P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Joe - You couldn't make it up, that's brilliant. Although I think smashing him around the head with a baseball bat may have topped it.
  • Impressive reps, Alan. Especially in lane 3!

Good partner training, Joe. Will try that one day.

Great work, Reg. Impressive unplanned 112M! Really intrigued to see how you'll go at IM and the subsequent marathon. Although surprised to see on your strava that was your first bush run. Since becoming an early morning runner, I think there are periods when I have a 25% hit rate. 

Great progression and MLR back to back, Phil. I think racing is personal - I really enjoy the atmosphere of local races, the social side and pushing myself. And when it is trail there are no serious time goals so I just enjoy pushing myself in that particular context.

Spoons - that's interesting that you feel a bit worse in recovery weeks, that's definitely the case for me right now. More excellent MLRs and a hell of a monthly mileage! Very exciting about Berlin. Will try to find a live stream somewhere.

I can't come close to matching Spoons' mega monthly mileage, but at 306M it is a record for me. Summer holidays have helped in this regard, and even if I don't manage the same mileage from now until Abingdon, it will still be good training in the bank. The easy week continued with a 6/4 double on Tuesday then 11.7M with 3 x 10 mins at MP effort yesterday. Very tired after.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    It's not my first SQ. Nice mileage.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good detective work Joe. Hope they catch the f**cker.
    Immense mileage Spoons & a cracking total from SQ too. My monthly total is a somewhat less impressive 165 - lowest since 2014 when I was focusing on the bike ready for IM Wales. Haven't even got that excuse this time. On the plus side it's my highest month since April.
  • Good work, Joe. You'll be a guest presenter on Rogue Traders soon enough. 
  • I had a dream last night that someone stole my P3, Joe and it's all your fault.
  • Joe - Hope they catch him!
    SQ & Spoons - Immense mileage from you both!

133 mile here for August, but 63 of those were from one run :D
  • Nice detective work Joe!

Reg that's some awesome bike mileage. 

SQ - nice MP session for an easy week. 

Disappointing 10k today, started off too fast and then was just holding on. Legs didn't seem to have any pop and barely made it under 40 mins. Only upside is exactly the same thing happened last year in the same race and I still managed to PB 2 weeks later in the HM. To top it off I had to peg it back home to look after the kids so now legs are toast. 
  • Ah well John... I think a lot of people would be happy with a poor sub-40.

I did the 11 w 7@HMP run last night.  I don't know my HMP so ran to heart rate of around 88% of HR Max... It gave me a pace of 7:46 so I'm still slow  and think sub 3:30 in Chester will be a big challenge, but I detect a small incremental improvement and I kept to the pace/HR without too much bother. Glad to finish, but could have done a bit more if my life depended on it!
  • Nice work NE, good to see improvements.
    Good effort John, I'd be happy with 40 minutes for 10K atm.
    Well after a few weeks plodding it was back to full time racing this w/e for me.
    I kicked off proceedings Friday evening with the Glos County Champs Pt3. First up was the Mile. I'd predicted a 5:55 for race seeding & was hoping I might possibly be closer to 5:50. We set off quick although I didn't but after 100m I was into my stride and after 200m I'd passed all but one lad feeling relatively comfortable but then I heard the 1st split: 80s for 400m! Ooops! Knowing this was unsustainable I deliberately eased off but the damage was done. Went through 809m in 2:52 then hit the bell in 4:23 & hung on even managing to pick up slightly along the home straight to finish 5:52.1 Nothing special but a SB & AG Gold. We then had a 2hr wait before the 10,000m as I was in the B race. I was hoping for around 40 minutes but knew this was probably a bit optimistic. I knew pacing would be key & was spot on 96s laps for the first 4 but then started to slip slightly reaching 5K in 20:15. Unfortunately I couldn't even hold 98s laps & slipped a few 1:40 laps in before picking it up slightly with 3 to go. Finished strongly but it was still only good enough for 41:21.0.
    Today was another double delight. Kicked off with my first visit to Gnoll parkrun nr Neath. Not a flat course (400ft of climb) with some rough stony sections through the woods to mess with the stride too. Nearly didn't find it in time so only had the briefest of warm-ups, legs felt stiff from yesterday's racing & the 95 min drive so I knew this wasn't going to be great. Reasonably happy with 21:33 for 6th in the circumstances. I then headed off to find Tafarn Y Garreg: race HQ for the Fan Brycheiniog Fell Race. Another first for me as last year's inaugural event clashed with a XC w/e. It was billed as 14K with 840m of ascent but as it's not along a marked route this is apt to vary. I managed to add about 1200m although I avoided adding any significant climbing. Fatigue got the better of me and once I'd been overtaken by a number of people I'd normally not see during a race I jogged the rest enjoying the fantastic scenery on a superb day. Pint, chips & bruschetta in the pub rounded off a very enjoyable Autumn day.
  • Impressive disappointing 10k John - and hopefully bodes well for you half. 

Good effort NE. 11 w 7 is a fearsome session!

And Jooligan - 4 races in less than 24 hours. Not bad! 

Having had a nice easy week I took the chance to maximise the perfect conditions for parkrun. Great weather and legs finally feeling a bit fresher. It is a new route with more climbing, but fewer very tight turns (find my acceleration out of them is always poor compared to those around) and less overtaking. Pushed hard up the first hill and tried to hold on from there. A little group just broke ahead leaving me in no mans land, but very happy to beat my PB and run 18:08. And they had a PB bell and everything. 

Having had a look at next week's calendar I decided I would do a long long (not by our ultra friend's standards of course) run today not next week. Left at 5:15am for 24 miles. Forgot to charge my watch so used my phone without any HR feedback. Kept it all easy so was surprised to hear 3 sub 7 min miles coming in. About 7:20mm average. Somehow this had resulted in my easy week again getting to 70M. Mustn't grumble. Brilliantly, I was briefly joined by a man in full black tie outfit how ran on the opposite side of the road to me. He just seemed to appear from the pitch black - pretty spooky. 

• Northampton Half marathon went better than expected! I actually led from mile 8 til about 400 metres from the finish, when I turned my ankle in a off road section. I lost my focus and the guy who was in second seized the opportunity (rightfully so) and sprinted for the win. 
    Pleased to get a qualification time for London (finished in 1h12m50) and actually went much faster than I intended.
    I just hope the ankle doesn't balloon and I can build up my miles a bit more in the next few weeks.
  • Philip that's amazing running well done. Excited to see what you'll do in the spring with a solid build up. 
  • Thanks SQ, so am I to be honest. Looking forward to a good 6 week build then Manchester half.
  • Presumably a pb then Philip?  Hard luck with the ankle, hope it's ok, but great result.
    SQ... pick the right course and 17.xx looks within sight. High mileage paying off for the shorter stuff.
    Jooligan.. typical!  Good running.

not much to report here. Haven't run this weekend... but going up and down a ladder painting the facias and windows left my legs knackered yesterday.  Then family stuff today. Disappointed not to get in a long run but hope to nip out soon and get in a few.   For me, a 35 mile week is really solid marathon training so I need to do 9.  Promised to watch a film with my daughter at 9.30 so I better get on with it!
  • John - don't worry too much about it - sometimes you don't have the day you quite want. You can go again in 2 weeks, and I'm sure you'll be flying.

NE - always a big session that. Sounds like you certainly put the work in, keep doing so and the rewards will come with it.

Jooligan - just ridiculous, you're an absolute machine!

SQ - you're going so well at the moment mate. Saw the PB on Strava - great stuff. Bizarre about the guy in full on black tie..

phillip - that's an unbelievable run, you must be made up. Massive congrats. See you on the start in London. 

Ran an in the Surrey road relays Saturday afternoon. 6 legs of about 2.9 miles each, on a course with one massive hill. Ran hard and ended up around 5km PB pace. We came 5th, only missing out on a county medal by a minute or so.

Was on the bike at 5.45 this morning to get 3 hours in before the Maidenhead half marathon. Then I was on supporting duties for Katie who was running. Long story short, she ran a 1.28, another 10 minute PB after her 10 minute PB in May. So she will be joining those of you also on the champs start at London next year - I'll make sure to introduce you all!

In another quirk, a lady running one minute up the road from Katie was looking strong throughout, so I offered up my support on multiple occasions. For those who've been on this thread for a while, it turned out to be Slow Koala! I had no idea until I saw the results afterwards. 

• That's immense from Katie & pretty good from yourself too JB.
    I don't think many of us were surprised to hear you smashed the 75min mark at Northampton Phil based on the brief training resume we'd seen. Well done though & hope the ankle's OK tomorrow.
    Well done SQ. Incidentally my clubmate, who you introduced yourself to at FoD HM, won the Cheltenham parkrun after also racing the Mile & 10,000m on Friday then proceeded to come 2nd in a 10K today with another sub 37!
    Looking for Part 2 of Ron Hill's autobiography tonight I discovered I'd found an absolute bargain as Part 1 goes for £50-£70 but I picked it up for £1.50 :) Part 2 is similarly sought after though :(
  • Ankle seems ok thanks so should be ok to push on a bit next week. My longest run in a long while was only 15 miles and my weekly mileage about 45 for the last 6 weeks, and before that about 25-30, so I wasn't sure if I would hold on for 13 hard miles. 

Great result for Katie with the 1h28.
  • Great result Philip, I trust there will be no more sandbagging from now on?

Another great PB for Katie, Joe. Nice relay run for the supporting act.

Jooligan, nice to see you're slowly easing your way back into racing on your return from China  ;)

Solid 10k John and good weekend SQ, strong long run and nice PR PB.

Easy longish bike for me on Saturday and 16 miles @ 7:15 pace this morning. Didn't look at the HR until after and it was recovery effort so I am keen to test myself with a race but I am too scared to risk it pre Ironman. Would be nice to at least have something on PO10 in 2017!
  • John - still a decent 10k when targetting a half. Have you a target in mind ?
    NE - sounds like a hard session, well done.
    Phil - great result and congrats on the Champs place.
    Jooligan - I dont know how you get yourself up for 4 races in weekend, well done though.
    Cracking easy week SQ, especially with that long run.
    Similarly great pace for a recovery effort Reg, if it were me I'd not risk it either.
    Well done on the relay JB, no idea why but I imagine the standard is quite high in Surrey.  Good cheerleading for both Katie & SK, both gaining great results.

A local (almost the bottom of my street) 12hr Enduro for me yesterday, as many 4m laps between 9am and 9pm as you can.  I managed 16 for 64 miles. I was first male last year with exactly the same distance but a few faster guys turned up this year so I was one lap off the podium.  I'm happy to match last years performance given the last 4 months have felt like one long recovery schedule without being able to press on but a shame I couldn't squeeze one more lap out.  Anyway, a great event, especially on home turf.
  • Congrats to both Joe and Katie for making the champs start, that's massive leaps in improvement. What times do you think she is capable of?

Great race Philip, sounds like you had more in the tank so sub 2:30 must be really doable if you stay fit. 

Impressive LR SQ especially at that pace. 

Jooligan - seems you get faster the more races you do! Well done on the win. 

Nice session NE, always good to get that one out of the way and can now introduce speed. 

Macca - always good to be able to walk to a race, was it an interesting lap to run? Can't quite imagine 16 laps anywhere to keep me sane. 

Easy 20 miles with a faster 5k to finish yesterday. Pace nothing special but after the 10k on Sat it was good enough. 

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Back from a week in Slovenia last night. You know your holiday is over when you arrive back in London to miserable weather like this. Had an awesome week with the family, only ran once, just a 7ish mile run from our cottage around Lake Bled, so should be refreshed. Just need to sharpen up now for Windsor half in 3 weeks.

Haven't read back over everything. 

Another sneaky ultra Macca, great work.

Great to hear there will be a couple of extras on the champs start in London next year.
    Phil - Great result in Northampton, hopefully the ankle recovers ok and you can build up the mileage. Like Reg says, no more sandbagging.
    Joe - Awesome improvement from Katie to get a champs qualifying time. I remember you saying just after London that her running wasn't going that well so it's been an amazing turnaround. Quite the running couple now. Good to see you get your parkrun PB too. Nice work with the stolen bike too. Did I read correctly that Reg is having dreams about you now? That's a sure sign you need to back off on the training Reg.

Good to see normal service is resumed for Jooligan, racing 6 or 7 times over the weekend.

Good 10k time from John too, despite being a bit disappointed. Hopefully means there's a better one in there. 

Great consistent mileage from SQ. Easy week my arse.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Been awol for a few weeks and have a lot of catching up to do!

We got the chance of booking a last minute holiday deal to Menorca so took the opportunity and had a fantastic fortnight.

The training plan went out the window but I was getting up at 6ish most days to beat the heat and just kept things ticking over. Probably ran about 120 miles in the 2 weeks but with very little quality and a longest run of just 14 miles! Back to work tomorrow so going to attempt a long run shortly followed by a good read back of the many pages I have missed.

A quick glance and a few fantastic performances jump off the page-Katie and Phil (potential for new thread sandbagging champ?) in particular whilst normal service seems to have been resumed by Macca with a casual Ultra and Jooligan with 5 races across the weekend! 
  • HA77 said:

Did I read correctly that Reg is having dreams about you now? That's a sure sign you need to back off on the training Reg.

No.
  • It was the thief that featured.
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    It was the thief that featured.
    The thief that stole Reg's heart. aka Joe.
  • Good work getting Katie’s bike back Joe, and nice work at the relays. Katie’s HM performance is just incredible - 20 minutes off her HM time in less than six months is very impressive.

Bad luck on the 10K JohnOz, but everyone has off days, it happens sometimes. Nice 20 miler to follow it up.

Nice work NE, at least you’re seeing improvements.

Another quiet weekend Jooligan, good to see normal service resuming… ;)

Great long run SQ, and congrats on the PB. You’d definitely be sub-18 at Pitchcroft by the sounds of it. I’m probably going to run it on the 30th if you want to help drag me around… :D

Amazing result Philip, congrats on the Champs qualifier. Glad to hear the ankle is ok. Look forward to seeing your training for London. Are you on Strava?

Very promising pace 16 miles at recovery effort Reg, bodes well. Sensible to keep a lid on it before IM though.

More epic running Macca, nice work.

Welcome back HA and Tom.

I had a good time at the Little Aston 5 yesterday. The goal was sub-30 so I lined up near the front and hoped for the best. It started to rain just before the race began, and it was a little breezier than I’d have liked given how perfect running conditions were earlier in the week, but that’s life! We set off and I was surprised to find myself out front, although there was a group just behind me. I kept checking my watch to ensure I wasn’t going off too fast, but it was a very controlled start for me and breathing felt super comfortable, even while heading up the small hill at the end of the first mile. I just concentrated on trying to stay just under 6:00/mi. First mile in 5:59 so right on track.

At about 1.5 miles two guys pulled ahead of me, and while I tried to go with them for a bit I quickly realised the one guy was going too fast for me to realistically keep up with so he drifted ahead, with the 2nd place guy also pulling away but at a far slower rate. I couldn’t hear anyone behind me so the next few miles were quite lonely as I watched 1st place zoom away, but kept 2nd place within 10-20m. I went through mile 2 in 5:56 and mile 3 in 5:53 so I was feeling good about a potential sub-30 time.

However by now the wind had whipped up a bit more which was making life harder, which combined with coming back up over the hill led to a 6:12 fourth mile. I didn’t panic as I felt like I was still running reasonably strong, and indeed over that hill I reeled in and passed the 2nd place guy so I now tried to dig in for my sub-30 time and potentially 2nd place.

Unfortunately the wind and the slight uphill in the final mile was sapping away those crucial few seconds per mile and I just couldn’t get my legs moving any faster. I rounded the final turn in to the finish straight and knew I had 2nd place, but when I glanced down at my watch as I crossed the finish line I was gutted to see 30:06 on the screen. To my surprise 2nd place earned me a bottle of wine and a salver, so I’ve now earned my first running silverware :D I’m under no illusion that’s entirely due to a relatively weak field, but nonetheless it was a fun bonus. 

Overall I’m pretty happy with the result, especially given my focus has been on endurance rather than speed. I’m confident that in better weather, or on a flatter course, I’d have had sub-30 in me. I wore the VaporFlys, not sure how much they helped although my legs certainly felt great afterwards/this morning. Although that also makes me think I didn't quite get everything out of myself that I could have yesterday.

Anyway, another big week of training this week, then it’ll be time for the Worcester 10K which should have a lot more people to work with, and hopefully some better weather. I also can't wait to cheer on my nephew in his first ever running race. I did some training with him on Friday. Will have him running 100 mile weeks soon enough... ;)

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    AlanB said:
    Reg Wand said:
    It was the thief that featured.
    The thief that stole Reg's heart. aka Joe.
    Reg - I pictured Joe turning up in your dream as a character reminiscent of Magnum PI, saving your beloved P3 from the nasty thief while you swooned.

Spoon - Nice work on the podium finish. So close to sub 30 too. Don't talk about weak fields, just bask in the glory. You should get the salver engraved and mounted on your wall. At our level any chance of finishing in a top position is dependent on who shows up on the day.

Got out for an 11 mile tempo run at lunch. Felt pretty good really and was a similar pace to late March/early April, so might be a bit more work to do.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Tom. Good to hear you're ticking along ok. I was worried that we'd not heard from you because of an injury. Pretty disappointing to only manage 120 miles over 2 weeks. Your fitness must've really suffered.