Yorkshire Marathon, is it really flat and fast?

oldscotiaoldscotia ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Events
I have been unable to find any recent reviews of the Yorkshire Marathon. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
 Also I have entered the Yorkshire because it is claimed to be fast and flat. I have done London, Edinburgh and Manchester. These are pretty flat. Is the Yorkshire flatter or faster? If you have run the Yorkshire Marathon I would like to hear your views.

Comments

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    It is a great marathon, not really hilly, but there is one long uphill (but not steep) bit. I am never fast so can't comment on the fast bit :)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    It is mostly flat - there are a few undulations but nothing serious until the short, sharp hill at 25.5 miles!  Once you're up and over that you have a nice downhill spring to the finish.  I know a few runners who have PB'd there so it does have 'fast' potential.
  • HI, I've run 3 marathons, all within 12 months, all similar level of fitness, and the times were Paris 4hrs, 16 mins, Yorkshire 3hrs, 45 mins and Manchester 4hrs, 13 mins so yes I would go with Yorkshire being a good PB run.
    I think though the main thing was in Yorkshire I wasn't particularly expecting it to be fast and flat so when it was it was a pleasant surprise whilst in Manchester I was thrown by any hill cos I wasn't expecting them. Also because Manchester has the fast and flat reputation I went all out, and fell apart whilst in Yorkshire I ran a much more relaxed race and the good time took me by surprise.
  • tmholttmholt ✭✭✭
    It isn't hilly, but it's no Manchester: my garmin measured ~50m elevation in Manchester, and ~100m in York (although Manchester felt flatter than that to me, and York felt more undulating).
  • Hi,

I'm hoping to run my first marathon this year at the Yorkshire Marathon in October 2017. Most I've run is 13.1 miles so far, then I was off with a hip injury for 7 weeks until this week. I've managed 10 fine last week with no pain! :-)

Any advice from anyone? Do you think it's doable to get myself up to at least 20 miles before the big day with just about 9 weeks training now
  • runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Depends on how much you want it and whether the hip can handle it.  Everyone is different but if it was me with 10 weeks to go I'd try 12 miles this weekend and up it by 1.5 to 2 miles each week to make sure I get three approx 20 milers in before tapering.    
  • Cari_Llewelyn90 Yes, you absolutely can do it, it's your first marathon, there's no time pressure, it's a guaranteed PB. Just take it steady and focus on getting round!
  • My training isn't going to plan at moment... don't seem to be able to get a good long run 15 +.... my heart rate just seems to go through the roof within the first 2-3 miles.

Think the answer is too just throw the HRM in the bin.

• First long run planned for Sunday, was planned for last weekend but I've pulled something in my heel while play fighting with the dog! luckily it doesn't hurt when I'm running. I always get some sort of injury along the way. Jonny, I would leave the H/R monitor at home too, I usually forget mine anyway.  It takes  me 2 or 3 miles to get into it then I just take it steady end enjoy the run. 4th time running this event for me, parking and transport booked, just got to put the miles in now. I'm determined to run up that damn hill at 25.5miles this yr.
  • Hill .... What hill at 25.5m  ? ? ?

Didn't look at HRM during weekend Long Run and managed 15.5m so feeling slightly better about things... last nights 6mile was a ball ache though.

Going for build up over next couple of weeks to 20mile before the week all inclusive in Tenerife sets me back a couple of weeks !!!

• Starting to up the miles now, 16 miles last Sunday, the heat didn't help much but on the plus side I got round injury free! planning on 18 miles this Sunday and it's forecast rain, my favorite running weather. Just 7 weeks to go, then start it all over again for Manchester! Hope everyone else's training is going to plan.
  • upping the long runs now, 16 miles week before last, 18.5 last week, just 10 yesterday due to lack of time, I was hoping to do 20 but guess that will have to wait until next week now. Less than 6 weeks to go! I've been enjoying the long runs and remaining relatively injury free. Is everyone else doing O.k? This is the tough bit, but will soon be taper time.
  • Hi all - am doing this one. Not particularly going to plan. For the first time ever I'm not following a schedule but really need to come in in under 5hours so hoping I can hang on in there. Travel and hotel booked. Going to hopefully do my first 20miler on Monday  :|
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this race. I was torn between Chester and Yorkshire but there looked to be less elevation at York so went with that. Watched the highlights a couple of times on the tv and the atmosphere looked great. 

Training has been going ok. Managing to get some decent miles in despite a bout of Plantar Fasciitis over the last couple of months. Got a 20 mile race today which I'm hoping to run 15 at marathon pace in. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Did 10+laps of York Racecourse this morning to make up a 20 miler.  16, 18, 20, 20,20 on the long run board so far here.  Bus or a lift to the start for me so a cheap day out.  By contrast I'm doing the Valencia Marathon 6 weeks later so York will be a training run of sorts.  Looking forward to both.
  • Just about holding onto the plan... barring the week all inclusive in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago !

Plan to do 2 x 20 miles over next couple weeks and then decide what sort of taper to go for !

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Race went pretty well on Sunday. Ran the first 5 miles steady in just over 30 mins then managed to put 15 together around 5.40 pace to run 1.55 for 20 miles. Managed to win the race too which was a bonus. 
    My foot was bloody sore the day after but has eased today. 
  • Got to 19 miles on Saturday in just under 3 hours, not overall happy so probably going to go for 2 week taper and run 18 miles of the Hull Marathon (24 Setp) as a full trial of plan on the day !

Did 10 x 800m Yasso's last night and each in the 4 min targets. just not comfortable with the long distance legs yet. Going to do 20miles again this weekend ad decide if to do Hull or just start the taper !!

• Final long run planned for Saturday, last weeks was cut short to 14 miles, was one of those days, a bit of pain in one foot so didn't want to risk anything. A bit of a knee twinge too with the higher milage but the foam roller usually sorts that out for me. Can't decide on my shoe choice either, been breaking in a new pair for the last month with no problems at all but never done a Marathon in this shoe model. Or use the shoe they replaced and is my usual Marathon shoe, but have lost a lot of their cushioning etc. with far too many miles on them. Probably go with the older tried and tested ones and follow the nothing new rule. Good luck everyone and enjoy the taper!
  • Training had been slowly getting better and I had a similar bad run day last sunday.... plan to do 20 - 22... did 11 and that was with couple walking breaks.... no explanation apart from I was feeling little hot and sweaty before setting off !

Therefore switched to a 2 week taper now and entered the Hull Marathon where I plan to only run 18 miles at pace im gonna do on 8 October then drop out at Humber Bridge.  

Good 10 mile at a decent pace to get confidence back last night  and feel good today.

• 2 days! good luck everyone. I would have liked to make the start line injury free but I jarred my knee at work a week ago and have been hammering the ibuprofen all week. It has loosened up a lot so going to risk it and maybe drop back a zone. Just going to enjoy it.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sleep well everyone.  Weather looks set fair!  :)
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Tough going today! 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Had a look for you at the start ML84 without success.  Congrats on a top 5 position, 2nd & 3rd were the same last year behing Marders.

Worst bit of the course for me was the centre of York early on, lots of bumps, cobbles and exposed drain covers.  Otherwise a top event, well organised.
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Wardi. Happy with 4th and a small pb. From 15 miles onwards I was struggling physically and mentally. Think I need a crack at London where the crowds are bigger as there was some lonely stretches there yesterday as I ran from mile 5 to the end completely on my own. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    ML.. Barcelona is worth a punt (March).  About half the numbers of VLM but still has a big city feel.  The Expo, Start & Finish are all in one place so as long as your hotel is nearby it is a very stress free experience.  Fantastic course and a good quality field.  In the autumn Frankfurt is flat & fast and again everything is in one place.
  • I've signed up for the 2018 York marathon. I've done 5 halves (and will do a further 3 before October). Anyone got any advice? What are the highlights of the course?

Thanks