Will you try get yourself into race shape for the half? 

Leslie - Haha, I normally lose weight on holiday as I'm usually more active but I guess not getting on the beer during the day helps. Must have had a good influence on my sister as she usually has wine at lunch (she's more French than Irish as she left home aged 16 and went to uni in Paris and Gran Canaria) but she was out running more than me! Glad you're getting some running in. Is your wife and daughter getting the bug now too? You're obviously a great influence on them, lovely to hear. 

Poacher - Hehe! Sorry to about about MrsP. Great that you are running with your niece and you've entered Hull too. Did you do Hull before. I think I recall OO did it? 

OO - Very nice! If you are ever over this side in summer time we should arrange a kayak adventure with some trail running as well. That would be cool! 

Gul - Was your daughter pleased? Glad to see you are still managing to get some miles in.

Back to reality today and luckily I seem to have brought the sunshine back with me. Looks like I may be able to squeeze parkrun pacing duties in on Saturday.  It's the 100th one next weekend and it should be a cracker. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the offer Gerard- its the races 100th not yours right?

Just ordered the leash Poacher- thanks for that, and a folding kayak trolley as it turns out even the beach is too far to carry it single handed. I'll also need a roof rack at some point to get it to the Lakes- all these extras costing more that the boat! Derwentwater is the first Lake we'll tackle as it's nearest to our place- no license required I think.

Nice patchwork of a session Leslie, always nice to run with children.

I assume miss GD is your daughter Gul- hope she got what she needs for further studies.

You don't sound too confident Jools but a 1/2 should definitely tell you where you're at. Let's hope the illness might at least have given your body a rest. 

Hard track session yesterday but felt good. Legs are shot today so may just settle for a rest or short recovery run. I'm trekking to Hartlepool on Saturday- with some pals in the hunt for a good parkrun time- supposed to be a fast one. He's a tad quicker than me so also someone to chase- 18 minutes is my target- confidence booster for GNR.  

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - sorry to hear about Mrs P. Very painful. Looks like you'll be doing your usual little or no training and 2 marathons in quick succession!
    MsE - you have been incredibly diligent in your post-op rehab and it is now paying dividends!
    Leslie - another running family in training.
    Jools - tooth is fine now, thanks. It won't know what hit it when the dentist pulls it out! Bristol HM will be a good benchmark, as you say. Hope you get some consistent training now.
    GM - yes, thanks, overall my daughter was very pleased. She received a list of marks for each exam and some of them are very impressive. Hope you get to do some pacing at parkrun. Next weekend is our local parkrun's anniversary and it's going to be another 24 hour event. Unfortunately, we're out with some friends most of the day, but might sneak a few hours in again on the Sunday morning if I wake up in time.
    10 miles today. 6 slow/easy ones (avg 8:33) and 4 steady (7:46).
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the quest for 18 OO, that;s rapid, that is!

Steady 10 there Gul. Nice.

Hope you find a training rhythm soon, Jools.

Keep on keeping on MsE. Wonderful to track your progress back to smashing it status.

Track session last night. Arrived early so did 4 miles around the block (6.51 pace).
    Then after a short rest and a chat, the session. 8x800 doing the first 400 in 1.25 and the second around 1.20.

My legs are a bit tired at the mo so I was a couple of seconds off those targets, so ended up averaging 2.50 for each of the 800s off 90 sec recoveries.

Knee was fine after an initial complaint. Defo going to look after myself right now as I'm bang in the middle of the campaign, fatigued and if I push too hard I know I'll break myself. And then I have MsE to deal with!!  :D

15 very slow ones on the trails tomorrow morning and then a couple of days in Dorset.
    Thanks for booking the weekend weather, GMB)

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi all 

Leslie - good luck combining childcare & running  . . .

Gerard - lovely pic;  enjoy the parkrun pacing - which time target are you on duty for? 

Gul - nice 11 - and belated congrats to MsGul - radio star as well !  

Jools - hope the lingering dregs of the man-flu are banished, and you're fully back to it . .

G-Dawg, OO - fine track work - nice pic also, OO - gets more and more nautical on here - didn't MsE invest in a water-going craft recently?  

Poacher - typical remedy of yours for mojo-absence - enter a mara in 2 weeks time !!   I trust Poachette2 has done a bit more :)   -  and good luck to her   

rest day today    

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - That's right. I've only done about 12 or so. A friend of mine who is aiming for a commonwealth qualifying time for the 1,500m is doing it and he has the course record 15:12 and his Dad said he is training very hard, he ran 3:45 for 1,500 the other night and I reckon he might go sub 15 if things go to plan. We are averaging 300+ runners every week now but I reckon we could get close to 500 for the 100th.

Gul - That's great re your youngest daughter. Nice 10 miler. I hope you manage to get another good run in on Sunday. 

G-Dawg - 2:50 average for 800's is very good. Enjoy your trail run and Dorset. I have a very good friend from those parts and I keep promising to visit. 

Birch - Thank you. I'm not certain yet. I've recently made friends with a lady who is a very good endurance runner but gave up running for 2 years, she is just back running about a month. I reckon she could dip under 23, which is no mean feat on that course. I'm really looking forward to it. I love pacing on that course. 

Jools - Will be interesting to see how you go off less volume than usual, well I would imagine. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    GD - you did 4 miles @ 6:51 before your track session?! Good reps.
    Birch - hope you enjoyed your rest day.
    GM - what's your parkrun course like then?
    7 easy miles this morning avg pace 8:29 m/m.
    And best wishes to PMJ this weekend. Enjoy the marathon! Hope I got the date right.
    Have a good weekend everyone parkrunning, long running or  whatever you're doing.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

18:02 at the parkrun so an annoying near miss. It was a solid run 5:52, 5:51, 5:45. And a decent WAVA of 84.5%. 14 tomorrow will secure a 45 week, tepering gently for GNR.

Good luck PMJ, teasing us with a quiet one.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO - you're too modest - 84.5% WAVA is a few notches above "decent" !   well done !!    

13 trail miles this morn with my fellow VoGit & my daughter - same route as 9 days ago, but felt stronger today (but still slow - my companions bagged 14) 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Love the will to get it done, Leslie.  Shows signs of a mentally agile runner when you can improvise like that with little ones.

Jools, you are so fit generally I reckon the 3 weeks to race day will be just perfect to bring in some snappiness to see where your fitness is.

Gul - excellent solid miles.

GD - good to hear it.  I am sure you are doing this already but one of the easiest ways to baby yourself is to think about your rest and recovery days and make sure you are (a) giving the body the rest it needs and (b) taking on board the hydration and nutrition you need to repair.  I have found that proper resting (i.e. staying off my feet and only doing stretchy yoga type stuff) and fuelling (i.e. lots of protein and colourful veg, going easy on simple carbs) makes a huge difference to my recovery now I am in my 40s.  Oh and SLEEP.  Now my kids are older I can sleep more than 6 hours each night and that makes a massive difference!

Birch - so pleased you are able to post details of a MLR with the comment you are feeling stronger.

OO - you are really quite an inspiration with your dogged determination to keep pushing to find how fast you can go.  That WAVA is impressive! I don't think I have got that high yet.

Recovery day for me, meaning 45 mins of vinyasa flow yoga followed by an easy 20' TM trot, finished off with drills and callisthenics (i.e. full bodyweight exercises), stretching and foam rolling.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Jools 3.5 weeks is not long but mine is next sunday ,think i will just sack it tbh ! Can't even make 13 miles at present .
    Gerard how's the pacing gone ?
    Gdawg whatever works for you but I suspect the 800's would be easier if you took it a bit easier getting there lol ! still speedy though !
    0054 so close and that's fast alright ,looking good for a sub 1:23 and near 85% wava amazing.
    Birch nice 13 from you on the comeback.
    MSE busy sounding recovery day ,it's came at a good time the family wanting to do a bit of training as I'm having a bit of downtime anyway so it's no hassle for me. Luckily I had 2 weeks off work booked with no childcare for my daughter till school starts due to the flooding.
    PMJ did you just run a mara ?

2 mile walking with the family (2 running days on week 1 appear to be enough for them )then out for 8 mile myself my first longish run in quite a while ,I've only clocked 24m this month ! and it was a bit of a struggle to get back with the last 2 miles over 9m/mile pace (8@ 8:51 average ) My legs feel like they have aged 25 years in a few weeks lol half mara next week? ..forget it ..mara in 9 weeks? ..not looking too promising !

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg said:

Track session last night. Arrived early so did 4 miles around the block (6.51 pace).
    Then after a short rest and a chat, the session. 8x800 doing the first 400 in 1.25 and the second around 1.20.

My legs are a bit tired at the mo so I was a couple of seconds off those targets, so ended up averaging 2.50 for each of the 800s off 90 sec recoveries.

Forgot to say that session was almost a Yasso 800 sort of one wasn't it?  Except rather than even splits, the intention was to push for a negative split.  Assuming there is some truth in Yasso's approach (the average time for the 800 = predicted marathon time in hours), it is no wonder it was a challenge to achieve the splits. I think you did exceptionally well averaging 2:50 off 90 secs. and should be really pleased with that.  Now REST! You earned it. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Leslie H said:

2 mile walking with the family (2 running days on week 1 appear to be enough for them )then out for 8 mile myself my first longish run in quite a while ,I've only clocked 24m this month ! and it was a bit of a struggle to get back with the last 2 miles over 9m/mile pace (8@ 8:51 average ) My legs feel like they have aged 25 years in a few weeks lol half mara next week? ..forget it ..mara in 9 weeks? ..not looking too promising !

Sounds sensible, Leslie.  Reset the odometer and start all over again.  You will build up quickly (in fact at 8 miles today, you have overtaken me already and I have been building up for weeks!) Then you can set your sights on a new race.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    OO - Cracking parkrun and exceptionally high WAVA. 

Gul - It's a challenging course and measures about 3.17 miles on my Garmin, my friend had 3.2 on hers. So I reckon for someone running at about 6mm it's an extra 25 seconds. The last 2k is off road and there are 2 hills one which is a steep hill for the last 500m or so. 

Birch - Nice running sounds like you enjoyed it. That's the important thing.

MsE - Excellent recovery activities! Vinyasa flow is sooooo good. 

Leslie - Can you defer your Dublin place or are you tempted to jog around?

Parkrun pacing duties and the target was 23:00. We were bang on target until we hit the off road and hills and finished in 23:30. A 23 second improvement for my friend from her one and only previous effort two weeks ago, she was pleased. My son went out paddle boarding with his Mum this arvo so I went out for another run. Lovely and warm here about 25c, so I did 8k at MP. Took me about 1.5k to get going but hit the rhythm from there on in and really enjoyed it. Have a fab bank holiday w/end everyone. 
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Quick pop in from Canada

Had a great holiday and racing tomorrow (swim bike world champs!) :)
    Excited!

Super WAVA scores, mental doubles, solid injury recovery and canoe madness has been duly noted.

Have a great Bank Holiday Weekend you lovely people :)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - very impressive parkrun performance. A sub 18 is within reach.
    Birch - pleased to hear you felt stronger during that trail run.
    MsE - you fit a lot into recovery days.
    Leslie - keep plugging away; you might recover fitness faster than you think.
    GM - yes, sounds like a fairly tough course, so well done with the pacing.
    SJ - world champs tomorrow! And in Canada too! I bet excited is a bit of an understatement. Savour the experience. All the best.
    11 progressive miles this morning but still with the lid on (last mile was 7:23), making 57 for the week.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Well done on nearly nailing the pacing, Gerard.  What is MRP for you?  How does your son like the paddle board?  Ours is 10' and yet the 8 year old MsEtte still manages to manoeuvre it around.  I love it.

Sending SJ lots of luck over in Canada today.  Can't wait to read all about it.

Gul - very nice weekly mileage and even nicer display of control there.  I always think it shows someone is rather fit when they can do that.

My longest time on feet run so far in my rebuild fitness plan. 45 mins with the dogs on trails which I hadn't been on for some time given my weak ankle. SO HAPPY to be back on them! Brings me up to just over 18 miles for the week.  It's taken me 6 weeks but I am getting there, albeit slowly.  Now to train the puppy to run to heel while we are in Run Mode.... Finished off with 25' core work.
  • PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Gul Darr said:

And best wishes to PMJ this weekend. Enjoy the marathon! Hope I got the date right.

Nope, definitely wrong date and it is not a marathon, just a long training run that happens to be 26.2 miles. Mrs PMJ has put her foot down so it will be under cover. The date is Sunday, Sep 10th but we are out at The Last Night of the Proms (tickets courtesy of a friend who sings for the BBC Singers) so it will be a last minute decision if it is run or not depending on the lateness of the return from London.

Back from a holiday in France. Did a classic and set out to do 5 miles and ended up doing 13 one day but other than that just ticking over. 14 today for a 45-mile week off 5 runs. parkrun yesterday in 19:35 and parkrun says my best in 2017 is 19:33 so right direction and all that. 

Child #4 got good enough A-levels (4 A's) to be off to Warwick Uni so will be empty nest by the start of October. 
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SJ - Have an amazing race! 

Gul - Lovely run and a great weekly total. How's the tooth now? Does it have to extracted or can it be saved? 

MsE - Get in! Excellent progress and I bet you are chuffed. Yes my son loves it. His mother is a brilliant water skier and very good at most water sports. She said he is a total natural. He's a good swimmer and surfs too, so SUP would not be difficult for him. I've only done it a few times but I love the perspective from above the water especially in the right conditions. SUP yoga is very popular here and some of the bays they do it in are just magical. MP for me, well, the target is around 7:15mm, but we'll see closer to the time. I hope to break sub 3:15 with a bit to spare to ensure a BQ time but you never know. 

PMJ - Congrats to your daughter, 4 A's is excellent. What will she be studying? 

No running for me today but I had a wonderful day on the beach with my boy. Did the usual, lit a fire, cooked some lunch, swam lots, went rambling on the rocks and jumped into some nice rock pools. It was warm today, about 25c but, oh my, the sea was a shock to the system after a week in the med but still beautiful. It's meant to be 30c tomorrow. I'm planning on doing a coastal cliff path run with a pal followed by a sea swim. Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks. 
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Sounds like a lovely day GM!

Congrats to Jr PMJ - have you planned on any changes to your lifestyle PMJ when you are sans kids?
    (3 of ours have gone and our youngest goes in 4 years so looking for tips!)

Coming back nice and steady MsE :)

Solid week there Gul 

Race today was great - ITU multiport world champs in penticton - fantastic atmosphere at the swim start and a run off the beach into the water which was beautiful, clear and calm with the sun coming up over the hills. Came out where expected really, towards the back of my age group (which from a bit of stalking I knew had some very strong swim/ bikers) and about half way down the overall field. I was out in 54 mins for 3K and some guys had put 15 mins into me already. 

Bike course was great - fast out and back, twisty through town and then 2 long loops round another lake with a couple of reasonable climbs to make it to 120K. Made up loads of places on the climbs especially and passed over 100 aquabikers and many, many guys doing the tri (but they are understandably conserving their energy for a 30K run). Kept it at a target HR and came in in 56th out of 386 and 11th in age group. Was really hoping for top 10 but having looked at the results, my time would have got me a podium spot in every age group from 30-34 and below but the older fields were pretty stacked.

Great feeling to race against people in national uniforms from Brazil, Japan, USA, Canada, Australia and loads more. Felt like one of the races off the telly.

Only drama was my handlebars trying to free themselves from my bike when I hit a pothole so had to do half the race with my aero bars pointing 30degrees downwards (not good for my neck) and one of the bars threatening to come right out of the bracket as it was working its way loose so was holding it in place whilst cycling and trying desperately to avoid any more potholes. 

Was very hot - 30s and started to feel it by the end and was glad I didn't have to do the run ;)

My time qualifies me for next year's world champs too in Denmark - whoop!

Have another week over here going through the rockies - Jasper, Lake Louise, Lake Maligne, Calgary (bobsleigh!). Had a great time so far with whale watching, sea planes, zip wires and riding in the top of cable cars - great country to visit on holiday

In Holland in 2 weeks for the ETU European champs for IM distance Tri - will have to dust off my trainers!

• Milkshake with a cake on it!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a great performance Slokey and sounds beautiful. I bet you could have managed the run as well if you had planned it that way.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    PMJ - huge congratulations to your youngest with such fabulous results.  You must be mighty pleased and relieved they are all off on the next legs of their journey of life.

Gerard - sub-3:15 seems very achievable.  I always forget this is the sub-3:15 thread when so many have gone beyond this.  I think it is because sub-3:15 is just the start for those who come here!  You do look like you live in paradise.

SJ - WELL DONE!  What a tremendous achievement and you have only gone and qualified to do it again next year.  The older bridge definitely prove that age doesn't mean you have to slow down.  Ive got this really annoying chick called Paula in my age category who always gets first in the AG for marathon and she's quite quick.  Enjoy the sightseeing.  Sounds wonderful.

Rest day for me so I went for a lovely dog walk and will do some yoga soon.  Possibly add some core in.  Got to do something about this stuff around my middle.  Happy bank holiday everyone!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SJ - Epic stuff altogether and it sounds like you really enjoyed it. Fab fab! Enjoy the rest of your time there, it sounds like an amazing time will be had. 

MsE - The SUP were out in force today. Low wind/tide, perfect conditions. Yes, sub 3:15 has been surpassed and much more by many on here but I've yet to do it. so only when it's done will I join the ranks of that club. When I did Manchester last year I thought I was in with a shout for around 3:10 and training alluded to that but it won't be easy for me but I'm hoping with a bit more experience behind me and some more solid training under my belt, and with good health, I can deliver this time. The key is not to be too greedy as I feel I can get closer to 3 hrs but that can wait. 

Stunning day here, parked the car on the west coast beach and ran from there with a friend. Did and hour on the cliff paths/trails with some mean hills and it was already cooking by 10am. The plan was to finish the run and head for a sea swim. Parked off all day and had lots of swims and had a lovely picnic on the beach with antipasto etc. Actually went for an hour walk too, which is rare for me. It was the perfect end to a perfect bank holiday weekend. Hope you all had a good one. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    MsE - really pleased for you. My progressive run wasn't exactly evenly increasing in pace. Mile 6 was only 7 hundredths of a second faster than mile 5!
    PMJ - oops. Sorry to spread false information! Well done to #4.
    GM - sounds like you had a super weekend.
    SJ - what an experience! You're never going to forget that one. Truly epic and congrats on a great performance at the world championships. Amazing. Enjoy the holiday now!
    One of my favourite sessions this morning. 10 miles with 21 x 400m tempo / 200m easy.