Am I past my best?!

I'm close to 42, and I've been running regularly for the last 7+ years. I've run 16 marathons, Spring and Autumn each year and adding a couple of extra in here and there. Number 17 is in 3 weeks. I've always trained hard each time (500+ miles).

My pb's were recorded in 2015, marathon 3:13 and half at the GNR in 1:27, but since then I've slowed down significantly. My legs just feel dead. Previously I gave myself a week off after each marathon but this time I gave myself a couple of months off after London in April (3:46) and I've stripped my training dramatically back since then, started crossfit to mix things up, but my legs still just feel dead/heavy each time I run, even from the start of a short run. I ran 20 in training today in 3:06, the same as last weekend, and I felt destroyed at the end.

Anyone got any views or experienced anything similar? Is age/mileage just catching up on me? Or is there a solution? Would massage help perhaps?
Tagged:

Comments

• Its probably your training thats at fault, maybe too much running, not enough other stuff.

We're all different so I won't advise you in specifics but I was roughly in your position in about 97 or 8, trying to break 3 hours but failing. I'd tried upping my mileage and just ended up, like you, knackered, and could only just get under 3 1/2.

So in 99 I changed tack, swapped quantity for quality, and ended up doing, per week, 1 2hour circuit, 3 weight sessions, 1 speed work session, 1 hill rep session and 1 long slow run, so in any week I never really ran more then 30miles.

That year I ran a 3:03 aged 50, so close, and an easy run. Next year same plan but blistered badly and from then its been downhill ever since.

So, at your age, it can still be done, you just need to adjust your training to whatever suits you best. What that is you probably won't get from a forum, you might need a proper trainer/training plan.

• Thanks senidM, that's useful.

i think you're right, more general variety and more quality running sessions needed. I've found the crossfit sessions over the last 2 months really good, physically I've probably never been in better shape but it's not translating into better running times. I suspect I haven't found the right balance yet, and probably need to allow my body to adjust to the different stimulus.

its just frustrating when you work hard and see diminishing returns. I'm toying with the idea of ditching the usual spring marathon, but I just get sucked in each time, fearing that if I don't keep it up then i might never summon the self discipline to do another!
  • Hi. No real advice but at 42 years young it shouldn't be age. Agree that as you get older you need to be more careful re quality v quantity and right recovery (main change I noticed is you have to respect the recovery and listen to your body; slow down the slow runs; and not blindly follow the schedule). At 57 I've now had 5 consecutive years of improving times.. and scarily been running for 37 years.
  • I'd think about getting your iron levels checked too if you haven't.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    It sounds like some sort of chronic fatigue rather than to do with your training per se.  Agree with Little M.iss, it would certainly be a good idea to get some blood tests done.  Any trouble with your breathing?  You need to check out you don't have something like asthma which can have a tiring effect.

I started running at 37, did my first marathon at 38 (3:58) but it was not until my 26th marathon at 48 that I did my PB (3:35).

You can rule out age.
  • Maybe a proper rest, as in weeks of doing something else or nothing at all and try and let your body recover?
  • Thank you guys, really appreciate the feedback, and reassuring to know that it's perhaps fatigue more than it is age!

It might be my iron levels, I'll get it checked out, but my general energy for everything else in life feels pretty good.

The tiredness seems to be solely limited to my legs. They feel heavy, there's no spring in my knees. Maybe I need to see a physio after I've got this marathon out of the way. The demoralising part at the moment is that there seems little benefit in training, or running on consecutive days, it doesn't seem to bring any noticeable improvement and is actually counterproductive. I just can't get close to the paces that came (almost!) effortlessly in training only 2 years ago.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Don't run on consecutive days!  But keep some low intensity running going.  Try to find interesting or scenic routes rather than endless tarmac, such as canal towpaths or cycle routes (if not outright trails).
  • Jimbo76Jimbo76 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, I thought I would report back.

I saw a physio this week and he confirmed I don't have any obvious damage to my joints which is great news.

He felt my trainers, Brooks Adrenalines, are probably a bit too structured - if anyone has any suggestions for a step down it would be appreciated.

The initial advice was to drink less caffeine and replace it with at least 2 litres of water, basically I'm dehydrated.

Also, eat more healthily, get more sleep and relaxation, stretch, and not to run or crossfit on consecutive days. All common sense stuff, some already mentioned above, but I've reflected on these factors and I can see plenty of scope for improvement.

If I don't see improvements then he suggests a trip to the doctors and a blood test for diabetes but he thinks that is probably unlikely.

Fingers crossed, I've got the Amsterdam marathon on Sunday!