Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardM said:

PMJ - Congrats to your daughter, 4 A's is excellent. What will she be studying? 

#4 is actually my son. When my first was born, I wanted a boy and got a girl. Then I thought, one girl, one boy would be nice but got another girl. The same for the third, but by the time I got 3 girls I thought, 3 girls, a 4th would be sensible and got a boy.

He is studying computer systems engineering, https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/dcs/admissions/undergraduate/cse/. He will graduate in time for the big thrust on autonomous vehicles. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good progress, MsE.
    GD: that's a tough start to the day.  I find fewer, longer reps less intimidating.  I think I'd lose count with 21!  Well done.

My first race for two months was the Avon Road Relays on Sunday.  I'll blame tired legs, the heat and effectively tempo-running as I was on leg 2 for my plodtastic 20.43 for 5km.  A nice 13 mile walk with Mr Jools yesterday to make the most of a sunny bank holiday.  The Wye Valley Way was hilly and pretty quiet, so the perfect combo for active recovery.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not surprising Jools but I thinking you'll do much better at the Half.
    Many congrats PMJ. I stopped at 3 girls, never did have your endurance  :o
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I stopped at one of each - they joined me yesterday to celebrate (?) - today's VoGit 63 milestone . . . .

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Leslie - is the marathon in 9 weeks still a "goer" ?  a good 6 or 7 week training block could pay dividends, if your legs up to it  . . .

Gerard - nice one pacing your pal to a PB, and sounds great weekend of activity with your boy

Gul - good 57 last week, and goodness me - 21 x 400m !!!  you get worse ( or better ) :) 

MsE - 45 mins already - excellent . . . .

PMJ - hmm , one or two accidental miles can happen, but thirteen instead of 5 ?   

Slokey - absolutely epic !!  great report and pics too  . . . . 

Jools - good walking, - I don't particularly enjoy walks further than about 10 miles for some reason . . . .
  • Birch said:

PMJ - hmm , one or two accidental miles can happen, but thirteen instead of 5 ?   

Put it down to pig-headedness. Our gite was not to far off the A16 which is a major north-south toll-road in the region so is pretty obvious. The route went under it at one stage so I knew I had to cross it a second time and I got it (incorrectly) into my mind that I had done so. When it came up I decided that a third crossing would be wrong so I kept on doubling back until eventually I decided that crossing would be OK and I got back.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Slokey very well done ,you earned that cake /Icecream ,the age group competition sounds  really tough .
    GUL 21x400m sounds a big session .
    Jools certainly not the numbers we would expect of you ,heat excuse duly noted .
    Birch nice family pic ,impressive mop of hair for a vogit too ,and many happy returns .Its not over yet for the mara but need to start extending those long runs now if possible,8m doesn't quite cut it unless you are Poacher !

Hope to get a run in later ,did 2 mile on/off with the family first.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - sounds like a nice walk. The 400m intervals were somewhere around 10k pace, so not too taxing. And I had my watch on 200m autolaps (interval function is time based rather than distance) and then stopped when I got close to finishing the number of miles I had in mind!
    Birch - that's a great photo! Many happy returns.
    Leslie - hope you can get out for a run tonight.
    Bagged 2 pairs of Aldi running shoes for £12.99 each with free delivery. They're not great, but seem to do the job okay until they fall to pieces (less miles than they used to I'm afraid but still excellent value!)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    PMJ - For some reason I thought you had 4 girls! Good choice by your son. 

Birch - Such a cool photo! And happy birthday for today, did you partake in a nice Ale or two? 

Jools - Crikey, that's a long walk. Sounds nice though.

Gul - Cracking session! 

Leslie - Sounds like you have your work cut out to me but as Birch says... if you can get a good 7 weeks block of training behind you, you never know, you might surprise yourself. 

Another scorcher here today. 8k at MP for me tonight at dusk. The air felt very sultry tonight, really enjoyed it, was a lovely run. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - sounds like an enjoyable run.
    4 mile recovery/haircut run this morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A quick scan back - good to see MsE progressing. A special mention to SJ on a great event and a lovely looking bike.

Too many photogenic people on here, too!!  :)

Saturday's slow trail run turned into a 17 miler as we mucked about with the route. The 'highlight' being when our path was blocked by a horse and as we contemplated our way around it, I backed into an electric fence and got one hell of an electric shock that went through my body and left my toes like a door was slamming on them. That woke me up! Quickest 2 miles of the run followed!  :D

Got a cracking 12 mile coastal walk done in Dorset on Sunday with some steep climbs to test tired legs.

Last night was a steady 10 miler at 7.19 pace in very warm conditions. Knee grumbled after 2 miles and then settled down with no issues. Will still manage it well and ice it as per the proper routine, just to be on the safe side.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    SUP season nearly over it seems with the rain here today, Gerard.  If you still have sunshine you are very lucky.  Well done on more MRP running.  I reckon the better you are at conserving your matches over 26.2, the more likely it is you will absolutely beast that goal so all this practice at pacing can only be a good thing.

PMJ - we have the boy and three girl combo too but MsEsq is the eldest.  Speaking of siblings, yours, Birch, are absolutely gorgeous.  You must be very proud of them. 

Solid start to winter training, Jools.

Excellent 10 mile session earlier on, Gul.

Sounds like a nasty surprise shock, GD.  Was the horse riderless?  The best way to approach a horse and move it over is to guide it by putting pressure on it's shoulder.  Or you can try leading it by its forelock if it is super calm.  They are prey animals (eyes on side of head) so approaching from the side slowly stops them getting anxious.  Good stuff on the steady 10.  I reckon lots of runs in the 7-8m/m range will nicely boost your aerobic fitness while letting the knee settle down.  None of that sub-7 stuff for now.  The marathon is an aerobic event after all.

30 mins easy in the woods with the dogs.  Trying to decide what I want the pup to do while running.  He's 12 months now so I can bring him on more of my runs. Either I train him to run to heel (like dog no. 1) or I go for the cani-x option.  Hmmm.  Finished off with core and callisthenics for 40 mins.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - excellent shoe bargain hunting !  

GDawg - excellent miles walking & running ( not to mention livestock avoidance and subsequent shock) ! 

Gerard - no ales at all, as it happens, but did partake of the grape . . . . . . and off out shortly for food and drink with my friend :)  

so, no excuses, but not much running this week - 4 on Monday, zero yesterday, just 3 today - but was able to do most of the 4 at "tempo" effort, and insert a few "strideouts" into the 3 - hamstring improving steadily  . . . .

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - I love the way your fit your runs in with a trip to the barbers. :smiley:

Birch - Ah, the grape......! Nice substitute for the Ale. Enjoy your meal with your friend. Excellent news re the hamstring. Onward and upward my friend. 

MsE - Last night was a sign of the change in the weather, it was sultry and threatening to turn into a storm and it rained a little today and was not warm at all. I cycle to work nowadays and felt a chill on the bike. I was not impressed but I'm hoping it was just a blip but I do think the bank holiday weekend was the last real blast of what I call proper heat, although most people I know were complaining and saying it was unbearable etc but I love it and was sat outside in my garden just in shorts until about 10pml last night. All being well I will move to a much warmer place when Seb grows up. I think I may have been adopted as a child, abandoned by a latino mother. Hehe, only kidding. There's Spanish and Italian in our bloodlines. Good work out again for you today. You would make an awesome fitness coach. 

G-Dawg - Oh my, that sounded very scary but thankfully you came out of it ok. You're knocking out some very impressive runs. You've definitely got some good speed endurance in you but you'll do well to heed MsE's advice. 

Double run for me today, 16k early doors before work and then 10k tonight. All easy pace bar a one mile shake out at 6:4x pace with a friend, which felt super easy. I was chatting to my new running buddy tonight and she was asking me if I find it difficult juggling my training with all the various people I run with, It was a really thought provoking question for me. When I first got into running I used to run a lot with various like minded people and was absolutely overcome with enthusiasm with my new found love of a pursuit that I truly enjoyed that made me feel more alive than ever and I wanted to share that feeling with as many people as I possibly could. At this particular point in my life, my now ex wife was not coping well with this. Coincidentally and oddly enough, most of my running buddies were female, younger than I and they were all just really keen to run when ever and that's all it was. To that end, things went pear shaped and I then began to run mostly solo and used to flog myself on most of my runs, just to keep the peace but also to be able to escape and it became a bad habit that I loved. Fast forward a few years and lots of water under the bridge and my passion for running has grown and I have become a much disciplined runner by choice. Recovery has become as important for me now and I have no issues with runners passing me when I'm out on a run and what's more, I really enjoy the diversity of the sport that we all love, over the past 3 years since my life took a massive turn I have made the most wonderful friends, some of who keep me on my toes and others keep me in check. Yes of course I have a competitive streak and like to push myself but the friendships I've made through running and the places it has taken me and where I have yet to go, is the best thing ever. I just felt the need to write about this at this very moment in time, so please forgive the self indulgence. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Maybe I should have read the MsE quote before venturing out tonight? Sorry, Missus!   :#
    5 mile tempo at 6.29 pace. Only 5 miles and knee was fine. 

Nice to feel strong. Spilts ranged from 6.39 to 6.17.
    Thinking about 2 days rest before Saturday's LSR, just to make sure, like...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birth Birch and a very nice family pic.Celebrate for sure!
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Hello Sub 3:15ers, I thought I'd drop by after a long absence posting on the forum. It is great to see so many familar names still out there pounding the roads and trails and doing great things.
    I occasionally have a quick read up on what you are all up to as motivation (including MsE's recovery) to get back into running.

I've kept away from the forums due to little or no running since London 2014 due to various achilles problems, so other than a moan there hasn't been much to write about. I had managed to get back to 4 miles every other day at the end of last year before things brokedown once more. I've 5 more weeks of walking before I ease back into some running. The surgeon is using words like 'lower expectatons' so before this turns into that moan I will wish you all well, and will sign off. :)
  • Hi AR! Great to hear from you. Hope all is well even if the running is requiring more patience.

Lovely post GM.

I agree MsE - you'd make a great coach! ;) 

Very happy birthday Birch you massively old git!

As for kids, we've got the "three boys then a gap before a girl" combo. Who knew that girls could be such hard work?! #4 is away with us at the moment - quite a character.

Have been quite moved by the scale and beauty of Canada - would highly recommend it if you haven't been....

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
  • Lake Maligne - amazing

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - shocking! Some good running, including the tempo run!
    MsE - I imagine that it's better for you if your dog can run to heel, but lots of hard work in the first place!
    Birch - glad to hear the hamstring is improving.
    GM - not self-indulgent, just very honest. I have one or two friends who I can chat to about running, but running itself is still very much a solo thing for me.
    Also-ran - great to hear from you again. Hope things work out for you on the running front this time. Let us know how you're getting on!
    SJ - I would love to visit Canada.
    14 miles this morning. 1 w/u @ 9:07, 8 easy @ 8:20 and 5 MP @ 7:17.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say that makes 220 for the month and 1393 so far for the year.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, what beautiful pictures, SJ.  Canada is on the to-do list, along with a lot of ther places!

GM: lovely post.  I think most of us find running means different things to us at different times: sometimes I'm really interested in pushing myself, other times I just need to bimble.

8 miles yesterday, going up one side of the Avon Gorge, over the Clifton Suspension Bridge, and back down the other side.  After 15 years in Bristol I still don't get tired of how amazing the gorge can look on a sunny afternoon - or indeed a frosty morning!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I forgot to say happy b'day to Birch I was so busy gawping at the gorgeous offspring.  Good to hear you are moving in the right direction too.

I feel like you have really developed as a runner since joining the thread, Gerard.  I recall the early days and you seem to be in a happy place now. Running is a lovely ally during the good and bad times isn't it?  I consider it my lifelong best friend.  "I wish I hadn't gone on that run", said no runner ever. ;)  

Lovely to see you back, Also-ran.  Stick around and be another person I can boss around here! But seriously, I recall how running became rather all consuming for you and this wasn't always to your benefit. However, I am a firm believer in it being a positive asset in ones life (sound body and mind etc) soooooo, if we can be of help to guide you back to regular running, let's see what we can do shall we?

Hang on, SJ! I'm coming over.....! It looks stunning there.  Lake Maligne in particular.  Glad you got a girl in the mix.  I am sure it is helpful for mine to have a member of the opposite sex to observe through adolescence and remove the mystery behind them.  

Tasty session, Gul

47 mins for me today. Longest time on feet so far! Preceded by 25 mins of core and some extra single leg deadlifts (to challenge balance with my posterior chain) and sumo squats (to strengthen the glute med). Off for a follow up with the physio in an hour. Haven't seen him for some time and it is just a check up on progress.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Also-ran Don't be a stranger just because you are having a few problems 
    Slokey looks like a great place enjoy the holiday,you have earned it !
    Gul nice bit of mara pace,  should be good for a "3:10",decent month too !
    Jools sounds like your running mojo might be back 
    MSE busy busy x training as usual and a decent run too.
    5 easy yesterday , 2 walk and 5m easy tonight again .

48m this month and 1787m for the year 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    AR - Good to see you are still keeping tabs on us all, I hope you recover from the issues with the achilles. 

MsE - I hope your check up went well. And, I totally agree with you re running being a lifelong friend. It's 7 years to this day that I started running. When did you get the bug? 

SJ - Amazing looking place. Have lots of fun exploring. 

Gul - Great run there.I can't recall if you signed up for a marathon this Autumn? 

Jools - That place with the gorge sounds spectacular. Now't wrong with a bimble every now and then. :)

Leslie - Building back up  nicely. I hope your patience pays off. 

Another double day for me. 11k early doors easy with some hills in the countryside and 11k tonight along the promenade. All super easy pace. Rest day tomorrow and doing the math, with a few k's/miles pre parkrun on Saturday with some w/d miles afterwards and a long run on Sunday I should hit the 113k mark for the week, in old money, 70 miles or thereabouts. That would be my biggest week ever by about 9 miles. The double days seems to work really well for me and my legs don't feel fatigued at all, I put it down to two things really, 1. Most of my runs are really easy (8:15-8:30mm) and 2. I'm not doing weekly speed sessions as I have done in the past. The logic behind this is that I don;t seem to benefit massively from doing them i.e. I can run a sub 20 min 5k in training by not doing them & without too much discomfort and my recovery from the speed sessions is very slow compared to others I know. Also, I do not plan to be running fast come marathon day, so it seems like a good fit for me. The MP miles are the important sessions for me and I'll try do a 15 miler at MP before the big day, I've managed 13.1 so far and it was fine but that was with the benefit of a tow from a much faster runner.  

• Jools - presumably you crossed back over again at some point?
    MsE - I bet the physio was impressed with your progress.
    Leslie - building up nicely. 7:17 m/m would just sneak a 3:10, but I can't see me getting anywhere near that.
    GM - good plan with the doubles and high mileage. I haven't booked it yet, but hoping to do the Norfolk Coastal again at the end of October. This year it's on much more familiar territory for me (Morston Quay to Holme).
    8 miles with 6 x 45 sec "hill" sprints and 8 x 100m strides. Just enough daylight. May well be the last time I can do that session this year unless I can set off later in the morning.
  • Gul: yes, well spotted.  But that's a very mundane bridge which I can't get excited about.  Brunel would weep!  A nice speedy start to the day for you.

MsE
    : you're very dedicated to your rehab, and I'm sure it will pay dividends.

• MsE - I'm looking for some advice which I think you may be able to offer. I have been experiencing a slight funny feeling in my left ankle for the past 3 weeks or so. It's only really noticeable when I start off on my runs, it's not really painful at all but just feels different to the other one if you get what I'm trying to say. I'm not overly concerned but I was wondering what sort of strengthening exercises you could recommend? Any thoughts would be really welcome and much appreciated. :smile: