P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• I'll take any excuse to repeat it, we'll probably get on to his battery of estate agent boards at some point too
  • Tom - Impressive early morning running!
    Spoons - Interesting to see the improvements you are making. I'm thinking of following the P&L plan next year, but somewhere around the 60 mile a week mark, rather than your 100 mile level!

Another easy/recovery 5 miles today, seem to be getting fitness back. 7 miles tomorrow with strides to get the legs moving a bit faster.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Joe: good luck and fingers crossed for the weekend!

Steve: I definitely find the strides are helpful at getting the legs going again without knackering yourself out completely

9miles last night with 5 at LT pace. Was a bit of a struggle as these sessions always are but managed to keep around the 7min/mi pace finishing slightly faster so happy with that.

5 mile recovery at lunchtime today.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Reg - I'd almost forgotten about that real estate board. I can't imagine it happening now but you never know.

Kew Green cricket field is a pretty good spot for barefoot running as it's always well mown and visibility is good for spotting any potential hazards. Other parks near me are more risky but it is much easier to clean a turd of your bare foot than it is to get it out of the tread in your shoes.

Steve - good to see you're recovering and getting back into things.

AWC - Nice LT session

Joe - Read your latest blog, a good read as always. Tracker downloaded and ready for Sunday. Even I'm getting a bit excited.

Got out for the club track session last night. Session was diminishing recovery 400s. No, I'd never done anything like it before either - 300 easy/100 hard, 200 easy/200 hard, 100 easy/300 hard, 400 easy, 400 hard for 30 minutes. Tried to sit at about MP effort for easy sections and LT effort for hard sections. 12.5 miles total including run to and from track and almost 23 miles for the day, so happy with that. We'll see how the legs manage a short plod today. Over 40 miles in the first 3 days of the week with my big sessions done and Alan and Spoon are still ahead of me on the Strava table - great stuff guys.
  • What strava table is that HA? I use strava so will take a look although  I will be a long way down the list!
    I managed a progressive 7 Miles last night from 6.07 down to 5.16, but which was really good, although I'm feeling it this morning. 
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Nice progression. Here's the link to the Strava club:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/176424

• Cheers. Just joined. Do you know if you can change from km to miles?
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Not long now Joe. How you feeling? Has the Weather forecast improved any? Hope travel down to Tenby is smooth.

Nice LT session AWC.

Looks like your recovery is going well Steve and you are getting back into it.

Back with another massive Wednesday HA-very impressive as ever.

Lightning progression there Phil!

A 6 mile jog for me this morning has got me to 50 miles for the week so far but I'm not on Strava so they probably don't count ;-)
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Philip, the units are determined by your Strva account settings, I assume it's because you followed a link from the Aussie, what with his fancy KMs. Talking of fancy th
    at's some progression, if I started at 6:0x I wouldn't have much room to go faster.

Quality day HA. I had a rest day yesterday, I might try an easy one today but I am sure I will continue to languish near the bottom of the Strava table. I feel like I am on the injury tightrope at the moment.

• Adios indeed Tom. And you’ll be glad to hear I got my nephew his first running shoes yesterday, and they are of course Adidas ;) Great medium-long!

Thanks Reg. Hope the achilles is ok. I’ve always suspected that KT tape is just placebo but given how widely it’s used these days, it must have some effect even if it is just mental.

Good luck for Tenby Joe, I read your blog sounds like you have a great mindset/goals going in. Hope you smash it.

Thanks HA. The plan is pretty similar to regular P&D marathon plans, so I think I’d have had similar improvements. The main differences are a slightly shorter long run, and these slightly more complicated tempo runs. I think I’m definitely going to incorporate some of the variable tempo runs, and maybe some of the BAC sessions, in to my next P&D marathon plan though. Top work as ever on the double session day.

Philip I agree about fasted training. I’ve been doing most of my runs first thing without breakfast for a few years now. Although I do need a double espresso to get me going :D When I first started I would only do short recovery runs, and would find them a real struggle. However I now do everything including sessions and big long runs without issue. Great progression run very impressive pace!

Nice LT AWC, they are always tough.

Tom if it’s not on Strava it didn’t happen… ;)

15 mile MLR for me this morning. Legs felt a bit tired from yesterday, but they were still turning over well, and sped up as I got going. Averaged 6:56/mi without any magic shoes so very happy with that. One bonus of the darker mornings is the nice sunrises, was lovely this morning. Looks like it’s going to be wet again for my recovery later though :(

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    Spoons - You're clearly flying. Am I right in thinking that MLR pace is only about 15 secs/mile slower than your marathon PB pace? Great session yesterday too and well done on the 5 mile race.

Carefully does it Reg, when is your race?

Welcome back Tom, straight back to it I see. Great effort.

Congrats on the half marathon and Champs Qualifying place Philip and some solid training recently.

Solid double session day as always HA. You must sleep well on a Wednesday night!

Well done on toughing out the LT session AWC.

Hope the recovery is going well Steve.

Good luck for the weekend Joe. Smash it!

Looks like you're going well JCG, some nice sessions on strava.

14 mile MLR home from work yesterday. not a particularly exciting session so decided to spice it up by planning to need a dump about 4 miles in :| A nerve-wracking next few miles followed convincing myself I could make it to the end before admitting defeat and doing 'a Reg' and jumping in behind a bush. Quite impressed at my turn-around time, would put the formula 1 pit stops to shame :p
  • That's twice today I have read about turds on here whilst I have been eating  :s
  • When does a run become an official long run? I did 15.5 today and kinda thought that was a long run, but I saw Spoons run on strava and his 15 was a medium long run.

It was pretty unpleasant unfortunately, as I've still got the half marathon and the impromptu (and slightly daft) fast progressive run in my legs from last night. Still, all miles in the bank I suppose. 
  • Thanks Alan. It’s 11 seconds/mi slower than my Brighton Marathon pace, so yeah clearly some progress there. For comparison, I think the fastest I did an MLR at a similar effort on a similar route prior to Brighton was 7:10/mi. Well done on the quick pit stop ;)

Philip I think Pfitzinger’s official cut-off is 17 miles or over for a long run vs a medium-long, not that I think it particularly matters. I usually class whatever my longest run that week is as my long run, even if it’s only 12 or something.

Those tough runs are always great mental training, and good practise running on tired legs. Nice work getting it done. 
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Things hotting up on here again. Holidays are over. Marathons looming.

Philip... I think you'd only be bottom of any list if you're holding it upside down.
    Spoons...  fantastic improvement over the last year.
    Alan - hopefully fewer skid marks than those F1 cars.
    Tom / Strava...  I kind of want to do it... but it reveals too much information for my liking, so no thanks.
    HA... nice session... wish there was a track in my town.

Talking of local tracks... Jooligan...  It's better than 50/50 chance that I'll do your Forest Mile race next week.  I had a good V02 max session last night and think I might be within a few seconds of where I was last time I did it a couple of years back. But if you've got a local club using it as their championship race, I suspect the competition will be rather strong this time!    

6x0.5m late last last night (home after 11), with 50% intervals...  except for the 5th interval was about 150% because some nice old fella came up to me and started recounting his old running exploits.  I didn't have the heart to just run off!  Anyway, they were good reps, consistently at 6.30 pace which is only about 10s slower than I was doing before my marathon PB.
  • Thanks for the mile race invite, Jooligan. I would really like to do one, but at the moment can’t justify several hours out the house in the evening.

Excellent progression run, Reg. I have used Rocktape and tend to rate it. The sports masseuse I went to seemed to think Rocktape worked slightly differently to traditional KT tape and shouldn’t be stretched as much. Apparently it helps lift the skin, dilating and increasing blood flow to the affected area. Who knows.

I’m intrigued by the knuckle lights, Tom. The only I could find on amazon were prohibitively expensive (£200). Out the door at 4.30am – impressive! Cracking MLR.

Great to see JCG cracking on with some longer stuff. Look forward to seeing you at Abo.

I enjoyed the analysis, Muddy. I must say I feel the need to double down on S&C. And I am lucky enough to now supervise some gym time on a Wednesday afternoon – a cheeky chance to chuck round some tin and realise how weak I am in comparison to teenagers.

Watch out for that other kind of mud between the toes, HA. Amazing double day. What’s the longest single run you plan to do?

Cracking session, Spoons. It really is interesting to think about the LT training effects of that – especially considering your 7M average. And a hell of a pace for your MLR.

Very impressive progression Philip.

A late night at school on Tuesday meant I wasn’t sure how I’d feel for the tempo sandwich session the next morning. Nonetheless, I cracked on with key stats: MP effort 20 mins – a bit quick at 6:23s, but my HR was playing up so I wasn’t finding it a little hard to gauge effort levels accurately. 5 x 4 mins hard – 5:52 – 5:58. Really pleased with these paces for non-track. Then 20 mins MP effort at 6:28s – about the right HR and certainly wasn’t destroyed at the end. 14M including WU and WD at 6;57 average. If you’d told me a few years ago I’d be knocking out sub 90 minute halves before school… Tremendously happy with such a solid workout, especially as I thought without the benefit of doing it on a track this week it could be slower. The longer sessions are still faster than MP but it’s the training effect I’m really after anyway. Nice to bump into Spoons for a second day running, especially as I donned my very brightest yellow t shirt in homage to his previous days vest and hat.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

Nice Reps NE.

I think you are sensible to be cautious with it Reg. Don't want to risk anything at this stage. 

SQ-I dont think you can get the Knuckle lights through Amazon. My wife got them for me a year or so ago and she had to order them directly from America. If you google them then the company called 'Knuckelights' should come up. Not sure how expensive they were but certainly much less than £200 and well worth it in my opinion. Great session there by the way!

9 miles in the pouring rain and howling wind this morning. 3 at HMP 5:45s and 3 at MP 6:08s. Felt a bit sluggish and conditions were pretty dire! Rest up now before Chippenham HM on Sunday. Hope the weather improves!!

Have a good Friday everyone!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Nice one Alan. Did you sacrifice a sock to clean up or just look for some suitable leaves?

Phil - I've always thought a proper long run is over 2 hours, which would be about 17 miles for me. I agree that it is a bit depressing when you feel you can't call a 15 miler a long run.

Nice intervals NE.

SQ - Great BAC session, very impressive. It's funny you ask the question about my longest single run as I was just putting together a blog post considering if proper long runs are really that important to me. Rushed it through this morning just for you.
    <a href="https://wordpress.com/read/feeds/65345389/posts/1585691036">https://wordpress.com/read/feeds/65345389/posts/1585691036</a>

Longest runs in the Abingdon plan are some of the Wednesday evening sessions at a bit over 20 km. Longest steady paced runs are 20 km.

Tom - Nice 9 miler and good luck with the HM on Sunday. What's the goal?

Will try to get out for a MLR this afternoon but we're heading up to the inlaws so will have to see if I can squeeze it in.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    HA-I am targeting Cardiff Half in 3 weeks time so Sunday will be a good gauge of current fitness and a decent training run if nothing else. Will just see how it pans out on the day depending on weather, course etc.
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Re. Long runs, I read somewhere that the physiological benefits (capillary beds etc) start after around 90 minutes of training. I always assumed this tied in with Lydiard/P&Ds 15 mile cap on MLRs as that's about what the elite athletes they trained would cover in 90 minutes.

HA - No socks were harmed during the event, thankfully I tend to carry a piece or two of kitchen roll, as I've been burned before. p.s. it might just be the work computer but I couldn't get the link to your blog to work, it was asking for log-in details.

Reg, that's probably because, like most of us on here, you're always eating.

Spoons, if I could do my MLRs at 11 secs/mile slower than mara pace I'd be ready to go (or my mara PB would be too soft).

Great training NE and SQ.

Good luck for the half on Sunday Tom.

Just got a last minute entry to a 10 mile race on Sunday on the island I grew up in. Legs are pretty trashed from a hard weeks training but couldn't resist the offer. Will see how the legs recover over the next two days to decided whether to give it full gas or just use it as a hard run. Weather looks garbage anyway so don't think it'll be a fast one.
  • AlanB said:

Reg, that's probably because, like most of us on here, you're always eating.

I put it down to the fact we're always talking shit  :)
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sorry alan. I think thats the wring link. Try here.

sub230blog.wordpress.com

• Previous link worked for me, interesting stuff HA but I feel that you've kind of left your bucket on the fence.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Remind of the bucket thingy. .......I missed out on that last time and could do with some useful insights amongst all the shit that we all talk on here......;-)
  • I can't remember what the bucket analogy was about. I can just remember enough to use it for banter  :D

Good to see the Metros fixture pencilled in though HA, I am planning to do that event if I am suitably recovered. I'll be happy if I can at least get you to needlessly look over your shoulder again.
  • Thanks for the blog post HA. Interesting to hear your thoughts. It is of course hard to say how you would have done in London had you not built the base for Manchester. I read somewhere that marathon runners retained many of the physiological adaptations in their muscles even after 12 months off.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Final MP run this morning - 7:50/mi for 14 of the 18 miles. Felt tough enough as I made it a bit hilly but glad to have it in the bag now. 6 weeks to Abingdon so just a few long runs left. Got 7mi LT session this week which is my least favourite run but am doing it in a 10km race on Wednesday. Solent Half Marathon in 2 weeks time. Big runs coming thick and fast at the minute!

I do like getting long runs out of the way on a Saturday morning. 

NE: how is the recovery from the ultra coming along?

Happy running everyone this weekend!
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Nice effort SQ. I might have a go at the BAC sessions, seem to be a great mix of MP and VO2 max. You're getting some solid runs in recently. 

Spoons - your paces are speeding up very impressively, you must have bags of confidence at the moment. 

Good read HA77, I'd like to try your approach at some point but will need to get a few more training cycles under my belt first. 

Good luck to those racing this weekend Joe, Tom and most probably Jooligan. 

AWC - great MP run, that's always a big test and seems like you nailed it.  I'm at the same stage as you, ended up doing 15 miles @ 6:43 m/m with 22 miles in total, feeling aerobically fine but legs a bit trashed. Like HA77 said in his blog, it's going to be the muscular endurance which determines if I get sub 3 this time. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow Joe and anyone else racing this weekend.
  • Ask HA a question and he goes to town with the blog! Excellent write up mate, really enjoyed reading it. Went on to read your previous entry as well. Are you still planning on the 2 x 20km w 16km at MP? Beast of a day. And I now feel fully versed on bucket-gate. 

Thanks for the knuckle lights info, Tom. I'll wait until my current head torch eventually expires and then seriously consider them. Excellent MLR in mingling conditions. 

Good luck Alan for the 10M, and to Joe in Tenby. Hope the puncture gods are kind. 

Excellent MP runs AWC and John. 

parkrun with the buggy thisnmorning. I do enjoy jogging round and having a chat with my daughter. Although I always get the impression that others at the same speed find singing nursery rhymes a bit annoying. Oh well. The Tour of Britain is coming very close by later today. Weather permitting, we'll either watch the final climb on Cleeve Hill, or the finish in Cheltenham town centre. Could be a dicey finish - narrow, cobbles, lots of turns and rain/lightning. 

Planning on on an early morning 10M easy, 10M MP tomorrow.