Options

Comrades 2018

Comments

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Yes, rumours were true for a change.  I'm hoping it doesn't result in a longer course.  The course could be more direct in places so perhaps there is a saving to be made.
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    I don't think they'll want to make it much longer than 90 as that wouldn't be Comrades!  (she says hopefully)
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I've looked at what I think could be workable route changes and see options for not much more than about 0.1km longer - I hope it will not be more than that!
  • Options
    Well, well. The finish venue finally changes! It had been rumoured for every down run since 2010!

I'm sure the course will be longer...
  • Options
    Two days left until we can enter!

Entry for Lakeland 50 also opens on Friday - and that will fill almost immediately, so I need to decide whether I'm going for that - it's on Saturday 28th July, so only seven weeks after Comrades. I want to do it, then the 100 in 2019. I'm aiming to do a fairly flat 100 about 3 months before Comrades and to generally keep my fitness up from now on (assuming no major injuries). Thoughts?
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Do it.  I've done a 50 miler 4 weeks after Comrades with no problems (apart from getting lost).  I did Race to the Stones, which is 100k, in mid-July last year.  Of course, neither of these would be as hilly or gnarly as Lakeland 50 but I don't think that would make much of a difference.
  • Options
    Becca, Running Rodent, Debra - thank you all! That's very helpful of you. I'll contact the Comrades guys and keep your advice in mind re qualifiers etc. Will post if any updates...
  • Options
    Becca, thanks. I'll see if I can get in!
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Hi all.  New finish huh.  Will be interesting to be sure.  I think they can do it without a substantial increase in distance, but I think practically they are forced to increase it about 1.5km in order too use more main roads.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Oh no! 1.5 km extra? My fastest, and only, down run time is 11:57:58, so that leaves 2 minutes and 2 seconds to complete the extra 1500m. World record for the 1500m is currently 3 minutes and 26 seconds set by Hicham El Guerrouj in 1998! I better get training :) its about time it was broken :)
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Someone is quoted in the press conference yesterday as saying it'll be the "same route as 2016  except for the last 8km.."
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Yes, different last 8km and like lowrez said, no Tollgate but the route to the 2016 stadium was not the most direct and I'm hoping that their mapping skills are as good as Terry's above.  If it's only 0.1km that won't be so bad but a good point Dannirr about the main roads.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

0.1km=100m, so I would be OK for that, just another 9.58 seconds required :)

• Options
    Given the hard cut-off, I think they have to not increase the distance too much?
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I heard it would be 89.2km, which is about 84.2km further than I can run at the moment.

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Sorry if you are still struggling Bike It. Is it the same thing that has been bothersome?
  • Options
    hello all.....I'm still around.. been back running extremely slowly, but have started work and starting to do the 15 miles each way as  a bike commute on occasions..twice this week and hoping to increase.....tried the run in last thursday and train home and that worked although I was really slow.......
    try and do that weekly soon....
     so will be ready to enter the race and crossing fingers that i can speed up enough to get the qualifying time at loch ness in a few months

I love lakelands.....done the 50, 3 times and the 100 once
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Yes it is my persistent problem Becca. I'm running 5km twice a week at the moment. Baby steps for now
  • Options
    Bike it, sympathies and good luck for progress.

seren nos, good work and keep going! Lakeland 50 was what got me started on ultras, when I'd just told my husband I was going to stick with half marathons due to lack of time to train for a marathon...
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Ok, I'm registered for 2018
  • Options
    Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    I'm in too. 
    For the charity runners, Hillcrest Aids Center Trust is one of the options this year. Putting a plug in for them :)
    I've been supporting them for the last 3 years, great charity doing great work in the valley and they are on the route so a nice booster when you run past.

Happy qualifying all 
  • Options
    Well, no Lakeland 50 for me next year. :-( Started trying to enter at 9 am when entries opened. It said I needed an SI Entries ID. by the time it didn't remember my email/password combination and I filled in my details to get a new ID (all at glacial pace) it was 09:10 and all entries for the 50 had run out. I can try for one of the charity fund-raising places next week I suppose. Or go for the Ridgeway 86 next year and hope they accept that as sufficiently "mountainous" to meet the requirements to enter the Lakeland 100 the following year.
  • Options
    Comrades entry site originally timed out on me, but now I've managed to get through so I'm in!
  • Options

I'm in too :) collecting for World Vision again this year as my work are double matching a big slice of what I collected last year and the cogs of transfer have not yet completed so it will be credited to this 2018 trot. I should go in to an early Race4Charity lead with 64,915 ZAR landing quite soon :)

Hope you can work through the recovery BikeIT; you gotta run this last bit:-

• Options
    Seren, great progress! Have you booked Belaire Suites yet, massive UK posse hanging out there this year :)
  • Options
    That pic of the finish looks great.  Anyway, I'm in.  

I was reading something that Norrie Williamson posted yesterday about how the route was either going to be longer or there would be an extra hill to get over the ridge into Morningside.  The run into Durban always had some sneaky uphill bits though.

Bike It I hope your patience will be rewarded.

Great to see that you are making progress Seren.

Sorry that you didn't get into Lakeland 50 Debra, it would have been great prep for the 100 so I hope that you can get in via the charity route.
  • Options
    Becca, if we are not running Tollgate then I guess its the end of the feeder lane onto it, 45th cutting? Which is a nasty little climb at that stage of The Down. I don't mind trading that in for a "nicer" hill :)
  • Options
    Yes, that one is a nasty little one but had the benefit of being short.
  • Options
    So shall we open a book on where the new route will go? Here is my pitch; lower yellow line is the old route upper yellow line is my new route. Quite a climb though through Overport, maybe there is a flatter option somewhere?