Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Inspirational talk Pug & Jooligan!  I will pass your advice onto the young man (well, a V40).  I can see you finishing in the water at Loch Ness Pug  :)  Ta to everyone else for their input too.
  • It's been mooted before Pug. :p
  • In week 1 of the 3 week taper and looking to do 60 miles this week and slightly obsessing with the detail/ marginal gains. For this Sundays run I was thinking of 15 miles with 8 of those slightly faster than mp at 6.15 mm. What's peoples thoughts on this. Normally I would try and run a fast hm but need to take son#1 to University. 

• OuchOuch said:
    In week 1 of the 3 week taper and looking to do 60 miles this week and slightly obsessing with the detail/ marginal gains. For this Sundays run I was thinking of 15 miles with 8 of those slightly faster than mp at 6.15 mm. What's peoples thoughts on this. Normally I would try and run a fast hm but need to take son#1 to University. 

Yep I'd go with that and like you, I'd normally do a half marathon as a time trial but lacking that, I reckon that's a good option.
  • 1:23 seems plenty for a sub-3 for me even with the lowish mileage, but it depends slightly on the make-up of the 40-50 mpw. If he's done a good number of long and medium-long runs it should be doable. I would aim for HW in 90:xx mins which should seem very easy and then pick it up if possible from 20M. If he can't pick it up then it was never going to happen but he shouldn't explode too badly.

Wardi - I'm sure there is lots of carbon fibre I could buy for the buggy, and potentially disc wheels...

CD - good point about the TUE. I expect his dosage is low enough not to need one though?

Done some reasonable training this week with some track work on Tuesday and a relatively hard lunchtime run yesterday (21 minutes out, turned around and ran back in just under 19 mins, and I think it was about 5k each way). Probably won't get much training done over the weekend as we're very busy (doing fun things like a birthday party, going out for lunch with people etc.).

I've now got a 10k next weekend - Mrs Padams had entered it but has been injured for a couple of weeks. They allow transfers and I couldn't think of a good excuse not to run - not particularly looking forward to it!
  • Pugheaven™Pugheaven™ ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Well 10.4 miles of walking with the missus around lochness. Lovely day out and trying to keep loose. Will be travelling to Inverness tomorrow morning to pick up number and have a wander around. Getting a little nervous about this especiallly with the course... thinking 3.15 might well be too bigger ask... then I thought stop being a big girl... I'll decide whether to be a girl or a man on Sunday morning. Hope anyone racing this weekend has a cracker!!!
  • I got my first GFA at Loch Ness Pug - it's not a bad course but you do need to pace yourself with the downhill start and the hill at about mile 21 (I think).
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH- Yep it's 21 mile is the killer... Yeah God knows never ran a course like this one... and need to be careful and careful is not normally me lol
  • At the time the first mile of LN was the fastest mile I'd ever run:-) The hill wasn't as bad as I'd been led to expect and I'm a flatlander who hates hills, it was more of long drag.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    All the best Pug, I reckon you should get round between 3.10 & 4.10 so nothing to lose
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    .. Oh and stay off your feet tomorrow, though I'm sure you are sensible enough to know that.  :)
  • Good luck to LMH and Pug for tomorrow's marathons.  Dont be you know.
  • Robin Hood Marathon (cut and pasted from the DTT) it was a warm morning and not a flat, fast course, 136m gain (which for a flatlander like me is a lot) and most of that in the first six miles then between miles 15 to 18 we had bits of trail, some of it quite muddy and twisty turny and even sections of grass. Quite lonely once the half and full marathon split and I was running on my own into the wind (which whilst not high was picking up as the day progressed and was noticeable) I had to 'do a Paula' in  mile 16 - none of which helped however I manged a PB finishing in 2.55.38 by my Garmin and second woman so I have to be happy with that. I'm sure there is more to come on a better course if I can stay well and sound. Would dearly like to see if I can get a late entry for Abingdon but Mark thinks that he may have to work that weekend and I couldn't do the journey on my own so I guess I'll have to wait for London.
  • Well done LMH thats a great time and even better considering things didn't quite go exactly to plan and a tricky sounding course.  Sounds like you could shave sometime of that as well.  Recover well now and surely you must have a tilt at Abingdon with the form you are in - Ride the Wave.

• I think it's probably to late to get an entry OuchOuch but even if it isn't if Mark can't drive me I can't do it.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Fantastic achievement to score a PB on a less than perfect day/course LMH, very pleased for you.  One highly recommended marathon between now and VLM would be Seville in Feb - flat and fast apparently and a good city to visit if you want to make a mini holiday of it.
  • Thanks Wardi. It's a bit now or then though, I'm not going to even try to stay in this shape, need a mental and physical break before my London campaign. I would have liked to just recover between now and Abingdon and see what I could do - though as I'll be carrying extra weight from two weeks in Florida I may have been disappointed!
  • Congratulations, LMH!  So delighted for you, as you deserved a good race and a PB.  It's a pity there weren't more people to share the work with (and you can knock a bit off for the pitstop!), so something in the low 2.50s must be there for the taking come London - fingers crossed I'll be able to keep up with you!  Abingdon is pretty near Didcot Parkway station and there are buses, so it's a possibility if you can get to Didcot by train, but I think there's usually quite a waiting list which could be your real problem.

Midlands Road Relays for me on Saturday, and managed the 4.3km course @ 6.22m/m (sorry to mix my units): 17.03 is 40s slower than my best on that course, so I'm slowly catching up fitness.  At least I've now done a race faster than marathon pb pace, even if half marathon pb pace is still reserved for speedwork...  16M yesterday afternoon and hadn't fuelled properly so the last few miles were a bit ugly.  Still, another 50M week chalked up and I have finally managed to string together 5 weeks of proper training without getting ill or injured, so fingers crossed the comeback can continue 
  • Pugheaven™Pugheaven™ ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Well I finished Lochness... in... 03:23:00 with a pace of 07:45 m/m. 173rd out of around 2617 finishers.

Well, here we are and here's the summary. This was the end of my 18th week back training... so, wasn't expecting fireworks... however I'd kinda set myself a plan A and plan B...

Decided to try for 3.15 (Plan B) even though I knew after driving on the Saturday it is a tough course and not my kind of course at all. I do suffer on anything that knocks me out of my rhythm. However, went through half way in 1:37:03 (7.24 m/m) so was smack on where I wanted to be. However incredibly hard to pace due to the undulations and you can see from the below splits how they're all over the place

Split Summary
    ===
    1) 1m - 6:50(6:50/m)
    2) 1m - 7:13(7:13/m)
    3) 1m - 7:19(7:19/m)
    4) 1m - 7:18(7:18/m)
    5) 1m - 7:38(7:38/m)
    6) 1m - 7:35(7:36/m)
    7) 1m - 7:19(7:19/m)
    8) 1m - 7:35(7:35/m)
    9) 1m - 7:20(7:20/m)
    10) 1m - 7:25(7:25/m)
    11) 1m - 7:34(7:34/m)
    12) 1m - 7:31(7:31/m)
    13) 1m - 7:32(7:32/m)
    14) 1m - 7:26(7:27/m)
    15) 1m - 7:31(7:31/m)
    16) 1m - 7:25(7:25/m)
    17) 1m - 7:27(7:27/m)
    18) 1m - 7:24(7:24/m)
    19) 1m - 8:19(8:19/m) BOOM
    20) 1m - 9:14(9:14/m)
    21) 1m - 7:47(7:47/m)
    22) 1m - 8:31(8:31/m)
    23) 1m - 7:58(7:59/m)
    24) 1m - 8:29(8:29/m)
    25) 1m - 8:50(8:50/m)
    26) 1m - 8:10(8:10/m)
    27) 0.31m - 2:19(7:34/m)

Even though, there's alot of descent, in theory this should be mega fast course as it finishes lower than it starts... Ascent 351m and Descent 649m....

Went out really easy and didn't get carried away. Went past the missus at 6.5 and felt easy even after the couple of climbs at 5 and 6 mile. My breathing and heart rate were all good and it felt like I was out for a jog. This continued and started feeling easier as the race went on. Went through half way pretty much bang on where I wanted to be and from 8-13 passed quite a few who's gone off way too quickly.

From 13 mile onwards dug in and found a nice little pace that felt comfortable and all was good. People just started coming back to me faster and faster and probably took around 10-15 people over the next 4-5 mile.

Then, 18 mile... from 18 it's a smaller climb into the Dores village/outother side and then it's the killer hill going from 18.5 up to around 20 mile and quite frankly this killed me off... cadence dropped through the floor and had to walk near the top so lost at least a minute throw walking. Head just got messed up here... then I got going again.... but once into the 22nd mile, legs had gone... and now it was damage limitation... and moved to Plan B which was in my head around 3.21...

The last 4 mile were very hard... heart and lungs still not too bad but nothing left in the legs I'm afaid... which was a shame... and a possibly just lack of miles...

So, Pro's and Con's....

Pro:
    1). I Managed to complete my first target marathon of this comeback.
    2). I didn't give in apart from at the top of the hill and walked for a minute to get head together
    3). Happy to know that if that was flat course I'd have managed 3.15 quite easily.

Cons:
    1). Left Glute is shattered as are legs now.
    2). Hamstrings and Glutes still very weak and were plaguing me all througth the race.
    3). Died too much on the hill at 19 mile... thought I'd be alright here so lacking strength.
    4). Lacking speed stamina... badly over longer distances.
    5). Still way too heavy but that can be fixed.

So, am I happy? Yes... overall, made up really as I knew it would be hard... time to target Amsterdam in 3 weeks... but need to sort this glute and hamstrings.

• LMH - that sounds like a great run on that course and it was fairly warm yesterday morning. Enjoy the break a bit of a rest, although knowing you you'll struggle to rest too much!

Jools - good effort in the relays. Did you have a decent team out?

Pug - sounds like a tough run but I still think you should be pretty pleased with that considering where you started from 18 weeks ago.

Managed to fit in 15.5M on Saturday morning - had to drop the car to a garage for service and figured I could run back with a parkrun on the way home. So 3M to the parkrun (6:5x pace), parkrun in 16:59 (was over a minute ahead of 2nd place so just a time trial on a reasonably fast course), then 9.5M home all in 6:35-6:55. My legs felt terrible straight after the parkrun and wondered how I was going to get home, but felt good a couple of miles later. Pleased to get that done as it was my longest run for several months, and putting a hardish 5k in the middle always seems like good training, particularly as I didn't eat/drink at all.

Only downside was the 5k felt harder than it should have. I felt really tight for the first mile or so and gradually got quicker as I loosened up. Maybe this is just what happens when you get old! I'll need to do a decent warm-up before the 10k on Sunday.
  • Oh, and I saw Marders had a pretty decent run at Berlin considering I think he was injured a few months ago so had a shortened build-up.
  • LMH - great result in Nottingham, congratulations on a PB on what sounds like not that fast a course and 2nd place - any decent prizes?

Pug - excellent comeback @ Loch Ness, I'm sure the improvements will keep coming at a rapid rate.

Jools - nice relaying, glad to see the pace is coming back.

Padams - always feels harder when you have to run on your own, I'm sure if you had company it would've been different. Where is the 10km this weekend?

2 weeks since IM Wales and I've been doing far too much activity although most of it unstructured. Was away in the Italian lakes this week, managed to coerce the girlfriend to cycle a loop of Lake Garda (85 miles), and when we finished she couldn't resist tacking on another 15 to make the 100 (her previously longest ever ride was 55 miles so this was a slight stretch..) Did lots of hiking and running also as she's been on an 18 week build to Amsterdam in 3 weeks time. Managed a 1st place finish at Milan parkrun on Saturday, although 18.30 odd felt much harder than it should have. 

Copious amounts of pizza and ice cream means I've put on a few pounds since Wales, I've now got Amsterdam in 3 weeks and then Valencia in November (sounds like they'll be a few of us), so I need to decided how I'm going to approach those - I'm sure I'll probably just give them a crack off IM fitness. 

Pacing for Xempo on Sunday @ the Kingston half so hopefully will bump into DanA unless he's got one of his minions doing the work for him. 
  • Thanks Joolska - it was pretty lonely after about fourteen miles. Great to hear that things are still heading in the right direction for you. I'd need to overnight to manage on the trains to Abingdon I'm afraid.

Pug - nice photo! Good assessment of where you are and what you need to do to get to where you want to be.

Padams - nice long run. Just the four miles for me this morning:-)

Joe - sounds as though had a good break and that your gf is going to be racing long with you next year! Now how about that IMW blog?

• LMH: congrats on the PB, especially with all the non-optimal aspects!

Jools: good one in the relays, glad to hear you're getting fitter.

Pug: a major signpost on the comeback trail!

Well parkwon, Padams.

I'm now two weeks out from Chester and have started tangibly tapering. As we were away for the weekend I brought my long run forward to Sat, and skipped Friday as I wanted to have freshish legs for my traditional T-2 week reps/tempo session, which I use as a bit of a fitness assessment. And it went encouragingly well (a total of 10.5 miles speed at paces from 5:32 to 5:57/M from memory, so all faster than MP). I extended that to make it my last full training marathon (honest guv) in 2:54. Rest again yesterday, overdressed plodding around today as my last bit of heat training; I want to get a bit more quality in mid-week, then do my final MP trial on Sat or Sun. If I can just avoid the lurgies going round, I just might have a good one...
  • Ah well, found a place and a driver but entries secretary says that transfer window closed yesterday so I guess that's that, no Abingdon for me:-(

I shall just have to get fat and unfit in Florida:-)
  • Joe - a fairly local one for me, the Standalone 10k near Hitchin. Sounds like you had a nice break in Italy. Well done to your other half for the 100M ride, impressive increase over her previous longest! Probably a bit more enjoyable around there than slogging round bumpy UK roads in drizzle.

CW - "started tangibly tapering" and "last full training marathon in 2:54" with 10.5M of it under 6m/m shouldn't really be in the same paragraph for me! Easy for you though I expect - you must have done literally hundreds of marathons by now if you include your training runs!
  • Awesome LMH!!! Congrats on the pb!!! :) Definitely sounds like more to come too!

Pug - it's a good marker, so well done. Bit of work to make your own scale though ;)

I hope you got away on your break Wardi? Sounds like a solid 10m!

Sounds like you're putting together some good training Padams!

More good progress Jools! Great stuff!

I have finally, after a rather long time of searching, found my mojo again. 
    Went out Friday not expecting much (major IBS flare-up last week), but hoping for something longer and easy. Ended up doing 20m (70:33/66:34 splits) feeling like I was absolutely cruising. Turned up to parkrun on Saturday and ran 16:30 there (with some hillsprints afterwards), before taking the win in a local 10k with some big climbs in 34:34 yesterday (reckon that was about a 34-flat). Didn't do any harm having my personal cheerleader marshalling on both occasions (she's currently injured and can't run herself unfortunately).
    Back out for a primarily easy 12 today (though miles 9-11 were a steady 6:17) tired legs but again very cruisey.

• Wow TT - that's some great running.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    LMH - great PB; you never know when the next one will be, so worth celebrating.  Bit mean of the Abo secretary to not bend the rules a bit.

Pug - good to see it hasn't damaged your enthusiasm.  Keep on keeping on.

CW/TT / Padams - good training / fast running going on.

Joe - yes, I'll be there on Sunday.  I only live a mile from Kingston town centre so easy for me to get to that one.  I might have a run as my 1h25 pacer has broken his foot.  Will do a long run on Saturday (about 23 miles) then decide on Sunday morning if I fancy it.

Knocking out regular 70-80+ mile weeks.  Will be doing the Manchester half in a few weeks to test the state of things, then Abo the week after, before setting a plan for Valencia.