The Middle Ground

Comments

• DT - I know what you mean, and there is probably scope for less rest periods (by which I mean a week or two with no running) and perhaps to make the base periods a bit higher mileage. I just am very cautious about injury, as I seem to have been unable to have an injury free run at it for quite some time, so try to keep the hard blocks of training to a minimum.

The other thing to remember is that during the summer I may reduce my running mileage, but I probably do the equivalent of a sprint interval session every Saturday when I bowl a spell of 8-10 overs at cricket (equates probably to 10(6x15m fast off 20 second walk recoveries) with 3 or 4 minutes rest between overs).

• So, parkrun report.

Started at the front, more due to the fact no one really seemed keen to push past onto the front row, only to (along with one other guy) almost immediately be shouted at by the marshals that we weren't going straight on down the road that the start is on as I expected (and as the parkrun website suggests) but in fact took an immediate right up a small hill.

Soon settled into fifth place with the top 4 opening up a gap, never to be closed. It is a two lap job, and going through the halfway mark still in 5th and considering if I can hold onto it when a young guy comes up on my shoulder at the 2 mile mark. We exchange some words and conclude that we have a good 50 yard gap to 7th behind us and just want to keep going as we are. 

The course has a steep downhill of about 100m on grass before a 90 degree right hand turn - lethal on wet grass!! Foot slipped and I performed a very acceptable commando roll to pick myself up and keep running. Unfortunately the misfortune didn't stop there as I then picked up a massive stitch which slowed me and then actually reduced me to a walk for 10 seconds or so.

The combination of the two meant that 7th place had caught me up, and overtook me with about 1/4 mile to go. Didn't have it in me to push to get past him, and just focussed on holding position to the finish.

Crossed the line in 22:17, which on a hilly, grassy, wet course I was pretty pleased with considering I have done no faster stuff in weeks.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, well done on the parkrun. Seems you can disregard that poor training run. 

Wolverhampton Half today. Felt rubbish after 500 matter and really didn't think it would go well. Almost binned it off several times. just didn't feel I could hit top paces whilst at same time not working at half effort. I had a sense of 'your target half is in 2 weeks, you don't need to suffer today'. A fact backed up by hr data, a good 4-5 average bpm off what id expect. It was also rather blustery! 

Excuses out the way, I still managed a 40 second pb for 1.24.23 on watch. Couple of days recovery then back to it. 
  • Haha nice parkrun Andrew I always love a good slip and roll ;) Agreed thats a good result given conditions. Interesting plans for the next few months. I would agree that there seems to be too many base phases, but only you can know what the cricket does to you and you should peg it at a level that allows adaptation but doesnt cause injury.

Nice running DT19 - to feel rubbish and get a pb is amazing. I wasnt expecting that given the list of excuses - sub 1:24 for two weeks time or a little faster?

Surrey Road Relays for me, after a really big training week, I just wasnt feeling great. Still I went off like my legs might catch up with my head. Its *only* 2.9M (although shown as 3M on Po10 so who knows), but like the 5k has a huge hill in the first mile.

I was pretty surprised to see a 6:09 tick over for the first mile. Especially given that my flat parkrun was 6:10 pace. Anyway, the tiredness got the better of me in mile 2 and it was much slower, but after that I gave myself a talking to and upped the pace again so overall time was 18:15.

That is a course pb, but only by 8secs. I was hoping to run sub 18, but just didnt really have it to give.

Anyway this mornng I decided to punish myself further by running a long run of 14 miles. Felt fine throughout, but now have a sore chest and bit of cough... hopefully can snuff it out asap.

This Saturday sees our clubs opening run, so XC race of about 4miles. Will be interesting to see how the legs are! I really need to run through these races as training for proper XC in early October, so I am just going to have accept performances will be variable.

I see on Facebook that Dr. Dan has been earning his cake today ;)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Curly. I've never run the rd relays. 

I think I'll taper fully for the half in 2 weeks. That's 5/6 distances with a pb this year,cwith 10k missing. Also not run 10 miler yet. Last year I did 7/7. Today's result on the mcmillan race times puts this as my strongest time.

Yes, I also see Dr Dan, like a condemned man, is having his last bear tonight. 
  • Well done DT - you're definitely on a nice upwards curve at all distances at the moment!

Good relay running Curly.

Did a short and slow recovery style run this morning (3.5 miles).

Cricket now done and dusted again until mid-April so can focus 100% on the running for a good few months. 
  • Yep, that's the last cake and beer until the marathon!  ;):D

Andrew - good effort at the parkrun! Imagine if you don't get lost and fall over, you'll do pretty well! ;)

Good going at the relay Curly! Huge hill in the first mile but still managed 6:09! :o

DT - if you can bag a PB on a bad day, then all is well!

Week off work but very busy ... back to the the usual routines now. Not being at work last week meant no cycling, and I also missed my 2x5 mile run commute ... so I decided I'd better suffer on the three runs I did do. First was Wed which was 10.3 miles at 7:37/mi.... felt OK but definitely faster than MP! Next was parkrun ... 20:34. I don't seem to be able to hit 5KP at the moment, which is not surprising since I'm doing no speed-work. Sunday was the cake-earning long run. I'd laid off the carbs all week, apart from the odd beer, and did the long run before breakfast. Planned a minimum of 20 but hoped for 22 miles ... but once it was under way, my HR was really great, so decided to do 24 if at all possible. I did an out-and-back of 12 miles in 1:37:35, and then repeated it 1:36:45. Average pace was 8:06/mi and HR was a good 10 bpm lower than my VLM race (8:01/mi). Great confidence booster with 5 weeks to go!

8:18 123 bpm
    7:58 126
    8:05 126
    7:55 129
    8:15 127
    8:05 126
    8:12 128
    8:14 127
    7:56 129
    8:17 129
    8:11 129
    8:10 127

8:05 129
    7:56 132
    8:09 129
    7:57 134
    8:09 136
    8:00 137
    8:07 137
    8:11 137
    8:03 138
    8:23 139
    8:07 142
    7:38 145
  • Amazing run Dr. Dan!

A bit of creep on the last few miles, but I think you will take that on race day eh ;)

How does this compare to your race day pace target? Is that MP+ 30 secs or a bit less?

Just an easy 6 for me today then off to ballet shortly. Havent been for two weeks (ill then bank holiday). Going to be tough...

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Yep, drift after 15 miles is pretty much inevitable (ignore the last mile as I pushed hard to make sure I got in before 3:15). But at London in April I first hit 140 bpm at mile 7!! If things continue along these lines, I might attempt 7:45-7:50 on the day. Half marathon race on Sunday (Vale of York) should give me a good read-out. Flat but exposed, so really hoping for no wind (not looking good though).

Good luck with the ballet!

Cycle commuting yesterday and today (and all week!). Didn't bring my running kit to work for my usual Tuesday lunchtime MP session ... will do it tomorrow instead and then just a sharpener on Friday in preparation for Sunday's HM.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

that's a good solid run, Dr Dan. Bodes well for Chester for sure.

I am planning 5/6 at mp lunchtime. Whilst I am sure I am not fully recovered, my legs (and body) feel pretty good and largely ache free today so will tick the mp run off, even if the pace is a bit off target.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    5 miles at mp yesterday went surprisingly well. Ave pace was 6.47 with HR at 159. Not done anything that heavy so soon after a half before but felt largely recovered. Either means I didn't race full tilt, or I am just in that stage where I am absorbing things quickly. Rest day today before a 12 miler tomorrow.
  • Dan - 24 mile run and able to pick it up at the end? Sounds good to me!

DT - you also seem to be on fire at the moment. Hope it continues to your target races!

No running for me since Sunday. Felt very feverish Monday and still a little bit so yesterday. Feeling better today, so will go for a run this evening and see how it goes.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Some amazing running going on there, 6.47 is a solid sub 3 mara @DT19

I think I'm back running now, having taken nearly 2 1/2 weeks off, with loads of calf raises and other strengthening, I went back out today for a 30 min easy. Came in at 5min/km without feeling my calves twinge at all. Hope with maybe a week of easy running and more rehab I can get back to training properly.
  • Another solid session DT.

Hope the run went well Andrew.

Welcome back JGav ... slowly slowly on the come-back!

10.6 miles at 7:49/mi yesterday ... left it until after work and then cycled home. The run was fine (HR a bit high but have a throat/ear infection, so not worried) but the cycle home afterwards was pretty grim as I was totally on empty. Anyway, cycle back this morning was fine, so all good.

Looks like Sunday's HM will be windy. :'(
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hope youre feeling better, Andrew.

Take it slowly, JGAV. Yep I think to run sub 3 you have to run a few seconds faster than the text book 6.52 to take account of the extra distance you will inevitably cover.

All going well Dr Dan. Fingers crossed that this is your sub 3.30 year.

Rest day for me yesterday. Planning a midweek long run of around 12 later.

• Thanks both - yes, got out for 4 miles last night. Felt ok, but the pace came in at around 9.10m/m which is slightly slower than I would expect for that effort level and distance, but not too bad.

JGav - as above, take it easy to start with (frustrating as that is!).

Weather looks terrible for tomorrow, so will have to squeeze a few miles in this evening.

I'm starting my 10k plan in earnest next week and immediately have a 5 mile race a week on Sunday, which I booked weeks ago. At least it will give me a good idea of where I am at prior to the plan really kicking in, and will serve as a good session!

• Yep, weather today is indeed terrible! Just commuted through it on my bike and was like a drowned rat on arrival. Planned to go straight off for a sharpener run (2 miles wu/cd and a few 400m intervals) but couldn't face it. WIll see what things are like just before home time.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    it's a bit damp here at the minute but nothing too nasty forecast. 12 miles nice and easy last night. Planning some level of tempo run over lunchtime.
  • 5 miles achieved last night. 9m/m pace, so slightly quicker than Wednesday and felt much easier too.

My ability to get some miles in this evening is weather dependant still.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

I am feeling a bit fatigued today and heavy legged. I think sunday, followed by an mp session and 12 last night has caught up with me. Instead of doing 4-5 miles at mid tempo pace (around 6.25) I decided to do 4 x 1 mile off 2 minutes at or around threshold (6.19 following sundays half). Came out 6.19, 6.14, 6.15, 6.17. Would be happier if I had done it as one continuous session, but in the circumstances it'll do.

Why weather dependant, Andrew? It poured down for the middle 2 miles of my session, which I found quite pleasant.

• Well done Andrew and DT ... better than me, as I bailed out of my run and just cycled home. Have had a (very rare for me) viral infection all week (ears/mouth/throat) and am feeling worn out. So only the MP session so far this week but I did at least bike commute every day. Hope to be better tomorrow for the HM!!!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan.. sorry to hear you're under the weather a bit.  At least the weather forecast here has improved; looks like we will probably be done & dusted by the time the windier & wetter stuff arrives. :)
  • Cheers Ward! Feeling ok this evening and hoping to be fine in the morning. Good news on the weather.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Decent 22 today at 7.51 average. Felt tired last two miles. So much nicer running in cloudy and cool conditions. 

that's 5 of 6 long runs done which is good. 

Target half next Sunday. It's a tricky one at that peak training stage to balance tapering and getting some decent miles in. 
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Well done DT. I had tapering for yesterday's half forced upon me my feeling rough but it worked out OK.

90:24 in the end, despite a bit of wind and two sore feet, for my fastest HM since 2011. Went off too hard (was on 88:38 at 8 miles) so paid for that in the end... I came through 10 miles faster than April's 10 mile race! Legs felt great for most of it and I have no DOMS at all. My main issue was the balls of my feet ... the hard skin from all the marathon training acted liked stones once I was at HMP, driving themselves into my feet, resulting in these nasty blood blisters ... agony during the latter stages of the run and even worse driving home afterwards (clutch foot especially).

But even with the wind and the feet, I probably would have made sub-90 had I paced it just a little better!

[EDIT: the 2nd placed FSEN, who I ended up running with for miles 2-9, came in 1:11 ahead of me based on gun time. She started behind me and ran at 1:28:45 pace. My mistake was to run with her, rather than at my planned 1:29:45 pace!].

• Well done Dan! The blood blisters sound (and look) painful though. Hopefully they won't interrupt your training schedule for too long.

DT - great long run. Will the last one be a 22 as well? You'll be glad to know I didn't let the rain yesterday afternoon stop me getting out for a short twirl to work off the effects of Saturday night's pints and curry!

10k plan starts properly this week ...... but not until Wednesday, due to my usual inability to fit any running in on Monday/Tuesday most weeks.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Dr Dan, shame about the sub 90 aspect, however, to post a best time in 6 years you are clearly in good shape. I had a very similar blister as the one on your left foot, after London and I could barely walk on it for over a week. Hopefully you wont have the same.

I managed to miss the rain yesterday. No, I am planning a 20 as it is only 18 days out from race day.

Legs feel ok today so planning a 5 mile recovery run. Hoping to front load my training this week so I can taper of sorts for sundays half.

• Morning! A few well dones, I notice! Hope the feet recover quickly, Dan!

AD: there is no such thing as the wrong weather for running...just the wrong clothing! 

So, Achilles update: gradual improvement and now up to 90% of bodyweight on the anti-gravitational treadmill for around 10 minutes with little reaction. Another session at tea-time where I will go to 92% if possible. If I can do 95% for 15 minutes I may well be allowed a gentle run outside.
    However the Achilles is definitely not right as I am having quite a bit of reaction to the "gym" work: am doing eccentric raises/drops with 5kg in a back pack (a couple of hundred a day except for treadmill days) plus three times a week I am doing single leg presses with quite a heavy weight until I can do no more!  

I think this is the machine I am running on...

http://www.alterg.com/products/anti-gravity-treadmills/m320-f320/health-wellness

The one I am using cost around £60k, so I'll have a couple installed! Another link: 

https://www.runtothefinish.com/alterg-anti-gravity-treadmill/

Whilst it is a good substitute for running, I find it difficult to equate the times that I am running with real life times. Finding 7 minute miles to be easy, but wouldn't in real life. And it is not very exciting, and nor is the gym work! Am thinking, though, of using the a-g treadmill for my speed work when I am fully recovered: at least it will be dry and warm! Definitely cricket weather here today, i.e it is pouring. Again. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Good progress Alehouse. Great to get access to a state-of-the-art treddie.

My feet are a mess, so no running yet ... in fact walking is still a challenge. I am suffering with this http://www.aapsm.org/stone-bruise.html, which is what caused the blood-blisters on Sunday. The calluses from all the marathon training have been based into my bones and causes a lot of bruising/pain. I think the stress of HM pace for 90 min was too much ... parkruns and MP sessions have not caused me this grief.

I usually modify the inner soles of my trainers to prevent this but didn't do this with the last two pairs ... thought I'd got rid of it but clearly not! I have hacked the insoles in preparation for the restart ... meanwhile I await some healing!

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @Dr.Dan 90.xx is an amazing time on a windy run especially with those on your feet.

Keep going with the rehab @alehouse glad I don't have to do as much as you to get going again.

I went out and did my first run in anger. 30 minute tempo at 4.30m/km, went through 5k in 22.18 which I am pretty pleased with. Legs felt great, I can feel the fatigue now but nothing I'm worried about. Back to the bike tomorrow and run again Thursday.

Need to get a long run in soon with my HM in 4 week but it's a big birthday for me on Friday (ends in a 0) so lots of celebrations may make running a non-starter).