P&D Autumn Marathon 2017

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Phil - Glad the niggles are under control now. That will still be some decent mileage with the bike on top.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    HA77 said:

Maybe I just need to smoke a bit of weed and chill.
    Couldn't find this in the book but sounds like the best bit of training advice I have heard on here for a while! ;)
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Brilliant PB RSR - I could see it coming a mile off from your training runs, but you've still got to run the race. Similarly yours too SQ, almost exactly what I predicted - and that was without me knowing much about the course. No need to cross fingers for the marathon now you've got a lucky horseshoe.

Millsy - I tend to break my races up into 18 metre chunks  :o

Ace PB Jooligan. You're a braver man than me, running 17.5 miles then hurtling 10k down a mountain.

Good that you stopped when it was minor PM and seem to be recovered. My preferred vehicle when injured is the elliptical, can't contemplate hours in the saddle.

Honourable mention to JCG for excellent services to the running community. I have paced parkrun and quite liked it. I suppose the only pressure I felt was at the end when many raced off ahead of me. I wasn't sure whether my job was done or whether I needed to drag a few stragglers along with me. People are just not that communicative at that stage of a 5k !

Good luck HA and Reg in their respective endeavours - both exhibiting some pent up tapering anxiety I see. I've a half on Sunday too. Not sure whether to stick or twist, probably twist if conditions look good, but will be running it off a fairly full week of training (by my standards anyway). Managed a couple of hill sessions in the past few days and my usual heart rate controlled run/route, which came out faster than ever.

• I missed your HM result in the excitement of Sunday JohnOz. Great time and well done for hanging on after a fast start. I’m looking forward to watching Berlin too, in addition to HA’s link Letsrun.com is always worth checking, they usually have good coverage info: http://www.letsrun.com/events/2017-berlin-marathon-bmw-berlin-marathon/

Great work on the pacing JCG, sounds like it was hard work! I’ve not really thought about marathon targets yet - one step at a time - but as John says something below 2:50 at London definitely looks like a possibility. 

Well done again on the HM SQ.

Great work on the 50 miler Millsy.

Thanks Macca. I am already signed up to a few 10Ks including Telford which is supposed to be fast and has a competitive field, so I definitely fancy having a few weeks of speedier training after the GSR and maybe have a crack at sub-36.

Cheers Muddy, good luck for your half.

It’s hard but try not to overthink things HA. Good luck, I’m sure you’ll smash it.

I’ve written up a race report and a few thoughts on the rest of my running year on my blog if anyone is interested: https://run.spoon.run/worcester-city-10k-2017/

My legs felt a bit flat on the 12 miles along the canal this morning. To be expected really, infact if they didn’t I’d probably be annoyed I maybe hadn’t pushed hard enough on Sunday! It reinforces my decision to push the track session to Saturday though. I had a minor panic last night when an area of my ankle felt a bit sore and tender when pushed, but it seems fine today so hopefully nothing to worry about.

• I think I forgot to say well done to SQ on the HM, great result. You and Spoons appear to be the big improvers of the year so far.

Final session at home today. 2.5k swim (outdoor pool) this morning in the lovely sunshine, for the first time ever I wanted to carry on but it's taper time so stopped.

Then went out on the bike for a short 40 minute ride and a 4 mile run. Both felt pretty good apart from the saddle sores!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    I also appear to have missed out on SQ's excellent result in the HM. Excellent stuff, well done.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Oh and Millsy with another epic 50 miler-superb!
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    HA and Reg- both of you have had a fantastic build ups and are clearly in great shape so are highly likely to hit those targets you have posted.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Nothing much of note here. An easy 7 yesterday and a steady 11 first thing this morning. The lovely weather continues-a real nip in the air at 4:30 with gloves the order of the day-so much happier running in these conditions!
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Reg. Really hope things go well and you have a great race.
  • Good luck Reg.

Tom - are you trying 
  • to get your post-count
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Good luck Reg! I had a bit of extra time this morning so had a slightly longer run. Having being inspired by NE's recent exploits (excellent run at the weekend) I decided to have a crack at MP and it went quite well. 17 miles with 14 @ MP coming out at 6:07s average m/m.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Reg: good luck with the tri - hope it all goes to plan!

Tom: impressive MP run. Shows you what kind of shape you are in!

6.5mi with a few strides at lunch today. Legs are feeling really good after a sports massage yesterday. I'm looking forward to racing again this weekend with the Solent Half Marathon on Sunday. My 7mi LT run was 6:50/mi avg which indicates about 1:31 to 1:32 for the HM. Tempting as it is to shoot for sub 1:30 I think it might be too much of a stretch.
  • Jooligan – the 7M descent from Pen-y-Pass can wreck a lot of people’s races. Quads destroyed! That said, it is great fun to run a few sub 6 min miles in a row in a marathon.

Pleased to hear the calf is improving, Philip. Mine is grumbling…

Solid tempo, HA. Best of luck for Windsor – really hope it is a good hit out for you. Either way, it’ll be informative for Abo. Good option with the chilling as well.

Enjoyed the race report, Spoons. Not entirely surprised you were a bit flat yesterday, even after 15M of recovery on Monday J. Pleased the MLR went well today. Rapid!

Best of luck, Reg. Hope the travelling is going well.

Great MPing, Tom. I’ve forgotten your target for Abo, but look forward to seeing you at the finish once (once you’ve had a shower, changed and had a beer…).

Best of luck with the half, AWC.

At the risk of boring those who follow me on Strava, I had a beast of a session today. It was the biggest and hardest of all the Steve Way BAC sessions. WU, 23 mins MP effort (6:26), 6 x 4mins hard (5:50 with wind, 6:07 against), 23 mins MP effort (6:30), WD. Really happy with the times, especially given the wind and Sunday’s hard race. I’ll take 16 and a bit miles before work, and the incredible and long lasting feeling of smugness at work. I’ve been really enjoying the progression of these sessions. And whilst I felt relatively comfortable in the second MP section, thank god that is the peak. Still some hard tempo sandwiches coming up, but nothing like today.

Worryingly, left calf and hamstring very tight later in the day so did lots of rolling on it. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

• AWC: How hard did the 7M LT run feel? Could you have kept it up for another 41 minutes? on fresher legs & with race adrenaline? I'd go for it unless 1:32 would be a PB in which case secure that & target sub 90 next time.
    Tom: Tidy LR that. Presume that's 6:07 for the whole 17M? What is MP for you at the moment?
    Seen some cracking sessions on Strava today not least yours SQ. Very impressive.
    I'll not be blasting sub 6s down from Pen-y-Pass, though I did do a couple of miles at 10K PB pace, just hoping I can avoid the death march I suffered for miles 25 & 26 last time. The climb in miles 23 & 24 left me feeling sick & then the grassy riverine descent was too much for me. Looking back I see I was only averaging 30mpw & peaked at 43M in the 10 weeks before (after 3 weeks of 60+)
    This year I have averaged 40mpw for 12.5 wks & the last 2 weeks have been 60+ so I should have a better endurance base.
    Just my hilly 10K for me this evening. Pleased with how spritely my legs felt after a proper track blast last night. Did 10x 90s hard/60s jog. Hard was meant to be 10K pace but I was doing them at about 5K PB pace (which is my SB mile pace). Was struggling on the final effort but still managed a full lap.
  • I'm glad to be an inspiration to Tom.  The lad would be absolutely nothing without me, you know.

Good luck with the race Reg... and with the leg SQ.

AWC... wow, you definitely got your pace back - enjoy your race (what's your pb?).  I'm doing the Ealing Half with a group of old uni friends this weekend... 2 weeks before Chester.  Not decided what to aim for yet - given my unorthodox training.   I guess I'll go a bit harder than I should, so as to run with one of the lads who's over from Scandinavia for the race.  He's going to try to break 1:45...   I'll think I'll enjoy running it with him, even though that would be another 13 mile MP run.  

• Sounds fun NE. Best of luck pacing your mate.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    AWC - I'd be going for 1:30. What's to lose? Just back off the last few miles if it's too much. It'll be a great training run either way.

SQ - Great session. Sounds like a real tough one. Hope the niggles straighten themselves out.

Tom - Nice LR

Jools - Sounds like you're going well. Good to see.

Did a scaled back Mona Fartlek yesterday and just an easy on perhaps with a few strides today.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Jools/NE/HA: PB is 1:30:28 so it's very close. If I'd done the 7mi LT run alone I'd be more confident but I did it during a 10km race with a bit tacked on at the end. There was some in the tank at the end because I beat my 10km PB by 2s and I realised I could have smashed it if I was actually racing flat out. Was there enough for another 6 miles - good question!

might be worth a punt at it as you say HA because worst case I just slow down a wee bit at the end. And it's not like it'll adversely impact Abingdon. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

That's the spirit AWC-worth a punt! Will still be a great training run if you have to back off towards the finish.

SQ-Another great session-don't think you will be that far away from me at Abo.

Jools-certainly looks like you are coming into good form. Excellent stuff! Current MP is 6:10s as from London.

An easy 6 is all for me today. 
  • Morning all

Jooligan you’ve definitely got to hold a bit back for the final brutal ascent. I managed to run the whole thing two years ag, but had to do a lot of walking last year. That said, I was 10 minutes quicker last year! Nice track session.

I reckon 13M MP two weeks out wouldn’t be too disastrous, NE.

Good ticking over with the 90% fartlek, HA. Best of luck at the weekend.

AWC a flat out half two weeks from a marathon would probably, for me, impact the marathon. But not by much, I reckon. If you were careful with recovery etc I reckon it’s doable.

Tom that 6:10 MP look ripe for tearing apart!

Easy 4M for me this morning. Attempted to tape the hammy and calf last night, it was already coming loose this morning. Felt a little stiff, but pace and effort all ok. Will roll again tonight.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    SQ: the marathon (Abingdon) is 4 weeks away so hopefully I should be recovered by then
  • Wow we seem to be hitting the peak sessions, there is some great running all round. 

SQ - huge session and really good consistent pacing. 
    AWC - good luck on the HM, I think you'll surprise yourself with a sub 90!
    Tom - cracking pace for 14@MP
    NE - you must be in top form to not think twice about another 13@MP
    Jooligan - great way to back up from your 10k PB
    Spoons - impressed at the pace of your MLR and so soon after your 10k PB as well
    HA77, Muddy and Reg - good luck at the weekend. 

Couple of decent days for me after recovering from the HM. 6x1200m in 4:23-4-29, bit slower than last year but with an extra rep. Today felt good enough to speed up on the MLR and get to just below MP, so pretty happy with how this week has gone. Last 22 miler coming up and debating whether to go for time on feet or progressively speeding up with a fast finish. What do others do for their last big run?

• I'm a bit jealous of all you guys with a big race near. I have been looking for a shorter term targets (next spring is a LONG way away) and quite fancy a go at the Wolverton 5 which is quick course with a very strong field. I would like a sub 26 if possible. In light if this I did 5 half mile intervals at 5.07 ish pace yesterday. It was the first intervals I've done in ages and recon in 9 weeks it might be sustainable. 
  • runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Great MP run Tom, sounds like last week was just a little blip and you’re in great shape.

I agree with the others AWC, 1:30 might be worth a go if conditions are good and you feel up for it on the day.

Another cracking session SQ, hope the leg is ok.

Nice speed on that track session Jooligan.

Good luck for the half NE.

Top session JohnOz.

Speedy intervals Philip.

I’ve been very much taking this week as it comes, as I’m aware that at this stage pushing too hard will likely do more harm than good. After my flat run on Tuesday I dropped the planned S&C session, and instead just did a bit of yoga. My legs felt much better yesterday, still tired but more springy, and I averaged 6:52/mi for my 15 mile MLR. As Jooligan pointed out, that’s 3 hour MP and a pace that at the start of this year I had to work much harder to hold for 10 miles. So very happy with that.

I kept today’s run along the canal at an easier pace, averaged 7:25/mi despite breezy conditions. Will take tomorrow very easy ready for the final track session of the plan on Saturday.

• I think you should go for it AWC - 4 weeks is plenty time to recover. 

Well done on the tough session SQ, sounds like a killer.

Enjoy your half NE, interested to hear what you end up doing two weeks out. I've also signed up to a half two weeks before Abingdon. I know I need to take it easy, but not sure just how easy. 

I managed to mess up the route on my already long MLR and add another mile and a bit this week for 15 something miles. It was a great run though and felt good - my recovery week last week did it's job.

My copy of the guiness world records book arrived today - Joe and I have made it in there, photos and all. 
  • dctdct ✭✭✭
    Hello. Trust you're all well. I'm not going to read back, but if anyone wants an Abo place let me know and I can transfer my place over (sorry for the short notice). Not racing due to injuries, babies, zzzz, etc. Thought I'd check here before contacting organisers.
  • Well done on making the Guiness book JCG and Joe!

I just watched the National Geographic documentary on the Breaking2 attempt: https://youtu.be/V2ZLG-Fij_4, which I thought was really good. Light on Nike hype, and lots of interesting stuff on the background of the runners, seeing them train in their home towns, etc. The kind of thing we should be seeing in the coverage of big marathons to give a face and personality to the runners! I particularly loved that Kipchoge had his medals hanging up in the kitchen :D. He seems like a very cool guy. Really looking forward to seeing what he does in Berlin on Sunday.