Sub 3h15

Comments

• PMJ tasty looking cake and running champion ,Impressive !
    0054 I hope you took it easy at the parkrace ...
    Badbark this is going to be a record mileage month for you  .
    Slokey smash it but take the run easy .
    MSE Leaving no stone unturned for a strong comeback .

Physio yesterday (my last session I hope things are getting better but I can only plod at 8:30-9m/mile for now )  then 5 miles . Have ordered new shoes as the heel on one has been ruined by foot dragging right through to the foam ,not sure how many miles covered by nowhere near the 800m Gul can get ,possibly not even half that this time although I usually get around 6-700m to a pair.

5 easy today again.8:46m/mile .

• Interesting video there MsE - where is your osteopath based?

Hope Madbark's marathon went well today - is the lack of report because he's decided to squeeze something else into the weekend without telling us?

G-Dawg - are you following the Stones-Woking match at the moment?!

Practice long run for me this morning to see how it felt wearing the pack that I'll be doing my Scottish run in - filled it with various changes of running tops, jacket and gels to get a sense of the weight and then set off on what turned out to be 21.5 miles, my longest run for 3 months. Tried to keep the pace nice and slow as I'll be aiming for no faster than 9 min/mile on the actual run.

No issues with the bulk or the weight of the pack but the anticipation of running 4 days on tired legs is a bit worrying - I keep reminding myself that a challenge is only really a challenge if there's about a 70% chance of success!
  • Nice cake skills PMJ.
    Good luck BB. I've stayed in the Europa with work a few times.

Crazy week coming to an end. Have decided to split the marathon tomorrow into two half maras to mitigate risk.

Did 13.1 this morning. Did it on the road and at a steady 7.27 pace.

Farnham Pilgrim half tomorrow will be on the trails and I'll treat it as a fun LSR. Thought I'd best behave myself as MsE might be watching! ;)
  • Good luck those racing in the morning - SJ - OO - PMJ - anyone else?  

I am not expecting a PW because that would be almost inconceivable, but it's going to be ugly. 

Great hidden skills in the PMJ family.

Nice of Lorenzo to drag the family along on his running holiday  ;)

As for the Europa Hotel, in my experience you see some very strange things going on there so the idea of a load of people jumping off the roof on a rope is not that odd.  Good luck!

• PMJ – You must be very proud, that’s impressive stuff!

OO – I hope you have a very enjoyable outing tomorrow.

BB – Good luck for tomorrow.

SJ – I hope you can hang on on the run. Good luck!

MsE – Running form, I love stuff like this.  Glad to hear you are niggle free.

Leslie – What runners did you get?

Lorenzo – Nice LSR. Keep the lid on the pace and you’ll be fine, I’m sure you will.

G-Dawg – Nice steady pace for your 13.1.

Poacher – I’m expecting great things from you off no training, so come on don’t let us down. :smiley:

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow! 

Parkrun pacing duties for me again this morning. Another PB for my new running buddy. 18 second improvement and super even splits, not easy on that course. Bodes well for much faster times in the future. 

• OO - good target - now go smash it!
    Badbark - that's a phenomenal pace for 1 mile reps. Enjoy your easy marathon today!
    SJ - best wishes at the European Champs. Hope the hip holds up.
    Lorenzo - good speed and nice long run with backpack.
    MsE - a case study now!
    Leslie - hope the physio has signed you off.
    GD - wise move to do 2 halves. Enjoy the trail HM today.
    Poacher - all the best in the New Forest mara.
    PMJ - enjoy your accidental 26.2.
    GM - good pacing.
    22 miles ridiculously early yesterday. 11 @ 8:24 HR 138 and 11 @ 7:54 HR 148. Brings up 68 for the week. Rest today.

• Foggy. But looks like a lovely day for a plod.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Leslie - fingers x'd you make progress quickly - maybe the new shoes will help  . . .

Lorenzo, Gul - great long running . . . 

G Dawg  -  excellent training half - hope today goes well - likewise Poacher  . . 

Gerard 
    - more good pacing there - nice to help a pal - speaking of which, just heard from my VoGit mate (who will be 64 in December) - he's bagged 1:31:54 at Vale of York half marathon . . .    

rest yesterday - been watching Great North on TV, so will head out for 5 or 6 soon to complete my week
  • Lorenzo nice long run ,you will be grand !
    Gdawg nice half 
    Gerard I always get nike  air zoom pegasus as they tend not to change much year to year ,another pair of 33's although I preferred the 32's before them but will give them another try.Great that your new running buddy is getting up to speed.
    Gul great 22 miler in a big week , can only imagine what time ridiculously early was !!!
    Birch new runners can only help , now you know what to aim for to beat said Vogit nothing like a bit of friendly rivalry .
    Poacher Enjoy your long plod with a long run of a mere 3 miles !!! , people would laugh at that if they didn't know you ,nobody here laughin' though ...all the best with it.

Got a mlr in  of 10 miles at 8:40 average this morn in the rain, actually managed to get a single 8 m/mile in things are looking up !
    47m for the week ,I only did 48 last month !

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Quick pop in from the plane

Went mostly to plan yesterday
    Took swim easy (a bit too easy) and was very congested, hit the first bike lap at normal IM race effort but then cruised the second to save extra for the run expecting to struggle. Jogged it round with lots of high 5s, chatting and laughing to finish in 11:22.  About an hour shy of where I'd aim to be normally but considering the lack of running it was ok. And the hip didn't completely seize up! 28th out of 50 in my age group for the Euro Champs 

First 3K of the run was in a shade over 12mins so it was downhill from there as you might expect, with a sticky patch in the middle as things started to flare up, but eased (very slowly) through it and the final lap of 6 was my second quickest. 4:30 for the marathon and feel content to hang up my trainers. 16 in total including 4 ultras and 5 IMs.

And I can still walk today which is an unexpected bonus :)

Looking forward to lurking on here and watching you amazing, warm and friendly people flourish and smash all of your targets e.g. Poacher breaking the hundred barrier, MsE finally being injury free and Badbark being committed

All the best

SJ
  • Hehehe

i love a manky foot pic 
  • SlokeyJoe said:
    Hehehe

i love a manky foot pic 
    I don't :-(

Whoops, went out for a long run this morning and accidentally signed up for the Chiltern Marathon which is a LDWA Challenge to do 20 or 26 miles in a day on foot. I love these events, real low key, really nice people who are all there to enjoy being out in the open.

Turned up 8:30 and registered and they said: "What time do you want to start?" I said I thought runners had to start at 9:30 but the said any time was fine so long as you didn't get to checkpoint 1 before 10:15. CP1 is 9.5 miles in so I reckoned 1.5 hours was safe so picked 8:45. Better to be home as early as possible. I stepped outside and there was another guy in running kit who also had an 8:45 start time so we decided to pair up. I had the route on my watch (seems I was the only one who had it as I pestered the organisers a bit) and he had the instructions printed out so we worked fairly well together on the navigation. 

Where the route is, the valleys run north to south and join the Thames so you have an option of running north south and staying in the valleys or on the ridges or running west to east which means you are descending to the valley floors and up the other side. This route was the latter so we had 5 downs and 5 ups before we got to CP1. By then we had passed all the early starting walkers and were first there. A couple of drinks and some salty snacks (none of this sports nutrition stuff) and we were off again. CP1 was the most western part of the course, so we headed north up a long valley and then east (another down and up) to get to CP2 at about 15 miles. At CP2 there was an option to do a 6-mile loop before hittign the final 5 back.

The loop was slightly uninspiring. The first part was a mile down to the valley, along a bit and then a mile back up to very close to CP2 again and then repeat on the other side but a but 2 miles down, along a bit and 2 back up. 

Dan (my pair) was starting to slow a bit and the uphill walks were getting slower and longer and starting sooner and at about 17 miles (starting the down of the second part of the loop) we hit a very smooth road which was going down gently and it was clear I wanted to stretch out and he couldn't so we parted. I ran easily onto CP2 but probably pushed on too hard as I started to feel my legs at 20 miles. A quick turnover (in fact a quick two drinks, flapjack and Tuc biscuit) and out of CP2 and the last leg home. The last 6 miles were basically 4 miles downhill through Turville (Dibley and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) and then 2 up to the finish. My legs started to turn over moderately well on the downhill and I knocked off my fastest mile (mile 22 7:34) and got to 24 miles and then the last 2 were more walking than runing but they were uphill ...

Score on the doors, 4:25 on the Garmin at 10:16 average pace, official 4:35 so 10 minutes spent eating and drinking at the check points. First runner home over the full 26 but others started later so need to see some results for final place which is, in fact, immaterial.

Happy with a time on the feet run and especially happy how easy it felt up to just short of 20. Don't know how it would have played out with more conservative pacing later on. May do a few more of these but confirms that I can persuade my body to do a decent marathon but I'm ruling ultras out. Guys like poacher can knock one of these off with no training and feel fresh as a daisy afterwards. For me, 26 is the top end of my range.
  • Nice work, Slokey. Minging feet.  And a brave first 3km!

Sounds like a tough but fun morning, PMJ.

Little of note for me: club session on Thursday was 3 x 2.15km (I managed current 10k pace: 6.31s!).  6 on Friday, 9 yesterday and 16 today to bring up 50 for the week. I'll be interested to see how the Bristol Half goes next week: I predict something between 1.26 and 1.28, but if the gods are kind, 1.25!
  • Forgot to mention the GPS held up well. I normally charge it once a week and it has about 20 to 30% left after 40 or so miles so maybe 50 miles total. Today it used 40% of the charge so it can do a short ultra,
  • A quick check in before I read back. 
    Did the Farnham Pilgrm half on the trails this morning. Really annoyed it.
    It was just another training run but things got interesting when I started at the front and everyone bombed past me. That gave me a game to play.

I said to a mate after 2 miles that loads had gone out way too fast and that I'd pick them off later. Sure enough they all started coming back to me.

I felt particularly strong in the last 5 miles and found myself powering past those ahead, one by one. Some complimented me on my pace so deep into the race and a few shook my hand at the end for my strong finish. What a bloody nice, classy bunch.

The event is lovely, very friendly and well organised. I clocked 1.39 with an average of 7.33. I was second home for our club and apparently first three score points and we got third team overall.

Around 1100 feet of incline and some tough terrain made for a good test. After a 7.27 pace 13.1 miler yesterday, I'm really happy with today's result and that my training has worked quite well to allow me to take on two runs like this, not tried that approach before.

Time to read back, looks like some interesting photos to view.  ;)
  • SJ that's a super effort and few will bow out of running with such a high proportion of ultras and IM maras legs in their total.  Good luck walking on that manky foot.  Do stay around and post - your tri/bike knowledge is always of interest.

What did GD do to annoy the Farnham Pilgrim so much?  Chucking gel sachets in the woods?  Sounds like a good time, if it's anything like the mara the terrain is indeed pretty demanding in places.

Nice bimble by PMJ. +1 for LDWA events which are a good way to explore, brush up on navigation etc, and generally very cheap to enter. The longer ones count as a mara for 100 Mara Club purposes (not that I'm interested).  No question at all that you could still do a very decent mara if you wanted to.

Joolska good luck for next week
  • Since sport is voluntary, woe and pain are generally self inflicted and today fitted the pattern. Since the A target in June (riding Vatternrundan) I have clocked about 100m running and 180m bike so fitness has fallen off a cliff due to CBNA, travelling to strange places, the joys of self-employment etc etc. The only peg to enter the New Forest Marathon was running with Poachette2 who belatedly had to DNS. It was clearly going to be a painful day, and one that started very early with a long drive down from Kent. Just finishing would have been fine; I quite expected something with a 4 in so it wasn't all that bright to do the first 1/2 at 3.30 pace.  After 1/2 way I started to feel light headed, tired and generally bleurgh but didn't dare eat as I also felt sick and treated other runners to the delightful sound of painful dry retching several times. Nice.

I walked quite a bit of the last few miles but sub4 was still on.  Final score: 3.46:45 which actually isn't bad under the circs. However the legs feel rough and it does make me think again about retiring gracefully as after 72 mara/ultra finishes there's nothing much to prove, and do I really want to try to churn out another 28 of these things when I could be cycling, walking, watching Homes Under The Hammer etc?  The contrast with cycling is stark: one can spend many hours in the saddle and still be a human being afterwards.

On the plus side, the race was well organised, mostly off road on forest trails, and there are loads of animals to see.  Really a very attractive event and mildly undulating rather than hilly so as trail maras go, it must be one of the fastest/prettiest in the country. Recommended.
  • ...although parts of the medal are a very nasty colour...

• ..and I'm only 2nd to Slokey in the "minging feet of the week" competition  :'(

Sorry about that - don't have nightmares.

• Years in the army, treat your feet well and they will treat you well. Dry socks, powder if needed.

•  :D:D:D  Enjoyed it!!!  :D:D:D
  • Top banana, this is the best day of minging foot p*rn we've had on here in years!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
     I've just had my supper, ffs !!!!   
  • .. and I'm just off to bed so very worried there's an inevitability about getting nightmares about feet.

Great marathon running from Poacher and PMJ, together with sterling performances from G-Dawg (despite being annoyed) and OO (who's clearly still in the process of penning his race report from GNR)

Rounded the week off with a 10 mile trail run with mates from the club to bring me up to 65 for the week (my biggest week of the year so far) and means I can justify a rest day tomorrow.

Oh, and I also celebrated 23 years of marital bliss today; coincidentally 23 is also the number of marathons (as opposed to ultras) I've done. :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great stuff over the weekend, SJ, PMJ, Poacher - btw, Poacher, you said " there's nothing much to prove"  . . . . I'd say you have absolutely nowt to prove :)

and good mar(ital)athon numbers, Lorenzo - one marathon per year now required - 'til death us do part ??   ;)

• Leslie - slow but sure progress.
    SJ - well done, that's a great result. But we didn't really want to see the foot pic! Or all those others!!!
    PMJ - good result for a fairly challenging course. I'm sure you could manage an ultra on a relatively flat one ;)
    Jools - hopefully you're going to peak just at the right time.
    GD - sounds like a successful day's work.
    Poacher - impressive as ever. It would be a shame to stop at 72 though...
    Lorenzo - congratulations to you and Mrs L.
    A slow 8 miler to start the week for me @ 8:44 m/m.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Oh my lord I have come back to a foot fetish thread! I'm not going to join in as my toe nails are a disgrace.

Well done Slokey you have a good perspective on your race, and I'm glad you came though it without any injury or setback.

Late post on GNR. Sadly things did not go to plan and I had an under par run. The old hips plagued me and from about 3 miles I knew it was going to be a tough examination. My 6:15 pace plan fell away by 4 miles and the next 7 were tough and painful, seeing my club pals slip away in the distance. I did rouse myself for the last 2 miles and got back with  6:30's in each.  1:24:39 is about 20 secs down on last year but well outside my 1:23 target.

Having said all of that it was a great day and both as a family event (2 daughters running also) and to appreciate the joys of running in a big supportive club seeing friends during the race and in the pub after.  And the good thing about a poor run is that you recover quickly. I hope to bounce back and be ready for the 10k track next Saturday which is the UK Vets Champs- I hope a sub-37 is still possible. 

Congrats on the wedding anniversary Lorenzo- hope you had a great day!

• Wow! Top bombing, OO despite not hitting what you wanted. Very impressive.