P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    I've never had it properly measured Reg but my 5k race effort has been up to 175bpm so guesstimate it at about 180.
  • Thanks Reg, although you made me imagine I've heroically rescued a trapped pet rather than just done some mental arithmetic. The benefit though is that it keeps me occupied  whilst I'm on a hard run. 
  • I use a mix of KM and miles in my mind, if I am running a marathon then I quite like 5km splits, I'd then switch to miles for the halfway point and I'd probably get to 20 miles and think about there being only 10k left  :)

If I did a short run off the bike, I'd often do 5k not three miles and the same for 10k not 6 miles, just because I like to reference a run to a race distance. I think it's the Americans that take the worst of both worlds, 11st is a reasonable way to announce your weight, 140 lbs is just stupid, the advantage of the imperial system is it gives you man sized increments like inches/stones that humans can visualise and the yanks go and use just pounds.
  • Joe - Awesome work!
    HA - Nice blog post an interesting read!
    Reg - Nice work on the sub 90!
    Tom - As that wasn't the target race all isn't lost. I'm sure you'll smash Cardiff.

My first double digit run since the ultra! Was meant to do 9 miles, but after Manchester I did just over 10, so wanted to do the same! Anyway, 10 miles at 8:37 min/mile with 147 bpm average HR. Similar route/distance after Manchester was 8:50 min/mile with 148 bpm.

So yeah, recovery is going OK I think based on those runs. Just need to log some more miles now to get me ready for Birmingham in 5 weeks!
  • Jooligan, well done on four million races. Very impressive powers of recovery. I was supporting our club end of season relay champs at the same venue on Sunday (well, supporting the bbq). The run was so muddy and slippy.

That’s certainly very solid, Tom, especially post holiday and after the first week back. Looking good for a build to Cardiff.

Spoons that was a brilliant progressive long run – especially on a 106M week. Your diesel engine is certainly up and running and I am excited to see your performance in the half. I just wish you’d say to hell with it an enter a marathon a couple of weeks later!

Great racing on a big week, Alan. And a delicious sounding supper.

Well done, Joe. The conditions sound atrocious, and when combined with a tough course anyway that is quite some performance. At least you know you’ve given it your all when the medics cart you off! As Tom says, hope you managed to have a couple of beers.

Big week, HA, especially with such quality as well.

Good long run, Reg. What’s the gap between IM and Abo? Any particular recovery plans?

I had originally planned yesterday to do a 20M out and back, with the return 10M at MP. This would have meant a nice tailwind the whole way – nice for confidence, but probably not great for setting realistic targets or getting some good feedback. So did 2 x 10M loops with 360ft each (I hate using feet, but Strava won’t allow miles and metres combo). Average 6:25mm for the second loop, which had a bit of wind from all directions – really happy with this on another 70M week. Hopefully it gives a good approximation for MP, although I will still aim for 6:30 – 6:35mm. My legs are pretty buggered today, but a planned easy week before Rutland Half Marathon at the weekend.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    John - I always have a spreadsheet open at work to convert pace and distance to miles. I just wish the uk and us would join the rest of the world in the 21st century and switch everything to metric. 
  • HA77 - trying to do it in my head makes the miles (kms) pass more quickly!

Reg - yep breaking the marathon into 10(miles)/10(miles)/10(km) is a good plan, weights in lbs completely confuses me and I even struggle to convert stones and ounces. :s Isn't it just UK, US, Myanmar and Liberia still on imperial?

6x800m (or 0.5m for Reg ;) ) this morning, averaging 2:50 and a fastest of 2:44. Not sure about that rep but certainly faster than a few weeks ago and a good sign for the Sydney HM this weekend. Still tossing up whether to run it in my Adios 3s or Saucony Type As, the latter are lighter but I did get a blister when I ran 10k in them.
  • John, don't you mean Burma  :) but yes I think that's right except the UK, I believe we are unique in that we pick and choose what we want, depending on the weather. If it's cold or normal then it's centigrade but you get up towards 100 degrees and things change  :)

If you're working in engineering then of course use the metric system but you don't need to go into a pub and order half a litre of ale, that would just be ridiculous.

Basically we use enough metric to look down our noses at the Americans who still measure the athletics field events in feet and inches, whilst stubbornly retaining imperial usage where it makes more sense.

• Great 10 mile race AlanB, sub-60 in tough conditions at the end of a big week is very impressive.

Impressive improvements from that club mate Jooligan! Good work on the elevation.

Epic effort Joe, well done. It’s a shame you’re so close to qualifying for Kona, but given how you’ve improved this year I think it shows it’s a matter of when you qualify, not if!

Ironman really does put marathon fees it to perspective Reg!

Great MP long run SQ, as I said on Strava impressive amount of MP work this week. Should be setting you up well for Abo. I have to admit a last minute marathon entry has crossed my mind - I even looked at New York as it’s perfect timing wise. It would be interesting as I'm definitely fitter now than before Brighton, but without the bigger long runs I don’t think I’d be as well prepared as I’d like. I’m also quite busy with a big new client, so I’m sticking with my plan. Without the marathon recovery to worry about I can hopefully arrive at the start of training for London fresh and already fairly fit.

Great intervals JohnOz. Good luck for the HM.

Interesting discussion about bts/mile. I keep an eye on mine, although I try not to worry about individual runs as it can depend on so much. Although like Alan my recovery runs tend to be my highest, and faster runs my lowest. I presume if you looked hard enough at the data you’d be able to see your most efficient pace. I tend to just monitor the overall trend week by week - I even set up a graph to visualise it: https://run.spoon.run/about/stats/. It helps show progression and I can compare where I was X weeks before my last big race to see how training is going.

I use a mix of metric and imperial, even though I was only ever taught metric at school. I really wish I’d stuck to kilometres when I started running, but now I’m used to thinking in min/mi it’s hard to switch. Although I did like working in kms at Frankfurt as the markers came more frequently, and because the km pace didn’t mean as much to me, I didn’t panic so much around pace variation.

I had 12 miles along the canal this morning, keeping the effort easy. That's my longest run this week, gradually easing back ready for my 10K. I have a slight head cold about me today, but it's not major and doesn't appear to be affecting my running so hopefully it'll be cleared by Sunday.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Interesting analysis Spoon, it does a appear to show a good progression. Almost makes me want to start using a HR monitor. But I can't be bothered with a chest strap and can't justify forking out for a new GPS with wrist based HR.

Nice intervals John. Looking good for the HM.

Reg - Imperial units never make more sense. It's just habit. I did a job in the US recently and all the energy use was in British thermal units per hour rather than watts. Terrible.

Just an easy 6-7 miles coming up at lunch for me after 8x 400m with 250m float recovery yesterday.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

Very impressive performance in those conditions and at the end of such a big week Alan!

Cracking MP effort on that long run SQ. Quality stuff!

Tasty intervals there John. looks like your ready for a big run in Sydney. Choose the Adios!

I don't know anything about heart rate and I do everything by miles-call me old fashioned!

Nothing much to report here only that the legs are feeling like they had a race on Sunday but not to the extent if I had given it full beans which is a bit reassuring. 6 miles yesterday followed by 10 this morning all very easy.

• HA77 said:

Reg - Imperial units never make more sense. It's just habit. I did a job in the US recently and all the energy use was in British thermal units per hour rather than watts. Terrible.

The trouble with metric is it doesn't have a unit between centimetres and metres, that's too big a gap. That's where inches and feet come in use. It makes sense to describe the size of something using the minimum number of integers. We don't need to declare our height to the nearest centimetre.

That's not habit, that's common sense. Hence we've dropped almost all of the non useful uses of imperial. The UK is officially metric after all. 
  • I thought I saw an arm strap somewhere that was being sold to measure HR. It may have been a Polar thing.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    HA77 said:

The trouble with metric is it doesn't have a unit between centimetres and metres, that's too big a gap. That's where inches and feet come in use. It makes sense to describe the size of something using the minimum number of integers. We don't need to declare our height to the nearest centimetre.

That's not habit, that's common sense. Hence we've dropped almost all of the non useful uses of imperial. The UK is officially metric after all. 
    I'll give you that feet and inches is convenient for height but that doesn't explain still using miles. As for weight, I can't even remember how many pounds in a stone. To me, anything nondecimal doesn't make sense. Up until a couple of years ago the number 26.2 meant nothing to me, 42.2 on the other hand....

Buying an arm based HR monitor would still mean I had to remember a second piece of equipment, so I think I'll probably just wait until I upgrade my GPS at some point.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Miles are just better, that's all you need to know really. I do my weight in KGs my wife does it in stone so I have to change the units on the fucking scales every time.

• Did Jooligan's mile race tonight.  Lace came undone on after lap one, so that was a worry as the lace slapped my calf every step.  Not the only shoe problem though.
  • NE - was it a case if grabbing shoes in the dark or a new fashion trend??

Reg - shoe sizes is another inconsistency which can be confusing. I have to remember that UK8 is US9 is EU42.5. Fortunately my feet size doesn't change but it does keep you on your toes when buying shoes off the internet 
  • Reg has a good point about feet  and stone giving useful integer values for measuring day to day objects. That said, I still wish we’d fully convert to metric and it’s only through habit that I think in minute miles. I am sure that if I switched my garmin and strava to Ks I’d be used to it in a week. As a maths teacher it is painful and ridiculous to have to teach the conversions, especially ludicrous ones like chains, furlongs, leagues, gallons and hundredweights. I mostlsy just don't bother. As a convert to wine, I am even keen to sack off pints. And I have never quite understood why shoe sizes aren’t just measured in cms. Sorry, mathematical rant over.

Rapid intervals, Jon. How much training do you want to do next week? That should dictate which shoes you wear as well as how much of a target race it is.

Fair enough, Spoons. I really like how you think so far ahead and it makes perfect sense. No doubt that is one reason you are making great long term progress.

My only tougher run of the week in advance of Sunday’s half. Descending time intervals with progressive effort. After warm up and drills, 24 mins (6:19m/m), 18 (6:13), 12 (6:12), 6 (6:05), 3 (5:57). 3 minutes recovery jog after each, except only two minutes before the final effort. Ran on HR and feel, so really pleased to see the numerical progression once I’d finished. Had a quick look at the total time before the warm down. Just under a 1:27 half including WU, drills and recoveries – I’ll take that. Bloody windy and a lot of branch based debris. Tried Spoons’ tempo route around the racecourse – a good call. Even sneaked a strava top ten segment from him ;)

• Huge well done Joe - very pleased you had no mechanicals this time! 

Haha, Northender - at what point did you realise you were wearing two different shoes??

I switched from KM to Miles last year - There were too many KMs when training for Ironman, Miles felt more manageable. I can't imagine going back now. 

I had my biggest mileage week ever last week (57), topped by a 20m run where I tried to keep up with the husband for the duration and suffered for it. This week is recovery, thankfully. I'm pacing the Richmond running festival half on Sunday - anyone paced before? Any tips?  

• That's a geat week, JCG and a very solid long run. Looking good for Abo. No tips I'm afraid, but I am down to pace 90 minutes at the Cheltenham Half in a couple of weeks so keen for advice as well.
  • AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭
    I paced 40 minutes at the Great Scottish run 10k a few years back. The one thing i remember was that they kept us in the council chambers right up until 5 mins before the race started giving info/t-shirts/balloons etc. I didn't end up having enough time to get a signal on my garmin and had to pace off the km markers instead which was quite nerve-wracking. So i would say make sure and give yourself plenty of time. Also, better to err on the side of caution when pacing as we all know gps watches aren't always exact.

I want one of those graphs Spoons! Great website too.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    One thing I learnt from the London Marathon was to have a pace band as my GPS was all over the shop with all those stupid buildings.

Shoe sizes are pretty silly all over the world, I think the Koreans do it to the nearest mm. Surely there is a limit to how many different sizes can be offered though. I guess it's easier in Korea as even the biggest male foot is probably about the same as a small child's :D

Nice mileage JCG. Like the shoes NE reminds me of a guy I used to work with who drank a lot and occasionally would turn up with odd shoes on, even different colours once.

Spoons - Pull your finger out and get that top 10 back off SQ, let's have a bit of thread rivalry. Nice run though SQ>

• runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Haha NE I’ve had dreams about picking the wrong shoes like that for a marathon before. How did the race go?

Yes SQ I do like to plan ahead - I have already booked my build-up races for London and put together most of my training plan lol. Great session especially as the conditions weren’t too great out there this morning. I was wondering about the effort levels on those BAC sessions, as except for the MP bits paces aren’t specified on the list I found. Sounds like you got it just right though.

Don’t worry Reg will have to see about getting that Strava segment back… ;) Although I see local GB international runner Jenny Nesbitt is top of the list, neither of us stands a chance against her!

Great mileage JCG. Regarding pacing and GPS inaccuracy, if you have a more recent Garmin watch with ConnectIQ, you can download a clever data field - https://apps.garmin.com/en-GB/apps/6a30651b-ca67-41a5-96dc-60634983fc93 - that will automatically round the distance based on when you press lap when passing mile/km markers. It will even calculate estimated finish time. I’ve used it a few times now and it works well. Or more old school, manually lap at every mile/km marker, and then the “average lap time” field will be a fairly accurate min/mi or min/km value (assuming the markers are correct!).

Just a recovery in the wind this morning for me. I got up a bit later in an attempt to sleep off this head cold, definitely feel better today so hopefully it won’t come of anything.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Nice one NE. Got the job done though.

I don't like how UK shoe size is one number smaller than US sizes (which we use in Oz). Size 7.5 does sound too small for someone 185cm tall. Don't they say something about blokes with small feet?

Great session SQ. Those BAC sessions seem to be going really well for you. Hope it translate to a great marathon (I think it will). Nice work on pipping Spoons on the segment too.

Great mileage JCG. Building nicely. I met a bloke who did 4:30 pacing for the Stockholm marathon years ago. He did his own pace calculations based on 42km, forgetting the other 195m. He only realised near the end when he saw a distance to go marker. He took off and made it home in 4:30, leaving behind all the people running with him. 

Lunchtime run of about 10.5 miles with 3x 2.5km HMP/MP/HMP. Managed ok but the wind made it hard. Expecting a tough session tonight on the racecourse with a worse than usual headwind up the hill. Might be good as I won't get too hung up on hitting a certain pace.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Afternoon all.

Nice choice of footwear NE! How did the race go?

Another belter of a session SQ! Things are looking very good indeed for Abo.

Like wise JCG, Cranking up the miles at just the right time. Very decent long run too.

Good start to your big double day HA. I know you are rapid but you must have a long lunch break. Lucky if I get 15 minutes to eat my sandwich!

Wind causing havoc today for many I see. have we skipped a season? Very odd weather for this time of year...

I was out the door at 4:20 this morning for my own battle with storm Aileen. She was very strong (constant 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph) and certainly far stronger than me today. Was a real battle, of which she had the upper hand throughout. Lots of hurdling of fallen branches and other debris all over the place.

Still, got the 15 miles done which is the main thing I guess but paces all over the place (45 second+ differential when wind behind to headwind) and , typically, last 3 miles straight into it (felt like I was barley moving forward at times!) so overall pace only 6:40s. Glad to finish it and get inside.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Tom - I can pretty much take as long for lunch as I want, often up to 90 min. I'm in the office, working at 6am to beat the traffic in the morning, giving me the extra time to run at lunch.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good arrangement. Have a good session tonight. I might go out again this evening for a few more miles as the wind seems to have eased a fair bit. I fancy having my first ever double day and getting 20+ miles in the bank.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good Tom. We'll have you on the Double Session Wednesday Plan in no time.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    I did a 10km race at the Olympic Park tonight instead of my 7mi LT Run which I dread. I even ran 0.75mi through the finish to get to 7mi with a few odd looks 

Just saw the official results and I did the 10km in 42:03 which is 7s slower than my PB from Bournemouth which feels great considering I wasn't flat out.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    EDIT: that was gun time posted. Chip time was 41:54 so a 2s PB - brilliant!!!