Newbies 2

1803804805806807809»

Comments

• > @LORD_MJ said:
    > I just created an account to post a question, but I can't start my own thread. Really annoyed by this, so I hope that someone can help me out here.

>

> I am following the training plans that I found over here: https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/beginners/how-to-start-running-today

>

> They have served me really well and I'm about to get started with the final plan (Get Faster), but I don't understand the speedwork sessions that happen to Thursday.

>

> The sessions I'm confused about happen on: Week 2, Week 4, Week 6, Week 7 and Week 8.

>

> If someone can explain to me what am I supposed to do, I would be really grateful.

>

> Thank you for reading.

Hi MJ

Speed work is all about getting faster. Let's say you can run 5k in 25 mins. That is 5 mins per K. You want to do it in 24 mins, so you can break down the 5k in to 5 lots of 1k sections (5x1000). Try and do each K in 4mins 40 with a minute or two to recover between reps (active recovery). Each week you can reduce the recovery time until eventually you are doing a 23:40.

You can experiment with different distances- 400m repeats for example to focus on short bursts of power.

Good luck!

Jake
    Jake Fricker (Author of "I am a Runner" and qualified coach)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    5k- 19:03
    10k- 39.28
    HM- 1:28.25
    M- 3:07.59
  • I've just created my account and I've been going around telling people about http://jdpfitness.com/ I have been training with them for six months and already I've had improvements. If you have a marathon coming up or if your just wanting to improve you goals then these guys can seriously help.
  • Hi everyone.

I have recently added running to my exercise routine and am wondering how best to fit it in with my usual weights training. My cardio is very poor and am using a couch to 5k app which I am enjoying so far. My current routine is this:

Day 1: Upper body weight training
    Day 2: Lower body weight training
    Day 3: Upper body weight training
    Day 4: Running

As there are 3 days between each run would this be frequent enough to make any noticeable change in my cardiovascular fitness in the long term?

Thanks in advance :)
  • Simple answer is yes Luke. If you're out of breath climbing the stairs just now then any form of cardio is going to be beneficial. I personally used to do a fair bit of weight training myself and still do try and fit some in as well as running 3 times a week.

But there's a lot of things to factor in. Recovery is a big one. I take it you're intending to have another upper body day immediately after your cardio day?? When do you intend to rest to allow your body to make the adaptations?

You probably need to decide what your priority is first of all and then fit a programme in around that. For example. 4 days weights, 2 days cardio followed by one days rest for example.
  • I am currently not taking any rest days. Just using the lower body day to allow upper body to recover. I think i need to prioritize the running as this is the area i am most lacking in. Thanks for the advice ver useful!
  • Hi All,

Coming from a cycling background I have dabbled with running very occasionally in the past but various little niggles and injuries have usually put pay to any running ambitions. However this time round I am determined to make it stick, and to further commit to it I have started a regular Youtube VLOG following my progress.

So if you'd be interested in watching me make an arse of myself then head over to www.runandseek.co.uk for a bit of a laugh.

I'd also better point out that I'm not selling anything, promoting crap, pyramid selling, asking you to join a cult, and neither am I a rich Prince from Africa with several million locked in an international account. All I ask is that if you're vaguely interested then head to my channel and if you like what you see then please subscribe (it's free!) to follow my journey.

Cheers,

Dave.
  • Hi Everyone,

I've been running for about 3 and a half years now. I'm from Birmingham but I live in Rome, Italy (where they take the whole running thing a bit too seriously if you ask me :P ) I've run 5 Marathons (so far all in Italy but the Birmingham Marathon in October will be my first back home, followed by Manchester next April as my Spring race) and 10 half's. I'm not fast but I love running in different races (something to look forward to other than Summer holidays) and sharing stories. I've got a couple of half's lined up as part of my training for Birmingham. Hopefully things will have fully cooled off by then.

Hope everyone's training is going well for whatever race or goal they are trying to accomplish this Autumn!
    --
    https://bigrunnerslog.wordpress.com
  • Hello (everyone) sooo glad to find this forum... a place to set some intentions?? : )
  • Hi, I don't seem to be able to start a post, not sure if I have to prove myself first or something?! I have a half marathon dilemma that I could really use some advice on!
  • It won't let  you create a new post until you have posted 10 times. You can post your question here... 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AM-RUNNER-marathon-months-training/dp/1520530323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488549043&sr=8-1&keywords=i+am+a+runner

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Newbie with a question !!

Been training for a 10k which is on Sunday. Was feeling strong, did a long slow run Monday night which was actually a pb just under an hour 10k.

But I felt sick during the whole run as if was going to vomit. Thought was just my regular indigestion. Fast forward to Thursday I have stomach inflammation and barely eaten all week. I got medicine and today am managing a little food.

If I can eat plenty tomorrow will I be able to give it a go? What would you do? I am going to try a v short run tomorrow as a test....
  • MrsMcG said:
    Newbie with a question !!

Been training for a 10k which is on Sunday. Was feeling strong, did a long slow run Monday night which was actually a pb just under an hour 10k.

But I felt sick during the whole run as if was going to vomit. Thought was just my regular indigestion. Fast forward to Thursday I have stomach inflammation and barely eaten all week. I got medicine and today am managing a little food.

If I can eat plenty tomorrow will I be able to give it a go? What would you do? I am going to try a v short run tomorrow as a test....
    Hello MrsMcG

My first thought is - there are 10k races all over the place every weekend, so if you are not feeling it, there is no point in pushing yourself and getting ill for longer. There will be other races.

However, if you are feeling better, then go for it. Get some good carbs in tomorrow and before the race. If you are going to run it in an hour you won't need a lot of energy stores. Just make sure you are well hydrated. For half marathon and longer you need to carb load for a couple of days before, but for 10k you will be fine.

You know your own body best- if you regularly feel sick when running you need to look at extending the time you eat before you run and the type of foods you eat. Stay away from too my Fibre on the morning of the race to stop you feeling heavy and bloated. 

Good luck and let us know how it goes... 

Jake 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • Thanks Jake - still decidedly unwell so will see how tomorrow is !! 
  • Hello All! 

Newbie here. Just saying Hello. I have been running for the last 6 months. Slowly. I have gone from weighing 14st 13lb to 13st 4lb. Happy with progress. Started with half a mile and did my longest run last week on my slow run day. 10 miles! It took me 1 hour and 40mins but I'm not really bothered about time at the moment. I got around without stopping which I feel is a huge achievement for me. I did get some pain under my left ankle. Small ball type swelling which I have self diagnosed as PF. I have an appointment with the physio in a few days. I'm not going to stop running though. I am foam rolling, icing and stretching which seems to have helped. Rested for about 4 days and had a game of football today after which my ankle felt fine so thinking of doing a slow 5k tmorrow to see how ankle feels. I have signed up for 2 10ks in October really dont want to pull out! (Leeds abbey dash 10k and Bradford City runs ) Anyway apologies for the long introduction. I'm happy to be on this forum. Thanks in advance for any replies! Peace :smile:
  • Hello All! 

Newbie here. Just saying Hello. I have been running for the last 6 months. Slowly. I have gone from weighing 14st 13lb to 13st 4lb. Happy with progress. Started with half a mile and did my longest run last week on my slow run day. 10 miles! It took me 1 hour and 40mins but I'm not really bothered about time at the moment. I got around without stopping which I feel is a huge achievement for me. I did get some pain under my left ankle. Small ball type swelling which I have self diagnosed as PF. I have an appointment with the physio in a few days. I'm not going to stop running though. I am foam rolling, icing and stretching which seems to have helped. Rested for about 4 days and had a game of football today after which my ankle felt fine so thinking of doing a slow 5k tmorrow to see how ankle feels. I have signed up for 2 10ks in October really dont want to pull out! (Leeds abbey dash 10k and Bradford City runs ) Anyway apologies for the long introduction. I'm happy to be on this forum. Thanks in advance for any replies! Peace :smile:
    Sounds like you are doing the right things... RICEN... Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate, NSAIDS (Ibruprofen). PF can be helped with a golf ball rubbed on sole of foot. 

Keep up the good work and try not to over train and get yourself laid up for a longer spell... 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28
  • MrsMcG said:
    Thanks Jake - still decidedly unwell so will see how tomorrow is !! 
    How did it go? 

PB’s
    10k- 39.28