Nice Knowing You...

http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/important-news

Maybe the .co.uk team have the power to keep this going but after the disastrous switch to the new site and what felt like a massive decline in posts/posters this year can we be far behind?
Tagged:

Comments

• Given the disastrous impact the switch to this site has had, makes you wonder if they wanted to drive us all away so they could close the forum. For me, FB is not a viable alternative cos it's almost impossible to maintain a long term discussion without it being lost in a multidue of other conversations :-(
  • That is Shit. I love this forum and do not want to have to go on Facebook to discuss all things running. FFS, indeed.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Are they not talking about a different forum i.e. not this one but : <a rel="nofollow" href="http://community.runnersworld.com/">http://community.runnersworld.com/</a>
  • That's right. It's the American one but as I said above, the way things have declined around here it wouldnt be a massive suprise if we were next would it?

• Ah get you now...

I don't do FB and wouldn't start just for the sake of discussing running.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    How frustrating :(  As you said, the number of posts has dropped off massively, with a lot of the old regulars not posting.  It's a shame, as although the new forum took a bit of getting used to and it's by no means perfect, it's not actually that bad now.  There are loads of running Facebook groups, but I still prefer it on here.
  • Unfortunately, the new format seems to have pretty much killed the Forum.

It felt to me that everyone hated the new functionality, couldn't work out how stuff worked and gave up en masse shortly after it went live. 

On the rare occasions I pop in now I get pages that "slip", resulting in extra scrolling, and loads of posters that all have the standard "Miffy" face so I can't tell one from another. Why I don't know - maybe avatars are harder to upload than they used to be.

The standard font's too small and the discontinuing of "hot threads" and "new discussions" means you don't really know where people are posting at the time or what they are talking about.

It's like shouting messages across a river in the dark and hoping someone on the other side is listening.

• Looks like whoever started this thread jumped the gun (w*nker),

I have just heard back from RW Towers:

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch. There are no plans to close the UK forum, so it’ll carry on as usual.

Kind regards,

Deputy Digital Editor

I am still worried about the place in general but looks OK for a little while at least...

• "As usual" still means "total shite" though. I can't see things improving. People have given up and gone.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    This has got me thinking about the regulars who used to post all the time before the dreaded change. Are they posting elsewhere, and if so, where? Or has it just put them off forums altogether?
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    The imminent closure of runnersworld.com fora could result in the return of a former member whose username started with a K and ended with a T (mentioning her directly is akin to saying Beetlejuice out loud three times). Oh joy...
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Ynnec said:
    The imminent closure of runnersworld.com fora could result in the return of a former member whose username started with a K and ended with a T (mentioning her directly is akin to saying Beetlejuice out loud three times). Oh joy...
    I think you'll find she has mellowed since she left this forum - along with a load of others who left, me included (just popped in out of curiosity in an idle moment).  I'm friends with KK on FB and she's not the barking mad woman she used to be on here, still bitter about many RW things but time has tempered this a fair bit.    

the forum change killed my involvement as the new one is just absolutely fucking shite.  but the friends I made here are still friends elsewhere - mainly FB.   I doubt there will ever be fora that there used to be - many sites have either gone, or are just very quiet as other social media has taken the front spot.   I'm still on some other fora - just not this one.  shame really - I had some great times on here over the years.  
  • First time I've been here in a while, long term injury and all that, I must say it's not as good as it was. A bit like Viz isn't as good as it once was. Shame really, I liked The camaraderie in the build up to big events like Outlaw.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Scream, I was a big critic, but in fairness there are some decent features on this platform compared to the old one:
    - save drafts
    - uploading pics from a phone, without worrying about a 250k size limit
    - writing posts without worrying about a limit that used to lop the bottom off of larger posts
    - email notifications work much better in that they're more configurable.

You can fairly easily see which posts/threads are new, but that was handled badly in the migration.

It's definitely far from perfect on here, but it's odd as LetsRun is still really popular as are other webforums I am a member of (football and car), so not everything has moved to Facebook.  But, all the faffing about with the migration saw lots of regulars leave in droves :( 
  • ScreamapillarScreamapillar ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I got injured and then got too  busy to post. Somewhere in the middle the format changed and everyone seemed to disappear. I decided I wasn't missing anything and have never bothered much since. Shame as there were people here that really used to make me laugh and there were some interesting debates, mostly intelligent. But all things pass.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    The place needs a new catalyst member willing to do the donkey work of high quantity disparate erratic posting. Someone likeably frazzled who's time rich and self-awareness poor. Must be someone out there who jogs a bit. Technical running subjects are all well and good but frankly for most of us running is putting one foot in front of another at speed there isn't much else to say about it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    We need a Samir.  Colin doesn't quite cut it.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    We need a Samir.  Colin doesn't quite cut it.
    I wasn't thinking of Colin. Someone to offer an interesting diversion, not someone trying to pit their Asperger's Syndrome against the rest of humanity.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Blog - 'Of Esox and Observations'.

He's yer man.

🙂

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    JT, ha, I wasn't saying you thought Colin was the man to bring a bit of life back here.  He's amusing, but not in the way the likes of Samir was.  I think Samir came across as a nice chap really, and - in the main - took it all on the chin, with his pavement PBs etc.  That video of him leading a race for a short while was brilliant.  (this has got annoying music).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJRaJCHxYmI

A bit like DF3 really, who said he was going to do XYZ at Reading(?) Half.  At least he came back on and took the stick he got though.
  • ScreamapillarScreamapillar ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Owned after about 500m  :) Mind you, Dach's plates were memorable...

Who the hell is Colin?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sam the man.

🙂

• Big_G said:
    Oh THAT Colin, he of the tinfoil hat. I would have thought Trump vs Kim Jong Un would have driven him into the bunker permanently by now. Bet he's stripped his local supermarket shelves of tins of baked beans!  :D
  • Been reading the forums over the last day or so and stumbled across this. Glad its staying.