My Last Run

Comments

• I don't often push too hard on runs, as I prefer a bit of a long plod over all this speed work stuff. That's why I always went in goal, I suppose.
    Last night I decided to give it a few good 'spurts' and generally run a bit faster overall. I was pleased with the results. Instead of the 4 miles at 9:30 mi which was on the plan I ended up doing 5.37 miles at 9:15 mi in 49:44. Recovery time seemed quicker than usual too. Not fast by some standards, but pretty quick for me :) Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Good to have the range, Will.  A coach said, 'If you want to race faster, train faster.'  Needless to say, I declined to follow this advice.  ;)
  • Good stuff, everyone. Not such great news for me, unfortunately. I went to the docs on Tuesday and got some antibiotics, which have helped heal the bite (it has stopped itching, anyway) but my hip has been rather cross and I've stuck to yoga for the past few days. I decided to try a run this morning. Energy was pretty good but I could feel the hip all the way. It's soft tissue, definitely - no sharp pain or anything - so I could run with it, but I also felt a bit woozy during the last mile. I was coming down a little hill and felt I might almost lose my balance if I didn't slow myself. This happened on Monday too. This is either down to the infection or the antibiotics, or the fact I didn't sleep much last night. I had a nap when I got home but still feel underpar.
    I have a massage this afternoon and will make a decision about Maidenhead tomorrow, but I think a DNS is likely. I could get around, certainly, but I don't want to stuff myself up for my target races. I'll see what my masseur thinks. He's pretty smart about these things.
  • Sorry to hear that Cal. A DNS sounds like it might be a good idea under the circumstances.  If you do run good luck and that you get round without too much discomfort.

Have lots of fun tomorrow Nessie.  I thought you aren't supposed to pee in wetsuits? ;)

Careful JT, getting hit by a car hurts, since it happened to me a few years ago (not my fault and not a running incident) I react badly to cars getting close. 

Swittle, Will - I am in the train faster race faster camp I'm afraid.  Whilst I'm chasing Pbs and preparing for important races I'll keep it up but in a structured sort of way. Note to self: do an lSr on Sunday, not an lFr. 

Today's 10km run was another tempo outing - felt very good as it was cool for the first time in several outings which suits me much better. 
    Agricultural highlight - some Galloway cows - some with cummerbunds and others who looked like they had dipped just their noses in jet black ink. Also ran past a group of people distributing dog treats and orange flags all over a field whilst their dogs were patiently waiting.  Not a bark to be heard. 
  • Cal, you know it's not worth it. I know it's disappointing if it's a race you've signed up for, but like you say, it was not the target one. It's not worth knackering yourself.  
    Will, I am crap at pushing myself too.  When I've really put my head down and followed a programme, it's reaped rewards, but it's nowhere near as fun as going for a run just for the sake of letting off steam and enjoying it. As swittle well knows :-)
    Hazel- cows with cummerbunds sound cool.  
    Me- yesterday was a mini 4 miles in my lunch break at work. Today a little swim before tomorrow's silliness. I am very excited  B)
  • My masseur told me it was a bad idea to run on antibiotics so I'm going to DNS, sadly. He did some work on the hip and found it horrendously tight. Feels a little better now but between that and feeling now right, I'm going to rest up and stick with yoga for a few days.
  • Really bad luck there, Cal. Try and enjoy the rest?? Yoga's not a bad fallback. I've been getting back into it and love it.

My favourite cattle are the Belted Galloway, Hazelnut. We had some to graze on the nature reserve when I used to work at Holkham. Lovely cows :)

Good luck with the swimarun, Nessie! Should be spectacular. Glad to hear you and Swittle are members of the 'slow-flow' club too. I don't have the discipline to push hard up hills like Hazelnut. It's bad enough here on the plains of Norfolk. Having said that...

Pushed myself again today and, one week back in training after holiday, I nudged my Parkrun PB with a 25:24. Got stuck in the bottleneck start too, so reckon I can push further next time. I may start at the front with the 16 minuters and look tough.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Well done, Will. I was timekeeper today - it was my 25th volunteer so I now qualify for a purple shirt! (I daresay I won't be able to get one for a few months, going by how long other people's shirts arrive, but hey.) Did two yoga sessions too - Yin at lunchtime and Vinyasa just now. Vinyasa is tough but somehow I always feel better after it.
  • Cal, let the meds do their work - and you'll be sooner mended.  The yoga sounds ace. 

Hazel, structured training and me have rarely gone together and, while I did undeniably get *faster*, I put that down to racing 50-60 times a year  :o  I admire your regime and the results it brings - if I'd my time again....

Nessie: I'm sure you'll not be tempted into too much that is silly!  Good luck!

Great to see your improved parkrun time, Will - more to come!

I also subscribe to fetcheveryone.com and, checking my running log a couple of days ago, in the 9 years I've been on the site, I've recorded 17000 miles.   Streak assisted, of course!
  • An enjoyable 10 miler tonight in 1h 41, spidering my way around a spaghetti route of Norwich roads. Certainly kept my mind off the impending doom of tomorrow - back to school :(
    Should sleep alright tonight though :) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Swittle-  :o amazing mileage!
    Will- great PB
    Hazel- nice cow spot
    Cal- how's the bite?
    I've got 8 duck flea bites on my face and neck after Saturday's brilliant swimrun.  That is the only downside-- they are itchier than mozzie bites and the itching persists for 1-2 weeks.  Second time I've had them.
    The swimrun was amazing! We weren't last! And we finished in well under 3 hours. Around 2 hours 40 I think including the transitions. We did about 4.5 km swimming- which I was well pleased with as previously the most I've done is 2.5.  And around 8 km run. Broken up into small bits. Weirdly the run was the hardest- the 3rd run section which was only 4km but it went around a boiling hot motocross circuit (all the running was XC).  I tell you, that in a wetsuit and swimming cap is bloody hard work.  But doing the event in the pair was the best as we laughed all the way round and kept positive. It was so refreshing not having to fiddle around with shoes / wetsuits etc. It did make you feel a bit amphibious.  We are now looking at events for next year. The big UK one is in Wales, but it's expensive.
    I'm still pretty tired after Saturday's efforts and had an easy bike ride yesterday morning where my legs felt like lead. Will try a lunchtime run today. No students yet so work is fairly easy.

• Nice PB will.  Hope your start back at school is going ok (and for swittle and nessie too of course, cal if I remember right you don't teach at the moment?)

swittle I hope you will run many thousands of miles more - that is really impressive. 

Great swimrunning nessie. It would take me forever to swim 4.5km - can only do granny style breaststroke. 

24km for me yesterday in 2:19 on a new route up the river Aare.  The stretch though the city was a bit overcrowded but I was expecting that on Sunday afternoon and just had to be patient to weave around other people on the sometimes narrow paths - I didn't fancy doing an involuntary swimrun :p
    Saw one of the brown bears in the bear park next to the river.  Naturespot: a few big blue-green dragonflies.
    Quite a few other runners out but hardly anyone replied to a greeting - miserable bunch.  

Tired by around 18km, last week's hard work catching up on me I guess.  Tried a gel for the first time - was a bit apprehensive but no digestive issues.  Found it a bit gloopy but the taste was ok - fairly neutral with a distinct hint of salt.  Also devoured a fruit puree which I like - they are designed for 4+ months - I passed that a long time ago! 

Lunchtime today:  5km recovery jog in 31 mins on tired legs. 
  • I love dragonflies Hazel. I've never got over the childhood excitement of seeing them skim over the surface of the water.
    Why are you trying gels? Have I missed something- a marathon?
    Me- it was an easy plodding 4 miles yesterday through Walthamstow marshes, and this morning at 5.30 am it was back to the speed sessions. A surprisingly enjoyable 5 x 1k and my pace was OK all things considered
  • Hi guys newbie here. Well more of a reintroduced runner really. Hope you're all enjoying things at the moment. That's what it's all about I guess.

i'll not bore you all too much with my story but as I say I'm just getting back into it after a few years off. I live in Buxton in Derbyshire these days but originally from Doncaster. There's a 10k in Donny in November I'm aiming for so just now im getting out about 3 times a week trying to slowly increase my mileage.

Hill sprints tonight. Possibly one of the main reasons I've been putting off getting back into running again for so long.

id forgotten how truly savage they are! The hill I use is about 40 metres in length but has around a 20% gradient for the majority of it!!
  • Welcome, readyeddiego.  Pleased you're pulling on trainers again.  Good luck with your training - no shortage of decent hills around Buxton!
  • Thanks Swittle. Yeah as you say no shortage of hills round here. Which actually presents its own challenges because if you ever want to get some steady, low intensity, flat, enjoyable work in its near on impossible  :D 
  • Hey everyone! Welcome Eddie.
    The bite has healed nicely thanks, Nessie (though it still looks a bit icky) and I've been off antibiotics for a day now. However I'm not back to full strength. I did an experimental run today - walked to the common (stopping en route to pet a lovely friendly Burmese kitty), did a few drills, then jogged two miles and walked back. I wasn't sure how long the run would be but I felt quite tired and had no real inclination to continue after the 2 mile point, even though the weather was lovely. I just felt tired and still a bit off-kilter. At least my hip didn't complain, though.
    I've just a week and a half to get back to normal - hope I make it.
  • That's encouraging news, Cal, hope recovery continues.
    Hello and welcome readyeddiego!
    Dragonflies still zipping about in Norfolk, Swallows too. It's late for both - another sign of climate change.
    I've been upping the mileage a bit and am really enjoying my longer runs. The pace is creeping up too. My wife has uttered the word 'obsessed' - how dare she! :)
    Last night I  plodded out 7.5 miles at 9:46 mi, which kept my mind off the return of the kids today! My new class, however, seem very nice.
    Happy running ;) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    In bitey news I've treated next-doors' cat for fleas. I think that's how I got some really stubborn bites - not on a par with Cal though. The cat sort of moved in and we feed it as the neighbour buggers off for days on end and doesn't bother with it. Crap cat, but someone's got to look after it.
    Anyway, 20min treadmill run yesterday at the end of a gym session. 8.5miles today. More comfortable in the cooler weather. Put in a 6:50 mile near the end which is the quickest for a while.
  • Nessie I'm doing the marathon in Frankfurt on 29.10.  The gel testing was partly curiosity as I picked up a couple at an expo.    

Hello readyeddiego.  Sounds like you have a good plan.  20 % hills are nasty.  

Keep it gentle until you feel better Cal.  

The swallows have been very busy the last few days here Will but strangely I don't think I saw one today.  

Nice of you to look after the cat JT.   Swift mile.

Swallow as also the operative word at the outset of my run today - 50 metres from the doorstop I didn't apply the tooth filter quickly enough and spent the rest of my run digesting some sort of fly.   Extra protein won't hurt I guess.

14.2km in 1:11:08 for me today.  The tempo runs are increasing in length and decreasing in pace.  Quite enjoyed it after setting out in quite an agitated state from work.
  • That is a swift mile, JT. Can almost see your dust trail!

I hope preps for Frankfurt continue to go well, Hazelnut. I've heard it's always a great Marathon. How are you going to taper? I have a trail half on 24th Sept and am pondering my taper for that. For my first half I think I overdid the taper a bit. I basically didn't run for the final week before the event and think I actually lost some of my puff. Any tips?

I had a tempo-ish 4 miles in a nice bit of rain last evening. Legs and joints feeling a bit tired with my increase in mileage, so taking 2 rest days before a practice 13.1 on Sunday. 

I run, therefore I am.
  • Carry on taking it easy and listening to your body Cal, and fingers crossed you'll be OK for the next one. Welcome Eddie, I know that part of the country a little as I have family there, and it's beautiful, bracing terrain!
    Hello Swit
    Me- I did a very steady 3 miles with a friend at work on Wednesday, who's returning to running after a long lay-off. Last night was the Open Water swimathon 2.5 km at Stoke Newington reservoir, so no running. It was a horrid event, my worse swim ever.  This morning- 7 miles in very rainy Epping Forest with a lovely friend. Great muddy stuff
  • Nessie, I now know ducks get fleas - hope you're recovering well.  Great swim-running  :)
    Thanks to you & Hazel re miles run - I was a little shocked myself.
    Hazel, tidy offroading, with contrasting fauna.  
    Cal, am glad you seem to be on the way to full recovery - it's been nasty, hasn't it?
    Out at 7am, catching the end of a pretty heavy period of rain.  Warm, though.  Only a couple of dog walking regulars out, including Betsy, the petite sheepdog.
    Listening to a zydeco version of 'Hey, Joe'.  Every tenth Sixties band seems to have recorded it!
  • Hey guys and gals. I did an easy 5 on Thursday, rest day yesterday (it was raining) and 6 miles today (5 progression plus a cool-down). My head's still not right - balance feels a little off when I run downhill, so I think there may be something wrong with my ear(s) although there's no pain. Hopefully it'll clear up. I had a period like this 10 years ago when I got very run down one year and caught a lot of viruses, so I guess my immune system is a bit down in the dumps. I felt quite good running, though, that aside.
  • Hi, I've been away for ages! I'm still consistently running 3/4 times a week, however, I had tonsillitis in May and ever since then I have been at least 1.5 minute a mile slower. . I just cannot get my speed back. I've gone back to hear rate training as a last resort as that really helped me before. My sleep is good, food ok, but that speed has just gone in only a matter of months!

Anyone had anything similar or have any thoughts?
  • As an example I set my parkrun pb in April of 22:57, I had tonsillitis on early May and since then I haven't ran under 23:40, in fact I've got slower. Today I was 24:47... just feel like I've got nothing in me!
  • Andrea, I feel your pain. I'm not as fast as you but I was consistently running 26s last year (went under it twice) but this year I've been in the 27s. It's annoying as I ran back to back HM PBs in February and then a marathon PB in April, but then I got high hamstring tendinopathy, took a little downtime, ran another marathon (slower than the first as I had to walk a few times) and my times have been crap since. My August 10K was 2 minutes slower than my January one and the 10 miler I did in July was 5 minutes slower than last year's. Warm and humid weather hasn't helped, but I'm still annoyed.
    I was hoping to bounce back this Autumn but I've had all manner of problems - a few days off for posterior tib, another few days off for a tight, angry hip, then the infected bite and antibiotics (and a cancelled HM last weekend) - argh. I was expecting I'd be able to knock another 2 minutes off my HM time after February, but now I'll be lucky to scrape in under 2 hours. Sucks.
    I think we just have to chalk it up to health problems and weather at this point. I'm just more concerned as I'm 50 now and the window for improvement is shrinking. Ah well, I guess we do what we can.
  • Swittle- the Hendrix version is the best in my opinion. Unoriginal point of view, I know. The rain is very unpredictable ATM isn't it!?
    Andrea, good to "see" you. I can only think that you've got post-viral exhaustion and that you'll naturally build up fitness again. I assume that you're still varying your sessions?
    Cal, you've made some amazing gains this year, and it may be that you need to back off the racing after autumn's efforts? Don't be too hard on yourself.
    Me- a fartlek session this morning as we're back into the routine of ballet taxiing for the youngest.  There's a certain reassurance in a return to the routines of work / school / clubs etc, especially as things continue to be incredibly busy with the parents. But they too are starting to slot into that routine
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Hello Andrea. You and Cal not having a great running summer. If you're out from running, or hampered by illness or injury for a time, pace and rhythm does fall away. I've found when starting back from injury it's like starting from scratch. I have all the grace and flow of a bag of spanners being kicked down the road. It takes time and miles to unlock things again. Unfortunately this summer hasn't been conducive to that with so much moisture in the air. Even on relatively mild days the body can't lose its heat when running. Things will get better.
    7.1miles this evening as it was getting dark. Saw a bat. Pissing it down or sunshine today, sometimes simultaneously. Yesterday 11.5miles road/off-road mix in about 1hr26. Coming back kids were out of school which meant a fair amount of bike and child dodging. Getting energy drops again at 3miles. It's like a wave of fatigue that goes through my body. Soon passes but not pleasant. Never really understood what it's all about. Treadmill run the day before that - 12min incline into 8mins pace. Felt my right calf twinge just as finishing. A tiny strain but thankfully hasn't been an issue. Have dewormed neighbours' cat.
  • Good miles, Swittle and JT.

Nice to get out in the autumnal mist this morn, although I nearly twisted my ankle on a slippery conker! I did a practice 13.1 on road and trail and was chuffed with a time of 2h 7m. Feeling a wee bit fitter and faster in recent weeks. The advantage of having only taken up running 2 years ago is that pretty much most things are PBs for me as I build up experience and miles. Round the lake I heard my first migrant Chiffchaff of the autumn and passed some very well behaved dog owners.
    On Saturday I volunteered for the first time at Parkrun. As I suffer from pretty bad social anxiety this was quite a big deal. It turned out to be very uplifting and I met some really nice people. Loved cheering the 500+ runners through the funnel :) 
    I run, therefore I am.