Snowdonia Marathon 2017

Comments

• BritNick said:
    InsideForward, you weren't the one at the finish icing your ankle and with plastic chair legs at danger of collapsing sideways on the slope, were you? It's unlikely given the time difference, but if so, nice to meet you and prevent further injury. :smile:

Haha no wasn't me. Ankle just about right again. Training again this week fingers crossed.

• ChrissiChrissi ✭✭✭

Hi everyone long time no speaky

Dipped my toe into the world of Ultra at the weekend and am scarred for life now - Run to the Castle made the end of Barmouth Prom 30ish miles though god knows how.

Did manage finally to get around TMW this year but again not sure how

Definatley won't be at SNOD this year need to get my health issues sorted and just want to enjoy running with my new pal Alfie a just turned 1 Ridgeback for a while -  he's turning into a pretty good trail dog

Glad to see everything functioning as normal on here keep it up xxx

• Hi Chrissi, really pleased to hear that you are back running again and have ticked off a couple of races that I seem to remember you entered a couple of years back and had to drop out. TMW is a real slog so well done on getting through that. Would love to do the Run to the Castle but haven't plucked up the courage yet - know I would get lost! Hope to see you on the list for SNOD 2018.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The Single

• brer rabbit
    • Brickhill Runner 
    • Chimney
    • CSMLFC   1st SNOD   Sub-3:30
    • dave turner 5   Sub-4
    • Goldeagle
    • Hobie 1495    Sub-4
    • InsideForward
    • jasond2
    • Jimbob987
    • John Bach
    • massive
    • Mc Hilly 
    • Mr panad
    • panad
    • Pete Thomas 6
    • Poopster
    • Ralph davies   3:40
    • Reydon Rover
    • Run Jono
    • Sir John a Lot
    • Steve Waygood
    • SwimsL1keaWalrus   1st SNOD
    • Tattooedrunner45
    • The Lazy Greyhound
    • TrailRunner22   Sub-3

The Double

• T Rex
    • Ultra Disco Stu

:(   
    • becs
    • Chrissi 
    • BritNick
    • Mokshaeight  
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    jasond2 and CSMLFC - well done on getting places and welcome to the list!

CSMLFC - if your 'normal' marathon time is about 3:20, sub 3:30 will be well achievable.  You'll find there is a bit of a climb in the latter stages and then a quad-busting descent which can be slippery if inclement.  There's also a climb at the beginning, thinking about it, as well as one in the middle.

Chrissi - Hi!  Great to hear about your first ultra.  Sorry you couldn't quite make it to the finish over there on the coast path.  Having such a small field makes it extra tough.  Hope you're not scarred too badly!

The LG - plenty of scope for getting lost!  When I did it in 2015 I got lost twice, both times in caravan parks!
  • Only went for a lunchtime run yesterday but ended up in cardiology ward at manchester royal infirmary with Atrial Fibrillation.
    Heart rate came down on it's own accord after about 1 hour and some iv. fluids. I felt terrible had pins and needles down both arms and legs and very dizzy.
    Never happened to me before in 12 years of running. Bloods came back with very low phoshates and borderline Magnesium so they think it might be a one of event related to electrolyte imbalance/ hydration issues.
    I am due to go for an echo cardiogram and heart rhythm tests in the near future. Doc was great, a big cyclist himself, and told me to carry on as normal but keep a close eye on hydration and maybe drop the tempo runs for a while. Anyone on here had any experience of this- T Rex?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi Ralph.  I've not had experience of what you've got.  The Mg looks to be the issue.   Perhaps consider taking on more electrolyte drinks or using them on shorter runs than you did before?  Get some Mg rich foods down you such as dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, beans, whole grains, avocados, yogurt, bananas, dried fruit, dark chocolate, etc.

Not sure about the phosphates.  Found in high protein foods.
  • Hi T Rex, thanks for the advice. I eat all the foods that you have listed, i live off tinned sardines!
    Hoping it is just a one-off hydration issue, i ran 45 miles in the past 4 days and it was quite warm the past couple.
    I will take on board your advice. I am partial to a glass or 2 or 3 of red wine and am wondering whether that might be impacting a bit on absorption of nutrients?  Also, i am the lightest i have been for a long time tipping the scales at a mighty 11st for 6ft 1 height.

• Hey Chrissi, welcome back and well done on the Race to the Castle-I loved that one! Great to hear JD back on the starting blocks again. Have we agreed a team outing yet in hip and groovy Llanberis? Sounds a bit scary Ralph, hope you get it sorted. Red wine is the nectar of marathon runners, surely it cant be that :)                       I'm off next week to do Firestarter in Anglesey on Friday; this is an inaugural ultra event. I would have loved to do the entire Ring of Fire but work prevents it. 
  • Thanks brer, i am convinced it is an electolyte issue. Been keeping on top of my hydration and taking plenty of electrolyte tabs. Went for a 17 miler yesterday with no problems and no heart rate blips, rock steady, and recovery heart rate was completely normal, ran into work as well this morning and no probs.
    Best of luck with Firestarter on Anglesey, i will check it out.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hey, that's good news, Ralph.  Sounds like that was a one-off?  But the need to focus better on hydration /electrolytes.

Yes, we need to arrange a post-race social.  We usually head for The Heights, but we don't have to.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    My next race is 9 Sep, 10 Peaks Brecon Beacons - but only the short course (37 miles).  After four years of doing the long course I've decided I want an easier life.  No, actually the reason is that most of the nav errors I have made have been at the beginning or end of the route (which is shared by both long and short course) in the darkness, so I want to nail the route when both the beginning and end are in daylight.

There will be real time tracking this year, for your entertainment.  Extra pressure not to make nav errors or you lot will be laughing!
  • T Rex said:
    jasond2 and CSMLFC - well done on getting places and welcome to the list!

CSMLFC - if your 'normal' marathon time is about 3:20, sub 3:30 will be well achievable.  You'll find there is a bit of a climb in the latter stages and then a quad-busting descent which can be slippery if inclement.  There's also a climb at the beginning, thinking about it, as well as one in the middle.

Chrissi - Hi!  Great to hear about your first ultra.  Sorry you couldn't quite make it to the finish over there on the coast path.  Having such a small field makes it extra tough.  Hope you're not scarred too badly!

The LG - plenty of scope for getting lost!  When I did it in 2015 I got lost twice, both times in caravan parks!
    Many thanks T Rex! Great info ta. Have done sub 3.20 a few times now and have also had a 3.09 this year at Manchester. Really really looking forward to it. Won't be clock watching by any stretch of the imagination but nice to have a rough target to aim for!
  • Absolutely loads of places available on the Facebook Snowdonia group by the way if anyone still needs a number
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    CSMLFC - 3:09 in Manchester?  That's a great time.  I estimate 3:20-3:25 for SNOD.

Just entering a couple more events for next month.  My October diary is now looking distinctly brer rabbit-like.  In fact I hardly dare put it in print ...

... so I won't, for now at any rate.
  • panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Trex - are you still doing the brutal triathlon with your sons on the 16th?
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi panad.  We had a family conference and decided against it.  Youngest son not quite there in terms of open water swimming fitness.  Pencilled in for 2018 though!
  • Hi guys,

Loads of places appearing on facebook. There's a group called "race event numbers for sale / swap / free / wanted". Places seem to appearing daily on there. 

Full on with races at the moment. Did the 10k Trail Wales in CYB the weekend. It absolutely **** it down all day! Was a great race though. Training weeks are running out and the day will soon be here! Cannot wait. 
    Good luck in the Brecons T Rex. Wanted to do something up there but i'm signed up for Lake V half this weekend. I'm naff with navigation too which never helps. 
  •  Hi CSMLFC and to Jason2.
     Best of luck with the Brecon beacons Ultra this weekend Trex.
     I was following the UTMB last weekend, that was very interesting! Do you ever fancy doing that one Trex?

Well done TR22 with all your racing and i'm sure you will be super fit for Snowdon and ready for a sub-3.
    As for me i managed to cram in 200 miles for august, only just, and had to do 71 miles in 4 days. So i'm over 1700 for the year now.
    Got my echo cardiogram later this afternoon so i will update you on that tomorrow!!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Off to Brecon Beacons in a few hours.  For those who want to follow the action there is a link to live tracking on the www.10peaks.com  home page.  I'm #104 on the short course (58K).  Not much scope for navigation blunders compared to the long course - in fact I'm hoping not to make any, but you never know!  I might provide entertainment yet. 

I certainly would have done in previous years if we had had trackers then!!
  • All the best TR. Will keep an eye on your progress. Have fun!
  • echo cardiogram came back completely normal :). Will follow your progress T Rex, good luck.
  • T Rex- are you back yet? Hope it went well!
    RD- great news about the cardiogram!
    I have a cutback week this week which was cutback even more midweek due to a stomach bug which caused me to bin my midweek medium long run at the 1m mark and get back sharpish to the start - and the toilets in the leisure centre! Missed Thursday and Friday, but managed to get 16 done yesterday in the wind and the rain: AGTFSNOD!

In other news, I just booked my foom for next year's event. Just as well I did - only 2 left!
  • Back on it with an improvised training plan that only has long runs every other day. Kind of enjoying it. Feels great running up hills and terrible running down hills though improving on those. My speed is limited but endurance seems great. Who knows what will happen on 30 Oct. I don't. Interesting times.

No more fell races this year, or maybe just the odd cheeky one if my ankle becomes more stable.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    I'm back after a fab day out in the mountains on Saturday.  I was pleased to be able to put on a strong finish overtaking six runners in the last two or three miles and finishing 26th.  11h53 seems slow for a 36-miler but the terrain is very tough and despite a dryish late summer the last few days of rain meant all the paths and open land were waterlogged again, slowing progress.  A note for next year - must get shoes with lugs for this event.  All the runners in trail shoes, including me, were slipping and sliding all over the place.

There were some heavy downpours and low cloud between about 0800 and 1200 to endure but the afternoon turned out very benign.  A very strong wind throughout which made some of the paths that had steep drops to one side a bit edgy.

With this tracking company you can see all the competitors' routes.  It's really instructive seeing what routes some of the leaders took, especially the first and second positions in the long course.  They went down mountainsides I wouldn't have dreamed of using - I'll have to do some recces to see if their route choices are suitable for mortals.

Sadly my navigation did not provide any entertainment for you - it was spot on throughout.

A great event and venue at Tal-y-bont with two nights' camping and post-race meal included in the entry fee.  I can't recommend it enough, as long as you're fine with self-nav and don't mind a bit of mountain weather.
  • Well done, T Rex. Sounds like a grand day out! I love my Mudclaws up in the Beacons ;)
  • Cheers Ralph... Good news on the Cardiogram!

Well done on not getting lost T Rex... I'd be all over the place.  :D:D.

Around 3 weeks till I start tapering. Can't believe how quickly it's coming round!! Loads of places appearing on Facebook for anyone that's looking. Got a local 10k this weekend followed by the Midland road relays next week. Then Cardiff half!!! 
  • Been away from the internet for a few days so just catching up. Well done TR another tough mountain ultra ticked off. Prep for this year's SNOD double are going well fella.

Great news RD with the cardiogram. Glad it was just a blip.

Hope the stomach bug has cleared JD. Booking your room for next year! Now that is forward planning!

Just got back from the Bridge to Bridge via Port ultra along the River Severn and canals. 34 slogged out miles but a good new event and managed 8th (although there were only 35 in the solo race so context required!)

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi all, I'm going back this year to do my second. Did a long hilly run yesterday 2.5 hours it was horrible!! That's my horrid LSR out of the way, I always have one....
    I'm only doing single, what on earth never heard of the double.  Hard core!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Welcome Wabo.  Only good LSRs to come, then??

The Single

• brer rabbit
    • Brickhill Runner 
    • Chimney
    • CSMLFC   1st SNOD   3:25
    • dave turner 5   Sub-4
    • Goldeagle
    • Hobie 1495    Sub-4
    • InsideForward
    • jasond2
    • Jimbob987
    • John Bach