Monday 11th September 2017 - How I wish I could surrender my soul

Morning.

Lyrics - How I wish I could surrender my soul

Lovely to hear that you're still running Stickless, hope recovery is good and all systems go. I'm not in the path of the hurricane - due over there in three weeks for a much anticipated and needed holiday. Looking as though we should be able to go at the minute whereas Irma was forecast to hit land at a category 5 just about where we are going to stay.

Have a safe and stress free journey home Poppy.

Winter seems to have arrived - dark, cold, wet and windy this morning:-(

What:           short and easy
Why:            tapering
Last hard:    sleeping
Last rest:     15/7

Yesterday's lyrics - Time On My Hands by Don Williams.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: anti-grav treadmill this pm. Not sure whether to do a gym session as well.

Why: a slight dilemma in that the a-g will go up to at least 92% bodyweight today and I need to see if there is a reaction; if I go to the fitness suite then that may compromise what I am measuring. May well just settle for gentle stretching.

Wonder how Dustin relayed and Emz  supped!

Very wet here, and there is a severe weather warning for gales: hope that it doesn't affect your travel plans, OH! Rather small beer compared to the other side of the pond; and talking of beer, I'm free Wednesday evening...

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Stickless:  I currently have an Achilles injury and am running on an anti-gravitational treadmill that can reduce one's bodyweight (unfortunately only temporarily!). This may well be a useful aid to your running (or anyone else for that matter!). This is what I wrote last week: 

I think this is the machine I am running on...

http://www.alterg.com/products/anti-gravity-treadmills/m320-f320/health-wellness

The one I am using cost around £60k! Another link: 

https://www.runtothefinish.com/alterg-anti-gravity-treadmill/

Whilst it is a good substitute for running, I find it difficult to equate the times that I am running with real life times. Finding 7 minute miles to be easy, but wouldn't in real life. And it is not very exciting, and nor is the gym work! Am thinking of using the a-g treadmill for my speedwork when I am fully recovered: at least it will be dry and warm!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: running club
    Why: it's Monday
    Last hard: waking up
    Lyrics: nope

So the three of us, a pirate and 2 hula girls, had a great time at Bacchus yesterday.  I got blessed by a nun, then met some centurions, who offered to protect me from bandits, and then some superheroes turned up and said they'd protect us too if needed.  I followed daddy disco round the course with his music spurring my friend along.  

The organisation was pretty appalling for the entry fee, a long queue to pick up race numbers, and despite the promise of "savoury or sweat snacks to compliment the wine." there was only one station with "food".  None of it was nut free and there was probably enough for 500 runners rather than the thousands there were.  We were taking so long to run that I was starving half way round.  I hadn't taken anything with me as it was clear from past years and from the email that they would provide food.  My friend was really struggling to run faster than about 7 min/km so we finished in just under 3 hours and I was so hungry by the end.  We got our free hog roast (gone in 2 bites, I seriously was angry by this point) and went to the cafe to get tea and cake!

Despite the lack of food and bad organisation it was a fun day out.  It did make me ask myself how these companies can charge such exorbitant race fees and get away with bad organisation, but I guess, if people pay, they will continue to do it.

Would I do it a 3rd time?  Maybe.  If they reduced the price and got some proper aid stations alongside the wine. 

WP well done sounds like a tough battle.

SC that sounds positive.

RFJ sounds like a nice morning out :)

Have a lovely day all.

• That sounds pretty pants emzap - maybe an email to the organiser asking where the promised food was and offering some constructive feedback about number collection etc plus a post on their FB page or wherever?

The weather is so off putting here at the minute (and given that I'm tapering) I've decided to bake before going out in the hope that things will improve a little. My left quad was behaving strangely during my run yesterday and again on Grace's walk this morning - I'm hoping this is just taper madness. No race pack as yet, when I emailed the organisers the week before last they said that the 'elite' information was being sent out last week - but the postman has just been and still nothing. I don't want to keep hassling them (partly because I don't think I really deserve the free entry) so am undecided what to do - I'm thinking leave it until after the post has arrived tomorrow and if still nothing email again?
  • Settle for taper madness LMH. WP, great effort and good idea to stay up, At LV you are very close to the NWWC so if you fancy some whitewater rafting or canyoning post race next year :-) Ale, I sense your frustration. Stickless, nice report and good luck on the next outing. EMZ...what LMH said. Constructive feedback and a bit of a prod looks like they would not go amiss.
    What: May go for a wee jogette later 
    Why: Achilles no better and no worse today so why not
    Last hard: Starting parkrun on Sat
    Last Rest: Yesterday
    Lyrics: Nope
    Dreich in the valleys today, hope the sun makes a guest appearance before lunchtime
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Yes I am contemplating doing that (a 209 Event so would have expected better).  Also, the course was 1 km short, would have been very very annoying if you weren't just doing it for fun like for some of the marathoners.
  • Hiya,
    Emz that sounds truly dreadful. Definitely provide feedback. I think 209 events ran out of water on the South Downs (June) too, so they have 'form'.
    Stickless - lovely to hear from you again
    LmH - Enjoy (!) Florida, it will be all different in three weeks I'm sure. 

What - easy miles
    Why - recovery
    Last rest - 02/09
    Last hard - Hampshire Road Relays yesterday.
    Did leg three (of three). and due to a number of absences our senior team had an average age of 50!
    Fast teams from Southampton and Aldershot (mainly sub 15 5kers) so we were never going to be in with a chance. Went off too quick - it's two laps of a good running path - so first mile went by in 5:52...put the sensible head on, and eased back a bit, but still 18.53 for 3 miles.
    On the upside our V60 team took silver (our senior time would have won V50 bronze) and our two V40 ladies teams took gold & bronze. 
    It's not a big event ~30 teams, mainly the larger clubs in the county, but it's growing year on year which is a good thing.

• Morning all,

emzap -that's all a bit discouraging. Doesn't sound like there's much in it to motivate a return visit.

lmh - hope that the quad behaves and nothing in the entry has got screwed up.  Frustrating waiting for the post.

alehouse - had a look at the anti-gravity treadmill.  Hmm. I'm a low tech runner.  Have seen something like this before, a simplified version, a harness strung from the ceiling which enable the runner (in this case, someone suffering from pd, I think) to get moving without so much effort.  It reminded me of the baby bouncer strung from any convenient doorframe which was invaluable when my kids were tinies. I reckon I'll stick with the great outdoors.  It has, occasionally, added extras.  An egret today, a kingfisher last Friday.  

Whatever gets you going, go for it.
  • I'm a low-tech runner too, Stickless...but needs must sometimes! It is a lot more sophisticated than the baby bouncer contraption of old! Can't wait to be back on the river bank though!

Well done team Dustin! And sounds like a good day despite everything, Emz!
  • I'd love to see a mile beginning with a five Dustin! Sounds like a good outing. I'm hoping hurricane number two doesn't hit Florida too...............so looking forward to this holiday.

Positive achilles news SC.

I think sticking to the running with the increased body weight today makes sense Alehouse.

Had just about everything but snow weather wise so far today - bright sun, heavy showers, strong wind - fortunately managed to dodge the worst of it.
  • Very wet and windy, back in the consulting room today but hope to join the loop group this evening.
    Last rest: Chose not to run again yesterday
    Last hard: patience
    Lyrics No

Images of AH bouncing along the riverbank in oversized baby bouncer ...  ;)

Dragons should be good for Wednesday
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    stickless aah egrets and kingfishers! I've missed your posts, lovely to see you here
    LMH sure it will be dine when you are there
    good club running dustin
    oh Alehouse!! I dont think I told you??? I got first in wv55 assembly league, happy wabo! 
    sc hope it wont well
    emzap whatever runthat was it does sound fun, but that sounds like the  problem with bigger events sometimes
    alehouse did you gym as well?

what: well due to holiday unfortunately tonight must be a long run, 2 1/4 hours I think
    why: last one was done before I went away and about 48 days now t o snowdonia!!
    lasthard: every run last week
    last rest: 31/12, still!
    have a great day all 
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Wabo: impressive how you keep that streak going.

stickless: Brilliant to have you back and how wonderful you're still running. Well done on completing the half.

em: that race org sounds appalling. How annoying. I really thought it was a perfect fun-filled event. And they can't even claim teething problems - this has been running for a while, hasn't it?

Poppy: Well battled under the circumstances.

Mega fast miles, Dustin.

Good news re. achilles, SC.

What: strength work, form drills on the treadie and a short swim
    Why: recovery
    Last hard: the bench
    Last rest: 5/8
    Lyrics: no

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    So last time I did it, it was perfect.  Then this year 209 took over the event and I think this is where the problem lies...Don't get me wrong, I did have a lot of fun, but yes appalling race org!

Shame you couldn't make it to Hanover, ich drucke die Daumen that it comes to Hamburg soon :)
  • Afternoon

Not long home and it is still raining:-)
    Stickless: Great to see you back again you were missed:-)

Em:Sorry to hear about problems but as others have said email the organisers I hate it when well oiled races change hands and not up to scratch.

Sc: Great to see improvement for you great news:-) you are trying to tempt me but I hate the water and it hates me right back:-)

Rest day today as kit still wet but lets hope I get a dry run tomorrow:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Stepped gingerly out of the factory and immediately drenched. 2.5 miles slow and steady. Just a wee bit stingy but no major regression. Seeing physio on Wed nigh. Hope for good news :-) Enjoy all.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wp good report and well battled! It's good when you have the voices of people here urging you on in your head
    stickless you've been that voice in that past for me, wow you battled as well"
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon!

Well done on the Assembly League win, Wabo! Hope you said hello to Dennis! Enjoy the long run!

What: 10 mins at 87% on the a-g, 15 at 92% then the last 5 at 80%. Quite hard work, but the important thing was that it was pain free; whether it will be tomorrow is a different matter!

SC: all my recent advice has been to put weight through the Achilles i.e. using a weighted backpack for the eccentric work and also doing single leg leg presses with the heel off the bottom of the "pad" where your egs press...and holding it for 20 seconds.

• Well done Wabo.

Sounds good SC.

Fifteen minutes at 92% is a step up isn't it Alehouse? Hope all is well tomorrow.
  • Last Friday I did 10 at 85%, 10 at 90 and 5 at 92, so not a massive increase, LMH! The plan is that next time I include some work at 95%...but only if there is no great reaction tomorrow morning! Once I get to 15 minutes at 95 then the aim is to run/walk outside but still do some quicker work on the a-g at a lower body weight. 

And talking of bodyweight, I am definitely putting more weight through the Achilles: now at least 8lbs heavier than I was in mid-June! Shows how much regular running keeps it off!

• I dread to think what weight I'd be if I didn't run Alehouse. Three times as long at 92%.