Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just looking through the weekends results and a couple of things I seen.
    The guy who won loch Ness,I was within 9 mins of him a few weeks ago....it was only 10k but still  :D And looking at the Berlin results,what a great race Johnny Mellor had,10th and smashed his PB by 4 mins,2:12:57 must put him in the top few brits for the year.
  • Options
    Nice millage Steve, looks like you've got some decent training in. What's the target for Birmingham, are you going for a PB?

Big G - I think you are right to listen to your body, there's probably more to lose at this stage by over doing it than there is to gain from the odd run.

Stuck in the house all day, working from home as son has stomach bug. Actually looking forward to fitness class later as it will be a change in scenery!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks SK.  I'm actually feeling a bit better this evening, but I'm still not running, so that will be 3 days off.  All being well, I'll go out tomorrow if I'm feeling okay.

Ian, I hadn't really seen any of the Berlin coverage or results, but know who won it.
  • Options
    Ian, I just looked on runbritain, and Mellor's 2:12 puts him 2nd for 2017...
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that you're still not feeling right Big G.  Hopefully tomorrow you'll be feeling better. 

I managed 12k today and it was slow but felt OK. 
  • Options
    Evening all. Hope you are all well..
    Been a pretty hectic time since I last posted (ages ago). Training is in full swing with my next race 8 weeks away and although I'm not going to try get a PB I want to make it as comfortable as possible I've been keeping the speed up but for much longer runs and my long runs and split into 3 parts 1/3 warm up, 1/3 10k pace and then the last 1/3 @ MP. Feeling very positive at the moment and this weekend will be my first 20 miler.

Shades - the other day, you came as a "person you may know" suggestion on Facebook which I found strange until I realised that there were 2 people in common. Karen Summerville and Steve Edwards. They seem to be on everybody's friend lists..
     I might need to get some advice from you at some point cause a VERY CRAZY idea popped into my head..what would it take for me to run from Lands end to John O' Groats. It's a long way off and I need to do some more ultras but it's now on my bucket list. Well done on continuing in your marathon despite having a cut heel..
  • Options
    Iain - LEJOG!?!? :o
    SK - Aim is to try to PB and aim for GFA for London (3:05). However don't feel in good enough shape compared to Manchester, so will likely see on the day how the pace feels, will back off if it feels too fast and aim for a PB next year instead.

Foggy 5 mile recovery run this morning, still quite warm though.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Thats a great improvement for Mellor.
    Decided to change it up a bit today as my legs still felt lazy so went for 6@MP,actually felt ok,little tougher than I'd have liked but not too bad,legs feel a little fresher now so hopefully done the trick.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Iain, I can't get my head around running LEJOG?!  Cycling it seems just about achievable if I had no time pressures and support, but running it?  Wow!

I'm feeling a bit better today in terms of the niggles have gone away a bit....but I seem to developing a bit of a head cold!  Moan moan moan.  RHR was fine, so I went out for a 5-miler and felt okay, so let's see what I feel like tomorrow.  I'm supposed to be leading a session at the club tomorrow, but I'll see how I am in the morning.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Big G If you need me to do session I can do, I'm not doing any of the coach sessions with Cardiff at the weekend.  I was planning 7 miler as it's realisitic coach taking it and he will make sure looping happens. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jelly, I'll let you know.  For info, I'm down to lead the 4-5 mile Improvers, but I'll message you on Facebook before lunch either way.  
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That's fine, I had checked it wasn't a coach session. If I cover you I'll run in to make up mileage and drive in for other. 
  • Options
    Lovely to see you on Sunday Shades - it's been way too long! 

Sorry to hear about your foot.  Must've been a day for it. I had a blister by 6 miles, which I felt pop at 10 miles.  Rather uncomfortable run, but enjoyed it all the same.  Seems that someone has added a few hills over the last 10 years. I'm sure it wasn't that bumpy last time I ran it!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    @Cal Jones, did you make your mind up about next year's Autumn marathon?  The reason I ask is that the pre-sale for 2018s Yorkshire Marathon opens tomorrow.
  • Options
    Iain - Ultra Running Ltd do a JOGLE event each year - but it is very expensive and very tough. It's the equivalent of an ultra (approx 50+ mls each day) over 17 days and if you don't complete one day that's it - you're out. Few finishers but next year the winner gets the use of a G4 Landrover for 10 mths. On the other hand some runners (or walkers) just do their own thing. On my kindle I've got 'Road to Endorphia' by Joe Donnachie - a very laid back approach to JOGLE and a good read.  There's another book I meant to get too: 'Shake, Jogle and Roll - 29 days, 854 miles run' by Peter Rogers & John E Turner and I guess there are others too.
  • Options
    Mowzer - I've had a look at the website and yes the package is very expensive.. I was going to do it just supported by friends and family and I was going to do lejog just to make it tougher. I have a friend, who together with his wife, organise all sorts of endurance events so they can help with the planning and logistics so all I need to do is finance it and train but it is a few years off yet. Got a few races to tick off before attempting that.
  • Options
    Big G - no not yet.
    No good news from me I'm afraid. Back is still murder and the hip (pretty sure it's the TFL - same as last time) isn't much better. I went for a walk today and it was very uncomfortable. Had to stop and stretch a few times. I had to lug my laundry down to the launderette this morning and I don't think that did it any favours, but it's not like I have a choice.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm home, back yesterday early evening.   No run yet as my heel is still a little tender to touch so not sure at this stage I can even wear a pair of trainers as the cut is exactly where the cuff of the shoe touches the heel.  the stone has also gouged a big chunk out of my shoe, unlikely I'll be able to wear those shoes again unless I can find a way to plug and patch the hole so it doesn't rub my foot, there is probably still a good 200 miles of training runs that I could do in those shoes.  I certainly can't race in them again.  Luckily I had a pair of boots with me at Inverness so was able to wear them for the couple of days afterward, I went to the running shop and bought some running socks and put on 2 pairs with my boots and that was OK.

I'm going to change the dressing later this morning and then will try a little run tomorrow morning, just
    trying to get it to heal in time for Saturday's marathon.  

My bloody shoe with the hole in it !

Nessie - lovely to see you again too, I did look out for you in the food tent too but couldn't see you.   I caught up with Fraggle just before 25 miles, I thought 'who's that in a Pirate shirt' and there she was.

It's wonderful how the memory wipes out the tougher parts of a marathon course until you run it again, the last time you ran it the hill would have been slightly later in the race as they altered the route a little.   Well done on your run, blisters hurt too, hope it's healing well.

Right off to read back and catch up!

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Looks sore Shades!  Fingers crossed you'll be fine for the weekend.

My head is not right this morning (no jokes, please!), so no running for me.  Hopefully it'll stay as a head cold and won't go to my chest - I cannot miss Munich!

Question:  if my RHR is still okay this weekend, would it be okay to just run/walk around Plym Trail?  I've entered it and I don't really want to DNS if I can help it but the main race is Munich (in terms of cost), which is the weekend after so I don't want to make it worse for that.  Or shall I just see how I feel nearer the time?  I always read "if a cold is above the neck, you're fine to run.  If it's below the neck don't run", but haven't tested that theory in a marathon.

A friend gave me a massive pumpkin last night from her garden.  Looks like I'll be in pumpkin soup for days ;)    Here's a pic of the pumpkin, alongside my world famous shades for a size reference.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - you were lucky to have such a great and positive experience for your first marathon, so many find it much harder physically and mentally than they expect and are often heard to say 'never again' !

Well done at the Ladies 10k, was that a 10k PB for you too.  I love that race but don't do it often as it clashes with a marathon, it's my 10k PB course.

Keith - reassuring to see that you did get a chicken dinner after all ;)

Cal - although Loch Ness is an undulating course it's a fast course as it's net downhill, not sure Boston will take it as a qualifier because of that, London do accept it for GFA times though.  I've done it 7 times and only twice over 5 hours, this year and last year when I wasn't running so well.  It is a fabulous race, in the food tent after we finish for our free post race food and they had a good band on and there was a bunch of girls that were up dancing, despite having finished their marathon a short time before, great atmosphere.

Emmy - that 6 hour race you're doing looks great.   Is it a fine gravel surface all the way?

SK - Your son Max has that 30 year old club record well within his sight now, great running genes in your family :)

Steven - good luck at Glasgow half on Sunday, I'll be watching it on telly, let's hope they measure the course right this year!

Big G - you've had a long spell with no back problems, so maybe it is getting stronger.  But that long drive home last week probably was enough to trigger a bit of discomfort.

Ian - not like you to have trouble getting out the door to run, put it down to your dislike of tapering 

mowzer - thanks for the tip re the lavender oil, I don't have any and I've had to keep the cut dressed with blister plasters anyway due to where it is.

I watched the ladies road cycling on Saturday afternoon, it was brilliant.  Bergen looks beautiful place to visit, wonder if they have a marathon :D

Steve - that's not good planning that there's not adequate public transport in our 2nd biggest city on the day of the marathon

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I can spot that planning your Spring marathon training is helping with the taper fever.

SK - thanks for posting the top marathon times this year, they'll have to put the Loch Ness winner in there too, he did 2:22, which was 2 mins slower than last year.  He runs for a UK club so should be on RunBritain records.

Iain - what is your race in 8 weeks time?

Re FB, Steve Edwards is a very good friend of mine, we did the 10 in 10 together.  Karen I know vaguely, but I've known her OH for years.

Crikey that is a jump to start considering doing the LEJOG, :o  read everything you can about others experiences, I've read quite a few and many are horror stories.   Depending on your route, if you want to do the shortest a lot is on busy A roads and not pleasant for running and almost dangerous in places.   Are you following Mimi A? She's running  across America now, trying to do it in 53 days I think. 
    Definitely opt for LEJOG not JOGLE as that way the prevailing wind is behind you, you'll need to start doing a lot of ultra events, multiple marathons and 24 hour events.  You could even do a 6 day race that would be good preparation.

Cal - sorry to hear that you're injured, do you need physio treatment for this?

Big G - yes, if your RHR is OK and you feel that the head cold is not getting worse, i.e. that you're on the mend then you'll be fine.  But avoid anyone that you know with a cold as you are vulnerable now to picking up another and you don't want to spoil your Munich trip.

Good luck with the pumpkin, I had one half the size of that and was a real struggle to use it all up.   You can freeze the flesh in chunks and use later on.  Wash the seeds, put on a baking tray, sprinkle with good oil and sea salt and put in the oven, yummy.

The plumber/electrician is here, at last! 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    On Monday the forecast in Inverness was for heavy rain but I went out with my friend who lives up there and we went to Ullapool and Gairloch and we had the most beautiful weather

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm following Mimi A on Strava after hearing an interview she did on MarathonTALK.  Amazing thing to attempt.  I can't remember if it was on the same show, but Adam Holland got  a mention for his 10-in-10 in an average of around 2:45!!    I think Steve Edwards has been at every one of the Enigma events I've done, and also he was there at Dorney.  He was there at Gloucester too, but obviously he was way ahead of me there.  I'm tempted with his book - is it a good read, do you know?  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G  - Steve's book is very good, very open about his life.  

He's been pushing the number of marathons this year as he's doing his 800th at Birmingham.  He also likes to help race organisers by doing his bit by publishing their events where he can, FB etc.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, probably I'll get a copy then.  Those pics look great :)  

Something was a bit of a coincidence when I was in the Lakes.  I was staying in apartment in a converted house in Coniston, and did some walking from the house and put it on Strava.  It turns out that the person who was standing in for me for the race report that week, stayed next door when he was in the lakes last year some time.  It's obviously where all the best race report writers go.  :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Great pictures there,bad news the heel still isn't better,hope it heals before the weekend for you.
    You're right about me not normally struggling to get out.I think it's because I've been recovering and tapering at the same time,feeling a lot better today though.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Big G Steve's book is on my to read/buy list. 

Shades my 10k PB was at this summers Exeter 10k in
    ?July? 50:15 I was getting very frustrated as at first chance it was 50:20. So feels so close to a sub 50 and it's if I had just done this that and the other I would of got it.  After Dartvale I'm chilling as I said earlier and doing some Parkruns and shorter tempo and commit to Friday Club more. I am more realistic now you can't improve and get PB on every distance and need to chill and enjoy the events and your running. 

I'm definitely more suited to the longer distance I'm a happy runner and totally loved London wanted to do it again as soon as I finished (legs had other ideas) I would like sub 4 in Birmingham and will pace myself to achieve that but running happy will be my first aim. Might not do so much high fives but I'm sure l won't miss a dance when possible. 
  • Options
    SK - That's a great time by Mellor!
    Shades - Yes it's not great. As the start and finish are 4 miles apart they have put on a shuttle bus from the city centre to the start, but as I'm in the faster wave, I can't get into the city centre by train before the shuttle leaves at 7am! So having to stay in a hotel the night before, which seems crazy as I'm only 8 miles from the city centre. I could drive and park on the day but then need to collect my car afterwards, GF could drop me off, but doesn't know the roads that well and sat nav might mess up if roads are closed!!

First Vo2 max session since March....yuk!! 5:30am start for 9 miles with 6*600m. Struggled with this and couldn't hit target pace (aiming for 2:12). Reps were 2:14/2:16/2:23/2:17/2:13/2:18.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I prefer your race reports though, it is a small world.

Ian - yes, I'm hoping my heel is better quickly, I'm not wearing shoes today to give it a chance to heal, luckily I don't have to go out today.

Jelly - you've already achieved a lot running wise and you have a lot of PB's ahead of you, that sub 50 10km will come along when it's ready.   And you're certainly capable of a sub 4 marathon so give it your best shot and Birmingham and if it doesn't happen that day it will very soon.  

Steve - that's very frustrating re Birmingham especially as you're only 8 miles away.   Maybe next year they'll get the transport for the earlier/faster runners sorted.  Sometimes it takes a year or so for a race to slicken up the logistics side of things, I'm sure the transport issue will bring a lot of complaints.  Or they might alter the route so the start and finish aren't 4 miles apart, that creates more problems.

I'm not surprised 2:12 pace was tough at that hour of the morning :'(

Plumber has finished, all done and exactly as quote, I'm very happy with that.:)  

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I know I've mentioned it before so some will have read this already, but I still can't quite believe I saw you in Budapest that time, when you were running the marathon and I was just walking along the road with a couple of mates; I was stood one the wall for a minute or so, and there you were, in what was quite a large event!  Also, when I joined this thread, and I didn't know you were local to me - I remember I was talking about some roadworks near me, and it transpired you knew about the same road works.

Steve, that is frustrating about Birmingham for you.  I'll be interested to hear what it's like, as I did consider it, but went for Abingdon instead.

I probably shouldn't really be doing this as I'm supposed to be convalescing, but I seem to be researching marathons well in to next year.  Bad behaviour!  Fortunately, I've only booked one so far this morning, and I've now put my wallet/card in another room.  :)