P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice controlled win Millsy although the race organisation sounds pants. What was the event called?
  • Ha ha, Millsy (if I'm allowed to laugh!).  That makes for a story you'll remember for the rest of your life, so well worth the mental and physical anguish. And to win a marathon is always a great achievement.
    Park Run for me.  21.42.  I had a great sprint finish with a guy and just beat him - hoping it was for a tenth, but happy with 12th. Really happy with that performance. Felt pretty solid. I ran the same course in my (21st century) PB time of 20:57 back in March so 45s slower today... but as I'm about 7lb heavier, then my weight-adjusted time today is close to that.  Just need to shed some blubber!

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    What an epic race Millsy - well done to hang on for the win. 

Getting back into good form NE. A minute faster for 7lb sounds about right  ;)

Tough LR today, banked 24 miles but faded badly right at the end. Happy to get time on my feet though, 3h15m should hopefully make those last few miles feel easier. 
  • Great result Millsy, especially given the bonus miles you were unprepared for, well done for going again.  Any video of the finish line collapse, its been a while since the last one.

NE - well done on the PR, positive signs.

John - 3+hrs and 24 miles, well done, bound to feel tough mid-training but its all in the bank.  My race is a 12hr enduro run as far as you can next week.  I was first male last year but I think I was lucky with who turned up on the day.

Hope to get out for something today.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Nice parkrun NE, those extra 7lbs will make a big difference. Maybe the people that do the age grading could work out a weight graded chart as well. 

John, 24 miles is a solid long run. The time on feet will be a decent confidence booster. 

Macca, not seen any pictures yet but hoping someone got one of me being presented with my award and goody bag whilst lying on the floor in the feotal position. Good luck with your 12 hr race, will be good prep for the A100

Jools, it was the East Farm marathon. Organised by White Star Running. They are always labelled as 26 miles ish but not quite sure what went on yesterday. They usually get things right. Hopefully was just a one-off.

legs not feeling too bad today so relived that I didn't do too much damage with my bonus miles. 
    Having a rest day with a BBQ and a few celebratory beers now. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sounds positive NE.
    Not done one of their events but I've heard good reports from clubmates about other White Star marathons so looks like it was just a blip. Was this the first time they'd tried this particular one?
    Good LR John - my longest so far this month has been 10M!
    Managed another 7.5M in Shanghai early doors. The streets were virtually deserted at 6:45 when I got out as it's Sunday but I'd spotted a park not far from the hotel on my evening stroll so headed there anyway. It was far busier with walkers, joggers, Tai Chi, aerobics & all sorts going on but nevertheless I could weave my way relatively easily along the main path which looped around the lake for a shade over 1M. There were several narrower paths which meandered through the trees to either side but these were trickier to negotiate my way unhindered through the congestion so after the first lap I stuck to the main path. There was also a handy tap to soak my head after 4M & 6M. Much needed as it was very hot & sticky even at that early hour. Huangxing Park btw.
    Taxi picks me up at 5:45am tomorrow but going to try to get out beforehand.
  • Millsy - congrats on the win. organisation doesn't sound like it was the best. As NE said, you can always call yourself a marathon winner now! how's the recovery coming along?

Nice park running NE - love a sprint finish.

Monster long run John.

Macca - enjoyed that sly dig, very good. Haha.

Jooligan - safe travels today, sounds like it's been an awesome trip.

Finally got me sub-17 on Saturday but boy did I have to work for it. It was Katie's birthday so I'd arranged a load of club mates to turn up at Dulwich parkrun and was distracted trying to transport the cakes over without her clocking on. This meant I got a minimal warm-up in and got to line after just a little jog around.

Setting off the pace felt ridiculously fast and I told myself there was no way it was happening. First 3 went off into the distance but luckily I had 4th to pace off. I thought I was slightly under target pace, but my watch beeped for 3 miles and I was nowhere near the finish (I'm sure course will be accurate, my watch was just measuring long), so I then realised I had no time whatsoever so just sprinted with everything I had. 

Crossed the line in 16.57, absolutely spent, and crumpled in a heap onto the floor, pretty much hyperventilating. I can't ever remember a race hurting so much. Really happy with the time, after a big week of training, and considering the legs felt absolutely horrendous throughout, I'm hopeful I can go faster when fresher. 

From there we cycled straight to Brighton for some fish and chips and a few beers on the beach. Then yesterday, I got out for 90 hilly miles with a chap who finished in the top-20 at Norseman this year (a ridiculously extreme ironman); safe to say I was clinging on for dear life, but it was a good, confidence boosting ride with Wales now just 2 weeks away.

Off to the lido this morning for a little swim before a bit more riding. Got to love a bank holiday! Hope everyone is enjoying theirs. 

• Congratulations Joe. Great result. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Nice PB Joe and PR NE. Epic run John.

I had to cut my run short yesterday, planned 15 but 11 was enough, left knee is a bit (a lot) sore, swollen and generally fed up with being used. Still managed a big week with 40 miles running, 261 miles on the bike and 8km swimming. I'm not doing anything today apart form stretching and foam rolling.

Millsy, that's not a marathon that's an ultra! First time i've heard of someone winning a race and still getting chicked  :D
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done on the parkrun PB Joe, will be interesting to see how fast you can go rested. 

reg, hope the knee improves with the rolling and stretching.

Saturday Was the first time I've seen a lady take overall first but, after some studying of Runbritain, it looks like she was the fastest fit runner on the day with a number of 2:50 marathons and 3rd lady at the UK 100k champs. 

Recovery run went went very well tonight so no damage done from Saturday's extra miles. 
  • Cheers Reg and Macca. Hope knee is ok Reg.

SQ I’m coming to get you… ;) Tasty sandwich :D I’m very tempted to switch up some of the traditional LT and MP runs in my next marathon plan for some of these varying pace style sessions.

Congrats on the “marathon” Millsy well done. Having that extra lap must have been so frustrating, so well done for keeping it together for the win.

Great parkrun NE.

Massive LR John, 24 miles is always tough but is great to have in the bank.

Congrats on the PB Joe, great stuff. Always impressed how you can push yourself so hard to the finish.

I had a solid long run on Sunday, average of 7:02/mi on a warm morning, again confirming I’m in good shape at the moment. It’s a recovery week this week, which I think I’ve earned as I passed 400 miles for August this morning! My biggest ever month.

I’ll be gradually easing back and then I’m running the Little Aston 5 miler on Sunday. Should be a guaranteed PB as my only other 5 mile race was just after my first marathon back in 2015, and was a sub-par performance even two years ago. I think I’m going to aim for sub-30 pace and then see how I feel as the race progresses.

• John - Great LR, 24 miles in the bank! Yeah I bet Melbourne can be tough weather wise, don't they sometimes get 4 seasons in a day!!
    Joe - Great running and PB.
    Millsy - Well done for toughing it out.

Had a rubbish run on Saturday, 5 mile recovery run, first 3 miles were OK, but then by mile 4 my HR was rising even though I had slowed my pace. Couldn't get HR back down so just continued to run, but felt horrible and didn't do the confidence much good for the marathon attempt! 9:30 min/miles with 140 bpm HR.
    Mile splits and (HR) were 9:17 (125 HR), 9:19 (130), 9:36 (136), 10:03 (147), 9:27 (151) plus a 0.7 mile at 9:11 pace (151). Clearly not recovering as well as I thought....good job my recovery plan has another couple of weeks to go. Just over 13 miles for the week.

Today I did 5 miles at 10:09 min/miles with 121 bpm HR average, so much better than Saturday, but still way off the pace compared to pre ultra.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Joe: well done on the PB

John: nice long run in the weather! Great to get that kind of time on your feet

Millsy: well done on the East Farm. I've not done a WS race before but my mates do them and are usually raving about them so interesting to hear they were sub-par this weekend!

20 mile long run for me on Sunday morning around Portland and Weymouth. First 20 miler of this training cycle and it was ok apart from the big climb back up to Portland at the end - about 500ft.

Recovery week this week which is welcome with only 8 weeks to go until Abingdon now.

Weird thing is the 12 week P&D plan has an LT run this week even though it is recovery week. It's only 4 miles at LT though which should be fairly comfortable at this stage.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Some good bank holiday running, Sounds like it's been a hot one in contrast to the gloves and layers weather here in Sydney. 

Great PB Joe, you're in even better shape for IM Wales

Take it easy SteveMac, no need to push if you're still feeling the ultra in your legs. 

Nice LR AWC, sounds like you're coming into P&D with a great base. 

6x800m today, all around 2:53-2:57. Slower than I wanted but the LR must still be in my legs. Will try it again in a few weeks. 
  • Well done agin, Millsy. A brilliant win considering the mental and physical agony of running so much further. Good value for money I guess?

Heck a long run, John. Well done. And nice 800s. 

Super parkrun, Joe. And you've got a good one there if she liked the birthday surprise. 

Sorry to hear about the knee, Reg, but good at least to have got a big week's training in. Hope it's better soon. 

400M is a huge month, Spoons! Good luck with the 5M. 

A fifth 70M week in a row for me last week. Decided to enter the Winchombe 10k on the Sunday and was so pleased I did. It was at an amazing castle with a brilliant atmosphere. My daughter did her first race, the kids 1k = 50m of running and the rest of our shoulders. The main race was trail and very hilly, essentially a fell race up to an old Roman Fort, Belas Knap. I was in fourth for the first couple of miles and then leapfrogged wth third in the huge climb. I opted to walk run it which seemed to pay dividends eventually. At the top, mile 4, I pushed into second and then had to hold on for dear life down hill. Clocked a gravity assisted 5:14 mile and held off the bird finisher by 6s. Rather than medals, each finisher got a packet of four local sausages. One experienced pro even turned up with a cool bag. There was an actual podium (amazing for such a small race) and I won a bottle of wine (excellent bank hol weekend winnings) snd, randomly, a pen. Sore quads since. 

Taking a recovery week now with lots of easy running. May have a crack at the new course at my local parkrun. 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cracking race the Winchcombe Hill Climb 10K. Did it about 5 yrs ago but only managed 16th. Well done on the podium SQ.
    Another good session John & good LRs from Spoons & AWC.
    Boom! Smashed the 17 minute barrier JB though left yourself with a target - Reg's PB. Safe, but for how long?
    Hope the knee's recovered Reg.
    Remember almost fainting immediately after parkrun the w/e after Tenby due to my lack of recovery Steve. I find the legs feel OK before the CV system is ready for it after a tough endurance race.
    Back home at last after a mammoth journey home. Managed 5M round the deserted streets of Shanghai yesterday before catching the taxi to the airport then did 4.7M this morning to recover my car from the other side of Bristol. Going to give club training a bash tonight but not expecting great things as still very tired.
  • Give yourself a break Jooligan!
    Great PB Joe. Tremendous barrier to break.
    Super training SQ, spoons, AWC
    SteveMac... not so good training! But no doubt all part of the process.. sounds like where I was 2 weeks ago
    JohnOz - that 'wink' suggests you might be doubtful about the effect of losing half a stone... but honestly, for me, at my pace, I do believe the rule of thumb of 2s per lb per mile is about right.  I did a lot of data crunching last year, trying to isolate all the variables and came to a figure of 1.8s... so within the margin of error, it's the same figure. So 7lb would be worth 42 seconds over 3 miles.
    In other news, I had a really nice 11m MLR tonight.  Think I'm gonna sign up for Chester.

• Forgot to wish you well, Reg.   Anyway... here's the list with my update.

Oxford Half 8th October

RunSpoonRun - P&L 100 mi HM plan - Target Time 79:59

Munich 8th Oct  

OuchOuch 2.49-2.52

Chester 8th Oct 

Northender Mash up of 12/55    3:30

Birmingham 15th October

SteveMac - P&D/DIY - Sub 3:05 (although any PB will be good!)

Amsterdam 15th October

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

Melbourne 15th October
    JohnOz - P&D 12/70 plan - Target time 2:59

Abingdon 22nd October

Reg Wand - DIY Plan  Target time 2:43

HA77 - DIY Plan Target Time 2:30

Tom-P&D/DIY 12/70 plan-Target time TBA

AWC – P&D 12/55 – Target Time 3:20:00

Sorequads - DIY BAC sessions - Dream target 2:52

Coops - P&D gently gently version - Target time TBA 

Autumn 100 21st October

Maccatheknacca

Eryri/Snowdonia 28th October

Jooligan - DIY (P&D guided) Target Time sub 3:30 (aspirational sub 3:15)

Frankfurt 29th October

PJFrizzle - P&D up to 70mpw - TT 2:59:59 (A) 3:05 (B)

Valencia 19th November

Joe Bloggs-BR - DIY - Target Time 2:39

OuchOuch   2.49-2.52

• NE - Sounds like you are recovering well now. Yeah I think just part of the process, so I just need to take it easy and let the recovery take care of itself.
    Jools - Yes, the legs are fine, so just need to wait for the CV system to catch up!

Another recovery run today, not bothered with pace at the moment, just trying to keep HR low for the recovery runs. I still have 6 weeks until the marathon, so hopefully that is long enough to recover for a PB attempt, otherwise I'll just get round and take it easy.
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Impressive training run Philip, think you'll be more than comfortable going sub 75 in your next half if you're knocking out efforts like that.

Rest up HA and I'm sure you'll be back flying again next week.

Nice marathon target Steve. Hope the recovery goes well and you can get back training soon.

Nice training John and solid long run to boot. 

Solid training as always Joe and congrats on breaking 17. I suspect you'll be taking another chunk off that again soon.

Wow Spoons, that's a big difference over a 15 mile run. Nearly 20 seconds/mile is pretty incredible...I'm still too tight to pay £200 for a pair of trainers though, maybe one day they'll be down to a more reasonable price. Keep us updated on any future runs with the Vaporflys to see if it's down to the shoes or your fitness improving.

Well done on knocking out the BAC session again SQ and congrats on the podium finish. Sounds like things are going well. 

Well done on the (ultra) marathon win Millsy, sounds like a tough day. Hopefully it won't take long to recover from.

I found by the middle of last week my legs were telling me they were needing a rest so have taken it easy since. I did do an unplanned 19 mile run on Sunday with friends but it was at a nice easy pace. Went along to club last night, the session was 10 x 800m with 90 sec recovery. I bowed out at 8 using the easy week as an excuse, truth was i was pretty gubbed. Managed to hold around 2:37 for all 8, but spent most of the time in lane 3 again and was struggling for traction on parts of the (blaze) track due to a lot of rain recently. Just getting my excuses in :)

Will continue taking it easy until Friday and then hopefully kick off another 3 big weeks training before a half marathon in October to see what shape I'm in. I'm close to getting the green light to enter Valencia so hopefully can get flights and accommodation sorted in the next couple of weeks.
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    It chopped a few off there, not sure why..

Nice parkrunning NE, losing weight during marathon sounds easy but I just find I am starving all the time.

Another ultra Macca! Just the 12hrs this time though I guess ;) . Good luck and hope you can retain your title.

Welcome back Jooligan, glad to hear you enjoyed the trip. Back to reality now though..

Another solid training week Reg, hope the knee injury clears quickly.

Well done on knocking out the first 20 miler AWC and punishing yourself with a big climb at the end.
  • Huge week Reg - very impressive. Taper starting soon?

Awesome long run Spoons - looks like things are coming along nicely. The 5-miler should be a good little tester after a decent recovery week. Likewise AWC - good to get a 20 in the bank. 

SQ - great racing. Seems like you're in great shape at the moment. Make sure you get some good use out of that pen.

Welcome back Jools - echo NE's thoughts, make sure you're recovered properly, especially after all the travelling!

NE - great news about Chester - always wanted to do that one. 

Had a fairly decent tempo run last night. Katie had 6x800m and luckily her interval pace is around my tempo pace. So I ran the intervals with her before continuing on for 30 seconds, turning around and picking her up on the way back for the next one. Tempo section was 5 miles @ 6.04mm. HR was a touch high but it was very, very humid. 

Posted another quick blog if anyone fancies a read; https://spragginsblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/sub-17-parkrun-im-wales-training/ 

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Welcome back Jools, training should prove a little easier now.

Sounds like you'r being pretty sensible Alan. From what I recall of recent history a marathon at your 95% would be a good step forward so getting to the start line uninjured and not over-trained must be a real focus?

There seems to be lots of recovering going on elsewhere so good luck with that.

Nice Tempo work Joe.

After Sunday I did quite a lot of foam rolling and rested Monday as I'd taken Tuesday off for another big day. I woke up with some soreness still but thought I'd do a short ride, about 50 miles and maybe a longer run. So the route I had planned included a road that had been closed so I headed off in another direction and before I knew it I was 30 miles from home so I just carried on and did 112 miles in the end with a 6 mile run straight after. Feel a bit tired today so I am not sure I can manage another 20 hour + week, which was the plan. The taper starts after this weekend and I can start throwing some quality sessions in.
  • The amount of quality work on here is so impressive. Lots of miles (running and cycling)  and plenty of races also.
    I have never been one for doing lots of races and preferred hard tempo training runs when in a block of training. In the past I've not enjoyed racing tired so haven't raced unless I planned and tapered a bit for them.  I think I will try and change my outlook a bit and try and use races as training.  This might help replicate the last few miles of my key races when I'm already fatigued. 
    That said I did a 8 mile progressive run last night starting at 6.20 and building to 5.19 which felt good. I then did 16 miles today at 6.14 pace which also felt controlled.  If I can hit 5.43s on sunday in the Northampton half I will be very pleased.
  • Reg - Just a bit further than planned then  :D
    Joe - Nice tempo run.
    Phil - Great training.

More recovery here...6 miles. Planning 2018 races!
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:

Sounds like you'r being pretty sensible Alan. From what I recall of recent history a marathon at your 95% would be a good step forward so getting to the start line uninjured and not over-trained must be a real focus?

Bingo! No BAC sessions for me this time round. Keeping one eye on HR and bts/mile figures too to watch out for anything unusual. Still finding it quite difficult to tell the difference between tired legs and overtrained legs though. I guess it just comes with experience.

Nice Ironman distance ride and brick session too Reg, that's a good way to shake off the injury worry.

Nice tempo run Joe.

Solid back to back training Philip, if that was comfortable for you then you'll have no problem on Sunday. Good luck!

Is it that time already Steve?? I suppose I'm already thinking towards London in the spring.

• The ultra is bound to take its toll SteveMac, take it easy and I’m sure the pace will come back to you.

Nice LR AWC.

Solid intervals JohnOz.

Congrats on the 10K SQ, and good luck at parkrun.

Welcome back Jooligan

NE - Definitely agree about weight, it definitely has a strong impact for me. I’m quite skinny so people laugh when I moan about being slow due to weight, but I think part of the reason I’ve been running so fast over the past few weeks is that I’ve finally dropped about 5lbs of my “post marathon” weight.

Speedy 800s for an easy week AlanB! ;)

Great tempo Joe, and your blog was a good read as usual. 

Big ride Reg, not surprised you felt a bit tired afterwards!

Nice progression run Philip. I don’t race during training as much as some, but I do like to have a few in there for exactly the reason you state - good practice running hard on tired legs.

My legs have felt very heavy and achey this week, as usually happens when I take my foot off the gas. Luckily I’m used to it by now, so I’m not panicking, and indeed while running they’ve felt really good. 

I’ve still had a couple of medium-long runs (11 on Tuesday, 13 this morning) but I’ve run them at the easier end of medium-long effort. Despite this though, they’ve been some of my fastest along the canal (7:30/mi on Tuesday, 7:14/mi this morning!) which I always find a little slower than my road routes. This morning was definitely helped by the single-digit temperatures, but regardless definitely shows good progress. Looking forward to hopefully putting in a decent performance on Sunday all being well.

Did anyone see Berlin Marathon have announced Bekele will be joining Kipchoge and Kipsang on 24th September. Could be quite a showdown! Although given Kipchoge's performance at the Nike Breaking2 event, you've got to think the win, and a new WR, is his if he's in the same shape.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Solid stuff Spoons and impressive monthly mileage announced on Strava! Put into context that's the equivalent of over 70% of my running so far this year, just in August! Machine.

I enjoyed the cool sunny temps this morning just an easy 7 miler but @ 6:49 average and comfortably in zone 2 I definitely felt the benefit of good running weather.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Great pace for an easy run Reg, the tri training is really paying off. 

Spoons your easy runs also seem to be speeding up, just think what will happen in your HM when you combine that with the vaporflys!

Welcome back Jooligan, will check out the park and see if my hotel is near it. Good to hear the traffic is sparse early in the morning, I imagined it would be packed 24/7

Nice 800s Alan and good to hear Valencia is on the horizon. Isn't it really flat and fast there?

NE - no I did genuinely think the weight loss will give you extra speed! I follow some ultrarunners on strava and they often run with weight vests to build up the muscle and then it must feel like they are flying on race day. 

Rapid runs Philip, think you are well on track for sub 75. 

Couple of easy days for me before racing a 10k on Sat to see where I'm at. Planning to then do 14 miles @MP next weekend followed by an all out HM PB attack the week after. Bit worried whether I will have recovered enough to do it justice but will just take that week easy with no sessions. 

• Spoons - saw the Berlin field, looks really exciting! It's been a huge August for you, certainly putting in the groundwork for a great outing in Oxford.

Reg - I'm also enjoying the cooler temps. 

John - good luck for the weekend. I'm sure the week will be plenty of time for recovery - you don't want to taper too much if its not the A race.

Ran 12.5 miles this morning but had a much more interesting experience this lunchtime. Katie's bike got nicked last night, but popped up on gumtree this morning - quite obviously hers from the markings. Anyway, I arranged to meet this unsavoury character near my office in Hammersmith. When he turned up, I pretended to inspect the bike before hopping on to 'try it out'. As soon as I was sat on it, I informed him my friends were just there (pointing them out and showing him they were filming) and that the police were on the way.

Safe to say he legged it. All's well that ends well. Wasn't the smartest criminal I've ever come across.